Archive for Thursday, September 16, 2010

Boy injured in car-bicycle accident

September 16, 2010, 2:31 p.m. Updated September 17, 2010, 1:33 a.m.

A motorist struck a 14-year-old bicyclist on his way to school Thursday morning at 15th Street and Cadet Avenue, according to police.

The boy was riding his bicycle in the crosswalk around 7:30 a.m. when a 29-year-old Lawrence woman hit him as she was turning right onto Cade Avenue.

The boy was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The woman, driving a Chevy S-10 Blazer, was cited at the scene.

A condition update for the boy was not available Thursday night.

Comments

Jeanne Cunningham 4 years, 3 months ago

as she was turning right onto Cade (sic) Avenue. (Cadet?)

akt2 4 years, 3 months ago

15th from Haskell to Connecticut is now a huge accident waiting to happen. They have tore the sidewalks out and are replacing curbs. Orange cones line the street. The kids walking to Central have no place to walk except the street. I think it is absolutely ridiculus to wait till school starts and then rip the sidewalks up on a direct route to the school. Also the sun in your eyes at 7:30a is horrendous travelling east at this time of year. If this woman was turning right on to Cadet, the sun was in her face.

fanaddict 4 years, 3 months ago

I was going to mention the sun too...I was traveling that way at 7:30 this morning and was at a crawling speed because the bright sun was so crippling

Lisa Rasor 4 years, 3 months ago

Almost all of the posts on here are rants, Defender. What else should they be? All of us are judgmental in some way. Get over it.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 3 months ago

My condolences to the loved ones of the man killed in Topeka. Utter relief that this kid was not killed.

jfcm77 4 years, 3 months ago

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

How about 10 ft sidewalks for 15th?

Why should WEST 23rd be the only privileged area?

gccs14r 4 years, 3 months ago

When I was a kid, we were taught to stop, dismount, and walk our bikes across streets if riding on the sidewalk.

KCsFinest5 4 years, 3 months ago

YES me too. However I rarely followed that order. It sounds like the kid is fine (thank God).

Brad Maestas 4 years, 3 months ago

It's certainly safer for the pedestrians. I am a life-long cyclist and bicycle advocate but I don't support riding on sidewalks. I think it's okay if you're very young and have just started riding but since you'll eventually be riding in the street, I think you should start learning those skills as early as possible. Motorists need to learn how to deal with bikes as well. If there's no shoulder due to construction you can bet I'll be taking the lane as I have the right to. Cyclists should also be aware of the effects of the sun in a driver's eyes and ride accordingly. On Sunday I rode 150 miles in the NYC Century through four boroughs. No streets were blocked off and we rode just as anyone would, out of the door zone and if needed, into the lanes. I wouldn't have it any other way.

kberry 4 years, 3 months ago

People drive way too fast around that corner all of the time. I have nearly been hit while walking my dog near there before. For some reason, it seems that many people think Cadet Ave. is a street for drag racing rather than a neighborhood street that children walk down (since there are NO sidewalks) and ride their bikes on. I have always feared that some one would get hurt at that corner or on our street. Drivers: SLOW DOWN! There are a number of small/young children that live on that street. Parents: Please teach your children to be more aware of their surroundings when riding and proper rules of the road when riding their bikes. City: Please consider building some sidewalks in the neighborhoods, not just on 15th. @gccs14r - I was also taught to stop, dismount and walk my bike across streets. I am teaching my own son that same rule. Prevention is the key on all fronts.

Kris_H 4 years, 3 months ago

That's great, but wouldn't she have still hit him if he was walking in the crosswalk, for whatever reason she hit him whiile he was riding?

I'm very glad he wasn't killed, also. There are going to be more and more cycles on the road, both kids and adults, so everyone needs to stay aware (both riders and drivers).

gccs14r 4 years, 3 months ago

Not necessarily. As Mr. Harris points out below, a pedestrian is slower than a bicycle and therefore easier to see in time to stop. Also, a pedestrian is more maneuverable than a bicycle, so it's easier to pull up short or change direction if a car approaches unexpectedly.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

"On another note, is it really safer for bicycles to ride in the road instead of the sidewalk? I don't believe it is...."

Depending on the street I say sidewalks are a safer choice. While many drivers are sensitive to sharing the road the few that are not create big and dangerous problems.

Sidewalks are definitely safer for instructing our children the bike basics.

Drunk drivers are a danger to all however cyclists have not much chance against motorized vehicles.

Then there are rowdy rude drivers and/or their passengers who are threats to cyclists by pulling too close and/or cutting sharply in front of cyclists as if that is so cool. I submit there should be some extremely harsh fines for this nonsense.

Ken Harris 4 years, 3 months ago

Where this accident occurred (cyclist in the cross-walk) is a prime example of why cyclists should NOT be on sidewalks. A motorist is not expecting/doesn't look for a cyclist traveling at speed on a sidewalk. It would be interesting to know if the cyclist was riding against traffic or with traffic, which would also impact the driver's reaction time.

On the other hand a motorist can more easily see and react to a cyclist in the street riding with traffic.

puddleglum 4 years, 3 months ago

I'd say something about women drivers, but I think the story speaks for itself.....

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

Bicycle Advisory Board meets September 21 at 6PM at City Hall. Ground floor = floor below street entrance.

Bikes on sidewalks appears to be part of an agenda item.

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 3 months ago

I will always ride on the sidewalk when the street is too dangerous.

I want to live.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

A drunk drive ran over Rachel Leek not that long ago. Then a rider got run over by a cell phone driver while on a morning ride also not that long ago.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

Ray LaHood: “This is the end of favoring motorized transportation at the expense of non-motorized.”

When the Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood stood on a table at the National Bike Summit to thank the crowd and show his support for bicycling and walking, he was just getting started.

Today, he announced his new Policy Statement on Bicycle and Pedestrian Accommodation Regulations and Recommendations. It is simply the strongest statement of support for prioritizing bicycling and walking ever to come from a sitting secretary of transportation.

On his blog, he writes:

Today, I want to announce a sea change. People across America who value bicycling should have a voice when it comes to transportation planning. This is the end of favoring motorized transportation at the expense of non-motorized.

We are integrating the needs of bicyclists in federally-funded road projects. We are discouraging transportation investments that negatively affect cyclists and pedestrians. And we are encouraging investments that go beyond the minimum requirements and provide facilities for bicyclists and pedestrians of all ages and abilities.

To set this approach in motion, we have formulated key recommendations for state DOTs and communities:

* Treat walking and bicycling as equals with other transportation modes.
    * Ensure convenient access for people of all ages and abilities.
    * Go beyond minimum design standards.
    * Collect data on walking and biking trips.
    * Set a mode share target for walking and bicycling.
    * Protect sidewalks and shared-use paths the same way roadways are protected (for example, snow removal)
    * Improve nonmotorized facilities during maintenance projects.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

Consider that developers want to spend $300 million dollars to build a trafficway design that is obsolete and truly not necessary. Their true endeavor to build more bedrooms along the way that will merely expand the tax dollar money hole known as the Lawrence bedroom community. Developers eat up a ton of OUR big government tax dollars building their big profit ventures.

Instead consider what $300 million could do that would improve the quality of life in Lawrence,Kansas for pedestrians, cyclists and existing neighborhoods.

How many ways could Lawrence citizens apply the following:

Perhaps the City of Lawrence could be green enough to provide inner urban " Pedestrian - Cyclists Safe Pathways". Yes throughout the inner city not only around the city.

For example: Create pathways on two of the most dangerous streets for both pedestrians and cyclists aka Tennessee and Kentucky. The right of way is available aka existing sidewalks and there is a ton of bike and pedestrian traffic in these areas at all hours.

1. Widen sidewalks on the eastside of each street to accommodate both cyclists and pedestrians.
  2. Light them up
  3. Provide cross walk signs and markings at each intersection from 7th to 19th to increase awareness of drivers
  4. Decrease speed by 5 mph from 7th to 19th
  5. In the process the city is making it safer for women = rape prevention.
  6. Name these pathways after Rachel.

The investment is small compared to the safety that could be provided. All students no matter their age are worth the investment considering the number of jobs they generate and tax dollar revenue they generate. Students bring life and culture to Lawrence,Kansas. Students at the elementary school age till they become senior citizens.

Just doing the above will still leave millions of tax dollars in the cookie jar. Let's erect flashing safe walk beacons at all crossings within a three block radius of all schools.

Now there is enough left over to repair and widen a number of sidewalks in the older neighborhoods to promote "Our Walkable Community". Lawrence does not need more neighborhoods we just need to improve what we have.

My guess is Lawrence still did not spend the entire $300 million yet we Lawrence taxpayers improved the quality of life for the entire city. This was accomplished by fiscally responsible spending.

whoswho 4 years, 3 months ago

I live on Cadet Ave, and I have to say that a lot of people zoom by on this road! They don't account for all of the little children who live in this area. The police would issue a lot of tickets on this road if they ever decided to radar on it. I personally think they should. It's not just teenage drivers speeding on it either. I can't count the number of drivers on motorcycles that floor it down this road. It's very dangerous for all involved.