City commissioners may partially lift a prohibition on oversized pedicabs traveling on Massachusetts Street. Commissioners will meet at 5:45 p.m., instead of their normal 6:35 p.m. time, because several commissioners want to watch election returns.
Lawrence businessman Luke Stone currently operates a 16-person, pedal-powered trolley car-like device in parts of downtown. But the vehicle currently is banned from Massachusetts Street because of concerns that it would not be able to travel at a high enough speed. But upon further testing, Stone says that the vehicle can travel about 15 miles per hour downhill. City staff members have confirmed that and are recommending that Stone be allowed to travel on Massachusetts Street in a downhill direction. Uphill travel still would be restricted to side streets.
• Receive minutes from boards and commissions.
• Approve claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the city clerk’s office.
• Bid and purchase items:
a. Set a bid date of Nov. 23 for sanitary sewer main replacement for: 1100 block of Delaware Street, 1500 block New Hampshire Street and 700 block of Michigan Street.
b. Approve change order to A.B. Bradley Construction for $12,257.72 for the Carnegie restoration project. Funding will come from the guest tax reserve fund and capital improvement reserve fund.
c. Award bid for Carnegie building window replacement/repair to AB Bradley for $44,700. Funding will come from the guest tax reserve fund and capital improvement reserve fund.
d. Award bid for the Master Street Tree Program for the Parks and Recreation Department to Shawnee Mission Tree Service for $38,480.
e. Award bid for one trailer-mounted generator for the utility department to Logan Contractors Supply for $30,700.
f. Approve change order to R.D. Johnson Excavating Co. Inc. for $76,360.71 for 2010 Concrete Rehabilitation Program.
f. Waive bidding requirements and approve the sole source purchase of extrication equipment for Fire Medical department from Conrad Fire Equipment for $16,451.33.
h. Approve change order to Vance Brothers Inc. for $288,878.07 for 2010 Microsurfacing Program.
i. Authorize purchase of new fitness and weight equipment for the Community Building from the 2010 State of Kansas joint purchasing agreement, up to $25,000.
• Adopt ordinances on second and final reading. adopting:
a. The International Fire Code, 2009 Edition.
b. By reference an amended Chapter V, Article 1 of the City Code, the International Building Code, 2009 Edition, the International Fuel Gas Code, 2009 Edition, the International Energy Conservation Code, 2009 Edition, and the International Existing Building Code, 2009 Edition.
c. The International Residential Code, 2009 Edition.
d. The International Plumbing Code, 2009 Edition.
e. The International Mechanical Code, 2009 Edition.
• Approve extension requests to these previously approved items. Submitted by Allen Belot, property owner of record:
a. Retroactive two-year extension for the Prairie Wind Final Development Plan, FDP-08-05-06, for 17 dwelling units on 2.59 acres for a density of 6.56 units/acre, to extend the approval period to March 25.
b. Retroactive two-year extension for the Prairie Wind Final Plat, PF-08-22-06, a one-lot subdivision approved by the Planning Commission on Sept. 25, 2006, to extend the approval period to April 10.
• Authorize staff to direct BG Consultants to complete bid documents for airport area sanitary sewer improvements to include only the gravity collections system and septage holding well with aeration and odor control, and deferring construction of the forcemain.
• Receive third-quarter report for Bert Nash outreach program.
• Concur with the city clerk’s recommendation to allow travel by Luke Stone’s oversized pedicab on downhill portions of Massachusetts Street downtown.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Consider adopting Resolution No. 6908, supporting the Take Charge Challenge, and consider authorizing the mayor to sign the memorandum of understanding with the Climate and Energy Project.