Archive for Friday, October 15, 2010

Salina Catholic diocese starts $15 million capital campaign

October 15, 2010

— The needs of retired and future priests have prompted the Catholic Diocese of Salina to begin a $15 million capital campaign — the largest fundraising campaign in the diocese’s history.

The five-year campaign, called “Yesterday, Today and Forever,” will raise money for the priest retirement fund, seminary education, Catholic Charities and a new strategic pastoral plan for the diocese.

“We’ve never undertaken anything this big in our diocese,” the Most Rev. Paul S. Coakley, Bishop of Salina, said Wednesday. “It’s ambitious but attainable.”

The campaign’s primary beneficiaries will be a fund for retired priests, The Salina Journal reported.

“As priests in our diocese have aged, we’ve drawn on that fund, and now it’s dangerously underfunded. If we kept going the same way, it would be exhausted in five years. That was the catalyst for us,” Coakley said.

It costs $1,980 a month to support each retired priest, he said. If the capital campaign goal is reached, $8 million will be allotted for the retirement fund.

Coakley said the diocese has already received about $2.1 million, including significant contributions from the diocese’s 38 active priests, eight international priests, Capuchin Franciscans of Ellis County and 22 retired priests.

For future priests, $3 million will be alloted for seminary costs. The average yearly cost for seminary education is $33,000, Coakley said. Another $1.25 million would be designated for Catholic Charities, with $250,000 of that for repair and renovation of the group’s headquarters.

And about $750,000 will provide parishes with expanded technology, electronic classrooms, and will strengthen family life ministries and other areas of church growth.

Comments

Elrond 3 years, 6 months ago

In the words of Sarah Silverman "Solve world hunger, sell the Vatican"

Elrond

TinkyWinky 3 years, 6 months ago

Eh oh, BTW, if you need work my friend is hiring laborers for $9 an hour. Thought it might help out before the holidays.

TinkyWinky 3 years, 6 months ago

tsk tsk tsk,

Still name calling. Didn't they teach you anything in Texas while you were growing up?

You still get no Tubby Custard. You can have the stale Tubby Toast, rats need to eat something.

LOL you are funny like a clown. You make me laugh. L for Love

TinkyWinky 3 years, 6 months ago

Eh oh Agnostick,

Still don't know why you feel compelled to name call and why do you think I am the boogey man. Last week I was Marion, the week before that I was barry penders, three weeks ago you called me patriotman, this week it is conservoman, what next week?

You really shouldn't name call, it is not in accordance with the LJW terms of use.

I am none of the above, you should just try to be civil and you might get somewhere in conversation. I am surprised you are allowed to participate. I am relatively new here, but I already see that you are a cyberbully.

Tom is more familiar with your posting history, I'll take him at his word that you are not a good person, not honest, and a hypocrite.

No tubby custard for you.

Agnostick 3 years, 6 months ago

right_thinker, the "centrist" is here:

I've told you this several times, going all the way back to your original username here. I can show you the books--but you have to do your own homework. No one can do it for you.

The numbers are interesting, aren't they? It took me 5 years to build up those 7500+ posts; meanwhile, you've made 30-35% more posts in about 50% less time. A bit obsessive-compulsive, aren't you? ;)

I was raised in a Catholic household, and left in the early '90s. It started as a slow, gnawing sense of doubt and dissatisfaction of it all--when the James Porter scandal broke, I kicked it to the curb, for good.

And please, I'm gonna die of laughter if you bring up that bit about being "even-handed" again.

Your claims that I stick up for "muslim extremists" is false. Produce the evidence. Neither you nor antisecularman can prove anything. I asked the troll to produce any research, statistics, etc. for his claims, and all the troll can come up with is "Data is difficult to find because it is hidden so well." What a sad, twisted little man that is.

Sticking up for atheists? I suppose I have. If they're not trying to force their beliefs on me, why not live and let live?

I find it even more disturbing that a grown man (or woman) likes to run around the Internet impersonating a character from a television show marketed to, and produced for toddlers. Unhealthy obsession with children, TinkyConservativeman? Is your vodka talking to you again?

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

TinkyWinky 3 years, 6 months ago

Agnostick, why do you continue to name call? Clearly you are in violation of the terms of use. When you respect others, then dialogue can become civil. But until such time you are creating an atmosphere of hate and partisanship. You are the problem.

No tubby custard for you, name calling is a lazy persons method of communication.

Agnostick 3 years, 6 months ago

Too bad you don't have any stats to back up your assertions, TinkyTroll. :)

"Data is difficult to find because it is hidden so well?" roflmao!!! Please, do keep searching for that which does not exist. It's fun to watch you twist in the wind!

TinkyWinky 3 years, 6 months ago

Eh oh Agnostick,

I was wondering which rube would be the first to chime in about or allude to child molestation. You win. Like Godwin's Law there should be something about the mention of "Catholic" and how soon a child molestation post appears.

Certainly there is no excuse for the less than 1% of 1% of priests that engage in this behavior. It is however surprising that the media doesn't focus more on teachers. Data is difficult to find because it is hidden so well. Teachers are in a position of authority and power over their students and use that power as much as 10%. More interesting is the much higher propensity for non union teachers and particularly non union women to engage in pederasty. The highest group are female teachers, non union, married, with one child, child is a daughter, and they are at the top of their profession in certifications and awards.

Terrible what is going on in public education.

Agnostick 3 years, 6 months ago

Agreed, consumer1! Cash in a little gold, sell a painting or two.

Bernie Law(less) could personally deliver the check, maybe visit his buddies in Boston while he's stateside... ;)

consumer1 3 years, 6 months ago

The richest oganization in the world wants more money for it's retired priest? Imagine that???