Archive for Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cable industry publication gives Sunflower Broadband high marks

September 9, 2010

A leading cable industry magazine has chosen Lawrence-based Sunflower Broadband as its System of the Year.

Editors of Communications Technology cited Sunflower's early adoption of new technology such as wireless Internet service for remote rural areas, the creation of special broadband packages that allow users to stream video without overage charges, and an expansion of its video on demand service.

“We're really proud to win,” said Rod Kutemeier, general manager of Sunflower Broadband. “They really looked at our ability to serve the customer with the latest products and to serve customers in new ways.”

The award marks the third time that Sunflower has been named a top system in a national award competition. In 1988, Sunflower Cablevision was named the system of the year by the Cable ACE Awards, and in 2003 the company was chosen the top operator by CableFax Magazine.

Sunflower serves about 36,000 homes in Lawrence, Tonganoxie, Eudora, Basehor, Piper, Linwood and parts of rural Douglas and Leavenworth counties.

Sunflower Broadband is owned by The World Company, which publishes the Journal-World. In August, The World Company announced a deal to sell Sunflower to Knology of Kansas Inc., part of Georgia-based Knology Inc. Knology is expected to take over operations of Sunflower's cable, Internet and phone services by the end of the year.

Comments

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 7 months ago

The World Co. DOMINATES all media in nearly two counties and nearly has a seat on the city commission. Of course they got the award.

parrothead8 4 years, 7 months ago

What does that have to do with getting an award from a national magazine?

nobody1793 4 years, 7 months ago

Was this before or after they were sold?

LogicMan 4 years, 7 months ago

Congrats, guys! And keep up the good work under the new management company.

Keith 4 years, 7 months ago

Will we continue to see these puff pieces after the sale?

parrothead8 4 years, 7 months ago

Maybe the award doesn't mean much, but I can say that as the 11th cable company I've dealt with in my life, Sunflower has been the best. Decent prices, good picture, and hands down - not even close - best customer service.

The whole "paying per bandwidth" thing is weird, though. Step into the 21st century, please.

parrothead8 4 years, 7 months ago

I hope you never have problems with your service, because that's when you'll find out why AT&T charges less. I've dealt with ten other cable companies in six other states, and Sunflower's prices are as good as or better than most. Before Sunflower, I've NEVER had a cable company where I could talk to a real person when I called (at least not without having to wait 15-20 minutes or longer.) I don't mind paying a few bucks more when I get great customer service, and that goes for any industry.

giveitsomethought 4 years, 7 months ago

I'll give them props for customer service and good internet service. Their price is high and picture quality lacking. That was my experience prior to getting Uverse.

nonbeliverofprint 4 years, 7 months ago

AT&T service is also ALOT slower. I gave that up. I agree their customer service sucks.

Jake Esau 4 years, 7 months ago

Try dealing with Comcast and you'll see why having a company like Sunflower as your cable provider is a good thing. Most cable companies around a years behind Sunflower technology wise.

The paying for bandwidth isn't all that unusual anymore... and there are some companies out there that just flat out shut your access off if you go over bandwidth.

whats_going_on 4 years, 7 months ago

are you kidding me? Sunflower's cable service is HORRID. I had a DVR at one time and that thing quit working at least once a month. It would "fill up" even when it was less than half full, and wouldn't even let me watch regular TV or get my recorded shows back. Sunflower just kept telling me to get a new box. Annoying, and ridiculous. So glad they got bought out.

Kent Fisher 4 years, 7 months ago

Congrat's Sunflower. We are fortunate to have such a cutting edge cable provider in Lawrence. They were the second city in the country to offer broadband service, and continue to lead the way with new technologies.

Sunflower is smart to enforce bandwith caps. I wouldn' t want it any other way...otherwise, you would experience interrupted service when overall bandwith capacity is exceeded. Be careful what you wish for, or you might get it. It will behoove Knology to continue Sunflower's business model. Thanks, and Congrat's again Sunflower!