Archive for Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Haskell gets $1.6 million federal grant to make academic and administrative improvements

Ask administration, and it will say the $1.6 million federal grant should be spent on improving education at the school. Ask students, though, and they say the university needs more staff.

September 29, 2010

Haskell Indian Nations University is getting another $1.645 million from the federal government to help improve academic quality, institutional management and fiscal stability.

The U.S. Department of Education this week disclosed that it would provide Haskell with the grant as part of a department program for tribally controlled colleges and universities. The money becomes available Friday, for use during the next 12 months.

Stephen Prue, who works in the Haskell president’s office, said the money would help boost services in the Haskell Success Center, designed to provide centralized advising, retention, outreach and career-placement services.

The center, new this semester, is intended to help improve student engagement on a campus whose overall graduation rate — the combined total for students pursuing two-year associate’s degrees and four-year bachelor’s degrees — is 26 percent.

Because the grant is “new money,” Prue said, it is above and beyond the university’s annual allocation of $14.2 million as approved by Congress.

“This is very exciting news for us,” Prue said. “This will give us some opportunities, some resources, to improve retention and placement.”

To start, Prue said, the money likely will be used to add two retention specialists at the school, which is run by the federal government for American Indians and has an enrollment this semester of nearly 1,000 students from about 150 tribes.

Other eligible expenses for grant money include curriculum development and academic instruction; administrative management; establishing or improving endowment funds; and construction, maintenance, renovation and improvement of classroom, library, laboratory and other instructional facilities.

Comments

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 2 months ago

I suggest for the retention program to include full tuition reimbursement when a student graduates with a 4 year degree.

enoughalready 4 years, 2 months ago

Good idea. Where would the funds come from to reimburse students? I'm just asking. Didn't they have a similar center (to the Success Center) in place.. then they did away with it a couple yrs back maybe more?

Carol Bowen 4 years, 2 months ago

I thought Haskell did not charge tuition.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 2 months ago

Two new retention specialists? Hmm.. I wonder who they will be...? Hmm. I can think of a few apologists who would be splendid candidates to get onto the scandal rolls. The more the merrier, but two new members would take away from the rest of the family til so, what to do about this?

NMXeagle 4 years, 2 months ago

"I wonder who they will be...?"

Members of the same family will be hired, of course. And just watch what happens.

Practicality 4 years, 2 months ago

How about using the money earmarked for Administrative purposes to get rid of the current group of administrators and inept faculty and replacing them with highly qualified candidates?

frank mcguinness 4 years, 2 months ago

I hope that some day Haskell has a high graduation rate (70%+) and that the students use the educations to help out their communities.

Carol Bowen 4 years, 2 months ago

Thank you. I appreciate reading about an actual goal. The politicking above looks nasty and counterproductive.

slowplay 4 years, 2 months ago

You don't read the blogs on this site very often , do you?

katatnite 4 years, 2 months ago

It sounds like nothing more then a TERO grant too me. I don't understand with such a dismal graduation rate why any money is going into Haskell? They should pack the students up, shut the doors and send them to KU for a real education and degree. Is that gag order still in place for Haskell employees? Who is Steve Prue?

katatnite 4 years, 2 months ago

Why does a university have two year degrees??????

mdrndgtl 4 years, 2 months ago

The students don't pay tuition and the graduation rate is %26?

CheyenneWay 4 years, 1 month ago

the students pay tuition, and the government by treaty law must ensure that all first nations people have access to an higher education. It was paid in lives and signed in blood.

number3of5 4 years, 2 months ago

Just how many of you commenters are Native and have attended Haskell college? As an alumni, they do offer a real education. Many of these students come from Native communities and view education, competition, and in general world views different from the average white student. So, how many of you have gathered your facts and data to be able to open your mouths competently.

oxandale 4 years, 2 months ago

I have looked at their degree granting programs, and they appear to be limited. They have associate degrees in speech communications, business admin, social work, theathre, and a couple of bachelor degress, such as management and tribal management, environmental science, along with American Indian Studies. These are all fine, but what about other degree programs that are not offered there? Such as Nursing? I would imagine that there are individuals there that are interested in Nursing, Computer Science, Law Enforcement, Antrhopology, Geology, just to name a few. Individuals who want to purse that kind of education will have to go to KU, or some place else.

myrymyster 4 years, 2 months ago

its a university so I completely agree with more programs. I would like to see a criminal justice program and nursing program among others. Spend the money on teachers, books, dorms, staff, security. There are not enough courses offered at Haskell.

lawdog 4 years, 2 months ago

Many of us did graduate from Haskell and went on to pursue our education at KU. I have 3 friends who received their Masters Degrees in Social Welfare from KU.

***Haskell made this possible for many of us****

My sister graduated from KU's School of Law with a Juris Doctorate! I received my degree in Social Welfare and put my degree to good use. I work in Kansas City with an Outreach Program that serves primarily Non-Natives and Hispanic Americans. My sister and I use our Haskell / KU Education, not just for Native Americans but for all Non-Native Diversities as well.

new2blog 4 years, 2 months ago

Good for you and I mean that. You are one of the nine percent that made it. Unfortunately taxpayers can no longer justify keeping the doors of Haskell open for a handful of graduates.

DevsAdvocate 4 years, 2 months ago

read up on your history and maybe you wouldn't be making such an ignorant comment.

walleye9898 4 years, 2 months ago

With an enrollment of roughly 1,000 and annual expenditure of 15.8 million, they would be better served to give each student $15,800 per year to be utilized strictly for tuition/fees for classes at the College/University of their choice.

For $15.8 million, you could send roughly 3,100 native american students to Johnson County Community College a year and they cold have much better degree/program/curriculum choices.

This would improve the efficient use of taxpayers dollars and tremendously cut all the fraud & waste at a Federal Government institution. Cut the payroll, get rid of the employees, shut the place down, and sell the property. Put the proceeds back into the native american tuition fund.

new2blog 4 years, 2 months ago

How many employees versus students does Haskell currently have? If the employee number is high for that ratio, with the small amount of graduates Haskell currently has ( nine percent ) then I would have to agree that whoever is running Haskell at this point is not doing their job and both taxpayers and students would be better served if the students were given money too attend elsewhere. I am a little perplexed as too why a university has any associate degrees? Associate degrees belong to junior colleges not universities. At this point I am in agreement with walleye 9898.

DevsAdvocate 4 years, 2 months ago

if more money was given to haskell, then maybe more bachelor degrees would be offered. more money means; more teachers, more courses offered, better books which equals better education.

hawks1313 4 years, 2 months ago

Yeah the graduation rate is 26% because the students don't have to pay tuition. No motivation when the money isn't coming out of your own pocket. It's pathetic! Nobody has any room to complain about adminitration or anything else for that matter when they get all of their schooling for free while all the white students are paying thousands of dollars every semester to get an education... It's a whole new form of racism...

enoughalready 4 years, 2 months ago

Excuse me... Haskell students don't get their schooling for free... because you have many students living off campus who pay rent/mortgages, child care, car maintenance/gas and all other living expenses so nope its not racism don't even try and play that card... are you kidding me...seriously?.. And last time I looked not all the students enrolled at Haskell come from Lawrence or the surrounding towns... so they have to pay expenses to get to school just like all the other non-native students whatever racial background they come from who go to college. So until you've walked a thousand miles in my moccasins don't even hum that song to me.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 2 months ago

"It's a whole new form of racism" ++++ Actually it is compliance with certain laws that the US is upholding, not to the best of their ability but, upholding the law regardless.

katatnite 4 years, 2 months ago

You are right, it is a waste of the taxpayers money. They are a school, a school educates, with a nine percent graduation rate and two degrees, no one can really justify giving them anymore money. Too do what with? Hire more faculty that the students can't find anyway? The treaties of free education end with the 12th grade. Taxpayers have grown tired of paying for Haskell. Was it not announced today that they have yet another acting president ? What a mess. If they are going to keep their doors open, then the current leadership ( if you can call them that ) needs too be fired and then bring back Dr. Warner, she was their last hope.

Mike Ford 4 years, 2 months ago

hedleylamarr, the reason the monies go there is that they appiled for the grants. many indigenous communities apply for grants. Not every federally recognized tribe has gaming and not every casino is successful. Furthermore, the tuition comes from the trust responsibility that this country and it's plenary power and it's US Congress and it's US Constitution has for taking the land you live on from the Kaw, Delaware, Osage and Shawneee tribes and still occupying it. Learn something before you talk please....

friendofhaskell 4 years, 2 months ago

the LJW's decision to allow the author of this blog a place for unfettered attack on Haskell once more (it was shut down for a couple of months) demonstrates the level of hatred this community holds for Haskell. While other newspapers are eliminating anonymous blogs, LJW continues it ongoing assault by providing a forum for the Haskell Haters who are doing everything they can to sabotage progress and to close the doors of Haskell. They are the proverbial crabs in the bucket who can't stand to see Haskell moving forward. Instead they want to pull Haskell down rather than standing proud for what this award represents for the future.

new2blog 4 years, 2 months ago

This isn't a blog, it's an article written by a LJW reporter. I don't believe that people hate Haskell. They dislike what it has become. If a nine percent graduation rate is moving forward for Haskell, then I have to jump on the it needs to be closed band wagon. I don't think anyone can or should try to justify that number. Crabs in the bucket, try to pull it down? How much further can it go? There is no where to go with that blame except too put it on the current administration.

hawks1313 4 years, 2 months ago

Yes we should be proud of Haskell for all of their "accomplishments". What a JOKE! A 26% graduation rate people! Lets put that million towards a school that actually has a successful graduation rate, that's my vote. Can you really blame the "haters"? Facts speak for themselves friendofhaskell

lawnface272 4 years, 2 months ago

Maybe that 1.6 million will help teach the students common courtesy, and how not to throw things at white kids walking to South Jr. High or LHS. I would have appreciated that when I cut through on the way to and from school. I could have done without being called a "cracker", and my native friends "traders" too. This went on almost once a week for three years, so it wasn't just an incident or two. Of course, maybe we just shouldn't have set foot on such a... kind and caring campus.

lawdog 4 years, 2 months ago

***Haskell made this possible for many of us****

new2blog 4 years, 2 months ago

screen_name 4 years, 2 months ago

I got a scanned copy of the print version of this article in my email and it is a completely different article than the on-line version. The print version has VC quoted about all the wonderful things she plans to do with 1.6 million, and this version has no mention of her and only quotes Steve Prue. Why is that? And Steve's quote about 2 retention specialists being hired sounds exactly like the TRIO grant at Haskell, which is not a new grant. They've had this grant for 9 years and just got refunded again.

NMXeagle 4 years, 2 months ago

Congratulations lawdog. No one is saying there are no success stories out of Haskell, or that the school is worthless. But you and your family seem to be among the few exceptions. Tell us about more Haskell grads who earned some heavy-duty degrees at research institutions and your argument will carry more weight. Indian Studies doesn't count.

The HINU graduation rate has been mentioned in this paper as less than 10%. Where did the 26% come from?

I noticed the same thing, screenname. What gives, LJW? One might wonder if VC is going to try and take credit for something that has already been done. It boggles the mind that anyone thinks she will do something worthwhile.

screen_name 4 years, 2 months ago

The whole student success center or whatever VC is calling it isn't a new idea either...so yes, she is taking credit for something that has already been done. They had a Student Academic Advising Center funded by Title 3 back in the day, and that was Dawn Tato's work. They were supposed to institutionalize that program and those positions but they let it go. Now they are using an old idea and calling it new and innovative. The new TRIO grants were awarded this year, and at Haskell they call the TRIO workers "retention specialists". The TRIO program and the Title 3 program are 2 separate grants.

So now I"m wondering too, if this new grant they're talking about isn't just the TRIO grant. If it is, then they are in for a rude awakening about how they can spend that money. VC had said in the print version that they planned to hire new people to run the student success center, or whatever they are calling the old SADC, to build infrastructure, to improve their IT services, and to improve their on-line course offerings. Hate to break it to the ol' girl, but 1.6 million isn't a whole lot of money when she speaks of spending it like she "envisions", and there are strict regulations on what you can spend TRIO funds on.

DevsAdvocate 4 years, 2 months ago

more money equals better education. i would be happy to pay more in fees than i do now but so i would have a better, more solid education. the reason graduation rate is so low is because many students cannot afford to attend school, even if tuition and fees are already so low. many of these students come from very poversh families. i would go to a different college if it was financially practical.

i go to haskell and i think fees should be raised or tribes should put their money into the school. over a hundred years later, should we really expect the federal government to live up to their "promises"?

will2017 3 years, 7 months ago

I know this is an old post but I get tired of people saying the money should go somewhere else. I graduated with an Elementary Education degree (one you failed to mention earlier). Over 150 students graduated on 05-07-2011 with me. The reason the numbers look so low is because they do not count the students who graduate with AA's. (I have two degrees from Haskell) So there are a lot of students who get a 2 year degree and go other places to get a degree they want. (They still offer AA's at Haskell because Haskell used to be a Community College) Stop crying. The fact is the government HAS to give that money to Haskell, it's called a treaty. I'm mostly white and I had my ups and downs at Haskell but I'd gladly take any of my Haskell brothers and sisters over the trash talkers I see on here all the time. William Lavine.