Lawrence city commissioners will consider rezoning property at the eastern edge of Kansas University’s main campus.
Specific properties — 502 W. 14th, 414 W. 14th, 1346 Ohio, 1340-42 Ohio, and 507 W. 14th — would go from their current zoning categories, which provide for “multi-dwelling residential” uses, to a category described as “mixed use.”
Commissioners also would consider approving two special-use permits for businesses included in the rezoning. The permits would allow both The Wheel and The Hawk to continue operations, if and when the properties were rezoned.
The requests come from Paul Werner Architects, on behalf of property owners.
In a rezoning application filed in July, the firm said that the proposal would include a “primary development zone” that would be compatible with existing development in the area. Under the “mixed use” zoning, buildings could be 48 feet tall.
Most of the surrounding residential buildings — “whether they are apartments, boarding houses, greek housing or KU buildings” — are at or near 45 feet tall, the firm said. The only exceptions: a few apartment buildings that are shorter.
While “currently there are no plans for new buildings on the subject property,” wrote the firm’s Joy Rhea, “the primary development zone is compatible with the surrounding land uses in density and use because it allows this small commercial node to legally exist and further development to serve the city of Lawrence and KU, which it has been historically been doing since 1906.”
Before the meeting
Commissioners will be meeting at the Bioscience and Business Technology Center, 2029 Becker Drive, at 4 p.m. with KU Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little. Upon completion of the meeting, commissioners will return to City Hall, have a light dinner and prepare for the City Commission meeting at 6:35 p.m.
• Sister city delegation from Eutin, Germany, high school.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Aug. 17.
• Receive minutes from boards and commissions.
• Approve claims.
• Approve licenses recommended by the city clerk’s office.
• Approve appointments recommended by the mayor.
• Award bid for Sixth Street ITS Project to K&W; Underground Inc. for $382,479.90.
• Adopt these ordinances on second and final reading:
a. Rezone 1.31 acres from RS10 (Single-Dwelling Residential) to RM12 (Multi-Dwelling Residential), at 200 N. Mich. for Northwind Apartments.
b. Rezone 3.92 acres from CS (Commercial Strip) and RM12 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) to RM12 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) at 2130 Silicon Ave. for Crosswinds East.
• Receive and refer to the planning commission an annexation request for 51.13 acres at the southwest corner of North 1800 Road (the Farmers’ Turnpike) and East 1000 Road (Queens Road extended), submitted by Venture Properties Inc., property owner of record.
• Approve as signs of community interest a request from the Lawrence Home Builders Association to place directional signs advertising the Fall Parade of Homes in various rights of way throughout the city. The signs would be placed on Sept. 25 and removed by Oct. 4.
• City manager’s report.
• Conduct a public hearing about waiving a distance restriction for the Ballard B3 event from 6 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Sept. 24 in South Park.
• Receive staff report regarding potential changes to sidewalk dining and hospitality regulations.
• Consider approval of Comprehensive Plan Amendment to approve and incorporate by reference the Oread Neighborhood Plan. Adopt on first reading.
• Consider approving rezonings from RM32 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) to MU (Mixed Use) for:
a. 0.13 of an acre at 502 W. 14th St., submitted by Paul Werner Architects for Oread Villas LLC, property owner of record.
b. 0.05 of at acre at 414 W. 14th St., submitted by Paul Werner Architects for D&D; Rentals of Lawrence LLC, property owner of record.
c) 0.09 of an acre at 1346 Ohio, submitted by Paul Werner Architects for D&D; Rentals of Lawrence LLC, property owner of record.
d) 0.13 of an acre at 1340-1342 Ohio, submitted by Paul Werner Architects for HDD of Lawrence LLC, property owner of record.
e) 0.13 of an acre at 507 W. 14th, submitted by Paul Werner Architects for John C. Wooden, property owner of record.
• Consider on first reading ordinances allowing special-use permits for a bar or lounge use at 1340-1342 Ohio and 507 W. 14th upon rezoning to the MU District.