Archive for Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Wrong-way driver dies in Monday’s K-10 accident; other driver in critical condition

October 19, 2010

One person was killed and another person was seriously injured in an accident on Kansas Highway 10 in far western Johnson County about 10:30 Monday night, the Kansas Highway Patrol said.

Dora Henning, a 76-year-old De Soto woman, was driving her Buick LeSabre east in the westbound lanes of K-10 when she collided with 41-year-old Refujio Gomez-Ruiz, of Kansas City. Henning had been driving the wrong way for several miles when she came over a hill and struck Gomez-Ruiz’s Ford Windstar head-on.

Henning died at the scene, while Gomez-Ruiz was transported to Overland Park Regional Medical Center with serious injuries from the accident. A hospital spokeswoman said late Tuesday afternoon that Gomez-Ruiz was in the hospital’s intensive care unit and was listed in critical condition.

The accident happened just minutes after another accident in eastern Douglas County, near Eudora, in which Henning forced another car off the road while traveling the wrong way, according to the highway patrol.

The other driver in that accident, 20-year-old Michael Yodler of Overland Park, was driving a 2002 Honda Civic. He suffered only minor injuries, and wasn’t transported from the scene. The first accident occurred about two miles west of the Johnson-Douglas county line.

Portions of westbound K-10 were shut down from De Soto to Eudora for several hours overnight as crews investigated the two accident scenes.

Comments

Eride 4 years, 2 months ago

Anyone who thinks people over the age of 65 shouldn't be driving?

whats_going_on 4 years, 2 months ago

If they can shovel their drive and walkway then they can drive.

lol....what.

And I agree with you about being discriminating. BUT I think elderly should have to take a test when they get to a certain age. Or heck, I think EVERYONE should have to take a test for that matter, on a regular basis. Get all bad drivers off the road.

GardenMomma 4 years, 2 months ago

Not only that, but the entire comment is a sentence fragment.

Al Deathe 4 years, 2 months ago

Age is not the problem, ones ability to drive a vehicle is!

Eride 4 years, 2 months ago

I would try to explain to you the various methods that are available when one is expressing an opinion but it is apparent that the subtlety of that is lost on you.

pace 4 years, 2 months ago

LadyJ 4 years, 2 months ago

Give Eride a break, there is nothing better to do till it snows so she (I think it is she) can see how many people he/she can turn in for not shoveling their sidewalk and getting them a fine.

GardenMomma 4 years, 2 months ago

I am so sorry to hear of the tragedy, My condolences go out to the woman's family. I hope for speedy recoveries for all involved. My heart goes out to everyone involved.

ralphralph 4 years, 2 months ago

We should be able to discuss that some sort of restriction on elder driving is a political taboo, even though there is substantial evidence (like this incident) that it is as real a concern as teen driving, which gets lots of action -- presumably because teens can't vote.

The message should go out: "If you can't drive any more, don't."

CreatureComforts 4 years, 2 months ago

You do realize the voting age is eighTEEN, right? :)

Kris_H 4 years, 2 months ago

"If you can't drive...don't." Yes, that should apply across the board.

If you can't drive because that last drink was one too many, don't. If you can't drive because you can't roll your doob at the same time, don't. If you can't drive because your GF in the passenger seat is more interesting than the road, don't. If you can't drive with your thumbs and eyes both on the text message you're writing, don't. If you can't drive because you're too confused to figure out where to go, don't. If you can't drive because you really can't see the road signs, don't.

So sorry for all involved and the tragic, useless loss of life.

Shardwurm 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't have issues with people over 65 driving.

However, I do believe that at a certain age - say 70 - people should be required to go in yearly to get their license renewed, and it should include a driving test.

budwhysir 4 years, 2 months ago

anyone with the first letter E for an onscreen name shouldnt be posting???

TheRob 4 years, 2 months ago

When my grandfather was alive, the Illinois DMV kept renewing his license well into his 80s, even though he would regularly lose circulation in his feet (causing massive swelling) and suffered dizzy spells when he turned his head to the left. Even though he had a license, we prohibited him from driving, going as far as taking the keys. Older people are surprisingly good at hiding their deficiencies to hang on to one of their last pieces of independence (driving).

SofaKing 4 years, 2 months ago

Can we all agree that the on and off ramps on much of K-10 don't have really highly visible WRONG WAY signs which would help alert an aging driver or a driver unfamiliar with the area? Driving the wrong way on K-10 seems to happen quite frequently. Since it happens quite frequently, perhaps larger or louder WRONG WAY signs, even flashing lights at night, could save some lives.

verity 4 years, 2 months ago

It's very hard for most people to give up the privilege of driving, especially where public transportation is minimal or nonexistent. For most people it is the biggest step in losing their independence that there is.

I'm getting to the age where this is staring me in the face and it's very scary. Right now, I feel like I am a safer driver than I was when I was younger because I am more aware and more careful and do not take the chances I used to take. I also walk when I can and try to keep my driving to a minimum.

I don't like the idea of having to take a driving test, but I feel very strongly that driver's license should not be automatically renewed at any age. I also think that traffic laws should be enforced better than they are now. It's just incredible to me how many times I see people blow right past stop signs or drive at high speeds through town. The idea that you are getting somewhere faster in town is pretty much an illusion.

And as the population becomes older, we need to come up with better ways of allowing people to be independent without having to drive. I would gladly give up driving if there was another convenient way to get places.

verity 4 years, 2 months ago

Third paragraph should be "driver's licenses."

auntmimi210 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the possibility that the driver might have had some sort of medical condition - blackouts, low/high blood sugar, a stroke? But maybe she wouldn't have been able to stay on the road so long if that were the case. Well, whatever happened, it's a very sad story. My heart goes out to all the families.