Archive for Thursday, September 2, 2010

Man arrested after hitting man with paint can

September 2, 2010

A 33-year-old transient man was arrested Wednesday on charges stemming from an incident that occurred Tuesday.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Dave Hubbel, the man had been out in the 700 block of Massachusetts Street huffing paint when he became involved in a physical altercation with another man. Hubbel said the suspect hit the man in the face with the paint can, breaking his nose. The suspect was booked into the Douglas County Jail about 3:25 p.m. Wednesday on charges of aggravated and simple battery.

Comments

Matthew Del Vecchio 4 years, 3 months ago

Huffing paint, on Mass, at 3 in the afternoon,....classy.

kernal 4 years, 3 months ago

When I saw this yellow jounalism headline, I also mistakenly assumed it was a regular gallon paint can. I have never ever considered an aerosol can to be the same as a "paint can." What is with journalism these days, is it a latent desire to work in England, the land of sensationlism jounalism?

Liberty275 4 years, 3 months ago

And will their be an multi-year investigation into whether it was stolen if it was?

Grundoon Luna 4 years, 3 months ago

Hyperbolic much? It's their forum and their rules. You may not have heard of this before but it's called a "user agreement" and you agreed to their terms when you signed up to post on this forum. You want freedom on speech put up your own damn website. Or is it you want your freedome of speech on someone else's dime. Can someone get Con some cheese to go with his whine.

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

I see a pale pedestrian and I want to paint him black aint going to huff this paint after I hit him in the nose I see the working men walk dressed in their working clothes I will still huff my paint while you nurse your broken nose

Liberty275 4 years, 3 months ago

Shouldn't spray paint be made a controlled substance now? At least gold and silver! Won't someone think of the children and the guys with broken noses?

Anyway, I'd just like to point out that after smoking a marijuana cigarette, you can hit someone on the nose with your stash and it won't break their nose. Then again, you can't break someones nose (from the outside) with cocaine; however you can knock out your own teeth with meth.

Dear leaders, do your job. Legalize all activities involving what people do with their own bodies so they will quit doing outrageously stupid things like huffing paint because it's all they can get and instead only do dumb stuff like dropping pharmaceutical-grade acid and using marijuana with vaporizers.

notajayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

"Man arrested after hitting man with paint can"

I hope we're not talking about the same man, man.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 3 months ago

spray paint should be banned immediately! We've all seen the consequences of spray paint and the cost it has on our community. From huffers to graffiti, not to mention the depletion of our ozone; this chemical of destruction is a scourge on our society.

notajayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

People huff freon, gasoline, and any number of other substances that are destructive in one way or another to themselves and/or the environment. Do we ban it all?

Stuart Evans 4 years, 3 months ago

we might as well. people like you don't have a problem banning other substances which you don't fully understand.

notajayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

I defer to your expertise on all things huffed. They seem to have done wonders for you.

jonas_opines 4 years, 3 months ago

I think your sarcasmometer might need adjusting, manman.

notajayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Spray cans don't paint people, people paint people.

garyr 4 years, 3 months ago

If this guy was a "real huffer", he'd be huffing the computer cleaner stuff. That stuff really messes you up. This gent must be an amatuer huffer. Give you fellow huffers / transients someone to look up to and move from huffing paint to huffing computer clearner my man! That's really where it's at!!

greenworld 4 years, 3 months ago

Why would he hit this guy, thats terrible, the guy was just trying to get high in good ole downtown Lawrence. I wonder if he was one of those that is always downtown with their sign and hand out...I need money....what a joke

Steve Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone know what color the paint was ?

whats_going_on 4 years, 3 months ago

there are no words, except maybe "wtf" and a slight snickering.

igby 4 years, 3 months ago

It use to be called "hacking", but the geeks took that term to a new low. It was quite a fad in the 1970's during the "silver sparvar invasion". However, no decent "hacker", would waste good paint on a concrete wall. Lol.

alm77 4 years, 3 months ago

Did the huffer get hit, or did the huffer hit? I think a posting of the mugshot may be in order.

booyalab 4 years, 3 months ago

Maybe the suspect was efforting some public art.

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like someone got all huffy about something.