Archive for Monday, September 13, 2010

Police arrest two suspects after brief chase

South Junior High and Broken Arrow Elementary went into lockdown Monday after a car chase ended near 27th and Louisiana streets and the occupants fled on foot.

September 13, 2010, 1:13 p.m. Updated September 13, 2010, 1:13 p.m.

27th and Louisiana

Police arrested two men just after 11:30 a.m. Monday following a brief chase near 27th and Louisiana streets.

During an undercover car stop, the two men, driving a silver Pontiac Grand Prix, fled the scene and police pursued, Sgt. Kirk Fultz said.

The car then stopped in the 2600 block of Louisiana, and the men fled on foot, but were arrested shortly afterward. The 36-year-old from Independence, Kan., and 38-year-old from Wichita were booked into the Douglas County Jail.

The incident occurred near Broken Arrow School and South Junior High School, which were on lockdown until police notified school officials the suspects had been arrested.

About a dozen police officers and several police dogs canvassed the area for about an hour.

Fultz said he could not release further details about the traffic stop or the suspects.

“At this point, the investigation is just continuing,” he said.

Brian McCaffrey, principal at Broken Arrow, said he was pleased with the quick police action as well as with the staff response to the incident.

“I applaud the Lawrence Police Department,” he said. “I applaud my teachers for doing a great job keeping the students calm.”

Comments

hawks04 4 years, 3 months ago

A suspect for what? Just any suspect?

wmathews 4 years, 3 months ago

Currently, this is all the information we have. As the chase presented a public safety issue, we posted the facts available. We'll update the story as it develops.

Whitney Mathews Online Editor

ryknow1976 4 years, 3 months ago

He's suspected of being suspect, which would make him a suspect. I suspect that's as near to the truth as we'll get.

Prof_of_HARDNOX 4 years, 3 months ago

i'm just hopin that those suspects weren't decoys and the rest of the ne'erdowells were robbing 3 or 4 banks 'cross town. swat i'm hopin

he_who_knows_all 4 years, 3 months ago

And yet you two continue to come here for your news....You also have taken the time to create an account and post here anonymously. If I was the ljworld I'd ban you....be glad I'm not.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 3 months ago

and 45 minutes after the Topeka Capital Journal and the Kansas City Star have already posted the story.

bluedandelion 4 years, 3 months ago

I was sitting in my car waiting for a funeral procession coming out of 25th street onto Louisiana. I heard sirens, looked in my rear view mirror and saw a car barrel down 27th. It crashes into the curb across Louisiana and two people got out and ran in different directions. Lots of cruisers arrived from all directions. Very Exciting.

ryknow1976 4 years, 3 months ago

So two people got out and ran, but only one of them is a suspect? Awesome. I'm willing to take those odds next time I'm out with a friend.

ryknow1976 4 years, 3 months ago

ryknow1976 4 years, 3 months ago

Lew Perkins couldn't run an athletic department, let alone run away.

kernal 4 years, 3 months ago

"... undercover car stop ..." La clef, la clef!

puddleglum 4 years, 3 months ago

Topekans?

when are we going to start a toll gate for all entry into our western county border? shawnee county needs to pay up for all of their "citizens' " exploits in douglas county...send them a bill, please.

easyliving 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm pretty sure the article said something about "Townies" If not, it should be updated:

"Police arrest two Townies after brief chase"

independant1 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm still trying to account for my cuzins. Will update later too.

budwhysir 4 years, 3 months ago

I believe the suspect was suspected of being suspicious. At first I did not suspect that such a suspicious person could be a suspect in such an unsuspected occurance.then I noticed a suspicious action caused by a suspicious looking suspect causing me to be suspicious

misseve 4 years, 3 months ago

Was the accident caused by the cops or were the cops called because of the accident? My son's school was in lock-down because of this and the note home was about as clear as mud just like this article...

shaunepec 4 years, 3 months ago

misseve, To my knowledge, and what the police told me, there wasn't really an "accident." Sounds like the under cover car stopped the suspects in question. During the stop, the suspects drove off. A chase ensued. The suspect car then rode on a curb on Louisiana, and the suspects fled. I would imagine, for the sake of brevity and because of the chase, police may have termed the event an accident when talking with school officials, but I don't know for sure. Hope that helps.

Shaun Hittle LJW Reporter