Archive for Thursday, October 28, 2010

Lawrence police search house in 500 block of Locust

A mobile command center sits in the 500 block of Locust on Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010.

October 28, 2010, 2:07 p.m. Updated October 28, 2010, 4:43 p.m.

500 block of Locust
Officers extract explosive device from house

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, discusses the search of a house in the 500 block of Locust Street. Enlarge video

Lawrence Police and U.S Marshals, with help from Leavenworth County's bomb squad, investigated a home at 512 Locust in north Lawrence, where a man was arrested this morning. Investigators were processing the scene, and said a small explosive device and drug paraphernalia were found. A small robot was used to investigate the scene.

Officers from multiple agencies conducted an investigation Thursday at a home in the 500 block of Locust Street in North Lawrence after a man was arrested there on suspicion of absconding from his parole.

“No one was ever in any danger at all except for the officers inside the house,” said Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman.

Multiple Lawrence police vehicles and a mobile command center converged on the house, 512 Locust St.

Thursday morning, U.S. marshals arrested Joshua Sexton, 26, Leavenworth, at the house. Sexton had been paroled after a 2005 conviction for aggravated indecent liberties with a child in Leavenworth County, but he absconded, according to the Kansas Department of Corrections.

During that arrest, Sarna said, officers believed they saw drug paraphernalia, possible drugs and a small explosive device. So police obtained a search warrant for the house and called in a bomb squad from Leavenworth County as a precaution.

No one was in the home when police entered it to conduct their search, Sarna said. The Douglas County Sheriff’s office also assisted, and Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical vehicles were in the area.

As part of the investigation, the bomb squad used a robot inside the house.

Sarna said because the explosive device did not appear to pose a danger to anyone outside the house no one was evacuated from the area.

He said officers would continue to investigate and collect evidence of possible drugs. He did not specify what type of drugs they could be and said anything collected would need to be tested.

Police did notify administrators at nearby Woodlawn School, 508 Elm St., that officers were in the area, Sarna said.

A representative for the school said authorities informed them Thursday morning that they would be investigating nearby and that students, faculty and staff were in no immediate danger.

But the scene did create some tension for some school parents Thursday afternoon.

“It’s just bad to have that right across from the school,” said Chris Mills, a parent of three Woodlawn children. “I think our police department needs to be more proactive in what they’re doing.”

Comments

ThatFunkySmell 4 years, 1 month ago

Heading over there right now to see what's going on. I'll let you know what I find out. Roger. 10-4. Over and out.

Bobbi Reid 4 years, 1 month ago

Any updates, since this is pretty close to the elementary school?

Bobbi Reid 4 years, 1 month ago

You know your sarcasm is so amusing....would it be different if you had kids that are in the school?

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 1 month ago

I removed this comment because it was grossly inflammatory and inaccurate. For the record, there's no riot gear or snipers.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 1 month ago

Riot gear or snipers? Now I'm imagining scenes from the first Police Academy movie. Get the guy who makes the funny noises to go over and break things up, LOL!

Seriously though, I understand dbrm4ever's concern as a parent.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 1 month ago

Did you actually see them or hear them because maybe it's just Michael Winslow/Lt. Jones making helicopter sounds?

Take_a_letter_Maria 4 years, 1 month ago

Looks like the old Club 508. I wonder what new trouble could be brewing there.

lonelyboy 4 years, 1 month ago

bar is closed down and for good reason.

nlf78 4 years, 1 month ago

It's too close to my daughter's school for comfort!!

Bobbi Reid 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree, both of my kids are in the school too. I guess I will be picking them up at 3 instead of letting them go to the afterschool program

nlf78 4 years, 1 month ago

I just wish they would give us more detail. It's so close to the school, they need to make a statement so the parents are worried! Just tell us what is going on!

nlf78 4 years, 1 month ago

Oops!! Aren't worried...guess I should actually read the "preview".

woodenfleaeater 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to have my kid go outside and give me updates from his cell phone. Also, I hope he takes out his binoculars and tells me what he can see from up close.

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 1 month ago

eeeeeek. near my house! they just arrested some guy on the 700 block of Locust not too long ago for bad stuff too. One of the shops over on Locust was robbed of iron and scrapped. Locust is a bad street now a days.

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 1 month ago

kids in school near there is too scary....

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 1 month ago

thanks for the plague, only you would bring that up

kthxbi 4 years, 1 month ago

I bet the school is in "lock down". The LPD will have called Wood Lawn to let them know what was going on.

Nikki May 4 years, 1 month ago

Granted, I don't have kids there, but if it was my kids' school, I would want them to use the emergency calling thing to tell what's going on. They get out of school in just a few minutes. If it is lockdown, the parents need to know.

kthxbi 4 years, 1 month ago

You're right, I would think they would inform the parents if it was in lock down, but I haven't received any notification.

sandrat83 4 years, 1 month ago

Was there ljworld reported said " meth lab " wow about 300 feet from woodlawn. This would not happen if the cops would spend more time in N LAW. the police say they are understaffed and can't be over here. Well west lawrence has lots of cops running around send a few of them to be over here then our stuff would not be getting stolen and this drug crap would not be going on.

kessman 4 years, 1 month ago

has nothing to do with 508.house to the east.rotten egg smell in area.heard possible explosive or meth lab.

sandrat83 4 years, 1 month ago

Takes a active lab to get lpd in N law. Hope they hire a new chief out side of Lawrence so he or she can clean house at lpd

sandrat83 4 years, 1 month ago

Great a lab and a sex offender. And this close to school and kids.

sandrat83 4 years, 1 month ago

Great a lab and a sex offender. And this close to school and kids.

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 1 month ago

Ballard is on lockdown as well for those of you who are interested

Megan Green Stuke 4 years, 1 month ago

I picked up my kid at 4:25 from Ballard and they were outside playing. No mention was made to me of lockdown or anything of the sort.

I can't decide if this is of legitimate concern or if it's a bunch of inflammatory stuff.

The guy was already gone, right? And this was a search of the premesis for other illegal drugs, etc?

If the bomb squad was seriously there, they should have notified school and parents, and maybe waited until after 5:00 for the search. I'll be interested to hear more about this, as I'm sure the chief will want to respond to all of these concerns. Right, chief?

PS - I live in North Lawrence. We were robbed this year. The trailer park on Walnut is a crime den. There are several houses on Elm that are obviously crack houses. We'd like to move, if and when we can afford it. There is a lot to love about North Lawrence and its people, but I don't feel safe enough anymore to stay, esp. with a young child. Clean it up, and I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Also, for the record, we need a grocery store already!!

I do feel like North Lawrence is under-supervised by the police, particularly given that there are several obviously dangerous pockets.

sandrat83 4 years, 1 month ago

Thats CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ill give u names and phone numbers to 20+ people who have had trailers or cars or things taken from there yards in the last 45 days ! If LPD is over here it is because someone called them.

You must be one of those lazy cops ! I own five business in lawrence and the 2 in N Lawrence seem to be broken into 2 - 3 times each year and the ones in WEST LAW NEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So first hand I know and you can pull LPD PTRL logs and not many officers IN N LAW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 1 month ago

i had my car broken into three weeks ago in N.L. as well. it's getting bad

kthxbi 4 years, 1 month ago

Me too! Well it was more like 6 weeks ago.

idoltalk 4 years, 1 month ago

I understand that you are upset, but you need to take it down a notch. Maybe you should form some type of watch for the area. Being a business owner perhap your substantial clout could also be a benefit to the area.

Kash_Encarri 4 years, 1 month ago

Lots of vehicles are being broken into all around town.

Two yesterday morning in the parking lot at Body Boutique. 5-6 in my neighborhood by Prairie Park, including mine and I live next door to a cop. The primary reason you see more police in west Lawrence is because they are driving from the station on 15th & Wak.

Tammy Copp-Barta 4 years, 1 month ago

You're so wrong .. there are police cars over here all the time. And FYI - if you read the paper at all, things are getting stolen and broken into all over town. Not just over here. And I think YOU need to pull the logs and look ... cause I see cars driving by regularly.

Tammy Copp-Barta 4 years, 1 month ago

Sorry Kash_Encarri - this was in reply to Sandrat83 ... just clicked on the wrong reply to button :(

flyin_squirrel 4 years, 1 month ago

It's because our police department has 4 of the 14 officers working at night doing bar checks for underage college students drinking. Call the police department and complain. They are a complaint driven department and it is the only way to get police back on the street chasing real crimes.

nlf78 4 years, 1 month ago

Sgt. Matt Sarna, Lawrence police spokesman, said during that arrest officers believed they saw drug paraphernalia, possible drugs and a small explosive device. So they obtained a search warrant for the house and called in a bomb squad from the Kansas City area.

I wish they would've said that in the FIRST place!! And that they would have mentioned it the house was unoccupied while this was going on. It would've saved me worry about my child at school, a block away!

sandrat83 4 years, 1 month ago

DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOT 2 KIDS IN THAT SCHOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hawkergirl 4 years, 1 month ago

Aren't schools supposed to error on the side of EXTRA caution in these situations?

idoltalk 4 years, 1 month ago

The police need to kept moving down the block on Locust there are several "suspicious" homes in the area that could use a good sweeping. Oh but wait, it is North Lawrence neighbors can complain all they want but nothing gets done. Those cars coming and going from a few particular homes are just relatives stopping by to say Hi for 30 seconds with the motors running.

Richard Payton 4 years, 1 month ago

KC Star had photo of Joshua Sexton under KCCrime Stoppers mug shots. Photo was #59 of 83 photos but they listed his age as 25 not 26. Either the Star or Journal World listed the age wrong not certain which paper is wrong?

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 1 month ago

Time passes, maybe he had a birthday just like the rest of us do every now and then.

sandrat83 4 years, 1 month ago

http://165.201.143.205/kasper2/offender.asp?id=57569 Link to The guy who was arrested. Ballard locked down not woodlawn??????? And found a small explosive div. Wtf

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 1 month ago

ballard and woodlawn. It states in the article that Woodlawn is locked down. Not that Ballard is, a call made that clear. And yeah, N. Lawrence does have quite a few houses that relatives visit for a matter of minutes and then take off. Seems to be very short visits, multiple times a day. No reason to think of anything other than visitation, leave those houses be.

hawkergirl 4 years, 1 month ago

Where does it state "Woodlawn is locked down?"

idoltalk 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh you must not live in N.L. there are problems everywhere, look this guy was from Leavenworth.

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 1 month ago

my fault, it said they "were informed" and are in no danger, my thought process goes to the logical "lock down" scenario.

sandrat83 4 years, 1 month ago

no woodlawn was NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT LOCKED DOWN AT ALL ! Just picked my kids up an hour ago NO LOCK DOWN AT ALL !

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 1 month ago

they locked the doors at ballard. huh, odd

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

This is the second time this week I've seen a post about theft problems in North Lawrence. Is there no longer a LPD sub-station over there?

I know times are hard, but there are some security systems in town that don't cost a small fortune. I would say it's at least worth checking out as it might cost less than replacing your electronics, tools, etc.

sandrat83 4 years, 1 month ago

I just built a new home in NL this year I HAD A TRAILER STOLEN. WILL THE Sec. Stm stop things like that ? I own 11 real nice rentals houses in NL 14 in WL and only NL homes get broken into or things taken from. I own Comm. Prop NL and WL only once broke into or theft is NL.

COME ON LPD stop writting traffic tickets and do some police WORK !

Tammy Copp-Barta 4 years, 1 month ago

Why don't you sell your property over here then cause maybe you're the one drawing the criminals over here .... just saying ...

thebigspoon 4 years, 1 month ago

LPD sub-station ? Never heard of one in North Lawrence...

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

In Riverfront Mall next door to the Liz Claiborne store. I'm talking ten years ago, or more; not to be confused with the Highway Patrol office.

Richard Payton 4 years, 1 month ago

Thanks sandrat83 for the link!! Joshua Sexton correct age 26 according to KDOC link info. Appears Kansas City Star gets it wrong; yet, the Lawrence Journal World reports the truth!

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

He just had a birthday a few days ago.

alsosickandtired 4 years, 1 month ago

They saw a small explosive device, felt the need to bring a swat team, but told the school no one is in immediate danger?

WHY 4 years, 1 month ago

What are all you crazy people talking about. Your kids are fine. Do you think the police are going to let the guy run around on the playground. Do you think the drugs are going to be handed out after class to first graders.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree WHY. They probably only hand them out to seventh graders and older.

kthxbi 4 years, 1 month ago

I was thinking that if they were busting a meth lab, and there were people in the house, that maybe those people would flee to avoid arrest. And maybe fleeing meth addicts with police chasing them might be dangerous, especially right when school gets out.

sandrat83 4 years, 1 month ago

If you live in NL and think the PD needs to be over here more watching things REPLY to this post !

pagan_idolator 4 years, 1 month ago

gatekeeper 4 years, 1 month ago

Nothing will do any good. They don't care and won't care unless there are a bunch of murders. NL doesn't exist to them. About 4 years ago there was a sherriff living a block from me. I did see some patrols back then. Since he moved, nothing. Neighbors have had things stolen, cops took a report, but still no extra patrols.

Bobbi Reid 4 years, 1 month ago

Woodlawn was not locked down, I just picked my kids up there at 3.

hawkergirl 4 years, 1 month ago

So he/she owes back property taxes, too - NICE!

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Yep. He may want to check with some of the professional landlords in town, who he knows, for some good ideas on that. Or, maybe it's one of those properties that you'll rent to anyone who will live in it and pay rent.

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 1 month ago

he's been trying to sell this property, it's a crap hole anyway butted up to the fence of that club. tear it down, TEAR all of the houses down. it'll solve the problems over in N. Law

idoltalk 4 years, 1 month ago

Not ALL of the problems. Like I said they need to move further down the block. Don't be angry at the houses, it's the people that make bad neighborhoods not the houses. hug.

LadyJ 4 years, 1 month ago

I shudder to think what a house only worth $44,000 must look like. I don't see it on the city's registery of rentals.

somebodynew 4 years, 1 month ago

silversportster05 4 years, 1 month ago

this owner was arrested about a month ago for some kind of drug charges. it was in DGSO

idoltalk 4 years, 1 month ago

It is an older established community with good working people and we have no desire for your kind or the thief’s and criminals that have set up shop and from the sounds of it after dark probably works best for you anywhere you go.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

There are some nice pockets over there and professional people with real jobs; they're not all like the scum in this article.

gatekeeper 4 years, 1 month ago

Please stay away then so I can walk my dog at night and not have to worry about people like you. Most areas are very safe and well kept. There are a few little pockets of scum like the place in this article.

And as Kernal said, there are many professional people like myself and my husband who live there, have nice houses and great neighbors.

But, we do bite and attack those that come over the bridge and don't belong there. We have witches too - watch out!

pagan_idolator 4 years, 1 month ago

Bwah-ha-ha. Come a little closer, dearie....

liberallibrarian 4 years, 1 month ago

"____ is a ghetto. I wouldn't be seen there after dark. " Fill in the blank with ANY Lawrence neighborhood (except maybe New West Lawrence- the JoCo of Lawrence) and it fits. East Lawrence, Downtown, even Old West Lawrence has pockets of crime. When I lived in East Lawrence I had my car broken into numerous times, and once a homeless woman fall asleep on my porch.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

I assume you mean Lawrence since none were registered at the homeless shelter a couple of weeks ago. Although, there have been some off and on over the past few years, including child predators, which is one of the reasons neighbors in SE Lawrence don't want the homeless shelter in their neighborhood.

Monica Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

Am I the only one wondering what the HELL a sex offender is doing living that close to the elementary school?!??!

LadyJ 4 years, 1 month ago

Hate to tell you, it happens all the time.

idoltalk 4 years, 1 month ago

living there b/c he absoconded on his parole. they'll live anywhere if they're running from the law. it's not like he was going to go register his address as a sex offender to live there if he was on the run

think_about_it 4 years, 1 month ago

it's not the lack of police that's responsible for all of the crime in north Lawrence, it's all of the lowlifes that live there.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

There are low lifes living in every area of Lawrence. Some of them just aren't recognizable as low life.

Moderate_Republican 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure it was all illegal aliens and Kris Kobach will fix it.

unkld 4 years, 1 month ago

Some ppl need to quit blaming the police for the problems in NL and take a stand. You have to have a victim for an arrest to be made. Yes there are businesses and home broken into in NL. Unfortunately the same thing is happening in NWL, SWL, SEL and even in the central areas of the city. I listen to the scanner and see the officers that DO patrol the area. If you also listen, you would hear them give various locations in NL. BUT REMEMBER, THEY NEVER ARE IN NORTH LAWRENCE. get a clue ppl

neolib 4 years, 1 month ago

That club depicted was uber-cool back in the mid eighties. Some of the most beautiful Native American women ever. Thank you God.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 1 month ago

---okay Jack Mccoy, what should the PD have done?
shoot the guy on sight?
just get a flame thrower and light up the house?
FGS.

big kudos to all involved! well handled. and afterwards, all in uniform could adjourn to one of the mexican restaurants for refreshments.
welcome to north lawrence.

...

was that really an explosive device?

gilly 4 years, 1 month ago

Amazing all the overreaction in the posts here. No one was hurt or even threatened, and law enforcement officials got to try out their robot.

I live in North Lawrence, I'm not worried for my safety. There are other parts of Lawrence I wouldn't go near.

There is a great mix of people in North Lawrence, and that's one of the things about the neighborhood that makes it a wonderful place to live--it's not the overpriced ticky-tacky clapboard suburban cul-de-sac'd monotony we have in west Lawrence. There are robbers who target those suburbs, too--just read the Journal-World and plot those addresses.

pagan_idolator 4 years, 1 month ago

I lived in North Lawrence for 17 years and now have a business there. I LOVE it over there. The worst part of it was some people believing I must be a piece of crap since I lived in N. Law. Wonderful people live there. The main thing I miss is coming home to discover some gardener has left a basket of veggies on the porch. Had some of the most amazing home grown veggies ever. I also love East Lawrence too so I must be some kind of trash.

gatekeeper 4 years, 1 month ago

What sad is that you leave a comment like that. Pagan is right and we are happy she has her store over here!

Stuart Evans 4 years, 1 month ago

Fear Fear, Scary Scary!! looks like that's what keeps the blood moving in half the people in this town.

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 1 month ago

Most of you that posted freaked out for no reason. The bomb squad was called in as a precaution for the officers in the house. The device thought to be an explosive was nothing that would have exploded beyond the perimeter of the house and there was no offender "on the loose" so there was no reason to alert citizens or parents of children at Woodlawn. That would have been overkill.

If all of you N. Lawrencians believe that additional patrol is needed in your area then contact the LPD and ask for it, with your substantiation. No problem...if there are officers available, I am sure. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not recall the last time a robbery, aggravated assault, or shooting occurred over there. It may become the most desirable place in Lawrence to live pretty soon...

acg 4 years, 1 month ago

Little houses on the hillside, little houses made of ticky-tacky, little houses on the hillside and they all look just the same.....

pagan_idolator 4 years, 1 month ago

Even with police patrol some d!psh!t is going to find a way to pull off something.

TheBigW 4 years, 1 month ago

And they was using up all kinds of cop equipment that they had hanging around the police officer's station. They was taking plaster tire tracks, foot prints, dog smelling prints, and they took twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us.

small_but_mighty 4 years, 1 month ago

Took pictures of the approach, the getaway, the northwest corner the southwest corner and that's not to mention the aerial photography.

LadyJ 4 years, 1 month ago

LOL, I actually have that song, all twenty some minutes, on my Ipod. Played it for my daughter when she was about 16, she loved it.

mdhsmykids 4 years, 1 month ago

pagan_idolator 4 years, 1 month ago

Whoops! Gotta remember I can't post altered spellings of curse words. Hope that was the reason my comment was removed and not because I was whining that LJW never reported my break-in. I PROMISE to be good from now on.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 1 month ago

yes, PBG et al, looked like overreaction to me!

and the 'police need to be more proactive' sort of new age lingo of whineyism.
sorry this is the real world. that guy living two doors down might sit in his mother's basement and pound away at keys on the interwebs saying all kinds of amazing stuff! he might even break the law. maybe he even has political beliefs which offend you! shocking!

authorities did a good job and I do hope while they were there that they stopped in at La Trop or El Mat.

I just hope the perp gets long gone, convicted on all charges, not having punishments concurrent, and gets the book thrown at him, a judg who'll really ... -- oops I fergot! we're in DG county with a floppy weak DA and some weak judges. and DA who likes to waste our tax dollars on political gotcha games.

so, one hopes perp just hits the federal system instead.