Archive for Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lawrence Humane Society seeking donations for dog’s hip replacement surgery

October 27, 2010

Lawrence Humane Society is looking for donations to help pay for a hip replacement for an 8-month-old dog.

Four months ago, a volunteer found Rosco, a dog with big floppy ears and a happy-go-luck personality, out in the county. The young pup had a hip injury and needed surgery.

“He is such a sweet baby. He looks like a hound/beagle mix. He’s very loving and loves everybody and everything: cats, dogs, and people,” said Midge Grinstead, executive director of the Lawrence Humane Society.

The Humane Society has established a special fund to help cover the medical expenses of animals who would otherwise be euthanized. But Grinstead said it would have been irresponsible to use the fund to cover Rosco’s expenses. The surgery will cost $4,000.

So, the humane society is looking for contributions outside its normal circle of support. To contribute, call 843-6835. So far, $3,600 has been raised for Rosco’s surgery, which is set for Nov. 15.

Comments

50YearResident 4 years, 1 month ago

You have to be kidding, right. Next you will want heart surgery and kemo theropy.

SnakeFist 4 years, 1 month ago

You expect medicare to pay for your treatment right? What have you contributed to society in the last 20 years?

jaker07 4 years, 1 month ago

That is probably the biggest waste of $4,000 I have ever heard of. Think of how many childhood vaccinations that could have bought. Or how many other millions of better uses that money could have gone to. This is a pretty messed up society that values a dog that much more than people.

weegee 4 years, 1 month ago

There is no comparison being made. Money is needed for the dog and people who wish to contribute can do so. If you do not wish to contribute, then don't. It's pretty simple.

SnakeFist 4 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, it could have been spent on national defense to build a bomb that would kill people.

jaker07 4 years, 1 month ago

His name is SnakeFist... how much intelligence can you expect?

jaker07 4 years, 1 month ago

His name is SnakeFist... how much intelligence can you expect?

Amy Heeter 4 years, 1 month ago

Lighten up people. It would serve many to have a little more compassion for animals. If you don't want to contribute than don't but don't get nasty because the Humane Society is asking for help. There are plenty of people who see the value in donating to this cause and if they do you certainly don't have anything to say about it.

yankeevet 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree 100%............when i come home; my dog runs to the door and greets me; and is happy too see me; while kids are to busy playing video games; and waiting for dinner.....most unappreciatve humans i have ever known; that why i dont have any kids; dont want them around me........................will donate a hundred bucks to this cause............

KansasPerson 4 years, 1 month ago

Well, no wonder the kids don't run to the door and greet you -- you don't have any! (And if you put out a "don't want them around me" vibe all the time, I can kinda see why even other people's kids would give you a wide berth.)

sourpuss 4 years, 1 month ago

Why can't a human get a $4000 hip replacement, if that is all that sort of thing -really- costs?

jaker07 4 years, 1 month ago

sourpuss 4 years, 1 month ago

Well, that's just the thing. If it really only costs $5000 to replace a hip, be it man or dog, and the medical cartel is charging $15000 because they know people will pay, isn't that morally reprehensible?

thomgreen 4 years, 1 month ago

Are they charging that much because people will pay it, or because people are litigious and will sue them if anything goes slightly wrong? I'm guessing there's not a lot of malpractice suits being filed by animals.
That's just my guess why it costs more to have a hip replaced in a human versus and animal. I could be wrong.

weegee 4 years, 1 month ago

Agreed! For those who are on here complaining, I would be willing to bet that they spend money in ways that could be deemed "silly" all the time.

shygal83 4 years, 1 month ago

I suppose I value dogs more than humans, but than I guess I can't argue stupidity. It's a human world. What chance do animals have if we don't take care of them?

Stuart Evans 4 years, 1 month ago

"but than I guess I can't argue stupidity."

no, no, you're doing fine; continue...

sustainabilitysister 4 years, 1 month ago

Thank goodness some people choose to spend their money in charitable ways. Thank you to those that do. One could argue that those monies could go towards roughly 50 animals being spayed or neutered for preventive measures of pet-overpopulation through their spay/neuter voucher program. It's a difficult situation regardless, and I'm glad there are people that spend their lives working towards a better future for all living beings.

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

$4000? My hip cost $36,000! But then, I was operated on in a multimillion dollar facility by a surgeon who is considered one of the best in the nation and runs the risk of being sued every time he goes into the operating room. His malpractice insurance premium per month is more than I make in a year. Personally I wouldn't spend 4 grand on a pet for any reason, but to each his own. I hope the dog gets what he needs from those who care enough to give it and makes a full recovery.

imastinker 4 years, 1 month ago

I work with a guy who needs a hip replacement surgery - pretty badly. He can't afford it either.

It would be a real shame if he doesn't get this and some dog does.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps you could start a fund for him just like the Lawrence Humane Society did for this poor abandoned animal.

imastinker 4 years, 1 month ago

He can actually get it done free from the VA. Money's not the problem - it's something to do with a wait and some defective parts they put on some vets. Those vets get priority over the ones who haven't had anything. He's not being told no, but has to wait several years.

In the meantime he's on some painkillers that really affect his quality of life.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 1 month ago

He sounds pretty abandoned to me too. Thanks Obama!

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 1 month ago

Could you organize a fundraiser for him? People are usually pretty good about donating to a cause for friends and/or family because it's less awkward if it's in the form of a party. Even in small towns, money can be raised this way pretty quickly.

It doesn't seem fair, but on the other hand, I couldn't look an otherwise perfectly healthy pup in the eye, that could potentially bring someone years of joy and companionship, and deny it medical treatment if there was a way to help it. Tough decisions for sure.

fusel 4 years, 1 month ago

Could bring great companionship if he will be adopted. Could be difficult if that pet will face future medical treatment like that. If he won't be adopted, he's facing a miserable life in a cage...

gatekeeper 4 years, 1 month ago

He already has a family that's adopting him. You'd have to be a really shallow person to not want a dog because it had to have surgery. But, the posts on this board show that there are lots of ignorant, shallow people around.

ModSquadGal 4 years, 1 month ago

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

Obviously some of you have the greatness and moral compass of cavemen. What a shame your compassion is only for yourselves. Selfish and short-sighted.

Chrissy Neibarger 4 years, 1 month ago

I saw this pup at Petco over the weekend. He's such a sweetheart and really didn't deserve the treatment that he got before the Human Society found him. I think that it's wonderful that they are doing this for him. He will make someone a very very fine companion. I donated.

fusel 4 years, 1 month ago

Why is the LJW doing PR? This is a pathetic attempt at emotional public relations.

A "dog with big floppy ears and a happy-go-luck personality"? This is cheap. If you wanna spend the money for one dog, fine, but this is a newspaper, not a charity event. Some staff member clearly had a personal agenda going here...

I'd rather save 10 dogs with that money instead of one. And there probably is a good reason why the Humane Society's fund can't spend their money on the dog.

jafs 4 years, 1 month ago

The fund is said to be for animals that would otherwise face euthanasia.

Apparently this dog doesn't fit that criteria.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 1 month ago

Think about it...... When you come home late, who is glad to see you and who is pissed
A) dog B) wife

hmmmm 4 years, 1 month ago

I don't know why people are so offended, they are only asking. The LHS is not soliciting people door to door or waving flyers in your face. If enough money is not raised, the dog will probably be put down and money that was raised will go to help another dog (which will be sad because Rosco is a sweet boy). I commend LHS for setting up a fund for this dog. Most shelters wouldn't give a second thought to euthanizing him. So give the people at the Humane Society a break. It's not easy witnessing the brutality of humans on a daily basis.

nytemayr 4 years, 1 month ago

ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MINDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuinnSutore 4 years, 1 month ago

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Boing! Now it really makes sense as to why they are having some long term employees get CCW . . . and making sure everyone knows!

TheYetiSpeaks 4 years, 1 month ago

So...do you have proof of any of these accusations or are you just a bitter ex-employee? It's real easy to come on these forums and spout negative things....much harder to actually validate your absurd claims. If your claims are true, then they all seem to be about cash-flow running into the shelter, or lack thereof. I happen to know that because of the city's economic plight that many of the services they have funded over the years have seen their "help" drastically reduced in recent years. Perhaps your scorn should be redirected. I guess what I'm saying is: It's easy to bash the boss when your not the one making the tough decisions.....Grow up.

QuinnSutore 4 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, defend the employer breaking federal employment law and blame the victim. I need to just grow up and be a good sweatshop employee like everyone else, I'm sure.

50YearResident 4 years, 1 month ago

Will the surgery cost be passed on to the new owner like they do with neturing fees? Oh, here is a nice puppy with floppy ears you can adopt for just $4250. He is such a sweetie.....

gatekeeper 4 years, 1 month ago

nonbeliverofprint 4 years, 1 month ago

I am so amazed at all the bad comments on here. This is a human interest story. The people who donate & the puppy will be the ones that benefit from this article. Why would anyone think the LJW staff will benefit.? I shouldn't be shocked at how many narrow minded & selfish people live around here but I am. The animal shelter is looking for help. How else are they supposed to let the public know if they don't advertise it? Like stated in previous comment - if you don't want to donate then don't. For those of us that do care about other living things instead of just ourselves I commend you and thank you. I adopted a dog 2 years ago that was rescued by an animal shelter and I'd do it again. This puppy will make someone very happy and won't necessarily live in a cage the rest of its life.

thelonious 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm with you all the way.....people who don't value animal life will someday fail to value human life as well. All life is precious - there is no reason not to help this pup if people want to or can help. What we individually or as a society choose to spend money on is completely based on priorities - as a nation, we choose to spend more resources on a war machine (to protect the natural resources we need for our wasteful "way of life") than on health care for our citizens - if you want to complain about not getting your $36,000 hip replacement, look at the Pentagon, not the Lawrence Humane Soceity, as the cause.

BTW, there is an online troll that frequently replies to my posts in a negative manner - notajayhawk - if he/she/it replies to this post, please do not respond to their post, just ignore it. Thanks.

tanaumaga 4 years, 1 month ago

just like coach used to say, walk it off.

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

My surgeon will be retiring before then. I'll send my quarter jar to get you a fast start on it!

gatekeeper 4 years, 1 month ago

Why do you assume that someone that donates to animal causes doesn't donate to causes that help people? You know what they say about those that assume........

Jodi_B 4 years, 1 month ago

People can make money. Dogs can't. I'll donate to the dogs every time.

kujayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

It's a hell of a lot better than seeing people donate money to some "building fund" for a corrupt church or to some not-for-profit organization that pays it's CEO $500K a year.

tigerlil42 4 years, 1 month ago

An uncaring human put the dog in this situation where has to have surgery, now other uncaring humans would rather deny the animal surgery & have him put down. have some compassion, the dog didn't cause his problem, just needs some help to get better. HAVE A HEART!!!

lawrencenerd 4 years, 1 month ago

How many of you could go down there and meet that dog, pet him, play with him, and then tell him that he doesn't deserve to live? You may not be so quick to judge the worth of his life if you actually met him. They've already raised most of the money they need for him, and need only 400 dollars more to cover his surgery. I'm willing to bet a portion of that was donated by LHS staff themselves. Nobody wants to see a loving animal put down for health reasons that could have been resolved.

It isn't that society values animals more than they do people. The reason these animals are in the situations they are is because many people out there don't value their animals enough, and they end up abused, homeless, or come from otherwise bad situations. Humans are the reason that the shelter exists. If animals didn't come from bad situations and need help, we wouldn't need to have a shelter to help them.

Jeremy DeBoard 4 years, 1 month ago

I didn't see anywhere in the article that the dog has been adopted. Nor does it say on the humane society's website or the link to petfinder for Rosoe. http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17288832

"The Humane Society has established a special fund to help cover the medical expenses of animals who would otherwise be euthanized. But Grinstead said it would have been irresponsible to use the fund to cover Rosco’s expenses."

Meaning if they receive an animal that needs surgery in order to walk (stray dog hit by a car and now has a shattered pelvis) then their special fund would cover that, because otherwise the animal would have to be killed.

There is no mention here, but Rosoe can stand and walk on his own, which makes him ineligible for the special fund money. The hip surgery is to "prevent possible arthritis later in life"; according the the petfinder link provided. Therefore, it's a preventive surgery, not a corrective one.

gatekeeper 4 years, 1 month ago

Channel 6 news this morning ran a piece on it and said that he already has a family ready to adopt him after he is recovered from his surgery.

lawrencenerd 4 years, 1 month ago

It is really easy to post up a bunch of bull without giving a citation for it isn't it?

lawrencenerd 4 years, 1 month ago

There is no evidence on that page that donations to the Lawrence Humane Society end up there. I don't see how it applies to the situation at all.

TheYetiSpeaks 4 years, 1 month ago

No... but you might be too lazy to figure out that the Lawrence Humane Society has absolutely no ties to the USHS...Problem #4362 with these forums. People like you who spout their ignorant assumptions without doing a little factchecking.

Practicality 4 years, 1 month ago

In Mexico they could do the surgery for $238.

Or,

It might be Free in Canada.

thelonious 4 years, 1 month ago

Vet schools don't do vet work for free...they do do things at reduced rates, but certainly not free. Our 8 year old St. Bernard developed bone cancer in her jaw two and a half years ago, we had surgery and chemo done at MU vet school, it was less expensive than doing it at a private vet, but certainly not free. Our St. Bernard lived another year and a half, with excellent quality of life, before the cancer came back, and when it did it progressed rapdily and we lost her. An extra year and a half of running at the Clinton Lake dog park, greeting me at the door when I got home from work, walks down Mass, farmers market, Mutt-n-Strutt, and keeping us awake during thundersorms. :-)

We spent a lot to get that extra year and a half for her, but I'd do it over again ten times out of ten - that dog gave me more than I could ever hope to give back. Pure, unadulterated unconditional love. It's been over 15 months since we lost her, and I still miss her something fierce.

So some of you might not do what we did - fine, that's your choice. But stop the negative comments about those of us who value our companion animals - individual situations are different, and your attempt to paint a decision to spend $4,000 on a hip replacement for a dog to give that dog a chance at a decent life as black and white is wrong - it's not a black and white situation, and someone who chooses to do this surgery is not stupid or foolish.

I'm sure glad our St. Bernard found us and not some of the heartless people on this board.

avetaysmom 4 years, 1 month ago

I can see why people would want to donate for a good cause, what I don't understand is why can't the vet who is performing the surgery do it for free? Maybe charge just for medicine, but the surgery could be donated to, idk, sounds like a good idea to me.

Armored_One 4 years, 1 month ago

Wish I had known about this sooner or I would have already contributed. My family routinely buys dog and cat food, cat litter and blankets and sheets at garage sales and donate them.

I've lived with dogs and cats my entire life and I don't want to imagine any of the ones I have now getting hurt. They are just like my kids, rowdy, rambunctious, loud, obnoxious and beyond affectionate.

Compassion shouldn't be limited, but expanded. I know it would most likely not happen, but it would be nice to watch, or just read about, everyone in town taking a one dollar bill, turning it into four quarters and donating one quarter to the following places:

Domestic violence shelter United Way Slavation Army Humane society

A quarter really doesn't seem like much, but you put 10 or 20 thousand of them together and you suddenly have a pretty nice chunk of change, pun not intended. We are a one income family with 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, car payment and all the rest of the normal bills we all have, but we still donate all over the place.

Been asked why more than once, and always use the same answer.

Because my 6 year old daughter would never forgive me if I didn't try to help.

Mainly that goes for the animal shelter, but it fits the bill on the rest just as easily.

One quarter a month to those 4 causes from just half of Lawrence will go a long way for a lot of people. Maybe we'd all be a bit better off, if only inside. The outside world is ugly enough as it is. No sense mirroring it on the inside, too.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 1 month ago

Do you people really think that if the Humane Society could have gotten this done for free that they would be on this board asking for help so you could abuse them? All of your empty suggestions conribute nothing to the welfare of the animal in question. If you don't want to drop your 2 cents into the coffer then shove it somewhere else.

Sunny Parker 4 years, 1 month ago