Archive for Friday, September 3, 2010

Missing Tonganoxie man returns home

Father says 23-year-old had been ‘laying low’ for 3 months

A missing Tonganoxie man returned to his family Friday after being missing for most of the summer. The man returned safely and unharmed.

September 3, 2010, 10:56 a.m. Updated September 3, 2010, 12:21 p.m.

Luke Stevens

Luke Stevens

— It was a phone call that Luke Stevens’ parents had hoped would come.

Danny Stevens and Joyce Stevens lost contact with their 23-year-old son in late May. His truck was found a few days later at Longview Lake near south Kansas City, Mo.

About 10 p.m. Thursday, Danny received a call.

It was Luke, calling from a pay phone in Kansas City, Mo. He asked that his father pick him up. Danny drove to Kansas City and brought his son home.

“Well, it’s great to have him back,” Danny said during a telephone interview Friday. “What do you say? How do you act? They don’t teach anything about this at Lamaze class.”

Luke was last seen May 26 at his Tonganoxie home. His truck was found June 2. At the time, Joyce handed out fliers near the lake with information about Luke and asked for assistance in finding him through a blog and Facebook. Tonganoxie police investigated Luke’s disappearance as a missing persons case.

“It’s not the outcome I expected at all, but I am so happy about it,” Joyce said. “I was just really surprised and started crying.”

Back at home, Luke was resting Friday. Danny said Luke “just had been laying low” since leaving home in late May.

“He hadn’t really been anywhere or with anyone,” Danny said. “He just needed some time type-of-thing.”

Danny didn’t discuss particulars of Luke’s absence, but said “it’s going to take a period of adjustment” now that he has returned home.

Tonganoxie police Sgt. Russell Moore said Friday the department hadn’t contacted the family about interviews, but police were notified that Luke had returned home.

“Obviously we’re thankful that he turned up,” Moore said.

Danny commended the department’s work.

“They all did a great job with the search,” Danny said. “They did all they could to assist.”

Comments

Practicality 4 years, 1 month ago

Maybe he was looking for the Turtle and didn't know that it had been found?

geekyhost 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh, thank goodness! His family thought he was dead. I'm so glad it wasn't the case.

Perly 4 years, 1 month ago

This is really great news!

4everahawk 4 years, 1 month ago

This is good news. Has anyone heard an update on the man in the KC area that was discovered after missing for about a month in that park area...the one whose daughter was going to be married and postponed the wedding?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 1 month ago

Deja Coffin 4 years, 1 month ago

Why should he go to jail? I'm sorry his family worried about him but isn't it his right to just get up and walk away from life if he wants to? I mean, I am so happy he came back to ease his families worries but he can do as he pleases. My own birth father just got up and walked out on his family, children, and friends over 14 years ago. I went years not knowing if he was alive or dead. He just recently contacted me through email a couple years ago. While I wish so bad he would realize what he did to his family, I don't think he deserves a jail sentence for leaving........ now the not paying child support, that's a different thought.

jystevens 4 years, 1 month ago

My son is not a lowlife. He has not done anything for which he needs to be put in jail. We are very, very glad to have him back home.

FarneyMac 4 years, 1 month ago

Joyce,

Congratulations on getting your son back. I don't know you or him or the situation, but it's an all-too-rare happy ending to this saga. I just hope that everything is OK and if your son needs any help or counseling, that he gets it and works through whatever issues he may have been facing. Not a value judgment by any means.

Alia Ahmed 4 years, 1 month ago

Joyce, I am so happy to hear your son is home and that the heartache of not knowing is over.

riverdrifter 4 years, 1 month ago

Bromidumbsis, Everybody has the right to go away -including you. Just do it.

Cynthia Schott 4 years, 1 month ago

Sometimes you just need time away. He's back. I'm glad. Nothing more needs to be said. It's not our business.

Thanks for coming home, Luke.

tomcats 4 years, 1 month ago

This is a happy ending. I hope this young man and his family can do some healing and move on with life!!!! Best of luck.

Ray March 4 years, 1 month ago

drewnon 4 years, 1 month ago

I know Luke, and I doubt that.

Cynthia Schott 4 years, 1 month ago

Some of you need to show a little respect and privacy for the family.

Confrontation 4 years, 1 month ago

Obviously, this isn't important to the LJWorld, or they'd disable comments on these stories. Also, the family shouldn't be reading these comments if they don't want to be offended. It's the LJWorld's style.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 1 month ago

No it is not the "LJWorld's style" It is individual " style" and there is no style in many of the above comments.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Time for some of you to find something more constructive to do with your three day week-end and Enjoy it!

Cynthia Schott 4 years, 1 month ago

Or the Randy Leach story:

www.randyleach.com

twen 4 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations and Best wishes to Luke's family. Luke...in the event you may read this, please know that I'm happy you are safe and that you will always have a special place in our hearts. Your presence during our uncertain times was greatly appreciated and we wish for you all the best!! Twen