Archive for Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lawrence Humane Society seeking donations for dog’s hip replacement surgery

October 27, 2010

Lawrence Humane Society is looking for donations to help pay for a hip replacement for an 8-month-old dog.

Four months ago, a volunteer found Rosco, a dog with big floppy ears and a happy-go-luck personality, out in the county. The young pup had a hip injury and needed surgery.

“He is such a sweet baby. He looks like a hound/beagle mix. He’s very loving and loves everybody and everything: cats, dogs, and people,” said Midge Grinstead, executive director of the Lawrence Humane Society.

The Humane Society has established a special fund to help cover the medical expenses of animals who would otherwise be euthanized. But Grinstead said it would have been irresponsible to use the fund to cover Rosco’s expenses. The surgery will cost $4,000.

So, the humane society is looking for contributions outside its normal circle of support. To contribute, call 843-6835. So far, $3,600 has been raised for Rosco’s surgery, which is set for Nov. 15.

Comments

sunny 3 years, 5 months ago

Sorry...paying to much in Fed taxes....can't donate! You can thank Obomby

Amy Heeter 3 years, 5 months ago

Do you people really think that if the Humane Society could have gotten this done for free that they would be on this board asking for help so you could abuse them? All of your empty suggestions conribute nothing to the welfare of the animal in question. If you don't want to drop your 2 cents into the coffer then shove it somewhere else.

Armored_One 3 years, 5 months ago

Wish I had known about this sooner or I would have already contributed. My family routinely buys dog and cat food, cat litter and blankets and sheets at garage sales and donate them.

I've lived with dogs and cats my entire life and I don't want to imagine any of the ones I have now getting hurt. They are just like my kids, rowdy, rambunctious, loud, obnoxious and beyond affectionate.

Compassion shouldn't be limited, but expanded. I know it would most likely not happen, but it would be nice to watch, or just read about, everyone in town taking a one dollar bill, turning it into four quarters and donating one quarter to the following places:

Domestic violence shelter United Way Slavation Army Humane society

A quarter really doesn't seem like much, but you put 10 or 20 thousand of them together and you suddenly have a pretty nice chunk of change, pun not intended. We are a one income family with 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, car payment and all the rest of the normal bills we all have, but we still donate all over the place.

Been asked why more than once, and always use the same answer.

Because my 6 year old daughter would never forgive me if I didn't try to help.

Mainly that goes for the animal shelter, but it fits the bill on the rest just as easily.

One quarter a month to those 4 causes from just half of Lawrence will go a long way for a lot of people. Maybe we'd all be a bit better off, if only inside. The outside world is ugly enough as it is. No sense mirroring it on the inside, too.

avetaysmom 3 years, 5 months ago

I can see why people would want to donate for a good cause, what I don't understand is why can't the vet who is performing the surgery do it for free? Maybe charge just for medicine, but the surgery could be donated to, idk, sounds like a good idea to me.

ShePrecedes 3 years, 5 months ago

Also go to K-State for that kind of stuff. Surely they are still doing vet work for free there.

ShePrecedes 3 years, 5 months ago

Just make sure it is not a DuPuy hip replacement. There is my donation: advice.

Practicality 3 years, 5 months ago

In Mexico they could do the surgery for $238.

Or,

It might be Free in Canada.

TinkyWinky 3 years, 5 months ago

Eh oh Suckers,

A little PR and folks with their priorities backward will fall all over themselves to donate, much more than the dog will need, and the "nonprofit" animal activist organization will begin its assault on farms and agriculture with the extra cash. Great job...not.

Humane Society of the United States is not an animal welfare organization. When it was taken over some years back by Wayne Pacelle and his fanatical vegans, it became an "animal rights" organization which is vastly different.

It is notorious for misleading consumers by showing "worse case scenarios" and playing it off like that's the norm. Only 1/2 of 1% of HSUS donations actually go directly to animals for their care...all other goes to lobbying efforts or to fatten their own pockets....don't believe, check out their 2008 tax filing! Over 40 execs were paid well over 100K while your local & not related humane societies struggle to keep their shelter open daily. Want to help animals, donate local but first ensure that they are not affiliated with HSUS.

Jeremy DeBoard 3 years, 5 months ago

I didn't see anywhere in the article that the dog has been adopted. Nor does it say on the humane society's website or the link to petfinder for Rosoe. http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17288832

"The Humane Society has established a special fund to help cover the medical expenses of animals who would otherwise be euthanized. But Grinstead said it would have been irresponsible to use the fund to cover Rosco’s expenses."

Meaning if they receive an animal that needs surgery in order to walk (stray dog hit by a car and now has a shattered pelvis) then their special fund would cover that, because otherwise the animal would have to be killed.

There is no mention here, but Rosoe can stand and walk on his own, which makes him ineligible for the special fund money. The hip surgery is to "prevent possible arthritis later in life"; according the the petfinder link provided. Therefore, it's a preventive surgery, not a corrective one.

lawrencenerd 3 years, 5 months ago

How many of you could go down there and meet that dog, pet him, play with him, and then tell him that he doesn't deserve to live? You may not be so quick to judge the worth of his life if you actually met him. They've already raised most of the money they need for him, and need only 400 dollars more to cover his surgery. I'm willing to bet a portion of that was donated by LHS staff themselves. Nobody wants to see a loving animal put down for health reasons that could have been resolved.

It isn't that society values animals more than they do people. The reason these animals are in the situations they are is because many people out there don't value their animals enough, and they end up abused, homeless, or come from otherwise bad situations. Humans are the reason that the shelter exists. If animals didn't come from bad situations and need help, we wouldn't need to have a shelter to help them.

tigerlil42 3 years, 5 months ago

An uncaring human put the dog in this situation where has to have surgery, now other uncaring humans would rather deny the animal surgery & have him put down. have some compassion, the dog didn't cause his problem, just needs some help to get better. HAVE A HEART!!!

kujayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

It's a hell of a lot better than seeing people donate money to some "building fund" for a corrupt church or to some not-for-profit organization that pays it's CEO $500K a year.

Jodi_B 3 years, 5 months ago

People can make money. Dogs can't. I'll donate to the dogs every time.

TinkyWinky 3 years, 5 months ago

So stupid, waste of money, time, resources, etc.

But if people would rather spend money on an animal that will be put down in a couple years anyway and not donate money to homeless shelters, domestic violence centers, salvation army, then go ahead.

autie 3 years, 5 months ago

Roe, I have a hip that appears to be on the way out. If you all could start sending in your dimes and nickels to Whiltey Matthews care of the LJW, maybe in ten or fifteen years we could raise enough get ole autie fixed up...

nonbeliverofprint 3 years, 5 months ago

I am so amazed at all the bad comments on here. This is a human interest story. The people who donate & the puppy will be the ones that benefit from this article. Why would anyone think the LJW staff will benefit.? I shouldn't be shocked at how many narrow minded & selfish people live around here but I am. The animal shelter is looking for help. How else are they supposed to let the public know if they don't advertise it? Like stated in previous comment - if you don't want to donate then don't. For those of us that do care about other living things instead of just ourselves I commend you and thank you. I adopted a dog 2 years ago that was rescued by an animal shelter and I'd do it again. This puppy will make someone very happy and won't necessarily live in a cage the rest of its life.

50YearResident 3 years, 5 months ago

Will the surgery cost be passed on to the new owner like they do with neturing fees? Oh, here is a nice puppy with floppy ears you can adopt for just $4250. He is such a sweetie.....

QuinnSutore 3 years, 5 months ago

TinkyWinky 3 years, 5 months ago

nytemayr 3 years, 5 months ago

ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MINDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmmmm 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't know why people are so offended, they are only asking. The LHS is not soliciting people door to door or waving flyers in your face. If enough money is not raised, the dog will probably be put down and money that was raised will go to help another dog (which will be sad because Rosco is a sweet boy). I commend LHS for setting up a fund for this dog. Most shelters wouldn't give a second thought to euthanizing him. So give the people at the Humane Society a break. It's not easy witnessing the brutality of humans on a daily basis.

Chris Ogle 3 years, 5 months ago

Think about it...... When you come home late, who is glad to see you and who is pissed
A) dog B) wife

fusel 3 years, 5 months ago

Why is the LJW doing PR? This is a pathetic attempt at emotional public relations.

A "dog with big floppy ears and a happy-go-luck personality"? This is cheap. If you wanna spend the money for one dog, fine, but this is a newspaper, not a charity event. Some staff member clearly had a personal agenda going here...

I'd rather save 10 dogs with that money instead of one. And there probably is a good reason why the Humane Society's fund can't spend their money on the dog.

fleeba 3 years, 5 months ago

I saw this pup at Petco over the weekend. He's such a sweetheart and really didn't deserve the treatment that he got before the Human Society found him. I think that it's wonderful that they are doing this for him. He will make someone a very very fine companion. I donated.

ModSquadGal 3 years, 5 months ago

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

Obviously some of you have the greatness and moral compass of cavemen. What a shame your compassion is only for yourselves. Selfish and short-sighted.

imastinker 3 years, 5 months ago

I work with a guy who needs a hip replacement surgery - pretty badly. He can't afford it either.

It would be a real shame if he doesn't get this and some dog does.

CorkyHundley 3 years, 5 months ago

Is the donation tax deductable if I get it in before January 1? I am unsure because of Obama's Dhimmitude transformation of the country.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

$4000? My hip cost $36,000! But then, I was operated on in a multimillion dollar facility by a surgeon who is considered one of the best in the nation and runs the risk of being sued every time he goes into the operating room. His malpractice insurance premium per month is more than I make in a year. Personally I wouldn't spend 4 grand on a pet for any reason, but to each his own. I hope the dog gets what he needs from those who care enough to give it and makes a full recovery.

sustainabilitysister 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank goodness some people choose to spend their money in charitable ways. Thank you to those that do. One could argue that those monies could go towards roughly 50 animals being spayed or neutered for preventive measures of pet-overpopulation through their spay/neuter voucher program. It's a difficult situation regardless, and I'm glad there are people that spend their lives working towards a better future for all living beings.

biggunz 3 years, 5 months ago

shygal83 3 years, 5 months ago

I suppose I value dogs more than humans, but than I guess I can't argue stupidity. It's a human world. What chance do animals have if we don't take care of them?

blue73harley 3 years, 5 months ago

I submit that there are sillier things to spend money on. For example, I would rather see a few bucks going to the pup than to a casino...but, hey, you have a choice.

macon47 3 years, 5 months ago

seems like a waste or resources , and i love pets are these folks nuts or what? do they realize what money is?

sourpuss 3 years, 5 months ago

Why can't a human get a $4000 hip replacement, if that is all that sort of thing -really- costs?

LJ Whirled 3 years, 5 months ago

Not a good idea. Love dogs, pity this pup ... can't justify it.

Sometimes you have to do, what you have to do.

Amy Heeter 3 years, 5 months ago

Lighten up people. It would serve many to have a little more compassion for animals. If you don't want to contribute than don't but don't get nasty because the Humane Society is asking for help. There are plenty of people who see the value in donating to this cause and if they do you certainly don't have anything to say about it.

jaker07 3 years, 5 months ago

That is probably the biggest waste of $4,000 I have ever heard of. Think of how many childhood vaccinations that could have bought. Or how many other millions of better uses that money could have gone to. This is a pretty messed up society that values a dog that much more than people.

50YearResident 3 years, 5 months ago

You have to be kidding, right. Next you will want heart surgery and kemo theropy.