Archive for Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Federal jury finds co-owner of Yellow House guilty of 16 charges in stolen-property case

A federal jury Wednesday found Yellow House Store co-owner Carrie Neighbors guilty on 16 charges. Neighbors and her husband, Guy Neighbors, both face charges in the case.

September 22, 2010, 5:24 p.m. Updated September 22, 2010, 5:58 p.m.

A federal jury in Kansas City, Kan., on Wednesday convicted a Lawrence woman of taking part in a scheme to purchase stolen goods and later sell them on eBay out of the Yellow House Store, 1904 Mass.

Yellow House co-owner found guilty by jury

A federal jury found the co-owner of Yellow House guilty of 16 charges in a stolen-property case. The owner would buy items from her store and then resell the items online. Enlarge video

Jurors found store co-owner Carrie Neighbors, 49, guilty on all 16 counts she faced, including conspiracy, money laundering and wire fraud.

The government had accused her of knowing or being deliberately ignorant that goods, such as tools and electronics, sold from her store were stolen. During the six-day trial, federal prosecutors presented witnesses who said they sold merchandise to Neighbors at the Yellow House that they’d stolen from other stores in the area.

Prosecutors found from January 2004 to July 2006, Neighbors would pay about 50 percent retail value at her store for many items that were new and still in the box. She would resell the items on eBay for a profit. According to U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom’s office, she used some of the proceeds from the sale of stolen items to purchase others that were stolen and to make payments on her west Lawrence home.

The case also included conversations recorded by undercover Lawrence police officers.

According to Grissom’s office, Neighbors will be sentenced on Jan. 3. She faces these penalties:

Conspiracy: A maximum sentence of five years and a fine up to $250,000.

Wire fraud: A maximum sentence of 20 years and a fine up to $250,000.

Mail fraud: A maximum sentence of 20 years and a fine up to $500,000.

Both Neighbors and her husband, Guy Neighbors, face charges in the case. But Guy Neighbors’ trial is on hold because he has not been declared mentally competent to stand trial.

For nearly five years, the couple have accused police and prosecutors of corruption and repeatedly said they did not knowingly purchase stolen goods.

The couple also face charges in two other federal cases. In those, prosecutors accuse the couple of manufacturing marijuana and obstructing a theft investigation.

Comments

fu7il3 6 years, 12 months ago

Can't say I am surprised. I would also be shocked if there weren't some defamation lawsuits coming out of this at some point from the prosecutors and law enforcement that they accused of corruption for all of these years.

gl0ckUser 6 years, 12 months ago

I think the fact its been 6 years it's past the statue of limitations. I do believe Carrie has a right to an appeal at this point.

ebyrdstarr 6 years, 12 months ago

A prosecution has to begin within the statute of limitations, not end within it. The fact that 6 years have elapsed between the time prosecution commenced and the time a jury actually reached a verdict does not raise a statute of limitations issue.

jafs 6 years, 12 months ago

What about the right to a speedy trial?

Stuart Evans 6 years, 12 months ago

she has a right to appeal anyway and it has nothing to do with the statute of limitations, which do not matter at this point at all.

hail2oldku 6 years, 12 months ago

Right to appeal, yes of course.

Grounds being related to lack of a speedy trial, not likely. She and Guy pulled enough shenanigans to delay the trial themselves that they effectively surrendered that right on their own.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 12 months ago

"I would also be shocked if there weren't some defamation lawsuits coming out of this at some point from the prosecutors and law enforcement"

Not likely. Prosecutors and law enforcement are used to being accused of all kinds of things by those they are prosecuting. I would guess that they'll be happy with conviction on all charges rather than suing someone sitting in prison who likely has no way to pay off on any judgments that may come along.

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years, 12 months ago

Having read some of the stuff that has been posted over the years, I think some people would have legit cases - particularly some of the lower level government/police employees that have been the target of some of their clams. However, I completely agree with you that it would be a fruitless effort that is ultimately cost prohibitive. Why sue someone when there is nothing left to be gained?

See, we do agree sometimes.

JayCat_67 6 years, 12 months ago

Wow, being targeted with clams sounds kind of painful, especially if they're still in their shells, or, even worse a can, in the form of chowder. Of course, if your talking about "clams" as money... Sure throw all the clams you want at me. :-D

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years, 12 months ago

Ok, so I make typos sometimes - but yeah, being pelted by shellfish is never a good idea. I've got one of those iPads and I'm fairly convinced the speed with which one can get online is outweighed by the annoyance at typing on a touch screen. I do, however, enjoy pretending to be an ensign on Star Trek.

JayCat_67 6 years, 12 months ago

I'm not uptight about typos, but that one was just too funny to pass up.

Maddy Griffin 6 years, 12 months ago

Or it could be a case of "lock 'em up to shut 'em up".

Kash_Encarri 6 years, 12 months ago

Olin is better than we knew. The commission should have done everything in their power to keep that guy around if he has this much power. Of course he didn't have enough power to save Lew's oversized rear-end so he must be losing his touch.

kernal 6 years, 8 months ago

The other possibility is he is nearing retirement age; the new job he took at KU is likely less stressful and time consuming. He probably welcomes reduced hours to 40 per week.

As for the new job having nada to do with his expertise, you're off base. Sounds like you have something personal towards him.

gl0ckUser 6 years, 12 months ago

OMG, this is horrible this means now that if anyone in the State of kansas buys any thing from anybody and they don't know its stolen the person who bought the item can be charged. With being ignorant that what ever they bought was stolen.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 12 months ago

Do y0u understand what "DELIBERATELY ign0rant" means? It means "Hey, dude, I d0n't even want t0 kn0w if the stuff y0u are selling me is st0len." That's how 0ne d0es business when they are being purp0sefully c0mplicit in fencing st0len g00ds.

Like, if my new "girlfriend" l00ks about 12 years 0ld and I simply decide t0 n0t ask her what her age is: I'll still get charged with statut0ry rape because I was DELIBERATLY ign0rant.

And... changing all the "o"s to "0"s took a long time, just so you know.

Bob Forer 6 years, 12 months ago

"Deliberately ignorant" is a contradiction in terms, and in this case, two negatives equal a positive. To intention be ignorant about about something means you actually know what's going on.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 12 months ago

Depends on your definition.

By some definitions, "ignorant' means that knowledge was readily available, but was either not sought and/or not accepted.

"Innocence" is probably a better term for someone who had no access to pertinent information, but the jury apparently thinks that didn't apply in this situation.

jafs 6 years, 12 months ago

Possibly.

I think the question is what sort of legal duty a business owner has to ensure that they aren't buying stolen goods.

If they have one, and don't exercise it, then they may be guilty of being deliberately ignorant.

JayCat_67 6 years, 12 months ago

And I thought your "o" key was just broken...

hail2oldku 6 years, 12 months ago

You could have just typed your reply in a word processing program. Completed a search and replace on the o 0 and then do a merrill (cut & paste) to the board.

fester0420 6 years, 11 months ago

i guess they should arrest those at the pawn shop too they don't ask where the things you bring in are stolen or not

Maracas 6 years, 12 months ago

I don't think "deliberately ignorant" means what you think it means.

kernal 6 years, 8 months ago

I was always taught ignorance is no excuse when it comes to breaking the law. Don't think it's changed.

Neomarxist123 6 years, 12 months ago

I guess you can add the jury to those participating in the conspiracy.

So, just to keep track:

1) Most of the Lawrence Police Department lied. 2) The federal prosecutors lied. 3) The judge lied. 4) The witnesses lied. 5) The jury was duped by all these liars.

OR;

1) Carrie bought and sold stolen goods.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 12 months ago

"5) The jury was duped by all these liars."

On SIXTEEN federal counts, no less. It's not like they brought 43 charges and ended up getting convictions on 2 misdemeaners. This jury was CONVINCED of something.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 12 months ago

I'm sure this is a just verdict, at the same time, maybe it would be better if we didn't taunt them. Between the convictions and the mental illness, it seems that they will be punished enough.

jafs 6 years, 12 months ago

I think 45 years for a non-violent offense is absurd!

We let rapists and murderers back out in far less time.

Mike Wagner 6 years, 12 months ago

I think they need to sting every pawn shop in town! They all buy stuff that is pretty obviously stolen!! I mean come on, how many construction tools get ripped off in this town every single night. Do they even hold the stuff for 30 days to see if it pops up on a hot sheet?

rollcar 6 years, 12 months ago

You can say that again! I myself fell victim to the theft of a number of items from my home a couple of years ago, and had to be personally led around by a LPD officer to each of the pawn shops in town to recover my items one by one. I won't even list which shops, because I have no interest in calling anyone out, but suffice it to say that it was among the more humiliating experiences of my life. These places had purchased my belongings (electronics, tools, jewelry) from the thief no questions asked, and then treated me like the criminal when I showed up with an officer to identify and claim them. I hate to paint all pawn shops with the same brush, but unfortunately that was my experience with them. I vowed then to never enter one of those places again.

Oh, and to answer your question, no they do not hold it for 30 days unless the thief pawned the stolen items rather than sold them (and why would they?). I was able to recover the vast majority of my items (which incidentally I had to purchase from the shops and later file a restitution claim against the thief to recover the money), but even though only a few days had passed, some of the items had already been "sold" by the pawn shop. The officer warned me that once word got out that the stuff was stolen, the shops have a tendency to make things disappear. So they run the pawn database that all PDs have access to, locate your items, and make a mad dash around town trying to recover it as quickly as possible. In my experience the LPD officer was very helpful and friendly, and the pawn operators were anything but.

Practicality 6 years, 12 months ago

Not true smitty. Pawn Shops are responsible for the stuff in their store. There are even state statutes against it. I also doubt the LPD is "required by law" to regularly present a list of stolen goods to all the pawn shops. They might do it periodically to help the victims of these crimes locate their belongings.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

Required I don't know, but I do know that the police issue "hot sheet" because when my house was broken into they told me so. They also told me to check pawn shops and to notify them if I found any of my stuff. I did locate my leather jacket at yellow house and was required to pay for it in order to retrieve it. I found 1 of my rings at another shop and was required to provide a copy of the police report before the pawn shop would sell my item back for the price they paid. The thief had a few cases going at the time and made a plea on them all. I was never reimbursed by the courts for the cost and I never appeared as a witness due to the plea. Also there were Items stolen that were never located.

Bucker00 6 years, 12 months ago

I think using the internet to sell the items, and then the US Mail to deliver the items opened up a couple of cans of worms that escalated their predicament considering it brought in the feds.

Had they kept it local, or at the very least not used federal services, they would be looking at less time, and would have battled a different breed of attorney.

Also, I'm pretty sure this case was dragged out for so long because continuances were filed by the defense (standard practice from what I've seen), and can hardly be held against prosecution. Had they been denied a continuance, they would have screamed bloody murder about that.

As an aside, I know their child made a spectacle of himself at times on this board. But rejoicing in his pain seems a little mean spirited. I'm not defending the Nash's, just pointing out that he's suffering enough without having his nose rubbed in it. This is his mother, and I'm sure he loves her very much. That being said, it makes her no less guilty.

Bucker00 6 years, 12 months ago

I said Nash? Caffiene deficiency. Neighbor's is the proper name. Sheesh.

fester0420 6 years, 11 months ago

there are only too so they cant take you around to too many

rollcar 6 years, 11 months ago

That is correct, I was taken to two shops here in Lawrence that had purchased my items, and then three more in the Kansas City area. Apparently it is a common practice among thieves to spread the wealth around, thinking that it will be harder to follow the trail. It does not due to the database, but for me personally it illustrates how widespread the trafficking of stolen goods is in the entire pawn industry, that not one of the shops bothers to question an individual like that. It appears that they just turn a blind eye to theft, and hide behind the fact that the person selling the merchandise didn't tell them it was stolen so it's not their problem.

It's not that I think only the shops in Lawrence are dirty, I think it's a dirty industry that thrives on stolen goods and acts of desperation.

fu7il3 6 years, 12 months ago

You forgot the pending marijuana and obstruction charges. That could add some time.

BlackVelvet 6 years, 12 months ago

not likely. The folks who will testify in those incidents are corrupt and liars, I'm sure of it.

BruceWayne 6 years, 12 months ago

so I am wondering...how would this all have turned out had Carrie and Guy kept a low profile, minded the business, and actually worked on proving innocence? I am not saying just throw in the towel, just approach it a little different. I never had a dog in this fight and in the beginning kinda' felt for Guy and Carrie. As time passed and they wouldn't shut up they lost my support. When they played the race card I was done. I also question having ANY amount of weed in your home when you know you are being watched. I am glad this is over and hope as a community we can now move on.

been_there 6 years, 12 months ago

Well, I'll hold off the taunting as long as smitty/Alex/glock behave themselves. If they can be gracious, so can I.

BruceWayne 6 years, 12 months ago

I think we all should behave as long as they do. Alexs' mom is facing some serious time and he should focus on time spent with family. Does anyone know if Carrie was taken into custody?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 12 months ago

No, be gracious because that's the kind of person you are, not because of someone else's choices.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 12 months ago

Just tagging this so I remember to come back and read all the posts.... I can't wait to see the drama unfold!!

skinny 6 years, 12 months ago

There goes Smitty's conspiracy, right out the window along with all her other conspiracy theories!

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years, 12 months ago

I am sure the conspiracy theories will continue from certain corners. I am not going to celebrate the fact that she is going to prison, but, having watched this local drama for years, I am not at all surprised.

Then again, I have been declared as part of the conspiracy.

Beth Ennis 6 years, 12 months ago

Nope not Leavenworth either....no women there. She'll be going to some other federal prison.

BlackVelvet 6 years, 12 months ago

everyone's a liar....except, of course, Carrie, Guy, Alex, Smitty, the rest of carrie's family......everyone else is a damn liar...and corrupt....THAT is "the rest of the story"

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

No the rest of the story is that greed and fear is sad. There was a time when Guy and Carrie ran a honest mom and pop business. Greed changed that; it changed them. Today it was determind that the excuses woven from fear cannot change the reality of the situation. I am sorry for pain this has caused the family and the losses they now will endure as a result of bad choices.

Kat Christian 6 years, 12 months ago

I really find it very difficult to believe that Carrie didn't know these things were stolen. My mower was stolen right off my carport and sold to her by a guy where had sold her several mowers. Good thing I took that person's advice on Larryville and go look for it there and sure enough sitting there with a for sale tag on it. Got it back...still want my camp stool and bike pump that person stole from me too. I hate a thief. Anyway, you go down that road you have to pay the piper one day. Kharma, Kharma

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years, 12 months ago

The sojourn of the guilty, The jurors obviously bought; Off to a cell that's filthy, I could use some weed a lot.....FOR MY CATARACTS!

Woe is the Journal-World online, What will my faithful readers do; My pen they will bind, We sure will miss poems and you.....because it was always good for a laugh.........But seriously, watch out in the showers.

Reuben Turner 6 years, 12 months ago

i can't believe that we have people in lawrence that commit these kind of crimes; blows my mind..

Louis White 6 years, 12 months ago

Opine if you want, but if you weren't there and didn't have first hand knowledge of the events and people, you could never say for certainty that you know for a fact that the defendants were either guilty or innocent. Judge not lest ye be judged.

gccs14r 6 years, 12 months ago

The Feds bothered to get involved, which speaks volumes. We're apparently not talking about an errant stolen bicycle here. The case went to trial in Federal court and Ms. Neighbors was found guilty on multiple counts. While there can rarely be 100% certainty about anything, on the continuum of guilt in this case, the meter is a heck of a lot closer to 100% than it is to zero.

ssakcaj 6 years, 12 months ago

One intersting thing is that now everyone can see what all of the evidence was that led to the convictions.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 12 months ago

Okay, and great rejoicing was seen upon the land as the unending story came nearly to an end!

yes, BW is right, how stupid is it to grow pot when you're under investigation???

hope the Neighbors's and their princeling learn something from this ... but I have my doubts. after all, I'm part of the coproach conspiracy too, lol.

hey, can we bill the YH crowd for the mileage on our eyeballs and our keyboards? and for clogging up the ljworld online?
and for time after time after God aweful time highjacking threads?

so, will Carrie have internet access in the Big Dollhouse?

bigdave 6 years, 12 months ago

so, will Carrie have internet access in the Big Dollhouse?

God lets hope not!!!!!!!!

robinhoodlum 6 years, 12 months ago

Prison Wardens around the country are drawing straws to see who gets stuck in the next conspiracy. "Dateline: circa 2011" Federal Bureau of Prisons busts the largest most sophisticated ring trafficking prison contraband. Ring leader believes the warden is just trying to deprive people in prison from having basic necessities with the intention of bettering themselves and to keep them silenced by ruining any chance of getting out early for good behavior. Leader also is complaining that the warden really wants to reduce their cell size to expand their own office space to add a jacuzzi and indoor putting range funded by ripping off the profits from the contraband trafficking.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 12 months ago

In our article, it says sentencing is Jan. 3.

BruceWayne 6 years, 12 months ago

was Carrie taken into custody? or will she remain out on bond until sentencing?

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

I nthink if she was taken into custody they would have stated such in the article.

fu7il3 6 years, 12 months ago

I would guess that since a jury found that Carrie was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, the city will probably figure that the complaints are unfounded and leave it at that.

BruceWayne 6 years, 12 months ago

Guilty on ALL 16 charges...how often does that happen?

Bucker00 6 years, 12 months ago

While that may be considered a plan, a conspiracy is defined as

•a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act •a plot to carry out some harmful or illegal act (especially a political plot) •a group of conspirators banded together to achieve some harmful or illegal purpose

Unless you're implying that the Feds, local, and state authorities were in collusion to unlwafully convict the Neighbors. But I do get your point.

Sigmund 6 years, 12 months ago

I am no fan of YH but for what it is worth I think the Carrie has been punished enough for what in essence is really nothing more than 16 counts of selling stolen goods. Sure, almost all of this additional pain was self inflicted but the attorney who represented them at the beginning with the absurd allegations and misleading court filings set the tone for what followed and probably should be at least investigated by the State Bar Association for her "representation." If this had been handled responsibly from the beginning it probably would have been over a long time ago. I hope the judge sentences Carrie to time served and 5 years probation.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

Yes but they hired that initial attorney and they had a choice to listen to her or not.

maxcrabb 6 years, 12 months ago

Did they happen to find a first generation 20 inch IMac...?

Stolen on Christmas eve a couple years back?

hail2oldku 6 years, 12 months ago

I don't care who you are, that there is funny.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

Wrong again smitty I am aware of another case she is currently working on. Itis over let it go.

Practicality 6 years, 12 months ago

"Why is Parker absent now?"

Because the case is over and she is on to a new one. This one took up enough of people's time.

"Has she been retired against her will due to the way this case was handled? I haven't been able to verify it but that's what the rumor is."

It would be easy to verify because you are the one starting that rumor.

smitty,

It is time to give up the charade. She has been found guilty. Her and Guy chose to do the things that they did. Likely, they made the entire situation worse for themselves by creating this circus instead of taking some responsibility and accountability for their actions. Here would be a good start. They need to come out and say:

" I am sorry I conspired to profit from others misery. I regret all the things that I did that resulted in hardship and suffering to others. I further realize that my actions encouraged others to steal from innocent victims by offering a fence for those stolen goods. I regret that decision and now will take responsibility for the sentence that will be imposed upon me. I hope the victims of these crimes will forgive me for my complicity in their suffering"

SofaKing 6 years, 12 months ago

When is the estate sale? I should find the contents of my garage, including at least 4 lawn mowers.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

This case was not about what was stolen from a garage or home, it was about theft of new merchandise stolen from retailers and subsequently sold online.

robinhoodlum 6 years, 12 months ago

Agreed, however, there are things a used store owner can do to cover their butt. With your understanding of law and ethics I hope you do not decide to carry on the family tradition of something such as Yellow House 2. If you do I predict in about 5 years you will be getting free room and board also at the tax payers expense. Maybe you should brush up on the penalties and definition of conspiracy, wire fraud, mail fraud, fencing stolen goods, and money laundering. Oh, and if you get into trouble you should take the advice of your council and anyone else who tells you to STFU about your case.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

They did. Carrie contracted with theives to get merchandise she could sell and you know it. When the same people come in over and over selling you multiples of like items, well you should have a clue that they did not gain it by honest means.

lily 6 years, 12 months ago

Going after those stealing is what got the ball rolling in the first place I think. Sounds like that opened up the big picture.

gl0ckUser 6 years, 12 months ago

There was nothing said about contracts when the witnesses were called to the stand , they stated they told carrie it was not stolen and they gave a story. They would also take things to pawn shops. Just look at robert samples he took almost everything he stole to different pawn shops in town. ($40,000 worth of stuff ) and took 1 laptop to carrie ($350) now why did the pawn shops not get charged with ignoratly buying stolen goods?

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

OMG English do you speak it? I didn't say she had contracts with people I said she contracted with people. Now run get your dictionary so you can learn the difference between the noun and the verb.

puddleglum 6 years, 12 months ago

wrong smitty.

if they had had a pawn license AND they continued to lie to the police about what they had purchased and from who, they would have lost their license and gone to jail... this way, they just go to jail.

NOW, please ....the black helicopters are out of gas..just let them land.

Kris_H 6 years, 12 months ago

Something curious struck me in the discussions, not to do directly with Yellow House, but--why do victims of theft who find their stolen goods in pawn shops, accompanied by a police officer to whom they made a theft report, have to pay the pawn shop to retrieve them?

That's not right and I for one would like to get that changed. Maybe if pawn shops had to eat those losses they'd learn to be a lot more careful.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

The idea is that once the thief is prosecuted they will have to repay the financial losses, but in my case the guy was a career criminal so there were a few cases pending. In the end he plead to some in order for others to be dropped. Even if all my property was combined the losses in the other cases were larger so the D.A. went with those cases. Justice in America. I was grateful to have located one of the items as it was gift from someone who is no longer with us, the sentimental value was far greater than any cash amount.

puddleglum 6 years, 12 months ago

Kris H... repeat after me: yellow house is NOT a pawn shop...yellow house is NOT a pawn shop. they are a buy and sell store-like plato's closet and play it again sports...they are NOT a financial lending institution. therefore-they are treated much differently. Pawn shops are required to submit a list of all serial numbers of everything they loan money on. most thieves are hip to this, and therefore look for other stores to sell stolen goods to. doesn't mean that there aren't some idiots out there that do it anyway, though. but here is how material theft recovery works: first off, you are not required to pay anybody for your item if your item was stolen, and they are caught with it. that means that if sally steals marsha's bike and sells it to jill-and then marsha see's jill pedalling around on her bike, Jill can notify the police-as long as she made a police report- and the police should confiscate the bike from jill...the bike will go to the police evidence locker for the next 8 months, until there is a trial to determine who's bike this is.... If jill didn't know the bike was stolen (this is difficult to prove, unless you have a ridiculous amount of credible evidence like a recording of Jill saying "hey sally, go steal that bike and I will give you twenty bucks for it") but anyway, if Jill didn't know about the theft-she will be listed as a victim, Marsha will be listed as a victim and Sally will be listed as the suspect.... then you wait for the trial, in which Marsha needs to provide a serial number and reciept for the bike. Then, if everything works the way your justice system is supposed to work, the bike will be turned over to Marsha... There will be an order for 'restitutuion' from sally to jill for $20 (which Jill will never see-unless sally is a minor) many times, these instances involve items that cost less than $1000 new. In these cases, it is much quicker for the original victim (Marsha) to just give Jill her interest ($20) as long as Jill decides that it is not worth the hassle-and she just wants her money back... both parties are allowed to pursue charges against Sally, if they want to. but typically, Jill had no idea that Sally stole the bike, and most likely will avoid dealing with sally every again. very few business owners are stupid enough to engage in deals with known stolen property....but they are out there.

Kris_H 6 years, 12 months ago

Repeat after me--thou shalt not be condescending to people you don't even know.

My question was based on something a previous poster said. I don't need an exposition of what stealing is, what right and wrong is, or that YH is not a pawn shop.

I don't have any experience with either pawning or stealing things, after all.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

It is only if the police retrieve your property that they retain it. generally they don't go to get things of lesser value. Even if they do when the case is resolved the items go to auction unless the owner hounds the police department and even then they may never see their property again. Speaking of bikes i had a friend whose bike was stolen. The polce got it when they busted a person on another charge. They never told the girl's mom the bike was found. Months later her mom went to the police auction and there was her bike. but had already been processed so her mom bought it back for a price.

puddleglum 6 years, 12 months ago

Kris H...I wasn't being condescending at all-I would never be like that, I am too pretty for being petty-most people know that-I apologize if it came off that way....

I was just citing an example, because the majority of the public has very little experience with these issues-I am involved in law practice and it is an area that is often misunderstood.

Now if you will excuse me, I must spread cheer and hope to the beings near and far my sphere of brillance.

Alexander Neighbors 6 years, 12 months ago

Arizona farmer's case highlights record of federal lawyers' misconduct http://tinyurl.com/322fpmp

Alexander Neighbors 6 years, 12 months ago

De Jong, whose indictment and picture were broadcast on news programs, says the ruling provided little consolation after years of defamation, anxiety and expense.

"What if I didn't have any money to defend myself?" he asked. "This changed my feeling about humankind.

Their concern was not to do what was right. It was to win. Prosecutorial zeal overcame their integrity."

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

Yes and by then we will smell the stench all over town.

Bucker00 6 years, 12 months ago

Alex, there are people on this board actively trying to divert some of the anger being directed at you out of compassion. You are making it difficult to defend that position.

Appeals may work when taken through the proper process. Appealing on an internet comment section with one cherrypicked case does nothing to help you. Especially with the over the top rhetoric with which you choose to make your point.

BruceWayne 6 years, 12 months ago

the real question is...did Jessica Farrar ever earn her GED?

2002 6 years, 12 months ago

The defending of an obvious criminal with reasons such as the man was just after them or it was an intricate conspiracy is SO Lawrence. My goodness there are some real fools here.

Charlie Sabotage 6 years, 12 months ago

great. no i have no where to take my leather chaps when i need an extra buck. Why!?!?!?!?!?!?! Why wasn't she thinking of the little people and the small legit things they need to sell for extra cash when she decided to go against the law? Selfish, I call it.

yankeevet 6 years, 12 months ago

She should call Jimmy Carter; he would most likely grant her amnesty...............

iowastreetradar 6 years, 12 months ago

A former Lawrence police officer on Monday was sentenced to probation for two years, after pleading guilty to 14 counts of federal wire fraud, prosecutors said.

Robert Ryan Sayler, 32, was accused of selling stolen video games on eBay last year while he was a member of the Lawrence Police Department. He entered a guilty plea in the case in August.

I wonder if this lady will get probation just like this hometown officer who should be held to a higher standard.

Kash_Encarri 6 years, 12 months ago

At least one thing that helped this former officer in his sentencing is that he entered a guilty plea when he got caught. He didn't drag the case out, blog about the case after being told not to do so by the judge, or start crying about some huge conspiracy theory against him and his family.

It also helps that the dollar value for his crime was under $1,000 total.

gl0ckUser 6 years, 12 months ago

Remember robert knew the stuff was stolen he was the one stealing. In carries case people like robert were stealing it and then selling it to her under the pretense that it was not stolen so much so the people selling to carrie would state its not stolen and fill out paperwork and give a copy of their drivers lincense to prove it was not stolen.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

For new merchandise a reciept would prove it was not stolen. Carrie knew the multiuple like items were stolen. Nobody is so stupid that they would buy 5,10,20 new DVDplayers, telephones, stereos... from the same person without be suspect.

gl0ckUser 6 years, 12 months ago

Yep and alot of "NEW" stuff had a receipt with it people would sell it to carrie because some store will only give you store credit and not cash.

Face it if the lpd had a case it would have gone to trial 6 years ago and the prosecutor would not have been trying to get Carrie Committed 1 month before the trial claiming she is Crazy..... come one people

gl0ckUser 6 years, 12 months ago

6 Years ago Jesse.

"If there was a case it would've gone to trial (( 6 Years ago ))

gl0ckUser 6 years, 12 months ago

Yea I guess they had an killer case I guess that's why the lpd used 1 person from the funny farm how was seriously medicated. Oh and let's not forget the edited voice recordings and the bought testimony from convicted felons who were caught buying ak47s from under cover cops and should have done 5 years for that yet he was not even charged with buying an automatic weapon from the lpd .....

Things just don't add up in this case ya Hurd......

Bucker00 6 years, 12 months ago

You've never heard of the defense filing a continuance? They do this sometimes to draw the case out for the purpose of letting the public's anger subside. Not to mention to take advantage of their obviously short collective attention span.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

yes do face it the LPD had a case it was filed in the federal court and Yellow House was convicted. You can appeal but I have no doubt the conviction will stand. So yes it is high time you face it.

Richard Payton 6 years, 12 months ago

Does Martha Stewart offer any decor idea's for prison cells? Weed still available in prison ask any wardon.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 12 months ago

I agree I hope that if and when they feel like this trail and conviction is final that they will take they same passion, determination, and effort that they've put into proving Carrie Neighbors innocent and get involved with some kind of Save the World, or Feed the Children organization.

somedude20 6 years, 12 months ago

I bet they fenced my 91' Gibson SG (cherry wood) back in 07'. I miss that guitar

Kent Fisher 6 years, 12 months ago

I bet it had great sustain...and your amp probably goes to 11.

dickmerkin 6 years, 11 months ago

Dude, that is a huge guitar. 91 feet long...Heavy man,

Kontum1972 6 years, 12 months ago

so carrie spends 45 years in the can.....and 1 million in fines....how many license plates is that?

Richard Payton 6 years, 12 months ago

The answer I bet is known by Tom Haney attorney for Jason Jeffries. Another person that knows is Mark Bennett attorney for Brandon Simmons.

Morganna 6 years, 12 months ago

OMG - if she had raped someone she would be put on probation - or drink and drive and kill someone - 6 months - this is sad that you actually get more time for buying and selling stolen goods?????

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

That is only a guide to the maximum the case could be. I doubt she will get that much time.

jafs 6 years, 12 months ago

It's absurd.

Non-violent offenders shouldn't even spend time in jail, in my opinion. Let's free up space and resources for keeping the violent ones in there.

booyalab 6 years, 12 months ago

You value resources when they're being used on people who unduly exploit them. But not enough to want to stop those people from exploiting resources in the first place. How does that work?

jafs 6 years, 12 months ago

Can you say that another way?

I don't understand your point at all.

Sigmund 6 years, 12 months ago

I am not part of a YH contingent, but six years for selling stolen goods over the Interwebs when a LPD officer selling games over the Interwebs but also stole them gets probation? Nobody at YH was even accused of theft. Most of Carrie's legal problems since being charged have been self inflicted with the help of what is at best described as marginally competent legal counsel. Carrie should get time served and probation for any remaining sentence. If she violates probation then she has to serve the remaining sentence.

The system shouldn't impose greater punishment on defendants who do not plead guilty and who force the State to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. If you want to bring additional charges for her alleged "slander" or "libel" against various members of the Law Enforcement or Judicial communities, then file those charges and then prove all the elements beyond a reasonable doubt. Until then you can't punish her for any of that in the current sentence.

gl0ckUser 6 years, 12 months ago

You make a good point ! The Difference was The cop Was guilty he was the one Stealing from the stores.

If the cop knowing stole something and then tried to sell it to a 3rd party like a pawn shop or second hand shop and he told them it was his and not stolen.

Why are we then saying that the pawn shop or second hand shop Owner should be charged in the theft ? They had absolutely nothing to do with it.

See where I am going with this ? The cop was guilty he did the Stealing cut and Dry

Sigmund 6 years, 12 months ago

HedleyLamarrr (anonymous) replies… "Why don't you understand, the cop pleaded guilty and didn't try to take down the entire legal system in his own defense."

"Take down the whole legal system," isn't that a little over dramatic? Do you think Carrie could "take down the entire legal system?" Do you prefer a life sentence or simply hanging? She is guilty and has already served 6 years for selling stolen stuff on eBay.

Perhaps this instructional video will give you some perspective on the level of crime committed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtlK7...

Flap Doodle 6 years, 12 months ago

"A little over dramatic" could also describe the wild accusations flung willy nilly by the YH crew on the interwebs.

thusspokezarathustra 6 years, 12 months ago

Ever hear of plea bargain?

Sigmund 6 years, 12 months ago

thusspokezarathustra (anonymous) replies…"The system shouldn't impose greater punishment on defendants who do not plead guilty and who force the State to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt."

Ever hear of plea bargain?

Yes I have and Carrie probably should have taken the deal. But on sentencing one of the factors in determining the sentence cannot be, "the defendant exercised their constitutional right and made us prove our case beyond a reasonable doubt so we will impose the maximum." I haven't looked at the federal guidelines but I doubt a first time offender would get more than 6 months in jail and 7 years probation. LPD officer served no time at all.

Practicality 6 years, 12 months ago

"Carrie Marie Neighbors, 49, was found guilty Wednesday of 12 counts of wire fraud, three counts of money laundering and one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, mail fraud and money laundering."

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/22/2244024/lawrence-woman-convicted-in-ebay.html#ixzz10NfzSxGW

Robert Sayler (the LPD officer)

"32-year old Robert Ryan Sayler pleaded guilty Tuesday to 14 counts of wire fraud. Prosecutors say he bought video games, took them out of their packaging, then returned the empty boxes for full refunds."

There is a difference and Carrie hasn't been sentenced yet. Although cooperation is a determing factor in that.

gl0ckUser 6 years, 12 months ago

the prosecutor did a good job of framing her.

The sting recordings shown to the jury were Edited (as stated by a lpd cop on the stand) and conveniently enough the originals could not be found.....

The star Witnesses were all 4 or 5 time convicted felons who took plea deals to testify in return for a severely lightened sentence on unrelated cases. One guy was a felon who was caught buying an AK-47 from a LPD cop and was looking at 35 years but only got 3 because he agreed to testify against her.

cops backpedaled all over them selves in the trial.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 12 months ago

Bring out your dead (horses)! Bring out your dead (horses)!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 12 months ago

I've been on these message boards for many years and I cannot think of a time when I've seen so many people hold on such absurd fantasies so tenaciously for so $%&#!@ LONG!

oh

em

gee

Please. It's not funny any more. They really, really, really committed crimes, and you can watch every episode of "X Files" and not find the hidden clues as to how this travesty of justice happened.

They are criminals. It's over.

Clark Coan 6 years, 12 months ago

Now she can't plea-bargin and get a slap on the wrist. Could be in Club Fed for some time.

gl0ckUser 6 years, 12 months ago

IF your innocent why would you plea bargain ?

Please explain that to me. If your not guilty then your not guilty.

fu7il3 6 years, 12 months ago

If you are guilty, pretending your innocent can be detrimental. Accusing the court of corruption, insulting prosecutors and judges, and the like, can be even more detrimental. Sometimes it is better to admit what you did than deny, deny, deny.

gl0ckUser 6 years, 12 months ago

then why did the case get dismissed years Ago ?

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

So you wuld have something to complain about. The current satus is convicted.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

Sure she can appeal but I think the result will be the same. Just because the witnesses are in jail doesn't mean they are not telling the truth. They sold items to here over and over again. Just how many times would you buy a DVD player or lawnmower from a single individual before you started to wonder where they were coming from? Especailly new in the box. If it were 10 different people with 10 different items I would buy that she didn't know, but even an couple times from the same person? No way.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 12 months ago

Smitty spews: That , however, doesn't stop the cop roaches from their rendition.

---whew, I thought for a while that Smitty might've been thrown off her stride by the news of Carrie's being convicted on 16-counts... good to see the old gal is still in it for the looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong run.

BruceWayne 6 years, 12 months ago

The Emperor: Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you. You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant.

BlackVelvet 6 years, 12 months ago

BlackVelvet 6 years, 12 months ago

At least Smitty and posse aren't accusing the KU Police of corruption in the Child Pornography case that LJWorld reported on. Well, they haven't YET.

been_there 6 years, 12 months ago

BlackVelvet (anonymous) replies… and the only "proof" offered of this alleged corruption, is because Carrie/YH/Smitty say it's so. Please, solid proof and someone might believe it. Until then..................

And not that false information YH paid $30,000 for and later admitted in motion that their outrageous claims of corruption were based on said false information

kernal 6 years, 12 months ago

Are you really that naive to think someone with real legal knowledge is going to advise you on this thread? Time for you to face reality, Smitty.

webmocker 6 years, 12 months ago

"smitty (anonymous) replies…

What's up JW, that yo didn't print this local story on the LPD officer's federal illegal activity?"

They did. 3 articles. Not hard to find.

search "video Sayler"

somebodynew 6 years, 12 months ago

Agreed onceagain - There are many people on here who are just pretty much tired of Smitty's obsession with PD and Corruption. At this point it wouldn't matter if she were somehow correct (which she isn't), most people would not believe her. Does "crying wolf" sound familiar ????

Alexander Neighbors 6 years, 12 months ago

Then why doesn't the police department have a public review board ?

If you don't think corruption is alive in the LPD, then why does the lpd still not have a citizens review board ?

IndusRiver 6 years, 12 months ago

I love it every time someone suggests that if you don't like it here, leave. Are these people aware that the United States government/military already occupies everybody else's country and has for years? So leave and you would still be under the American flag.

It's one thing to be led around by your master who does all your thinking for you (Navyguy). It's quite another to have your own mind and think for yourself.

somebodynew 6 years, 12 months ago

IF a public review board is so good, then WHY don't ALL police departments have them?? (Except for the obviously corrupt ones, of course.)

If you can't post any evidence (except that dreamed up by the real corrupt private investigator) you might want to give it up. You do remember that we just went through a 2 week trial, and it seems to me a defense attorney might have mentioned something about that if there were ANY proof. Juries would love that kind of mystery and intrigue.

IndusRiver 6 years, 12 months ago

Was Guy Neighbors mentally ill before this case began or did he just get that way after the case opened?

BruceWayne 6 years, 12 months ago

no, but it is common knowledge he had some addictions. detox could have led to the mental breakdown. just a guess, I am not a doctor...but I play one on TV.

LadyJ 6 years, 12 months ago

And the marihuana they were growing in the basement was for what? If not for themselves than what, to sell? Yes, they stopped once arrested, before that who knows.

IndusRiver 6 years, 12 months ago

Well allright then. Changing my Bat Channel. Adios.

LadyJ 6 years, 12 months ago

LOL, found on the WIBW website "Neighbors was part of a conspiracy where she purchase stolen items for about 50 percent of retail and sold them on eBay." So smitty and YH was right all along, there was a conspiracy.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

Are you scraping the bottom of the barrel or what smitty? Anger is something a person does to themselves. I suggest you google NVP or any other self help guru. Anger Management is on you not others.

somebodynew 6 years, 12 months ago

Definition of insanity = doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

Any conversation/argument with Smitty = ??? (I think you can fill it in.)

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

Here is a great book and you can have it sent right to the institution that Guy is spending his time in. http://www.amazon.com/Anger-Workbook-13-Step-Interactive-Minirth-Meier/dp/0840745745

been_there 6 years, 12 months ago

It would be interesting to find out how many people have been branded as cops by YH. Personally, I would like to know when I can start using those city benefits such as the no-pay health insurance since I have been told I'm a cop.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 12 months ago

I have been accused of being a cop. Yeah that there is some funny stuff.

been_there 6 years, 11 months ago

Add onceagain to the list of "accused cop poster"

somebodynew 6 years, 11 months ago

OK, I'll bite - Two questions Smitty -

Your one lengthy post talks about how "expert witness" will lie or exagerate on the stand to help their side. That doesn't ONLY apply to the prosecution witnesses; it also includes many defense "experts".

And where in all of that posted grand knowledge from the experts you cite does it say anywhere about a citizen review board (your other pet project)??

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

smitty, you passed an nauseaum a long time ago. Have fun storming the castle.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

okay Smitty, so I am weak, eh? lol.
you an expert in psychological assessment now? okay then.

... this lying to the courts is a good thing. Dr. Torrey also quotes Psychiatrist Paul Applebaum as saying when "confronted with psychotic persons who might well benefit from treatment, and who would certainly suffer without it, mental health professionals and judges alike were reluctant to comply with the law," noting that in "'the dominance of the commonsense model,' the laws are sometimes simply disregarded."

---hey folks, it seems that citing this quote Smitty is admitting that Guy Neighbors is psychotic.
thanks Smitty.

guy neighbors is/became mentally ill? 1. he married Mrs. YH.
2. he raised pot while under LEO investigation. 3. sometimes they really are out to get you, but otherwise you are just paranoid.

so am I an LE too Smitty girl?

hint to Bruce Wayne: Smitty has made references to being female in very old postings. and perhaps of an alternative sexual lifestyle?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

Smitty, you are taking some of that material on expert psych witnesses out of context.
often those psychiatrists/psychologists do exaggerate to protect the public, in order to fit requirements for commitment orders by courts, so that the involved mentally ill persons will not endanger themselves or others.

by citing that, are you claiming that the experts in the Neighbors' evals are exaggerating in order to protect the public from the neighbors's?
or to protect the neighbors's from themselves?

now, lol aside, you are using material that's not apropos.

somebodynew 6 years, 11 months ago

Gnome - when has being apropos ever stopped Smitty ??????? Or was that one of those rhetorical statements that I can't get this early????

Practicality 6 years, 11 months ago

Smitty,

IT IS OVER. MOVE ON with your life now. Even if there was corruption in the LPD (Giant leap of logic) that does not make the Neighbors' innocent of the charges. They did the crime now it is time to pay for that crime. Again, pointing your fingers at the LPD does not make them innocent. It is hard to believe that police corruption, in a uber-liberal town like Lawrence, would ever exist on the scale that you claim.

Practicality 6 years, 11 months ago

Which still would not make your friends innocent of criminal activity.

kernal 6 years, 11 months ago

Trying to have an intelligent discourse with someone who has paranoia personality disorder is fruitless. Give it up folks.

Practicality 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, I do think there was a conspiracy in the LPD. A conspiracy to prevent people from profitting from intentionally selling stolen merchandise.

Kontum1972 6 years, 11 months ago

would this happen at the Pawn Stars shop in Vegas...hey Rick have Chumley give us a call

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years, 11 months ago

You mean guilty as convicted in Carrie's case.

Kontum1972 6 years, 11 months ago

would the 3:10 to Yuma...be suitable..?

BlackVelvet 6 years, 11 months ago

I, for one, would like to personally thank Smitty. Because with all the strife and bad things going on in the world, where would we be were it not for the comic relief we get whenever Smitty posts! Be it about the YH case, or Ron Olin and the LPD, Smitty can be counted on to put a grin on one's face. A chuckle; a guffaw; Why, I even snorted coffee one time while reading a Smitty-ism! So keep up the good work and vigilance Smitty! Your efforts are appreciated (far fetched and ludicrous, but appreciated)

BruceWayne 6 years, 11 months ago

what am I missing here? a federal jury of 12 found her guilty of all 16 charges. how would a CRB change that?

somebodynew 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, Bruce it wouldn't. But that won't stop Smitty from keeping on proclaiming the need for the CRB (with the subpeona and enforcement power), just like she has since about May of 1991.

Of course I am sure she would say that this malfeasance of justice would never had been allowed to get to trial with a CRB who would listen and obviously agree with all the far-fatched delusions of the "Grand Conspiracy".

LadyJ 6 years, 11 months ago

smitty? ................smitty?????

Gayla Bieker 6 years, 8 months ago

Flap Doodle 6 years, 8 months ago

gl0ckUser 6 years, 8 months ago

ITs not Over Guy is Still waiting for a trial he has been in prison for almost 2 years with out a trial. This is Far From over.....

Kris_H 6 years, 8 months ago

Why do you keep posting in a thread if you want it to die? :D

gl0ckUser 6 years, 8 months ago

ljworld why have you not done any updates as far as appeals filed in this case ? They are on the pacer site.

gl0ckUser 6 years, 8 months ago

what is strange is GUY did not do anything to exhibit signs that he was incompetent..... he was deemed competent 3 times before the prosecutor had him locked up.

here is a story about a real crazy person who ate their own eyeball and killed his wife daughter and son, And he was deemed competent to stand trial........

Richard Heckler 6 years, 8 months ago

"During the six-day trial, federal prosecutors presented witnesses who said they sold merchandise to Neighbors at the Yellow House that they’d stolen from other stores in the area. "

Credible witnesses?

Was Yellow House being set up?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 8 months ago

Don't encourage them, merrill. Don't you have some copy/pasting to do on another thread?

gl0ckUser 6 years, 8 months ago

6 years before there is ever a trial and the second defendant has been deemed incompetent after filing complaints ( for the last 2 years) ......... Something is not right.

The supposed witnesses were people the yh help run sting operations against while working with the lpd to catch these criminals.

Something is very wrong with the stuff that's been going on.

RoeDapple 6 years, 8 months ago

Here, let me fix that for you.

This case has been at the center of so much of (smitty's obsession) by sheer volume of (smitty's) posts alone that it is (easy) to understand why the JW doesn't keep this story updated.

MyName 6 years, 8 months ago

shh.... be quiet. The thread is sleeping....

Necroed thread is necroed Necroed thread is necroed...

Rick Aldrich 6 years, 8 months ago

They finally got caught! I've heard some stories about that hole in the wall. gotta be something true about their so called legal business if she was found guilty on all 6 charges.

gl0ckUser 6 years, 8 months ago

The guilty verdict was due to the instructions the judge gave to the jury But you would know that if you had access to the pacer site or if the jw would have done a follow up story

By the way carrie's sentencing has been moved 3 times now...... Wonder what the holdup is??

Flap Doodle 6 years, 8 months ago

smitty, why don't you start a website with paywall so you can reap all the $ generated by your natterings?