Archive for Tuesday, October 19, 2010

One arrested during weekend sobriety check lane in Eudora

October 19, 2010

One person was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving as part of the Douglas County Sheriff’s sobriety check lane that began late Saturday in Eudora.

Sgt. Steve Lewis, a sheriff’s spokesman, said officers also checked 98 vehicles and conducted five field sobriety tests as part of the check lane in the 1400 block of Church Street from 11:30 p.m. Saturday to 1:30 a.m. Sunday.

Comments

Steve Jacob 4 years, 2 months ago

End the check point before last call, nice.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 2 months ago

had to end it so the police could get to the bar in time to knock a few back before close.

ralphralph 4 years, 2 months ago

You got it, Grandma! The most basic right we have is the right to be left the He*# alone. If I'm driving wrong, have at me, pull me over and give me the business. Otherwise, leave me alone!

There's a real value to a little bit of liberty. Let's not piss it away on stuff like this.

somebodynew 4 years, 2 months ago

1_, it is not just you, but I wish all posters with this idea would get a clue. The SCOTUS has ruled this is NOT illegal search and seizure. You may not like the idea (not really sure I do), but it is NOT illegal.

srj - good point.

kansasmutt 4 years, 2 months ago

Under the costitution of The United States Of America , it is illegal. It doesn`t bother me, becuse i would like to see EVERYONE who is drunk off the roads, but it is not legal, no matter what SCOTUS says.

It is """" illegal search & seizure """"" How far can you bend the Costitution before you break it ?????????

That is my view !!!!!!!!!

ralphralph 4 years, 2 months ago

It's okay because they mean well. Isn't that the argument? I differ.

Dead Justice Brandeis differed, too, and even when he was dead-on right, they wouldn't listen to him. I pass along, once more, his spot-on and oft-ignored wisdom ....

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

That Louie! Wattaguy!

HaRDNoK9 4 years, 2 months ago

Unbelievable! In principle I want to support whatever I can as long as it protects the safety interests of the public. On the surface, it seems like a sobriety checkpoint could protect a whole lot of people. Setting up a sobriety checkpoint on 14th and Church sounds more to me like the police are trying to prove that sobriety checkpoints are a waste of resources! How many officers were needed to operate that checkpoint for 2 hours in an area where nothing was going on, only to catch one criminal? (rhetorical)

LPD, you are right. You are wasting public resources. Why don't half of you quit and go stand in a bread line?

Kontum1972 4 years, 2 months ago

what was the result of the investigation of the two vehicle accident on Inverness & Clinton last week that resulted in that young lady dying?

WHY 4 years, 2 months ago

LJW why don't you post the cost to taxpayers to catch one DUI. And then calculate how many hungry children in America we could feed or how many insurance premiums for the poor we could cover. The LJW needs to stop just reporting stuff like this and do investigative pieces. Ask questions, Question the answers, Be curious-- in other words be a reporter.

WHY 4 years, 2 months ago

Just so you all know, even thought the SCOTUS ruled that it is constitutionally permissible it is not mandatory and we can push for a statute which prohibits police from acting this way. We control the police not the other way around. Get mad. Get an idea. Change the law.

kimk 4 years, 2 months ago

Hasn't Eudora done several DUI sobriety checkpoints since they got a new Chief, with absolutely no results? I wonder how much taxpayers money he has spent needlessly since he took over? I think its time to talk Dahlem into coming out of retirement and talk Grady into retirement.