Archive for Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Reopened golf complex east of Lawrence hopes to make sport affordable, includes a mini golf course

TwinOaks golf complex is now open again after being shut down for about four years. The driving range is currently open with a pitch-and-putt and mini golf course set to open in the spring.

September 15, 2010

A long vacant golf complex along Kansas Highway 10 is back in business.

Twin Oaks Golf, just east of Lawrence at the intersection of K-10 and County Route 1057, has reopened its driving range and expects to reopen its nine-hole pitch and putt course and mini-golf courses early next year.

“I believe there is a real need for entry-level, affordable, fun golf,” said Jeff Burey, owner of the facility. “We can provide a place that addresses the three biggest problems of golf: cost, frustration in learning and time.”

Burey was among a group that opened the complex in 1991. The facility closed about four years ago when Burey — who had been a golf course manager for a Kansas City club — left the area to manage the Prairie Dunes course in Hutchinson.

Burey has since retired from that position and said he wants to see how the Twin Oaks business can fare now that he’ll be able to devote his full attention to it.

He said he hasn’t yet set prices for how much it will cost to play the nine-hole course — which has no hole longer than 70 yards — but he expects it to be cheaper than more traditional golf.

“A family of four should be able to come out and play a round for no more than they would spend to go to a movie,” Burey said.

Burey also said he’s registering the course as a SNAG golf location, which is a national program to get youth involved in golf. Burey said he hopes to convince area school districts to bring physical education classes to the course.

Comments

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 7 months ago

make it like a Putt Putt with windmills and etc and it will go. otherwise, turn in the small busienss loanpapers and file bankrukptcy.

ClaroAtaxia 3 years, 7 months ago

Hooray! FINALLY a good mini golf course in Lawrence! I played there the last time they were open and it's one of my favorite mini golf courses in the area, can't wait for it to open! Also, glad the driving range opened back up! Now I don't have to drive way over to Eagle Bend to whack some balls. It would be REALLY nice if they could at least get one or two par 3's on the pitch and putt course, but that's wishful dreaming.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

If you want affordable, real golf. You need to check out "Great LIfe Golf and Fitness." Unlimited golf (green fees) on eleven courses from Abilene to KC. Fitness club, pools in the summer, all for $31.00 a month. Best golf deal in the country.

mdrndgtl 3 years, 7 months ago

Played this course a few weeks before it closed. The greens were shag, but it was still fun. Glad it's opening up again, can't wait.

Marcus DeMond 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree with that. This town needs go karts!!!

Tony Kisner 3 years, 7 months ago

Add a go cart track and you got a winner. Maybe a skating rink. - just sayin.

Belinda Rehmer 3 years, 7 months ago

I am so excited! Love the Putt-Putt course and if the 9 hole is promoted as a "learners" course maybe I will be more comfortable playing there! I haven't played since being chaced down by golf police at Eagle Bend. Seems "serious" golfers on carts 2 holes behind us, were afraid we would hold them up... we stopped and let them play through... but I picked up my ball and walked the rest of the way with my group. Haven't played since.

CreatureComforts 3 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like someplace a FAMILY can have fun...very rare in Lawrence! A 9 hole short course would be perfect for kids learning to golf...there are enough other "real" courses in Lawrence for the adults.

pea 3 years, 7 months ago

No hole longer than 70 yards?! This sounds terribly fun.

mom_of_three 3 years, 7 months ago

Yay, I cant wait to go to the driving range. I have gone to the Orchards many times, but I am not that good, and am tired of chasing the balls down the gulleys

Richard Heckler 3 years, 7 months ago

No tax dollars involved we can hope??

Fred Sherman 3 years, 7 months ago

The Orchards course off of 15th Street is hard to beat price-wise. Noon to 3:00 in the summer, one can play 9-holes for $8 - cheaper than a bucket of balls at most driving ranges. Four of the nine holes are a bit longer than a par-3.

CountyResident 3 years, 7 months ago

Glad to hear this. I hope they put up some road signs and/or do other advertising to let people know it is there. When they were open before, I don't believe a lot of folks even knew there was a miniature golf course just outside of Lawrence.

Jean1183 3 years, 7 months ago

My hubby will be happy about this!