Archive for Saturday, October 16, 2010

Two killed, four children injured in car accident near Nortonville

October 16, 2010

U.S. 59 near Nortonville

— Two people have been killed and four children were injured in a two-car accident in northeast Kansas.

The Kansas Highway Patrol reports that the accident occurred Friday when a Jeep traveling northbound on U.S. 59 crossed the center line and collided with a Mercury sedan about three miles northeast of Nortonville in Atchison County. Nortonville is about 37 miles north of Lawrence.

The drivers of both vehicles were killed. The patrol identified them as 19-year-old Denver James Barr of Savannah, Mo., who was driving the Jeep and 72-year-old Elizabeth Bertels of Nortonville. She was pronounced dead at an area hospital.

The patrol said four children in Bertels' car were taken to hospitals.

LJWorld.com editor Whitney Mathews contributed to this story.

Comments

annon 3 years, 6 months ago

Well actually Denver was an architecture student at K-state. We had a project due at 5 and had stayed up for 2 nights trying to finish it. They said it was clear by the wheel patterns on the road that he had fallen asleep, woke up and overcorrected. In no way was it reckless or had anything to do with being on a cell phone. Yes, he shouldn't have driven being that tired but he had to go home for work at 6 am. There's no excuse for what happened but it was an accident, he was a great kid and was in every way qualified to have a drivers license.

angel4dennis 3 years, 6 months ago

This was a very tragic accident. I pray that the four children who are hurt will be alright. My prayers are going out to all the family involved and left behind. My deepest condolences.

SWJayhawk13 3 years, 6 months ago

When I went to re-new my DL last year, I was shocked. I watched a guy that had to have someone interpret English for him get his license, and I overhead a conversation between an examiner and a man that had failed the DL test four times previously. The examiner was explaining that if he failed it again, the guy would have to wait another six months before he could try and re-take the test. I'm sorry, but I don't think either of these guys should have been driving! I don't think it's fair to say that it's only young people causing accidents. Very clearly we have adults driving that aren't safe to be on the road. The tests for getting your DL needs to be much harder, and much stricter. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to drive, regardless of their age.

Jeff Kilgore 3 years, 6 months ago

We have certainly had our share of accidents in NE Kansas this year. Fatalities are really terrible. There are two facts that should be noted. As terrible as these deaths are, last year was the lowest total of car accident fatalities nationwide in something like 50 years. Also, in the next 20 years, computers will drive our cars for us and tragedies like these will be rare indeed.

But for now, the deaths of these two and the injuries of the children are unfathomably sad. There literally are no words for an event like this.

croutons 3 years, 6 months ago

well then, it's pretty clear that there needs to be a more stringent standard for dishing out driver licenses. seriously, any 19 year old kid can get a driver license; the "examination" is so dumbed down that only people that are senile or legally retarded won't pass it in the 6 or so attempts they allow. ridiculous.

You say "19 year old kids make mistakes". If you have to single them out as making these sorts of mistakes then they aren't ready to be behind the wheel. PERIOD.

WHY 3 years, 6 months ago

I guess LJW doesn't need to protect the people in this article. 50 year, the common factor is young drivers. 19 year old kids make mistakes. I doubt either accident was reckless behavior, most likely just a kid not focusing for a moment.

50YearResident 3 years, 6 months ago

We are sure having a rash of auto accidents this week. We need to find the cause to see if there is a common factor involved. I wonder if the 19 year old that crossed the center line was on his cell phone texting. I bet the older lady driver was not using a cell. Phone records should be the first thing investigated in auto accidents involving fatalities.