Archive for Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lawrence Journal-World named 2010 Newspaper of the Year by Suburban Newspapers of America

The Lawrence Journal-World won the award for 2010 Newspaper of the Year from the Suburban Newspaper of America. This is the fourth time the Journal-World has received the honor since 2005.

September 16, 2010

The Lawrence Journal-World was named 2010 Newspaper of the Year Thursday by Suburban Newspapers of America.

The judges said of the Journal-World, “Lots of news, particularly on University of Kansas happenings. Some impressive investigative work.”

Of the newspaper’s typography, the judges said, “Creative layout; good use of color. ‘Go!’ lifestyle section colorful and lively.”

The Journal-World was named SNA’s Newspaper of the Year in its circulation category (30,000 or less) in 2009, 2007 and 2005, and placed second in 2006.

SNA is composed of more than 2,000 newspapers across North America.

Comments

Kent Fisher 4 years, 7 months ago

The article is entirely accurate. LJW earned this award for Class E circulation as shown in the pdf link you provided.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 7 months ago

this is why billybob1 ranked absolute last on investigative reporting...

Alycat 4 years, 7 months ago

Read past the 1st page, Billy Bob. Page 5. The under 30,000 circulation group (2nd largest group)

Way to go, LJW!!!!!

easyliving 4 years, 7 months ago

Great job LJW Staff, I will continue to read the Lawrence Journal World and will immediately cancel my subscription to the honorable mention in this category: The Antelope Valley Press

Clark Coan 4 years, 7 months ago

Investigative reporting????? Did you see the headline on the front page today?

giveitback 4 years, 7 months ago

Great newspaper! I check it out every morning on-line. I wish I had the time to sit down before work and read the paper version. Both are good though. Congrats!!

Danimal 4 years, 7 months ago

I think that the LJ World is a really excellent newspaper for a city this size. Honestly the LJ World produces a newspaper that I would stack up against any other newspaper from any American city under a million people. LJW's online edition is the best that I've seen from any newspaper. The Go! section needs to go away though.

BigAl 4 years, 7 months ago

Great Job LJW..!!!!! I love my morning coffee while reading the paper version of the Journal World. The only newspaper I subscribe to.

tryandkeepup 4 years, 7 months ago

Do you know anything about the family who owns this newpaper? Leftist Marxist Halfwits they are not! Check out the Saturday column... leftist only in comparison to the Tea Party.

wysiwyg69 4 years, 7 months ago

chihawk' apparently it is good enough for you to read and make comments in. If you don't like it, don't read it, it is your choice..

Stuart Evans 4 years, 7 months ago

Biff love sports, but the words get in the way. go sports!

yes, I'm making fun of you.

olddognewtrix 4 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations to the LJW! In Kansas we are fortunate to have the award winning KC Star in the larger arena, and the Manhattan Mercury in a smaller arena. Why do we have such a backward electorate in Kansas? Maybe too many read the Topeka Capitol /Journal

he_who_knows_all 4 years, 7 months ago

Congrats LJWorld. I'm sure you've only won this award for allowing blogs by AnnaUndercover and others to exist.

happyrock 4 years, 7 months ago

Gosh, I did not realize ten people actually liked the newspaper. As for me I cancelled my subscription long ago and read it on-line when I am bored.

phoggyjay 4 years, 7 months ago

Living in Ireland, but read online everyday.

Congrats!

Stuart Evans 4 years, 7 months ago

congrats to you for living in Ireland. can you send for me?

skinny 4 years, 7 months ago

Let’s see, Douglas County has over hundred thousand people. The LJWorld's circulation is below 30000. That pretty much sums it up!

Ryan Wood 4 years, 7 months ago

skinny, that is OUTSTANDING market penetration for a newspaper.

For a comparison, Los Angeles County has 9.9 million people. the LA Times circulation is 600,000.

skinny 4 years, 7 months ago

I was comparing it to the KCstar, Topeka Capital, and The Manhattan Mercury. Not the West Coast!

BigAl 4 years, 7 months ago

And let me guess, you are another free-loader that reads this newspaper on-line, and then complains about circulation...!

mdrndgtl 4 years, 7 months ago

This must be another mistake, like K-State on the Best Colleges list. Just kidding, you guys are alright. Just kidding again, this paper is awful.

sad_lawrencian 4 years, 7 months ago

I was impressed by the Sunday edition of the LJW. Much better than the Star's Sunday edition. Kudos to the LJW!

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 7 months ago

How suburban do you have to be to win a prize like this? I admit, Lawrence is probably the most sub-urban place I've ever lived-- and demonstrably bad all the way around, including its newspaper.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

equal. How pathetic are you? Living in such a terrible place?
Now shut up and go away, back where you came from.
Which is where by the way? East coast? West coast? Missouri?

Clara Westphal 4 years, 7 months ago

I SUBSCRIBE TO THE LAWRENCE JOURNAL WORLD AND READ IT EVERY DAY. I WISH THEY WOULD MAKE THE PRINT LARGER IN THE SPORTS BROADCAST COLUMN THOUGH. ALSO, DOING AWAY WITH THE 'GO' SECTION AND IMPROVING THE COMICS SELECTIONS WOULD HELP.