Archive for Monday, September 27, 2010

Go!

Treating like with like: Lawrence community increasingly turns to homeopathy

Farb harvests her garden with her youngest daughter Samantha, 12, at her Lecompton home.

September 27, 2010

“Word of mouth has led to a growing interest in homeopathy,” says Lowen Millspaugh, assistant wellness manager at the Community Mercantile, 901 Iowa. “More people want to take healing into their own hands and they like homeopathy’s lack of side-effects.”

Mehdi Khosh, a naturopathic doctor, is pictured in his office at Natural Medical Care, 4935 Research Park Way. Khosh says he’s been practicing homeopathic medicine for about 13 years.

JoAnn Farb is pictured with a drawer of various homeopathic remedies Thursday at her home. Farb became a believer in homeopathic remedies about 15 years ago when she sought the help of a homeopath in Australia for help with her daughter Sarina’s eczema.

Homeopathy is based on the principle “treat like with like.” For example, if you get itching, watery eyes and a runny nose from peeling onions and develop similar symptoms during an acute cold or allergy attack, a homeopath might prescribe a micro-dose of allium cepa (red onion) to help you recover. This approach contrasts with allopathic medicine’s general approach where symptoms are suppressed or eradicated with opposing substances like antibiotics.

Development of homeopathy

References to the “treat like with like” principle can be traced back to Greek physician Hippocrates (c.460-377 B.C.) and Persian physician, Avicenna (980-1037), who also emphasized the importance of considering the patient’s temperament and physiological type when deciding treatment options. His 12-volume “Canon of Medicine” and “Book of Healing” were used in European medical schools until the beginning of the 20th century, and are still used by homeopaths today.

For example, you and your partner may seek homeopathic treatment for acute, dry, hacking coughs. Your partner, with identical symptoms, may find they worsen during evenings or when she hot; she might like spicy food, have a fiery nature, and be taller and smaller-boned than you. Your cough may worsen in the mornings or when you’re cold, and you may have a sweet tooth and nature to match. You will each receive a different homeopathic remedy for your cough.

Homeopathy locally

Lawrence naturopath Mehdi Khosh, Natural Medical Care, 4935 Research Park Way, treats about 35 percent of his patients with homeopathy. He says some initial visits might last three hours but that it’s cost-effective in the long run.

“We don’t give a homeopathic remedy for a disease, we give the remedy for a person so it’s important to know them well,” he says. “I ask questions about their likes, dislikes, dreams, background, personality traits, fears and lifestyle. I also observe their outward appearance and gestures. Sometimes chronic conditions are rooted in childhood trauma, and I need to be sensitive to that. It’s important for me to give the right remedy so the person can begin to heal at all levels.”

JoAnn Farb, from rural Lawrence, has a microbiology background and didn’t believe in homeopathy until 15 years ago. During a visit to Australia her 1-year-old daughter’s eczema worsened, and friends recommended a homeopathic doctor.

“Six weeks after seeing the homeopath her eczema cleared completely, and I was totally surprised,” Farb says.

“I was amazed by the obvious outward changes. Her whole demeanor changed, and she lost her fear of the ocean and flying.”

Farb has used homeopathy since then with some pretty dramatic personal results.

“It’s particularly helpful for emotional issues,” she says.

Self-treatments

Mercantile customer Jevon Groenewold self-treats with homeopathic remedies

“I had severe asthma as a child and was dependent on strong medications,” he says.

“My mom took me to a homeopathic doctor, and after several treatments I came off medications and my immune system got stronger. I’ve been using it ever since.”

He uses ignatia, byronia and aconite remedies regularly.

Comments

AlwaysHappy 3 years, 6 months ago

autie, I think you should seek some help to manage your anger. If you google I am sure there will a good Homeopathic remedy for it. Happiness brings good to your heart.

booyalab 3 years, 6 months ago

I think homeopathy might get it right in some ways. There's the placebo effect and in the example of the patients with different eating habits, that can definitely effect the healing process. But on the first thing, why would you PAY someone so much money for what is essentially a prescription for a more optimistic outlook. On the second, the interaction between lifestyle habits and physical illness did nor originate and is not excluded to homeopathy. It's not about holistic wellness, it involves specific chemical processes that mainstream scientific medicine is well aware of. For instance, I'm getting over a cold and I wanted to make sure it doesn't turn into bronchitis like it often does with me. So I did some research online and found out that I have to avoid dairy and sugar because they both can lead to chest congestion. Now, a homeopath might have told me that. But she also probably would have told me a bunch of other things that would be completely redundant...like eat 2 grapefruits, drip some wax on your aura and sing to Gaia while doing yoga stretches on a hemp yoga mat sprinkled with linseed.

autie 3 years, 6 months ago

Homeopathy can work? No, Mike, it can't. Healthy living, eating right and exercise go a long, long way in staying in the pink though....

My daughter touted the claims with some stupid flu preventive..(because vaccines are the evil work of the debil)...titrated back 1:200 so many times that it was mathematically impossible for the solution to contain a single molecule of the original substance. Quantify that tree huggers. I would have to admit though...for those of a weak mind and little self esteem, the placebo effect seems to be wonderful.

BorderRuffian 3 years, 6 months ago

Homeopathy isn't some insidious sort of anti-gay thing, it is?

Kyle Reed 3 years, 6 months ago

"Homeopathy can work."

So can crossing your fingers and wishing upon a star. I don't think I'm going to bet my life it however.

If they want people to take this kind of thing seriously do some clinical trials. Otherwise hope for a starry night next time you get sick.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 6 months ago

Medical insurance companies do not provide health care. Why pay them? Many with medical insurance have filed bankruptcy.

Pharmaceuticals do not cure anything. They relieve symptoms an M.D. once said.

Rest exercise and diet can be a major contributor to good health and a substantial immune system.

Once Maalox might have been a part of my life. Instead Aloe Vera Juice,liquid acidophilus and creamed papaya were suggested. The symptom disappeared and has never returned. This was more than 30 years ago. Acidophilus by way of yogurt is a daily matter because I learned it is excellent for the digestive system.

Homeopathy can work.

Green Vibrance, and whole food vitamins are fine for supplements but will never replace a produce aisle loaded with herbs,fruits and vegetables. The Merc carries several labels of all.

Also Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis Balch is a good reference book for the home.

nathanandrew 3 years, 6 months ago

This is wonderful news for Lawrence. There have been many clinical trials proving the effectiveness of homeopathy. The quackwatch-type comments above originate from big pharma - these companies are threatened by the loss of profits when people are healed through homeopathy.

frador 3 years, 6 months ago

This is major quackery. Supposedly the more diluted the substance, the stronger it is. Some of the "stronger" potions are diluted to the point that there would be a single molecule of the "effective" ingredient in all the oceans of the world. So it's basically water. There's no science whatsoever behind this.

HedleyLamarrr 3 years, 6 months ago

a friend went to homeopathic practitioner. She was told to take vitamins and was given a bill for $240. That gave us a good laugh.

autie 3 years, 6 months ago

If you believe in charlatans and witch doctors homeopathy may be for you. I believe quackery is a more apt description. That goes double for "Dr." Khosh. Naturopathy if nothing but fakery and fraud. A fool and his money are soon parted and these guys got it.