Archive for Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Former priest to be extradited to Texas to face sex-abuse charges

Former Catholic priest John M. Fiala is being extradited to Texas after being arrested in Lawrence.

September 14, 2010

A former Catholic priest wanted on sex crime charges in Texas waived his right to fight extradition Tuesday morning in Douglas County District Court.

John M. Fiala, 51, told District Judge Peggy Kittel he wanted to speed up the process.

“I’d be willing to sign the papers to get the process moving forward,” Fiala said.

Fiala is wanted by authorities in Edwards County, Texas, on four counts of sex crimes against children, according to the U.S. Marshal’s Office. Federal and local authorities arrested him more than a week ago in the 800 block of East 11th Street.

Fiala was removed from the priesthood in 2008 after the allegations in Texas surfaced.

According to news reports, Fiala had several priest assignments, including in Shawnee in 2001 followed by several months in Holton. He also worked as spiritual director from 1998 to 2001 at a religious order that had a house in the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, Mo. No reports have detailed any sexual abuse allegations against Fiala while he was in Kansas or Missouri.

During an earlier court appearance, Fiala said he thought that the Texas case had been dropped and that he wasn’t trying to run from authorities. He could have fought extradition and forced Texas authorities to seek a governor’s warrant.

Kittel told Fiala he likely would be moved to Texas in the next two weeks.

Comments

HogJiver 4 years, 7 months ago

conservative 4 years, 7 months ago

The question was asked on a previous article but i never saw a response. What happened to the journal world's policy of not identifying suspects in sex crimes until there is a conviction? Personally i prefer the information be printed, but another sex abuse case since the first article again stated the policy. Why is this case being handled differently?

wmathews 4 years, 7 months ago

The policy stands. We made an error in naming the suspect in the previous article. We can't undo that mistake, and we feel we should stay consistent in our reporting. Thus, the suspect is named in this article as well.

Whitney Mathews Online Editor

Rex Russell 4 years, 7 months ago

Thank you for the clarification, Courtney.

teller 4 years, 7 months ago

This was already a known case to begin with. If you do a search for his name, it appears in another news affiliates article. His name had already been advertised because he was wanted for these charges and was still at large. The article also included a description of him in hopes he would be identified so they could arrest him.

snoozey 4 years, 7 months ago

Unfortunate for him that he gave up being a priest, he could have gotten by with just being transferred to another parish again. Bad career move.

KayCee 4 years, 7 months ago

He didn't 'give up' the priesthood, he was removed by the Church when the allegations were made in Texas. There was no knowledge of anything while he was in Kansas and Missouri.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm gonna post this again, and it is not my intention to offend Catholics.

This is one of a few areas where there is a difference between Christian and Catholic doctrine. The Bible warns against the forbidding of marriage (I Tim 4:1-3). The Bible even sets out the qualifications of a Pastor/Bishop/Elder in I Tim 3:2. "...the husband of one wife." Catholics claim Paul was the first pope...guess what? He was married.

There is no iron-clad way to prevent any person from doing harm to another; but you can take some measures to lessen the chances.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 7 months ago

"The hypocrisy of child abuse in many Muslim countries"

That was an excellent article...thank you.

(Some would probably label it "hate speech" though.)

ivalueamerica 4 years, 7 months ago

obamarocks,

Some do, some don't, what you are doing is just as ignorant and bigoted as those who hate all Muslims because of the extremists.

There is no room for bigotry in any direction. Those that hate Christians based on the stupid actions of ignorant Christians are just as bad as those who blame peaceful Muslims for the actions of militant Muslims who are just as bad as those who judge people on the color of their skin, their weight or whatever.

Those are the terrorists within America, the bigots and I do not care if they are bigots against Muslims, against Christians, Against athiests, against Blacks, against Whites, against Mexicans...bigots are a cancer to our great nation.

Bobo Fleming 4 years, 7 months ago

to obamarocks. I guess you dont know very much about the Koran. I suggest you take a look at the wifes of the prophet. I think one was 8 or maybe 9. Just read it and find out for yourself.

beatrice 4 years, 7 months ago

And how many 8 and 9 year olds, and younger, did the Christian god drown when he asked Noah to build an arc?

Sorry, but you are applying ancient standards to today's sense of morality. It doesn't fit.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm going to point something out just to show you naysayers that I might be right-wing, but I'm fair! (...hey and balanced, that would make a good slogan.)

Solomon had way more wives than the Mu man could even dream about. This was the wisest man who ever lived, who wrote repeatedly in Proverbs things like; the eye of man is never satisfied, and staying away from the 'strange' woman.

Gee, I make it sound like Solomon was a sinner just like you and me. (and the Mu man!)

mr_right_wing 4 years, 7 months ago

Sorry...the above was a response to the post of 'senegal66025'; and as a side note, Solomons wives were all of age I believe.

Now to BETRICE. I know you probably rate The Bible below Mother Gooses Nursery Rhymes (but I'm not trying to put words in your mouth.) The Bible says that Noah preached for 100 years (people lived considerably longer back then, try and restrain the giggles) that the flood was coming and that the only 'salvation' was on his arc, and anyone could board, but after the Lord shut the door.....well....to put it in today's terms; "game over."

I wonder why you are even bringing this up? I'm pretty confident you don't believe in the worldwide flood of judgement. Judgement is coming again according to the Bible, not a flood this time though; and there is an even easier way to avoid it..................................

I'll stop there; people will get annoyed with me; just like they did with Noah before the rain.