Archive for Friday, September 17, 2010

Vancouver woman admits acid attack self-inflicted

September 17, 2010

— A woman who gained sympathy worldwide after she claimed a random assailant threw acid on her face came forward Thursday with a startling admission: She inflicted the attack on herself.

Vancouver police chief Clifford Cook said Bethany Storro admitted under police questioning to fabricating a story about the attack, in which she suffered severe burns.

Cook said he did not know a motive for Storro’s actions, but added she is “very remorseful.” He said Storro was still being interviewed by detectives.

The police chief said that “during the course of the investigation, several discrepancies began to emerge regarding the alleged attack,” leading police to search her home earlier Thursday and interview her.

“During the interview, Ms. Storro admitted the injuries were self-inflicted,” Cook said.

Police had been seeking a black woman with a ponytail after Storro described the Aug. 30 attack. She had said the woman asked her, “Hey, pretty girl, want something to drink?” then threw acid in her face.

Comments

Determined 3 years, 7 months ago

I think she should get mental health support because this was a very distructive cry for attention. I also think she should be held accountable for filing a false police report.

Kathryn Toyne 3 years, 7 months ago

Not the greatest idea in the world.

kernal 3 years, 7 months ago

Think we've got a toad here.

songbirdangel 3 years, 7 months ago

This woman is EVIL!!!!! She should rot in hell for what she did. She caused a lot of pain for a lot of people. I don't know why the media is portraying her as some poor, remorseful, sob story when what she did reflects how manipulative and evil she truly is!!!

whats_going_on 3 years, 7 months ago

Wow...I guess the people who doubted this were right. But why the heck would she do that?!

Paul R Getto 3 years, 7 months ago

BR: I agree. When I saw this I was stunned and wonder what this poor woman was thinking. I hope she recovers as best she can. Wonder what the real story behind all this is?

BrianR 3 years, 7 months ago

I saw this story on TV this morning, that is terrible; it makes no sense that she would do that to herself. She was very attractive now she looks like she was bobbing for French fries.