Archive for Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Report: Mangino hired by Minnesota

Kansas Head Football Coach Mark Mangino awaits the beginning of the KU-Memphis game on Monday, April 7, 2008 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.

September 22, 2010

Out of football for a little more than nine months, former Kansas University head coach Mark Mangino apparently is back in the game.

KSTP Channel 5, an ABC affiliate in Minneapolis, is reporting that Mangino had been hired as a consultant to University of Minnesota football coach Tim Brewster.

Several Minnesota media outlets reported over the weekend that Mangino was on the Gophers’ sideline during their loss to USC last Saturday.

On Wednesday afternoon, University of Minnesota officials refuted the report in response to an email sent by the Journal-World late Tuesday night.

Mangino has talked in the past about his respect for Brewster and the two coaches, along with their wives, Mary Jane and Cathy, have been friends for some time.

“Minnesota has made huge strides in their second season under Tim Brewster,” Mangino said in December of 2008 shortly after accepting a bowl bid to play the Gophers in the Insight Bowl. “They are making outstanding progress and will be a formidable bowl opponent.”

The Jayhawks won the game, 42-21, but a little more than a year later, Mangino, 53, was out at KU, resigning under pressure last December after an investigation into his conduct toward players in the KU program.

Mangino spent eight seasons in charge of the KU football program. He compiled a 50-48 overall record, making him the first KU head coach to have a winning record since Jack Mitchell went 44-42-5 from 1958-66. He left two wins shy of the school’s all-time wins record, which was set by A.R. Kennedy, who finished 52-9-4 from 1904-10.

The Manginos left Lawrence in May for Naples, Fla., where they purchased a home.

Comments

emaw 4 years, 2 months ago

Owners of the local buffet joints in Minnesota just cried.

BruceWayne 4 years, 2 months ago

I notice that you are the first to comment on articles about KU. My guess is 1) you are a Jayhawk that likes to stir the pot or 2) you are the typical Silo Tech fan that wants your school to be just like Kansas. Kansas always has and always will be top dog in this state and you know it. Always a bridesmaid you are. EMAW? really?EMAW? so desperate to have the Rock chalk chant, pay heed, beak em' hawks, on and on. How many banners you all got hanging? None. Win something...anything, and then talk your trash. EGIN!

CLARKKENT 4 years, 2 months ago

BWAYNE--REALLY DON'T THINK ANYBODY WANTS TO BE LIKE CROOKED KANSAS. AS FOR THAT CHANT, WE PROBABLY WILL NOT HAVE TO HEAR IT DURING THIS FOOTBALL SEASON. THINK YOU ALREADY GOT YOUR TOKEN WIN.

BE LIKE KU, THANKS BUT NO THANKS

BruceWayne 4 years, 2 months ago

so egin I ask....what has Silo Tech won? how many national championships? conference?

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 2 months ago

Geez, Bruce. Feeling threatened by KSU all of a sudden? I thought everybody could have fun making jokes about Mangino's gi-normous gut.
He doesn't even work for KU anymore. Why so defensive brah?

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 2 months ago

How many FBI investigations being conducted at Silo Tech?

BruceWayne 4 years, 2 months ago

Ricky- what a sa-nappy comeback! so clever! right up there with "I know you are but what am I?" EGIN! Watch out for that bri.............

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

EMAW: every man and woman admitted to KSU no matter what the IQ

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 2 months ago

Mangino is a terrific coach. Firing him was a mistake for KU and Lew Perkins.

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 2 months ago

What choice did the university have? Clearly, he overstepped his bounds as a coach. If he had recruited better players, he wouldn't have had to act like a maniac on the sidelines or in practice. In his case, the ends did not justify the means. Face it, he was some kind of lucky to win the Orange Bowl. The stars had to line up just right--we never beat OU or Texas or Texas Tech. Mizzou lost twice to the Sooners, and VT was a very mediocre BCS team that year. I am a KU fan, but also realistic. I'm glad that he's gone. We may return to mediocrity, but at least we will have some self respect under TG.

Richard Payton 4 years, 2 months ago

Glen Mason was the Gopher's coach after his time as a Jayhawk also.

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

that was the first thing I thought also....so now we know where Turner Gill's next job will be, right?

Bob Forer 4 years, 2 months ago

It is curious that his official title is "consultant." The NCAA has limits on the number of coaches a football team may have. In the past, certain schools have tried to circumvent these limits by hiring individuals as "consultants" rather than as coaches, and have been found to be in violation of NCAA rules.

riverdrifter 4 years, 2 months ago

I thought the same. Might have to do with his severance agreement with KU.

John Reher 4 years, 2 months ago

I, for one, wish the big man well. He undoubtedly made mistakes while here in Lawrence but he also made the football program one that people respected. I hope that he will have success in the future and, hopefully, learn from the errors he made here.

Majestic42 4 years, 2 months ago

At least he'll be able to stay warm up there.

randerson 4 years, 2 months ago

Hope he does well after resurrecting the football program again from the mid 90s even after making mistakes. The Orange Bowl season was the first time since the '92 season that KU football really came up on my radar.

drnater 4 years, 2 months ago

good luck coach! as far as emaw goes, I find it funny that ku used to be referred as ku & ksu, so state not only wants to be like us, but they stole one of our nicknames... random fact for the day, ksu comes from the original rock chalk chant, which was rah rah jayhawks, go ksu. so in essence you did steal our chant... and you do want to be like us... why else would you steal it?

CHEEZIT 4 years, 2 months ago

Was wondering the other day when EMAW was dogging KU if K-States record in football was still one of the worst. Sorry even with Snyder they are still there!!! Hopefully, EMAW he'll live long enough to get them out of that hole!!!

Jay Keffer 4 years, 2 months ago

Welcome to Minny. He will step in after Brewster is fired - what a disaster. Even worse than Mason. The Gophers have a killer new stadium, now time to do something with it.

gccs14r 4 years, 2 months ago

It's astounding that Mangino can find work at all, considering what a healthcare risk he is and the horrible conditioning example he sets for the athletes. It's a bad sign if you get winded while eating or sweat on the toilet.

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

I check back to LJ World every now and then just to see news from my home town and all of you arrogant squawk fans are making me remember why I couldn't wait to get out of there this year! Hope you all have fun watching UK get pounded this entire football season! Oh and we probably won't have to hear that stupid chant in basketball either. Although if that happens your fan base will all most likely shoot themselves. We can only hope right? Adios beakers! Can't wait to see if I get any responses!

Robert Rauktis 4 years, 2 months ago

"UK get pounded"...you left town as a babe and are ignorant, dislike Kentucky, or are a complete liar.

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

"you left town as a babe"- No I'm a freshman in college and lived the first 18 years in Lawrence.

"dislike Kentucky"- Once again no. You all are just apparently to stupid to know which word comes first in your name. The University of Kansas would be UK not KU but it's ok common sense isn't for everyone.

"complete liar"- Nope everything i said was the truth. Outside of your pathetic bandwagon fan base nobody holds the high opinion of UK fans that they seem to think they deserve.

Thanks for the fun response though!

Majestic42 4 years, 2 months ago

Flagged. We don't need your kind (troll) around here. Bugger off.

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

Awwww poor baby doesn't like it when some mean K-State fan points out the obvious :( hahahaha Lawrence is still where my parents live and still my hometown. I have just as much of a right to post here as you! Toughen up buttercup! Call me a troll all you want, I really couldn't care! Haha

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

Straight from ku.edu "The University of Kansas"

"The University of Kansas" should = UK

Due to idiocy "The University of Kansas" = KU

thebcman = doesn't know the name of your own university = moron

Nice try though :)

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

UK get pounded... yeah, Kentucky will get pounded a lot this year, you got that one right.

Escapee 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm with ya Freestater! Mangino wasn't within his boundaries with his actions upon termination...however...thugs get recruited (thank you for making that part of the equation 'acceptable' Lew Perkins!) and they sometimes require to be 'managed' like thugs....

He didn't do anything different than any other successful college coach does these days. Doesn't make it right, though. The problem goes much deeper than Mangino's behavior. It begins with lowering the bar to allow thugs to play ball in our tax paid universities. You don't meet the requirements...you don't play ball.

The first job of a secondary institution is to EDUCATE young men and women. To play a sport is a privilege. One that should be EARNED and respected...on all sides. It shouldn't be necessary to scream and yell at athletes. Nor should it be necessary to squeal like a baby when the coach calls your bluff.

I'm with you, Freestater...and I'm not even a football fan. Lawrence has a virus. It's called stupidity....

jaholder 4 years, 2 months ago

After watching KU play the last 3 games I'm convinced that firing Coah Mangino and hiring Turner Gill was a massive mistake and was likely nothing more than an affirmative action hiring on the part of KU.

drnater 4 years, 2 months ago

@jaholder- do you not realize that Mangino ended the season last year on a 7 game losing streak? Or the fact that after the Orange Bowl victory, our core team that was suppose to have such high expectations as jr.s & sr.s ended with a losing record. Manginos teams weren't being successful under him, so the "poking" was the perfect scapegoat. how do expect a team that only won what 4 games last year, to win more with a new coach and new system? @freestater, funny you would even bring basketball into this, do you not realize that we hve just as much if not more talent ready to play this year?

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

Rigggghhtt because losing your 3 leading scorers won't hurt you at all! All you have is Marcus Morris! Which don't get me wrong he's good! But your front court will struggle against K-State this year. And with Pullen leading the back court you probably won't have much luck there either even if Selby is cleared to play. Saying you have more talent than last year is foolish.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure U of M will see their share of violations with Mangina around, but I'll guarantee they'll win more games than KU with Turner Gill's shaky hand at the helm.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 2 months ago

Congratulations to all parties. Mark and Mary Jane are very nice people. I wish them well.

drnater 4 years, 2 months ago

@freestate your lack of knowledge of ku for someone who grew up here baffles me. The funny thing is everyone said the same thing after we won the National Championship, when we lost all 5 starters, and only returned 2 players, with only 1 of them having significant playing time. Funny thing is the next year we came out and won the Big 12 for the 4th year in a row. Yet, you still doubt. All im gonna say is every year for the past 6 years I've been told that were not gonna be as good. Just remember were not State, Mizzou, Texas, UNC, or Kentucky. We don't rebuild, we retool and go right back to the big dance. Look out Self will have this team ready, and don't overlook Robinson, Johnson, Little, and Releford. All of which barely played last year, with Little starting 2 years ago.

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

Yeah and K-State wasn't as good that year as they will be this year. I'm not saying UK won't be good but don't be surprised if KSU or Baylor dethrones you! None of your guys can replace the skill and leadership of Collins and if you think any of your big guys are as good as Cole you're insane. And those names don't scare me in the least. How about Kelly, Samuels, Aspirilla, Judge, Pullen, Russell, Irving, and Williams. Look Self is a GREAT recruiter but when it comes to coaching I would take Frank Martin any day.

Majestic42 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't know what's up your butt, dude, but take a chill pill. KU is a fine school, as is KState. I have nothing against either. Go ahead, look at my previous comments. I have decried this sort of rabid rivalry between the two schools for a long time. I don't really know what you're looking for my posting inflammatory things on an obivously-KU sided board, but chill out and knock it off.

riverdrifter 4 years, 2 months ago

He's just a dumb kid. Give him a break!

"Look Self is a GREAT recruiter but when it comes to coaching I would take Frank Martin any day."

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

how many championships does frank martin have?

i'd say: you can keep him, and the cow pattie stuck on your forehead too.

riverdrifter 4 years, 2 months ago

I think he's a liar, too. UK? -And he says he's from Lawrence? Doesn't pass the sniff test.

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

See my above post. "You all are just apparently to stupid to know which word comes first in your name. The University of Kansas would be UK not KU but it's ok common sense isn't for everyone." also notice my user name. I went to Free State. I wouldn't expect you to catch on to that though. And dumb kid hahaha alrighttttt you keep saying that to make yourself feel better. Dang right I would take Frank Martin over Self. Call me crazy if you'd like but that's my opinion.

riverdrifter 4 years, 2 months ago

" Call me crazy if you'd like but that's my opinion."

OK, stupid.

Next.

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

Hahahah you're so funny when someone gets under your skin. That's all you got since I proved i was from Lawrence?

Majestic42 4 years, 2 months ago

He's just doing the UK thing to rile people up. See also: Jim Rome calling Jim Everett "Chris."

newmedia 4 years, 2 months ago

Good luck to coach Mangino. Hope things work out well for him and his family.

drnater 4 years, 2 months ago

out of all those names theres only 4 that I know. Kelly, samuels, judge, and pullen. so those four are suppose to take out a team that not only has experience, but has one of the best coaches out there. You can say what you want about Martin, and I agree he's a good coach, but unfortunately without any hardware, you can't make such a claim. Especially since he's been a coach he's only made it to the dance what, twice? As far as replacing Sherron, and Cole, you have to realize that nobody knew who Aldrich was till the UNC game in the 08 final four. We have another guy who is 7 ft, who according to all his teammates said that he is a better shot blocker. We will be doing more of a backcourt by committee though, with the Morris twins, Thomas Robinson who is a freak athlete that is big, quick, and can jump out the roof. As for the guards, don't underestimate the speed and versatility our starters could show. I imagine our starting 3 will be Selby, Taylor, and Little/Releford. All of which will be scoring threats from anywhere on the court. Add in vets like Morningstar, Reed, and sophmore Elijah Johnson (whom which only guarded Sherron everyday in practice) who was a 5-star recruit who's been lost in the depth we have. That's a sick lineup, mark my words Self will have them ready for Big 12 play like usual, I mean seriously has he lost the Big 12 since becoming KUs head coach? When it comes to sports, especially with coaching stats mean everything, and Selfs stats speak for themselves. I don't know how you can honestly say Martin the better coach...

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

Yeah Bill has that hardware which no one can deny. He has it because he has the ability to recruit huge recruits due the history of the UK program. He also has a few, more than embarrassing, exits from the tournament. Bucknell, Bradley, UNI..... With recruits like he has he shouldn't lose in the big dance to those teams. Martin took a bunch of guys that many people thought wouldn't amount to anything and took them to the Elite Eight. I honestly do think that Martin is a better coach. And i honestly think that Self is a better recruiter. Martin has made the dance two out of his three years so i don't really understand where you were going with that? I saw Withey (spelling is probably wrong) play in a couple games and I definitely was not impressed. I'll put him up against our 7 footer and they can both struggle together. Taylor is not a leader at all. He makes many stupid mistakes but he has his good moments too. Morningstar is a good defender and in my opinion thats where it ends for him. Reed just sits in the corner and waits for the 3. The only reason I know most of those names is because I lived in Lawrence and have relatives and friends that are UK fans. The only reason you don't know anything about the names I stated is because you don't pay attention to KSU. All I'm saying is watch out this year. K-State is coming for you and I know you all will welcome the challenge.

BruceWayne 4 years, 2 months ago

someone sure his strong opinions about the K U players...comparing players shows how bad KSU fans want their team to be like the Jayhawks.

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

If I wanted to be like Kansas I would've gone to Kansas! I don't want to be anything like UK and I was talking about UK players because the previous poster brought up UK players and yeah I know about them because I grew up in Lawrence! You UK fans have such a sense of self entitlement. Like I should bow down to you just cause you're a squawk fan! Ummmmmm no thanks!!!!

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

prolly couldn't pass the admissions quiz, but KSU will accept anybody!

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

Hahahaha i got a 35 on the math portion of the ACT (Meaning I missed one question) with an overall score of 30, I was part of NHS, and graduated with a GPA of about 3.6 while taking multiple AP classes and earning college credit. The last think you need to worry about is my intelligence. ;) Where do you think the majority of the less intelligent kids from my high school went? My bet's on KU hahah your weak attempt at an insult is laughable. Try a little harder next time please!

drnater 4 years, 2 months ago

It will definitely be a good series again this year.

Doug Fisher 4 years, 2 months ago

A cocky KSU fan in the house lol. All I say is watch out for KU. This season we aren't supposed to be as good which makes an even better case that we will exceed last years expectations. KU always does better when there's no pressure on their backs. Expect them to go further than most pundits think.

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

I mean you couldn't really end worse then last year could you?! Losing to UNI when you're the top seed! Pretty easy standards to beat! Now exceeding last years expectations? Last years expectations for you all was a national championship sooooo I'm not sure how you plan to exceed that unless you're gonna win 2 championships in 1 year???

Brandon Devlin 4 years, 2 months ago

And yet, for all the hype, Frank and they boys couldn't beat the Hawks once in three tries last year.

Beware the HAWKtagon of Doom

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

You're both absolutely correct! We lost all three times last year! That was also supposed to be your championship team. A team i picked in my bracket and a team that most likely if they wouldn't have choked so hard would've won the national championship. But I'm talking about this year squawkers! UK is in for a surprise if you think this is a K-State team that you can walk all over!

Brandon Devlin 4 years, 2 months ago

Yes, UK is in for a surprise. . .I expect Manchester United to return to form and take over the lead of the Premiership table. Oh, wait. . .you were talking about KANSAS.

No surprise.

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't really know how many times I have to explain this to you guys?? Go back and read my posts. It's not very complicated!! Haha

Brandon Devlin 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree. . .it's really not that complicated, junior. . .it has nothing to do with schools, it has to do with athletics. . .

University of Kansas = KU University of Nebraska = NU University of Oklahoma = OU University of Colorado = CU University of Missouri = MU University of Kansas = KU

I don't know, maybe it's a Big Eight/Twelve/whatever thing. I do know it's a tradition your boys at Silo Tech didn't pick up. . .kind of like basketball.

Majestic42 4 years, 2 months ago

Careful, you just confronted a troll with logic! He'll now not say anything worth the pixels it's rendered on.

Freestater456 4 years, 2 months ago

Well besides the fact that you listed KU twice (Smooth) Many of the Nebraska fans I know refer to Nebraska as UNL University of Nebraska at Lincoln but typically they just stick to saying "Nebraska" This includes my girlfriend and her family. Both of her parents attended Nebraska. OU, CU, and MU you got me on those. But i don't consider them to be anymore intelligent than KU so that doesn't say much.

University of Texas = UT University of Kentucky = UK University of Southern California = USC University of Alabama = UA University of Michigan = UM

You can say it's a big eight/twelve/whatever thing but seeing as its UK, Oklahoma, Mizzou, (Surprised that you wanted to be in the same group as them this time), and Colorado doesn't impress me much. As to it being a tradition we didn't pick up on....? Not quite sure what you're getting at. If you're referring to our name Kansas State University would be KSU. If you mean not picking up on the KU, CU, OU thing thennnnn I'm not quite sure what that has to do with tradition? And the basketball thing! Ooooooooo that was clever ;) I'm impressed!!! You go girl!

Brandon Devlin 4 years, 2 months ago

Yep, you got me there, big guy. In my attempt to cut and paste, I accidentally didn't "cut." Wow. . .I feel really low.

And yes, fans of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln do refer to themselves as UNL sometimes. . .but my point was, look at how they are listed on ESPN's bottom line. . .not UNL, not UN, but NU. Just like every other school I listed, including KU twice. I must have just been delirious in anticipating your witty comeback to my basketball comment. Bazinga!

Majestic42 4 years, 2 months ago

You get extra internets for being awesome to a troll, and for a awesome usage of Baziinga. We will now look at the troll with a look of haughty derision. :\

Brandon Devlin 4 years, 2 months ago

Silly me. . .I thought we'd been confronting him with logic throughout the thread. Haha