Archive for Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Town Talk: Lawrence BMX track proposed; Berry warehouse site approved; Ben & Jerry’s closes Mass store

October 26, 2010, 2:18 p.m. Updated October 26, 2010, 2:25 p.m.

• A previously reported plan to create a BMX bicycle track in Lawrence is moving forward again. Members of a new not-for-profit group — LARRI-BMX — have developed a set of plans to build a BMX racing facility on three to five acres of property they hope will be donated either by the city or county.

A model of the proposed 1,500-foot track, lights and other related facilities is on display at Lawrence Re-Cyclery, 731 N.H.

Brian Shay, owner of the Re-Cyclery and a member of the BMX group, said plans now are to begin having more serious discussions with the city or the county about available land. Shay said a location at YSI might work, but there’s also interest in locating the track at the Douglas County Fairgrounds because it may be easier for people to ride their bikes to the facility.

A model of a proposed BMX track that a Lawrence group would like to build on a three to five acre site in the city.

The group — which would like to use the track for local riders and to attract regional racing events — doesn’t plan to ask local governments for any funding other than use of property. Previous estimates have been between $50,000 and $100,000 to construct the track, but Shay said the group is hoping to do it for far less through donated dirt and volunteer labor.

• The proposed site for a 600,000-square-foot warehouse for Berry Plastics won easy approval at the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission on Monday night. Commissioners unanimously approved rezoning a site at East 700 and North 1800 roads from agricultural to light industrial. The rezoning now must go to the Douglas County Commission for final approval. Also, look for county commissioners to receive a request for tax abatement from Berry Plastics related to the project.

• Planning commissioners on Wednesday will hear about another proposed industrial site northwest of Lawrence. Commissioners will consider annexing and rezoning 51 acres at North 1800 and East 1000 roads. The property is only about two miles east of the proposed Berry site, but it has attracted significantly more opposition from neighbors. Planning staff members, though, are recommending approval of the rezoning. Unlike the Berry site, the development group is seeking to have the property annexed into Lawrence. It also does not have a specific user for the property, but rather wants it rezoned so the land can be marketed to potential tenants. Also, the site is proposed for general industrial zoning, which is a slightly more intense industrial category than the light industrial sought at the Berry site.

• The days of a chunky monkey on Mass. Street are no more. The ice cream store Ben & Jerry’s has closed, according to a sign posted in the window of the store, 818 Mass. The store had been open for five years downtown. No word yet on whether anything is scheduled to move into the space.

What town talk are you hearing. Send me a tip at clawhorn@ljworld.com.

Comments

James Sneegas 3 years, 5 months ago

The City of Lawrence has been great when it comes to setting up sports fields and general recreation areas all in and around Lawrence. It seems only natural that a BMX track would make a great addition to the sporting lineup, especially since it really won't cost the city or the tax payers anything. Family fun and family participation is what the Parks and Recreation Department is all about. I hope the choice is follow through with the BMX track idea and make it a reality..............

MasterShake 3 years, 5 months ago

Too bad about Ben and Jerry's. I'm not a fan of the soup they call ice cream at Silas and Maddy's.

MasterShake 3 years, 5 months ago

Kirk Larson 3 years, 5 months ago

Score one for Silas and Maddy's. I love me some Peanut Butter Freak.

BillybobThorten 3 years, 5 months ago

We dont need Famous Daves. We have Biggs

commuter 3 years, 5 months ago

If these peoplethink a BMX track will have enough interests, why don't they but some land and build it themselves?? Why does the city or the county have to donate the land???

commuter 3 years, 5 months ago

justforfun 3 years, 5 months ago

Ben and Jerrys was gettin KILLED by 3 spoons!! That's why they closed.

auntmimi210 3 years, 5 months ago

Aww... sad, but I'm not surprised about Ben & Jerry's, in this economy. My daughter & I went there once & spent like $12.00 on just the 2 of us! I just wish someone would re-open a Baskin-Robbins here!

gccs14r 3 years, 5 months ago

It was only recently that I even noticed there was a Ben & Jerry's downtown (not that I was interested in the slightest). Sylas & Maddy's has been our only ice cream stop since an unpleasant aftermath from Cold Stone once.

homechanger 3 years, 5 months ago

Fairgrounds seems like a better choice. It would be easier for the lower income kids to access.

jobuka 3 years, 5 months ago

Anything to get the kids off the couch and active is awesome. I think BMX is becoming very mainstream and its about time that we get a track. In these trying times anything healthy to put yourself or your kids into is great! I wish we had one when I was a kid!

kernal 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh, good, we got rid of more farm land. Yippee.

James Sneegas 3 years, 5 months ago

I spent last spring and summer going to race night after race night to watch my 7 year old grandson and 10 year old granddaughter pedal their little hearts out in a personal challenge to be the fastest one around the course. Sometimes it ended well and sometimes it would end in a failure as they would place out of trophy range. These kids showed dedication that I didn't know still existed in today's youth. They are both slim, trim and fit. It would be nice to see a track locally so grandma and grandpa didn't have to travel so far to support them. This is a sport for all age groups from four to sixty. A BMX track would offer a form of recreation that supports family participation and promotes physical fitness. I support the construction of a BMX Park with great enthusiasm.

Celeste 3 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, they ripped out all my favorite things from the parks that I remember growing up. :( I was wondering where the fire truck went...and I LOVED the rocket ship in Broken Arrow Park. It was so peaceful up there...until my mom started yelling for me that it was time to go!! Those were the days...

pizzapete 3 years, 5 months ago

I could see a BMX track being very popular in Lawrence. We need more options for kids to be outside having fun and getting exercise.

phoggyjay 3 years, 5 months ago

It's good that Ben & Jerry's is closing down. Their ice cream is full of artificial colors and flavors.

blue73harley 3 years, 5 months ago

I like the idea of a BMX track and I have no problem with the skate park.

However, I do find it ironic that this city thought that they needed to install a chain link fence around a train, remove an antique fire truck from a South Park and rip out all of the playground equipment from Broken Arrow park in the name of "safety".

geezlouize 3 years, 5 months ago

My kids are all about BMX. They would love to have a track in town. As it stands now, we have to drive to Topeka or Raytown for the kids to race.

nixojo 3 years, 5 months ago

Yay! Bring on the bike track!

lawrencian 3 years, 5 months ago

Since BMX is now an olympic sport, it would be great to have a track here.
www.usacycling.org

tabitha013 3 years, 5 months ago

A BMX track would be a great addition to Lawrence! It's another way to get the kids off the couch and out doing something. Not only would it be good for the economy, but would help out the overall health of the community, which we desperately need!

VOTE BMX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clark Coan 3 years, 5 months ago

Guess the customers of Sylas and Maddy's were too loyal. Just like the the Community Mercantile customers when Wild Oats tried to undercut their prices.

skull 3 years, 5 months ago

Good luck BMX...if the track ends up like the lawrence skatepark, you'll be riding the same jumps for twenty years and waiting at least one year just to get a burned out lightbulb replaced.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 5 months ago

Stand alone ice creams shops are all going away.

walter_sobchak 3 years, 5 months ago

I myself once dabbled in pacifism...

alm77 3 years, 5 months ago

My three kids and I pulled up to have our $1 ice cream cone yesterday and my six-year-old broke into tears when I told him Ben and Jerry's was gone forever. Almost cried myself. That's been our Monday tradition for months. :(

d_prowess 3 years, 5 months ago

I think I mentioned this in the comments the last time this BMX track issue was in the news, but I don't understand why anyone would be opposed to such an effort. The city has a ton of land that is "designated" for parks but that they don't have the money to build. This is a group willing to do it without asking for a handout (I don't consider the land a handout if it was already going to be a city park). Where is the downside?

Dolph4 3 years, 5 months ago

I think the track proposal needs a sweet drop-in like He11track in that '80's movie Rad!! Then I could be like Cru Jones!!

d_rigadee 3 years, 5 months ago

BMX races are done in "motos". A moto is synonymous with a heat in track, or say drag-strip racing. Motos are divided by age and experience level within age groups. There are generally 2 qualifying and one final moto per division. By the time you complete one moto on a BMX track, you will be winded, as the action is all-out, and you are traversing features as tall as maybe 6-8 feet high.
Raytown, MO, had the opportunity to host a National ABA event this year. They had over 130 motos for 2 days, with an average of 5-6 riders per moto. It was quite a scene to spectate. They did an outstanding job putting it on, and I am sure the local economy LOVED it. People traveled from as far away as Texas, Illinois and Wisconsin to spend the whole week, in some cases. I think this would provide an entertaining dynamic to the Parks system.

royalpain 3 years, 5 months ago

Hey, Chad. What's going on at the former HH Bar & Grill site at 6th & Wakarusa? Have you heard what's going to be opening there?

Danimal 3 years, 5 months ago

RIP Ben & Jerry's. I don't know anything about BMX, but wouldn't you want a track that connected to itself so you could do laps and have races?

5thgeneration 3 years, 5 months ago

I still feel that this would be a great asset to the community. Lets make this happen.