Archive for Friday, September 10, 2010

Flyover planned before Saturday’s KU-Georgia Tech game

September 10, 2010

The Kansas Air National Guard is scheduled to perform a flyover at Memorial Stadium before Saturday’s Kansas University football game.

The flyover is scheduled to occur shortly before the 11 a.m. kickoff, when KU plays Georgia Tech.

It is part of a pre-game tribute to the heroes of Sept. 11, 2001. The Kansas Air National Guard 190th Air Refueling Wing will make the flyover in a KC-135 tanker.

No practice runs are scheduled.

Comments

propellerhead 3 years, 10 months ago

Will the tanker be empty...like the KU football team's tank?

hail2oldku 3 years, 10 months ago

bada - bing

Will you be here all week? I'll be sure to tip the waitress.

KU_cynic 3 years, 10 months ago

Maybe if they'd strafe the Tech sideline KU could win!

LogicMan 3 years, 10 months ago

Well, that's not very friendly.

But if I saw this coming, I'd seek cover: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed...

clovis_sangrail 3 years, 10 months ago

But we're not getting that. We're getting this aging KC-135 Sky Pig -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KC-135.

sandrat 3 years, 10 months ago

I know this is a show of patriotism to have these flyovers, but I wonder how much they cost? Do they organize these events as part of planned flights -- flying from Topeka to some other base, buzzing a few stadiums along the way -- or is it a special event where the planes take off, buzz the stadium and land without doing anything "productive"?

Of course, 9/11 is a special day to commemorate, but they seem to do it fairly frequently on game-days that do not coincide with national holidays or significant dates.

Daniel Kennamore 3 years, 10 months ago

Military pilots are required to fly a certain number of hours to keep their flight status...so these flights were already going to happen whether they buzz the stadium or not.

sandrat 3 years, 10 months ago

dannylandulf & vertigo: thanks for the logical and non-snarky answer. That makes perfect sense.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank you. I wondered the same thing. Our government, state and federal, is so broke we are counting pennies. I, too, appreciate an answer that is logical, informative and not snarky.

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 10 months ago

Too bad no one will be at the game to see it...

fan4kufootball 3 years, 10 months ago

I'll be there as well. Calling all KU football fans to come out and support our team - win or lose!

emaw 3 years, 10 months ago

Keep calling......no one's answering!

jhwk02 3 years, 10 months ago

Ricky youre "just a bit outside" on this one. We are all frustrated, but let's not make it worse by having an empty stadium. We all wanted so badly to stay in a power conference, lets act like we belong ! Not showing up.....weak.

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 10 months ago

You guys need a sense of humor. Can't you take a joke?

gsxr600 3 years, 10 months ago

Strong username to post ratio

somedude20 3 years, 10 months ago

maybe if you burn KU's playbook they might have a fighting chance

nobody1793 3 years, 10 months ago

Apparently I-70 is now the highway to the danger zone.

emaw 3 years, 10 months ago

My bet is the jets flying over won't be moving as fast as Tech's offense moves the ball down the field on the hawks!

BruceWayne 3 years, 10 months ago

keep talkin trash...you're really just banging your head against a bridge here.

fabian_zimbabwe 3 years, 10 months ago

Yep, I'm proud to say that I've never stooped so low as to troll message boards in Manhattan nor in Columbia. Never have, never will. I guess I'm a little too mature for such sophomoric behavior.

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure you enjoy the smell of your own farts too...

BorderRuffian 3 years, 10 months ago

Now I have heard it said, and I believe it to be true - the aircraft is really a Good Year blimp that has been repainted with "Mangino" on both sides.

Just what I heard...

Brandon Devlin 3 years, 10 months ago

Haha. . .I'd actually like to see Mark parachute into the stadium. Now THAT would be a sight!

bad_dog 3 years, 10 months ago

"...and ass. coaches with him."

Did you mean overstuffed couches or horse drawn coaches?

BruceWayne 3 years, 10 months ago

is Lew jumping? Let Coach Fambrough pack his chute!

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 10 months ago

Wasn't Larry the Cable Guy in that movie? Operation Dumbo Drop right?

Bud Stagg 3 years, 10 months ago

Last week was just decoy so as to not give GT any of our "secrets"... We so have a much better chance to win tommorrow...NOT!

Any bets on total yards? I bet we don't crack 100. We might play decent defense, not good or great, just decent. But I will be there to cheer for the good plays and boo the bad ones and I'm packin some extra adult beverages.

gphawk89 3 years, 10 months ago

A KC-135. Pretty weak... How about instead something like a trio of B-1's in full afterburner. That would cause a bit of excitement. And maybe break a few windows...

gphawk89 3 years, 10 months ago

Not that I have anything against the KC-135. Great tankers that have been around forever. My uncle spend decades flying in them as an IP. But just not my idea of an ideal "flyover" aircraft.

Boosh 3 years, 10 months ago

Saw a 135 eat a bird once....pretty orange flames

Brandon Devlin 3 years, 10 months ago

I can hear the complaints coming in now. . .

Clark Coan 3 years, 10 months ago

It's all p.r. for what Ike termed the "Military-Industrial Complex".

tyson travis 3 years, 10 months ago

I think the ANG has tankers at Forbes, there may be another unit at McConnell in Wichita. When several aircraft are scheduled for training the same day, they don't just "bore holes," they usually practice instrument approaches and landings, and if all of them stay at home base, the traffic pattern gets saturated and everyonne gets fewer tng. events, so they usually disperse to nearby bases, maybe throwing in an X-C nav leg, or at least having the instructor talk systems while enroute. It wouldn't be that much out of the way to have a KC-135 do a flyover while enroute to someplace else to do training, probably only takes 10 minutes or so from Forbes. The KC-135 does seem kind of anemic for a flyover, I remember a few years ago when a B-1 made two passes, with the wings extended and then retracted. and it was wonderful! BTW, don't look for any strafing from a KC-135, they only pass gas. They could also be enroute to a mil tng. area to practice refuelings with other ANG fighters. Not much time lost, good thing to remember our armed forces on 9/11. Ty Travis, Ark, LtCol/ USAF(ret)