Archive for Thursday, September 2, 2010

Shortage of donations forces Salvation Army to close food pantry

September 2, 2010

Just as Gov. Mark Parkinson calls attention to the state’s hunger problems, the Salvation Army in Lawrence has closed its food pantry because of a lack of food donations.

“We’re not really able to help the people that need help at the moment,” said Wes Dalberg, the Salvation Army’s corps officer.

Dalberg said the pantry has been closed for about a week. A single container of peanut butter sat this week in a cupboard that usually would be full. Other cabinets in the basement of the agency on New Hampshire Street were mostly empty.

“We’ve not had enough food that we could make a decent food bag for anybody,” Dalberg said.

Dalberg said more people are relying on the Salvation Army; it’s had a 5 percent increase in visitors over the past year.

Although those in need can no longer pick up bags of food from the Salvation Army for their family, they can still come to the building to receive free meals.

Diana Brauer, the Salvation Army’s food services director, said she serves meals for up to 125 people per dinner.

“All too often free food is not the best food for them; we try to serve a well-balanced meal,” Brauer said.

Dalberg said the pantry will remain closed until the Salvation Army receives more donations. Other food pantries in the Lawrence area are open, including Just Food, 1200 E. 11th St.

Nonperishable food donations can be brought to the Salvation Army, 946 N.H.

Comments

kansasmutt 4 years, 3 months ago

Ask the corp food stores to help. Hy Vee , Dillons Target , Wal Mart They are recording record sales this year. People dont eat out now due to the cost and smoking ban.

Cody Ochs 4 years, 3 months ago

That parenthetical statement was really rude and somewhat redundant.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 3 months ago

Considering the fact that no other community with a smoking ban has actually recorded a customer loss 1 year out, and it is only a false sound bite invented by the tobacco lobby, how do you justify your statement?

I do agree eating own has gone down, but I challenge you to prove your statement that it is down any more than communities without smoking bans.

You can't because the data does not support your statement.

kernal 4 years, 3 months ago

I was totally unaware there are multiple food banks in Lawrence! Just how many are there and why have they not been consolidated into one?

Amy Heeter 4 years, 3 months ago

Not sure they can or will consolidate. Many churches have pantries. At one point a large number of the churches consolidated with Heartland behind the mall, but I think that may have changed. When ECKAN opened Just Food I think I read that some churches were taking donations there. They also have something going on with Harvesters as well. Many of the larger churches still have pantries that are open at specific times and days. Trinity on Vermont still has a pantry and they used to have a breakfast program. There is a chruch on Kasold where I have seen a banner that advertises a pantry. There is a program that distribute one time monthly at the fairgrounds but I have no idea who runs that one. I think the lack of transportation for those in need may have something to do with the spread of panties. If they cannot get to a central location it may mean they don't have a chance to take advange of pantry services. For instance the Senior Center and Edgewood have some programs for those who are homebound. I think monthly commodities are distributed from both too. Also I heard a couple of them are open on Saturdays for those who work but need a little to fill in. Some are government funded whole others are religion based. I don't believe those could merge without a conflict.

think_about_it 4 years, 3 months ago

Sorry Salvation Army. All of our expendable cash (if we have any) is going to the higher taxes being rammed down our throats. Big Government always did know best how to spend our money.

chocolateplease 4 years, 3 months ago

With so many choices, how should people decide where to bring their donations to?

anneht 4 years, 3 months ago

hose of us who are able to buy our groceries MUST step up to the plate and support the various food pantries in town - when, ever, before, has Salvation Army been unable to help the people who need it most? Perhaps Harvesters, out of Kansas City, has this program, but recently I have heard of a program in the state of Michigan which collects only food which would normally be thrown away because of the laws (fast food places, bakeries, restaurants, caterers, etc. ec. are required to dump perfectly good food when it is a few hours old sometimes!), and this program, called called "Forgotten Harvests" last year served 9 million pounds of food to children! This all takes work, and organization - meantime, most of us can afford to donate some staples weekly to whatever pantry is closest to us..... who knows, you might need to take advantage of this on the other end some day! Let's be generous!

mr_right_wing 4 years, 3 months ago

I've pretty much worked with all the non-profits around town, and there are two that stick out above the rest that I completely trust; The Lions Clubs and The Salvation Army.

(Sorry Douglas County Red Cross, you're down in the bottom 25%.)

Kash_Encarri 4 years, 3 months ago

I've got throw the United Way into that bottom25% myself. Just crazy to read their 990s and see that 25% of collections goes to something other than providing assistance to those people it was intended to help.

I prefer to give directly to the organizations of my choice, some of whom are United Way agencies.

kernal 4 years, 3 months ago

Wish I had known the Salvation Army was having problems; I'm not psychic. They have done so much for people for over a century, especially during the Great Depression. I guess I missed any stories in LJW about this beforehand. I think part of the problem is there have been other situations the past year where donations were desparately needed; first it was Haiti then other catastrophes.

The squeaky wheel is the one that gets greased. The Salvation Army didn't squeak loud enough, or I just didn't hear it.