Archive for Sunday, October 24, 2010

100 years ago: Quarterly report shows Douglas County with $75k deposited

October 24, 2010

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily World for Oct. 24, 1910:

“County Treasurer Eddy has completed his quarterly report and filed the document with the commissioners. It shows that approximately $75,000 is deposited in various banks over the county to the credit of Douglas county. The most depleted funds belong to the city of Lawrence, the general fund containing but .06 cents and the school fund but .35 cents.

“A real sorrow came into our life Friday evening when the frost took the tomato vines.

“Secret practice will be held on McCook field every night next week by the Jayhawkers. The coaches have completed their preliminary training work with the squad and from now on the men will be drilled in perfecting the new plays and pointed for the three big games on the schedule, namely, those with Oklahoma, Nebraska and Missouri. But the Jayhawker mentors are not overlooking the Washburn struggle next Saturday, either.

“Dan Morton, one of the best known colored men in the city, dropped dead in his little garden at 379 Hickory Saturday evening. Death was due to heart disease. Morton was about 70 years of age and served upon the police force of Lawrence for twelve or fifteen years. He was first appointed during Mayor Bowersock’s administration in 1881, and served irregularly until about three years ago. He had been a resident of Lawrence for nearly forty years, and was trusted and respected. A wife and four children survive him.”

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.