Archive for Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lawrence priest meets pope for second time

September 23, 2010

Meeting the pope is something many would place in the “once in a lifetime experience” category.

But local Catholic priest Vince Krische, chaplain emeritus at the St. Lawrence Catholic Center at Kansas University, met a pope for the second time during a recent trip to England.

Krische met Pope John Paul II in Vatican City in February 2005, and he briefly met Pope Benedict during a trip to England last week.

He didn’t get much of a chance to talk with the pope, but he performed the ceremonial kissing of the pope’s ring.

“It’s a lot closer than a lot of people ever get,” he said.

Krische said the trip was even more memorable as he was able to witness the beatification — the third of four steps in the canonization process — of John Henry Newman.

Krische had been studying the teachings of Newman, a 19th century Anglican scholar, since he arrived at the St. Lawrence Center in the 1970s.

Krische said Newman served as an inspiration for him, further affirming the need for theological education at colleges and universities.

“I became fascinated with him,” Krische said.

So when Krische received a call offering him the chance to honor Newman at the ceremony in England, where he’d also meet Pope Benedict, he jumped at it.

“I responded right away,” he said.

Krische left the United States for England Sept. 14 and returned Monday. He joined other priests and clergy, touring numerous historic landmarks in England.

Comments

Bobo Fleming 4 years, 2 months ago

The pope's visit was very historic. Now maybe Edward can marry a Catholic. Would have to change British law. I understand that Kate the girl he has been seeing for a long time is Catholic and that has been a problem for Edward.

Confrontation 4 years, 2 months ago

It must be incredibly exciting to meet a man who helped cover up the sexual abuse of so many children. Disgusting.

alfie 4 years, 2 months ago

Father Krische is a great guy, very enjoyable to be around

BigPrune 4 years, 2 months ago

Monsignor Krische is a very cool dude. Like a younger version of Dick Van Dyke.

grammaddy 4 years, 2 months ago

Agreed! He gave me my First Communion and performed my Confirmation. Maybe if there were more like him, I'd still be going to Mass.

KayCee 4 years, 2 months ago

There are a lot more like him. So you quit going to Mass because of the sins of a minority of priests? The Church always teaches against those SINS and always will.

randyh 4 years, 2 months ago

Please allow me to buy you the book The Lamb's Supper by Scott Hahn-SERIOUSLY-buy one on-line right now and I will reimburse you up to $10. See you at Mass!

KS 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey dudes! If you can't say anything nice, don't way anthing at all. Where are your manners?

Jimo 4 years, 2 months ago

I think that attitude is precisely what got us to the systemic abuse of children.

One shows love and devotion to the institution and office by holding those men so entrusted to account. Those who don't, say only nice things.

mbulicz 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm sorry, I was unaware that organizations that systematically hide and defend pedophiles might have their feelings hurt.

I guess I should call up NAMBLA and offer them an apology, too.

[/sarcasm]

John Kyle 4 years, 2 months ago

A wonderful analysis of the Catholic Church and how it is not a force for good in the world: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbvr0m_shortfilms

Keith 4 years, 2 months ago

Yes, let's all politely discuss the world's largest organization for defending pedophiles.

Kash_Encarri 4 years, 2 months ago

Yes, because pedophiles in other religions, fraternal organizations, youth groups, etc., etc. don't exist and/or are exposed immediately.

It is more publicized regarding the Catholic Church because the church has deeper pockets. Kind of funny (funny peculiar, not funny ha, ha) regarding the accusations that have come against the members of some of the new mega-churches lately. Did those preachers just decide to start taking advantage of their position, did the people come forward because there was money to be had, or did the news organizations latch on to those claims because it made the headlines bigger?

deec 4 years, 2 months ago

Every time the topic of pedophilia in the priesthood comes up, inevitably someone starts posting the "well, he did it, too!" defense. This didn't fly with my kids when they were growing up. I wonder why these church members feel it is a valid defense.

Kash_Encarri 4 years, 2 months ago

Did I defend the pedophillia? Are you sure I'm a church member? The answer to both of those is no.

I simply pointed out that there are many more cases that aren't publicized simply because they aren't as "sexy" for the news media.

The US Department of Health & Human Services reported 84,000 cases reported in 2005 (how many unreported???), that would be some awfully busy clergy if it were only the Catholic Church.

How about the fact that the US Department of Education reports that nearly 10% of all students are targets of educator misconduct at least once sometime during their school career? Where's the outrage?

I don't have direct "proof" that you are asking for Defender, it's kind of hard to prove a negative. These two little tidbits should give you something to chew on though besides your toenails.

No deec, far from ignoring the problem with the Catholic Church I am more incensed that everyone would seemingly prefer to take the point of singling out one entity and ignoring so much more of the problem.

deec 4 years, 2 months ago

Perhaps because this particular entity A) holds itself out as the arbiter of society's morals; B) systematically covered up the problem for decades; C) has a long history of physical and sexual abuse throughout the world. My error: I should have said "church members and others". Define "educational misconduct".
And my point still stands. The "others do it, too" argument gets brought up nearly every time there is a story about Catholic perverts. It is a feeble attempt to divert attention from the issue of sexual abuse and the subsequent systematic coverup carried on by the hierarchy of the church.

dipweed 4 years, 2 months ago

Vince Krische may indeed be a kind, wonderful man. The pope however is not a great man. For the faithful to blindly follow this pedophile coverup 'leader' is, well....sinful.

royalpain 4 years, 2 months ago

The two popes he met were different men. So he did meet the pope twice. It's not like they change popes every 4 years - try to follow a little closer.

ahimsa 4 years, 2 months ago

Let's not forget the misogyny. Here's a powerful institution that still denies women as spiritual equals. So glad I abandoned this antiquated, crusty, old institution as a teenager. And Pope Bene-DICK---YUCK!!!

Bobo Fleming 4 years, 2 months ago

Yes but there is still the sacrament of confession so Ahimsa it's never too late for you to get back into the Church.

ahimsa 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh my god I am heartily sorry for having offended thee. It's been 35 years since my last confession and these are my sins...I Hate You!

deec 4 years, 2 months ago

"I'm sorry I cheated on my wife again. I promise not to do it anymore." That confession?

frank mcguinness 4 years, 2 months ago

If I ever got the chance to meet the pope I GUARANTEE it would make national news. Those would be real black eyes he would have.

blindrabbit 4 years, 2 months ago

The pope has a jaded history; been a lot of speculation on what was he doing during WW2 in Nazi Germany. One of the greatest travesties was the interaction between the Catholic Church, the Nazi's and the persecution of many non-Aryan peoples. Both "The Church" and Nazi Germany were heavily involved into idol idolization.