Archive for Monday, September 20, 2010

GOP candidate Christine O’Donnell makes light of witchcraft comment

September 20, 2010

— Republican Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell is making light of comments she made more than a decade ago about having dabbled in witchcraft when she was in high school.

“How many of you didn’t hang out with questionable folks in high school?” she asked fellow Republicans at a GOP picnic in southern Delaware on Sunday.

“There’s been no witchcraft since. If there was, Karl Rove would be a supporter now,” O’Donnell jokingly assured the crowd.

Rove, the former GOP strategist and adviser to President George W. Bush, has suggested that O’Donnell’s win in last week’s GOP primary cost Republicans a chance to retake the Senate seat long held by Democrat Joe Biden before he was elected vice president.

O’Donnell, a conservative Christian activist, rode a surging tide of tea party activism to an upset victory over GOP moderate Michael Castle, Delaware’s longtime congressman and former two-term governor. She faces Democratic county executive Chris Coons in November.

O’Donnell’s comments about witchcraft were made during a 1999 taping of comedian Bill Maher’s “Politically Incorrect” show.

“I dabbled into witchcraft. I never joined a coven,” she said on the show, a clip of which hit the Internet as O’Donnell canceled Sunday appearances on two national news shows, citing commitments to attend church and the GOP picnic in Delaware.

“I hung around people who were doing these things. I’m not making this stuff up. I know what they told me they do,” O’Donnell told Maher.

“One of my first dates with a witch was on a satanic altar, and I didn’t know it. I mean, there’s little blood there and stuff like that,” she said. “We went to a movie and then had a little midnight picnic on a satanic altar.”

Ron Holzwarth 5 years, 2 months ago

I think that only matters if she consults with her astrologer before she makes political decisions. Just about all of us have done silly things when we were younger.

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

Imagine if it had been Hillary Clinton who made such a claim. The Right would explode.

Dabbling in witchcraft is far from the worst thing going on with this candidate.

Kyle Reed 5 years, 2 months ago

Try again. If Hillary or any liberal had said it you would have never known about it.

newmedia 5 years, 2 months ago

Wasn't it Hillary that was channeling Eleanor Roosevelt or some nutty thing like that?

QuinnSutore 5 years, 2 months ago

Studying hard so that they could attend the most prestigious liberal indoctrination camps - er, universities.

Or contemplating a career spitting out welfare babies.

BigAl 5 years, 2 months ago

I wonder why educated people tend to be liberal?

QuinnSutore 5 years, 2 months ago

I wonder why liberals consider themselves educated and Rush Limbaugh just sold a $14 million New York penthouse?

How's all that education workin' out for ya?

mbulicz 5 years, 2 months ago

We're debating a candidate's stance on witchcraft.

In 2010.

mbulicz 5 years, 2 months ago

I thought we'd solved the whole witchcraft thing in the Enlightenment, I mean.

Ralph Reed 5 years, 2 months ago

You have got to to be kidding. But, maybe not. Nobody could make this stuff up.

staff04 5 years, 2 months ago

This lady (with help from Sarah Palin and the Tea Party, amongst others) has likely cost the GOP a stone-cold lock to pick up a seat in the Senate.

BigDog 5 years, 2 months ago

I guess they will have to decide whether they have more concern about O"Donnell's comments from things she did in high school around witch craft .......

Or the article Chris Coons wrote for the Amherst College newspaper when he was 21 -- a piece entitled "Chris Coons: The Making of a Bearded Marxist."

mbulicz 5 years, 2 months ago

I'd take someone who wrote an article with a controversial title over someone who believes in bronze age mythology.

pagan_idolator 5 years, 2 months ago

If she is spouting off about Satanic altars she never dabbled in witchcraft or Wicca.

Kris_H 5 years, 2 months ago

I dabbled in Christianity from whenever my folks first sent me to Sunday school until age 18 when I grew out of it. Yes, I did hang around folks who did those kind of things, like eating the body and drinking the blood of the son of their god. I'm not making this stuff up, that's what they told me they were doing.

missunderestimate 5 years, 2 months ago

Are we all watching Dancing With The Stars tonight? I like my daughter's choice of music: "Mama Told Me Not to Come."

Well, I guess she didn't really totally understand my message there.....

And I am glad she is doing strip tease. That way she will have a career she can fall back on.

As you recall during the campaign, I was all about protecting my children from the public eye. I sure am glad I did that.

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

Christine O'Donnell dabbled in witchcraft. Bobby Jindal took part in an exorcism. Sarah Palin was blessed by a witch doctor.

Yet the Right is worried that Obama might secretly be a Muslim?

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

My bad! I forgot. The Right is afraid that Obama is secretly an "anti-colonial" Kenyan Muslim!

Kris_H 5 years, 2 months ago

Well, actually, if the Tea Party folks are defending the Constitution like they claim they are, it should NOT matter to them what anyone's religion is. I sort of have a feeling that's not what a lot of them really think, though.

Mike Ford 5 years, 2 months ago

firstly the tea partiers should learn to spell constitution.... then they should admit as the out of the closet state's rights nuts they are that what they really want is the articles of confederation... they think this is connected to the confederates of the south, right? (laughter).

Kyle Reed 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm pretty sure you are the last person that should be giving spelling and/or punctuation advice. Reading your post makes my brain hurt.

Kyle Reed 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh bozo, just be glad I'm not pointing out how stupid you are. I?

Jonathan Becker 5 years, 2 months ago

I fear for the Constitution with these defenders. Palin, O'Donnell, et al. remind me of the Keystone Kops, only with sound.

mr_right_wing 5 years, 2 months ago

This now makes perfect sense!

That is how George W. got his super-human, devious, diabolical, immortal, evil genius status!! Witchcraft.

Were you aware that George W. is responsible for Africanized "killer" bees coming to the United States??

He also caused KU to lose another football game!!

The man cannot be stopped......

Gene Wallace 5 years, 2 months ago

Let's see. I'm Wiccan. I weigh a bit over 300lbs. Can you find a Duck that heavy? No. Could I ever run for office in this country and have a chance of winning? No. Is O'Donnell Loony-Tunes? Yes. Because she thinks she dabbled? No. Because of her present beliefs? Yes.

BrianR 5 years, 2 months ago

"dabbled in witchcraft when she was in high school."

madameX 5 years, 2 months ago

Perhaps we should make her take the Hogwart Sorting Hat Personality Test?

Actually, I'd like to know what all canidates for public office houses are and I've been waiting for a while to bust that out.

My money is on Slytherin too.

Haiku_Cuckoo 5 years, 2 months ago

She's cute in a "Sally Field in 'Smokey and the Bandit'" sort of way. Apart from that, her qualifications appear to be jack-squat.

catsmeow 5 years, 2 months ago

For over a decade educators, Hollywood, and even parents have encouraged the reading books and movies of the character "Harry Potter." This is WITCHCRAFT folks, WITCHCRAFT. Ms O'Donnell repented and turned away from her "dabble" into the darkness. Now, who is going to throw then next stone?

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

Not sure if serious. . . . .

Only 3 posts in the history, enough to give indication but not proof.

Anyway: "Look mom, I'm practicing witchcraft! Expelliarmus!!"

pagan_idolator 5 years, 2 months ago

You, like Ms. O'Donnell, need to figure out that just because something is non-Christian does not make it satanic. Wiccans do not believe in your satan, nor do we have "picnics" on our altar. It is considered a sacred space in that we do not eat at nor do we have blood. Unless the High Priestess cut herself with her athame by accident. Wiccans do not convert people nor do we proselytize.

Jimo 5 years, 2 months ago

What about the mice with fully functioning human brains? (2007?) Love to hear that explanation.

What are the rules when the GOP candidate drops out to focus on her criminal prosecution 2 days before the election?

acg 5 years, 2 months ago

This chick is a dingbat, just like that Palin idiot she's trying so hard to look like. I can't imagine anyone with any brains actually voting for her. But then again, we've been repeatedly shown that the tea-baggers have no brains so....God only knows what the future holds.

Kontum1972 5 years, 2 months ago

so how does she obtain fed funding if she owns back taxes? i want to know how that works?

enlighten me?

Kirk Larson 5 years, 2 months ago

Her talk about lust and masturbation makes me think she's a little whacky. Then I heard she's 42 and unmarried. If she were a man there would be gossip that she was gay (hear that Lindsey Graham?), but I just think any man who gets to know her realizes "We're not going to have any kind of a sex life, are we?" and dumps her.

somedude20 5 years, 2 months ago

If good looks can get you elected than Christina Hendricks should be the Prez. Why are Palin and O’Donnell so popular? Is it because they are not so attractive that it makes them attainable for "the common man" or because most of the other women in politics look like Nixon (post death)?

yankeevet 5 years, 2 months ago

I used too date a witch........really liked too watch her ride her broom around the house; very entertaining.........and she also had a magic; thats another story......yowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

O'Donnell isn't the rising star of the Republican party, she is the Republican's rising pentagram!

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

This should be rich, so please do explain.

pagan_idolator 5 years, 2 months ago

You might be surprised at how many Wiccans there are in Tongie. You may also be surprised to know that there are actually Wiccan Republicans. Lawrencians for the most part are pretty chill.

Gene Wallace 5 years, 2 months ago

Here is one Conservative Wiccan who, also, believes in woman's rights, gay rights, freedom of and from religion, and is a 2 tour-of-duty Vietnam Veteran. Yes, I live in Lawrence.

Gene Wallace 5 years, 2 months ago

Also, I dabbled in Fundamentalist Christianity when I was in High School. Found my way out of that box before I could vote.

Armored_One 5 years, 2 months ago

Whatever happened to the age old question...

Can she do the job?

Who cares the personal convictions? Is a Baptist more qualified than a Jew? A Catholic moreso than a Mormon?

If she can do the job, I don't care if she believes in vodun.

kansasmutt 5 years, 2 months ago

Hope she decides to come to Kansas to run for office. Shes got my vote. I bet she didnt molest little boys at church. I bet she doesnt lie cheat and steal and say 10 hale marrys and get off scott free.