Archive for Monday, October 18, 2010

Brownback, Kobach call for voter identification requirement

A Douglas County resident casts his advance ballot Monday at the Douglas County Courthouse. Kansas Republican candidates Sam Brownback and Kris Kobach say that if elected they will push through legislation that would require people to show a photo ID to vote.

October 18, 2010

— As the deadline passed Monday for people to register to vote in the general election, Republican gubernatorial candidate Sam Brownback and GOP secretary of state candidate Kris Kobach vowed, if elected, to push through laws that would require people to show a photo ID to vote.

Democratic candidates for those offices -- Tom Holland and Chris Biggs -- said the proposal was unnecessary, costly and would burden elderly Kansans and people with disabilities.

“You have to present a photo ID to cash a check written against your own account,” argued Kobach. “It's perfectly reasonable to ask for the same safeguards when voting,” he said.

Brownback also said he supports requiring proof of citizenship when registering to vote. “This will help reduce instances of voter fraud,” Brownback said.

Holland, a state senator from Baldwin City, and Biggs, the incumbent secretary of state, said voter fraud is not a problem in Kansas.

“This is a solution in search of a problem,” said Holland. “The largest threat to the integrity of our elections would be career politicians placing additional – and expensive - barriers between voters and the ballot box. This burden would be especially hard on the elderly, the poor and the disabled,” he said.

The League of Women Voters agrees with Holland’s assessment in opposing ID and proof-of-citizenship requirements.

The league says that based on surveys 11 percent of adult Americans, including more than one-third of people over the age of 75, don’t have a photo ID.

Biggs said Kobach couldn’t be trusted with running fair elections, and pointed to the time Kobach, while serving as chairman of the Kansas Republican Party, sent out a fundraising e-mail in which he boasted “to date the Kansas Republican Party has caged more voters in the past 11 months than the previous two years.”

Caging voters is a term generally used to describe a way to suppress voting in predominantly minority districts that tend to vote for Democrats. After the e-mail went out, state Republican Party officials said they used the “caged” term to describe efforts to identify voters and their views on certain issues.

Holland also noted that photo ID laws have generated numerous lawsuits in the states where they have been approved.

“We shouldn’t put Kansas on the same road to failure by wasting taxpayer dollars on expensive and unnecessary litigation,” he said.

Comments

bobberboy 3 years, 6 months ago

well yaaaa daaaaaaaa !!!!! i won't be voting republican though !

booyalab 3 years, 6 months ago

For all the people who keep insisting that voter ID requirements depress voter turnout. They don't.

If anything, it helps turnout. Look it up.

"(voter) Turnout was higher in states that took a simple step to prevent fraud." http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123327839569631609.html

"Both trial judges in the Indiana and Georgia cases rejected as incredible and utterly unreliable the claim that there were hundreds of thousands of voters without photo ID. In two years of litigation, lawyers were unable, as the Indiana judge noted, to introduce “evidence of a single, individual Indiana resident who will be unable to vote” as a result of the photo-ID law. In Georgia, the ACLU sent out a desperate e-mail asking their contacts to find an individual who could not vote because of the voter-ID requirement — but they could not find one." http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/224533/disadvantaged-arguments/hans-von-spakovsky

rockchalk1977 3 years, 6 months ago

Identification is required to drive a car, cash a check, get a passport and board an airplane. I don't see how this is any different. No requirement just makes it easier for democrats to cheat! Way to go Brownback & Kobach.

deathpenaltyliberal 3 years, 6 months ago

Google "John Fund voter fraud falsehoods" or "John Fund voter fraud lies".

Weak.

think_about_it 3 years, 6 months ago

So how would you feel if you went to vote and found out that someone had already cast your ballot? It has happened to me. I went to the poll in the '94 elections only to find a signature that was not mine next to my name. I was allowed to cast a provisional ballot that I still do not know to this day if it counted or not. Really, what is the big deal to just prove you are who you say?

mbulicz 3 years, 6 months ago

Want to help election validity?

Inspect and regulate the electronic voting machines.

Currently a slot machine has to undergo more scrutiny than a voting machine. See: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2006/03/16/GR2006031600213.html

deathpenaltyliberal 3 years, 6 months ago

"TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says… Why would libs care who the flying fig shows an ID when they're OK with felon votes, illegal votes, Mickey Mouse's vote and ACORN out there getting fruadulent votes up the wazoo.....uh-oh, I've upset bozo, and he'll let me have it now! I solemnly swear to trust Eric Holder and never, ever question him again. There, I'm sorry, bozo."

More lies and straw men. Every time this issue comes up, instead of rational discussion, the nanny state conservatives start wetting their pants and screaming "ACORN".

The FACTS are during the last election cycle, out of 1.7 million votes, there were 7 complaints (and no prosecutions). Any business would view this is a nonissue. But you conservative losers, who apparently have no business experience, thinks the State should spend hundreds of thousands of tax dollars to combat this "problem". And it will cost that much, for training and the inevitable lawsuits.

And there will be lawsuits, as there should be when the State tries to suppress a Constitutional right.

The John Fund "study" in the FoxNews/WSJ is just another attempt by the GOP to inflame the sheeple for political purposes.

Spineless pukes, you are.

jjt 3 years, 6 months ago

Voter ID is one thing, but I am more interested in actual voter fraud. Fraud is different to the odd mistake across a state. So is this the start of a National thing. There are those who trumpet "look out, look out there be voter fraud" but locally I do not think so, even Kansas City probably not. Is this actually more a political thing rather than a practical thing. Thus before you post a political rant please provide an actual case of voter fraud even regionally, not nationally but locally. There is nothing wrong with asking for ID as long as everyone who is allowed to vote has ID What is good for an ID? Driving license?, many older folk do not have one, Passport? relatively speaking not many Americans have Passports. Then there are those who are transient or homeless. Do they not get to vote? Should the state introduce ID cards, just a thought '-))
It is very easy to sit in the stand and tell Coach what they should be doing, come up with a real problem first, then a practical solution. After all I thought the Republican / Tea party wanted less govt.

topeka52 3 years, 6 months ago

Why do you say this will impact poor people more than others, poor people still have to have a valid ID for many day to day activities, say driving a car. What I worry about more than edlerly or the poor is the ability of our troops and families who are stationed over seas or in a combat zone making sure that their votes get counted and not swept under the rug.

WHY 3 years, 6 months ago

Republicans want these rules because poor people are the least likely to be able to comply with them. This is an old issue. If Republicans thought they could actually use voter fraud to win elections then they would.

WakeUpKansans 3 years, 6 months ago

I am a Kansan. I am dumb and I am delusional. There are no narco-terrorists invading our US borders, and there are no Islamo-terrorists bombing and slaughtering innocent people all over the world.

In fact, America is not in peril (our troops are on a boondoggle in Afghanistan and Iraq), and there are no factions in the US pandering to those who break the law with impunity.

Now, why in Heaven’s name would I think that there is such a thing as voter fraud in Kansas -- or expect to show my ID to verify my right to vote?

Oh yeah, I forgot. I am a Kansan. I am dumb and I am delusional.

bd 3 years, 6 months ago

About time we tightened up on voter fraud!

Tea anyone?????

Kontum1972 3 years, 6 months ago

u still have to show ID when u cash checks or use a credit card......so what else is new..? i have to show ID when i come to work everyday...for the past 30 years......No.....BIG Deal...!

grammaddy 3 years, 6 months ago

Can we afford to spend state monies on finding solutions for problems that don't exist? Find a REAL platform to run on Regurgicans.Something obvious, not made up.

Slowponder 3 years, 6 months ago

Kobach's own bank does not trust him, requiring him to produce his papers, please. Not a strong endorsement.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 6 months ago

While I do not mind a voter ID law, the reasons these to are choosing this as a campaign issue makes me sick.

They know ID laws mostly effect the poor and they are pandering to the hysterical right who have nightmares about thousands of illegal immigrants voting even though there is no evidence that is happening at all.

Meaning, these candidates are wasting time and money on this issue and ignoring the things that are really a problem.

I would rather have a candidate of action, not of pandering. Kobach and Brownback are worthless to society. You know, I never really supported or agreed with Bob Dole, but I always respected him. He followed his convictions, seldom pandered and focused on the important issues. I do not respect Kobach or Brownback, they are simply goofballs pandering to the extreme.

Viking2 3 years, 6 months ago

The Star did an analysis of voters who cast suspicious ballots, including nursing home residents, parents voting for a college student, etc. Many suspicious ballots appeared to be related to advanced voting, where the voter received the ballot by mail, not voters showing up to vote at the polls in person. That election problem should be solved first. How would those individuals show proof of identify if the total transaction takes place by mail?

Most who believe there is election fraud appeared to be worried about non-residents. If these "aliens" wanted vote, which few do, the "aliens" would know how to obtain a photo ID.

The only true ID card that would work would be a national ID, one containing some sort of electronic chip. However, those pushing for voter IDs to prevent people sneaking in to vote (think mild paranoid) also do not want big brother to know what they are doing. (think major paranoid).

autie 3 years, 6 months ago

It would appear that Mr. Brownback and Mr. Kobach want to throw the baby out with the bath water. I say, down with the poll tax.

sierraclub 3 years, 6 months ago

Is it is me or is it strange that the people who do not want voters to show ID are the same ones who say that 911 was an inside job?

orangechubb 3 years, 6 months ago

Why is showing I.D. to vote a problem for anybody?

Agnostick 3 years, 6 months ago

I had about the same experience voting in the primary that lllwll describes above.

I instinctively pulled out my wallet, laid my driver's license on the table in front of the poll worker, a woman just this side of "elderly." She casually glanced at it and dismissively said, "Oh, I don't need to see that."

It seems more than a bit ironic to me that many of these volunteers are/were married to veterans, if not veterans themselves. I don't understand putting your life on the line for something, and then years later treating it so casually, even callously.

Even if voter fraud isn't the rampant, runaway crime that some make it out to be, so what? Do you need a major crime wave to know that it's common sense to lock your doors at night, to lock your car when you go into the shopping mall for two or three hours?

onceagain 3 years, 6 months ago

Has anyone else noticed how, when Tom is asked to provide facts and proof for his rants, he disappears from thread, then re-appears ranting elsewhere?

TinkyWinky 3 years, 6 months ago

Eh oh Tom,

I'm looking forward to a posting from Merrill with hyperlinks to numerous sources of information he has shared daily over the last couple of weeks and for some over the past couple of years.

Most of the hyperlinks are from "groundbreaking expose's" . LOL

autie 3 years, 6 months ago

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 6 months ago

onceagain 3 years, 6 months ago

Simple question. Where is the massive fraud that Koback and Brownback allege is going on at? Other than obviously there must be some or how else did we get stuck with Brownback as a senator.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 6 months ago

Personally, I highly value my right to vote. Therefore, I do not have any problem with providing identification. I think it should be mandatory.

TinkyWinky 3 years, 6 months ago

Eh oh Tom Holland,

How do they register voters in your little town of Bedrock? Do they require your wife Wilma Flintstone to produce an ID?

lllwll 3 years, 6 months ago

I do not agree with Biggs and Holland.

I voted today and was ready to show ID to show who I was. I stood there waiting at the window for about 5 min; two clerks were at their cpu ignoring me until I said "hello".

The instructions I received was to fill out the form with my name and address. Print your name and then sign on the line.

They ask if I still lived at the adress they had.

I said yes.

My point is that you can use any name and address by looking at voters info on line and do it as often as you want.

parrothead8 3 years, 6 months ago

Shows how behind the times this guy is...checks are on their way out. Everybody uses debit cards now.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for more great reporting Scottie. How much do you get under the table from the KS Dem party? Hey Scott, any negative news to report on KS Dems, or are they all squared away? I can't believe Simons pays you, or does he?

63BC 3 years, 6 months ago

Where to begin?

Kobach is running for Secretary of State, not Attorney General.

It is spelled "donor."

Neither of them has run a single negative commercial in this election.

And according to exhaustive published research by John Pfund of the Wall Street Journal voter fraud is prevalent in the United States.

Apart from that, the previous post seems entirely factual...

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 6 months ago

No, Mr Kobach, I do not have to present my photo IID at the bank,

“This is a solution in search of a problem,” said Holland. To that I would say "Amen"

Forget these two Republicans, one is running for President of the U.S. and the other is running to replace Phil Kline as idiot-in-chief in the state attorney general's race.

And this is Brownback and Kobach searching for yet another "secret doner" to buy more stupid and vicious attack ads.