Archive for Thursday, October 21, 2010

Kansas Board of Regents reduce minimum hours requirement to graduate

October 21, 2010

— The Kansas Board of Regents on Thursday approved decreasing from 124 to 120 the minimum number of semester credit hours required for a bachelor's degree.

The change takes effect immediately.

The regents staff recommended the change, noting that 39 states, including all those bordering Kansas, have a 120-hour minimum.

"Given the high degree of student mobility today and the fact that many receive bachelor's degrees from an institution other than the one at which they began study, establishing consistency with regard to minimum baccalaureate degree requirements should benefit students by creating improved efficiency and transferability of credit," a staff memo said.

Comments

1983Hawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Not disgagreeing with Toe's point, but KU didn't make this call. The BOR did. KU has been struggling with ways to move students on through as undergrads in 8 semesters instead of 10 or 12 or more in an era of escalating tuition and high enrollment. This will help in that regard.

Danimal 4 years, 2 months ago

The reason no one is finishing college in 3 or 4 years anymore is because it's become a lifestyle and kids today only want to take 12 hours a semester. Instead of focusing on getting a degree and graduating kids are trying to soak up of 5 or 6 years of college life. It's still possible to get through KU in 4 years or less because I just did it, while working full time. All you have to do is take 15 to 18 hours per semester and not change your major a dozen times. I think I actually finished with 140-some odd credit hours because I had some dead space in my schedule towards the end and had to take some filler classes to remain a full time student and keep my scholarships. I wouldn't recommend doing things the way I did to everyone, but I'm tired of all these lazy, whiny kids bitching about having to take 12 hours a semester like it's a prison sentence. Don't get me wrong though, there are still some good hard working people attending KU too

9070811 4 years, 2 months ago

You sure do assume a lot about your former peers. Not everyone is you or has your very very special abilities. Get over yourself.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 2 months ago

There was a time when not everyone could go to college. it made degrees more valuable and provided a broader educational experience. Now, everyone feels entitled to go to a university, which crowds the classrooms, and dumps millions of additional mediocre-level individuals into the job market, with an ever-decreasing number of jobs available for them. Many who are handed over to these universities will drop out, but not before the colleges have taken their money for a few semesters, leaving them with partial degrees and a couple years less real world work experience. I dare say that most of the people who crowd into colleges would be better off taking a job with career advancement possibilities straight out of high school and forgoing the university experience altogether.

JayhawksandHerd 4 years, 2 months ago

You know, Moocher, for someone who works so hard, you sure have a lot of time to post on these forums.

Eyezahahh 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree with 1983Hawk that it really is best for the school and retaining its accreditation by having more students graduating in 4 years. Having it be 120hrs makes it easier for a student who is also working a lot of hours. 120hrs allows students to just have to take 15hrs each semester, which is the recommended number for full time students.

gsxr600 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure most of you realize 124hrs is more than what's needed to graduate in a school. Being a student and with my degree requirements, now I won't have to take 4 extra hours of BS courses like bowling or basketball just to satisfy a number requirement. Also, this will save me at least $852.

nobody1793 4 years, 2 months ago

I prefer to just solve complecated math problems I find on chalk boards while working as a janitor at night.

SnakeFist 4 years, 2 months ago

Keep in mind that most majors require between 27 (e.g., religious studies) and 55 hours (e.g., several of the sciences) ; the remaining hours aren't directly relevant to the student's interests or goals. Also keep in mind that 15 hours per semester is 120 hours in four years; sure you can take more hours per semester, but, in my experience, more hours generally result in lower grades. Lastly, eliminating those extra four hours plus associated textbook(s) and fees saves students approximately $1000.

LogicMan 4 years, 2 months ago

Interesting. Now, what about the maximum number of hours?