Letters to the Editor

Valued resource

October 29, 2010

To the editor:

When my family moved to Lawrence in 1977, the recently completed public library was often referred to with civic pride as an illustration of the commitment and interest in education of this city of 40,000. Lawrence is now a city of approximately 90,000, and the proposal for an additional 20,000 square feet of library space will greatly enhance, improve and update this valued community resource.

With 70 percent of Lawrence residents now holding library cards and a greatly increased circulation (128 percent in the last ten years), the library renovation will provide, among other things, an expanded children’s book room and classroom space, additional computers, meeting rooms, a drive-up book drop and service window and additional parking.

Many people have their own “wish list” for library service improvements, expansion and location. However, a committee composed of community representatives and library personnel have interviewed community groups and residents to determine the need for library improvements. From their study, the committee recommended the current plan as the most efficient and economical means of meeting these needs. I trust and accept their judgment and urge your support of the plan as well.

With the passage of the referendum, Lawrence can continue to demonstrate its interest in providing quality educational opportunities for all citizens. Please vote “yes” on the city of Lawrence Question No. 1.

Mary Kate Ambler,

Lawrence

Comments

ignati5 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, a very good and timely letter. Bill

justforfun 4 years, 9 months ago

Pull your head out of your book!! Timing is bad, idea is worse!!! Vote NO!!!!!

John Hamm 4 years, 9 months ago

Too expensive for the gain. No for me.

grammaddy 4 years, 9 months ago

'YES!' for the library expansion. "YES!" for anything having to do with education. It's the only way out of poverty.

booyalab 4 years, 9 months ago

So all a politician has to do to get your money is tell you, vaguely, "uuhh, it's got something to do with education."

kernal 4 years, 9 months ago

Mary Kate, thank you for your generous $100,000 pledge for the construction of this new library since the majority of Lawrencians cannot afford the necessary tax increase for this endeavor and the other necessities of our fair town in these rough economic times.

Hopefully, in seven to eight years there will be light at the end of the tunnel and the plan can be and updated at that time.

Are any of you aware that if you want a book that our local library does not have, they can "borrow" the book from another library for you?

somedude20 4 years, 9 months ago

ughhhh, I think I am going to hurl....noooooooooooooooooo

mr_right_wing 4 years, 9 months ago

If this passes the library (attn: Bruce Flanders) will receive an envelope (with name and my return address...not "anonymous") with a shredded library card in it.

Just me doing that can be dismissed....but if a significant number of us do it.......that's harder to ignore.

(I was originally thinking of sending the ashes of a burned library card; but any kind of 'powder' in the mail has the potential to become an incident.).

jafs 4 years, 9 months ago

What possible effect do you think that would have?

If enough people want to do that, they can simply do it now, possibly reducing/eliminating the need for an expansion.

Abdu Omar 4 years, 9 months ago

I was a teacher and used the library daily when I taught, but since I retired and am in the middle of writing a book, even with all the research, I never use the library. I use my computer. This is the future of education not a library so I see no need to expand.