Archive for Friday, September 10, 2010

Flyover planned before Saturday’s KU-Georgia Tech game

September 10, 2010

The Kansas Air National Guard is scheduled to perform a flyover at Memorial Stadium before Saturday’s Kansas University football game.

The flyover is scheduled to occur shortly before the 11 a.m. kickoff, when KU plays Georgia Tech.

It is part of a pre-game tribute to the heroes of Sept. 11, 2001. The Kansas Air National Guard 190th Air Refueling Wing will make the flyover in a KC-135 tanker.

No practice runs are scheduled.

Comments

jazzttt 3 years, 7 months ago

I think the ANG has tankers at Forbes, there may be another unit at McConnell in Wichita. When several aircraft are scheduled for training the same day, they don't just "bore holes," they usually practice instrument approaches and landings, and if all of them stay at home base, the traffic pattern gets saturated and everyonne gets fewer tng. events, so they usually disperse to nearby bases, maybe throwing in an X-C nav leg, or at least having the instructor talk systems while enroute. It wouldn't be that much out of the way to have a KC-135 do a flyover while enroute to someplace else to do training, probably only takes 10 minutes or so from Forbes. The KC-135 does seem kind of anemic for a flyover, I remember a few years ago when a B-1 made two passes, with the wings extended and then retracted. and it was wonderful! BTW, don't look for any strafing from a KC-135, they only pass gas. They could also be enroute to a mil tng. area to practice refuelings with other ANG fighters. Not much time lost, good thing to remember our armed forces on 9/11. Ty Travis, Ark, LtCol/ USAF(ret)

thuja 3 years, 7 months ago

Flying fish flying over gliding like birds.

toe 3 years, 7 months ago

Unneeded contribution to global warming. Shameful.

Turbin_Cowboy 3 years, 7 months ago

I bet a miraculous flyover by a flock of geese in formation will occur, as it did at the "Restoring Honor" event on 8/28, just before kick off.

Clark Coan 3 years, 7 months ago

It's all p.r. for what Ike termed the "Military-Industrial Complex".

arcanethought 3 years, 7 months ago

I would rather watch my ant farm. They don't really grow anything though.

gphawk89 3 years, 7 months ago

A KC-135. Pretty weak... How about instead something like a trio of B-1's in full afterburner. That would cause a bit of excitement. And maybe break a few windows...

Bud Stagg 3 years, 7 months ago

Last week was just decoy so as to not give GT any of our "secrets"... We so have a much better chance to win tommorrow...NOT!

Any bets on total yards? I bet we don't crack 100. We might play decent defense, not good or great, just decent. But I will be there to cheer for the good plays and boo the bad ones and I'm packin some extra adult beverages.

Brandon Devlin 3 years, 7 months ago

Haha. . .I'd actually like to see Mark parachute into the stadium. Now THAT would be a sight!

autie 3 years, 7 months ago

So Bootstrap Gill is going to pop smoke and call in an airstrike before the game even starts?

BorderRuffian 3 years, 7 months ago

Now I have heard it said, and I believe it to be true - the aircraft is really a Good Year blimp that has been repainted with "Mangino" on both sides.

Just what I heard...

fabian_zimbabwe 3 years, 7 months ago

Yep, I'm proud to say that I've never stooped so low as to troll message boards in Manhattan nor in Columbia. Never have, never will. I guess I'm a little too mature for such sophomoric behavior.

emaw 3 years, 7 months ago

My bet is the jets flying over won't be moving as fast as Tech's offense moves the ball down the field on the hawks!

nobody1793 3 years, 7 months ago

Apparently I-70 is now the highway to the danger zone.

jihadist 3 years, 7 months ago

I'd rather see some Koran's burned.

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 7 months ago

Too bad no one will be at the game to see it...

sandrat 3 years, 7 months ago

I know this is a show of patriotism to have these flyovers, but I wonder how much they cost? Do they organize these events as part of planned flights -- flying from Topeka to some other base, buzzing a few stadiums along the way -- or is it a special event where the planes take off, buzz the stadium and land without doing anything "productive"?

Of course, 9/11 is a special day to commemorate, but they seem to do it fairly frequently on game-days that do not coincide with national holidays or significant dates.

KU_cynic 3 years, 7 months ago

Maybe if they'd strafe the Tech sideline KU could win!

propellerhead 3 years, 7 months ago

Will the tanker be empty...like the KU football team's tank?