Archive for Thursday, October 14, 2010

KU police report student raped in parking lot near 14th and Ohio streets

KU police are investigating a reported rape near the intersection of 14th and Ohio Streets. The incident happened Wednesday morning.

October 14, 2010, 7:22 p.m. Updated October 14, 2010, 7:22 p.m.

Kansas University police are investigating a rape that occurred this week in a campus parking lot.

Police said the incident occurred between 2:30 a.m. and 3:10 a.m. Wednesday, in parking lot No. 100, which is near 14th and Ohio streets.

A female KU student told police that after leave The Wheel, she was raped by an unknown male, who she described as having a medium build and possibly being white, police said.

In a crime alert, the campus police department encouraged students to be aware of their surroundings, to stay on lighted pathways and to avoid taking shortcuts behind buildings and through parking lots.

"It's not just about watching out for you, it's about watching out for everybody," Captain Schulyer Bailey said, KU police. "If you go out in a group, go home in a group."

Recent KU graduate Elise Higgens said this latest incident should send a clear message to officials that a lighted pathway is needed in the area.

"The city needs to make creating that lighted pathway a top priority and so does the University of Kansas," Higgens said. "Student leadership and city leadership really need to work together soon to make the lighted pathway happen."

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call KU's Public Safety Office, at 864-5900, or anonymously to the Crime Stoppers hotline, at 864-8888.

Comments

Bob Forer 3 years, 10 months ago

Has the planned lighted pathway for this area been constructed yet? Seems to have been quite a bit of violent attacks in this area over the last few years.

pizzapete 3 years, 10 months ago

There needs to be a greater police presence in that area at night, that's for sure.

Danielle Brunin 3 years, 10 months ago

I'd be looking at whether this was related to the Lawrence/Manhattan serial rapist case. Was last weekend fall break for KU? I know this happened on Wednesday, but maybe the perv is trying to throw people off a bit. It fits the pattern and description of the perp.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 10 months ago

This is fall break, starting today.

kansasredlegs 3 years, 10 months ago

Just as former Chief Olin intimated when asked a similar question about a disimilar crime, -- The only serial rapist at work here is Cereal Malt Beverage.

Ladies, the apartment complex across the street from The Wheel used to house registered sex offenders. Don't make yourselves such easy prey by dulling your senses with CMB.

lilygrace 3 years, 10 months ago

Kansasredlegs, you don't know that "CMB" was involved from this story. The woman could have been an employee of The Wheel. Sexual predators are always scanning for their next prey regardless of the time of day or location. I was mugged and groped on a college campus on a beautiful summer morning between spring and summer semesters. I was working on the campus and picking up a printing order when a student I had seen a few moments earlier surprised me from behind and attacked me. I did not notice anything unusual about this guy's appearance as I saw him coming out of the Registrar's office except that he was barefoot (deliberately barefoot as I soon found out). He saw that I was alone between two buildings and silently ran up behind me because I couldn't hear is bare feet on the sidewalk. Fortunately, I was not injured but he just as easily could have slit my throat instead of just groping me. I was able to identify the creep to police detectives, although nothing happened to him (a whole other story). These deviants will find an opportunity no matter what. A person can do all the "right" things to protect oneself to try to lower your odds of coming into contact with someone like this or surviving an encounter but sometimes it is only by mere happenstance that you and a criminal deviant collide in the universe.

dumbkansans 3 years, 10 months ago

Curtis Lange 3 years, 10 months ago

Lived down in that area for three years with no issues whatsoever, then my apartment was broken into less than a month before moving. So glad to be out of there and in a more "adult" part of town now.

Ken Lewis 3 years, 10 months ago

Hmmmm. In a car....on the ground...in the weeds. Where exactly. Raping someone out in the open would be pretty risky. And she does not know the race or skin color of the attacker.

Anyway, the KS Attorney General is not concerned. He is busy setting up stings on Backpage to support a political agenda.

kernal 3 years, 10 months ago

Didn't know you fancy yourself to be a mind reader as well as every thing else that makes you "he that knows all".

he_who_knows_all 3 years, 10 months ago

Don't make fun of my brother Colonel.

lilygrace 3 years, 10 months ago

The woman could have been assaulted by the person coming up from behind her so she might not have been able to see anything much of anything in the dark making it difficult to state clearly of what race the attacker was. When you are being assaulted, your sensorium changes from fear and surprise. I know of what I speak. Do you? This incidence should not be made light of in any way, shape, or form.

ToriFreak13 3 years, 10 months ago

Shining a light on the sidewalk would never have stopped this from happening. Education..whether it be self-defense or knowledge of Safe-Ride. We were taught the buddy system in kindergarten. At that time of night, and that location, there should have been plenty of witnesses that saw something.

van999 3 years, 10 months ago

she left he wheel, not the hawk. DA

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

My heart breaks for the woman this happened to. Talking about lighting and self defense may help to keep it from happening again but it does little for the victim of the moment. She was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sending my strength and hoping she heals.

kernal 3 years, 10 months ago

Landlords need to quit renting to registered offenders, especially in the student ghetto.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 10 months ago

I read the words "leaving The Wheel" to often on these things.

BrianR 3 years, 10 months ago

The Wheel itself has nothing to do with this, it's the neighborhood. If The Wheel happened to be off Wakarusa, then you wouldn't see this pattern.

Hoots 3 years, 10 months ago

The ABC needs to check the wheel way more often. Fake ID's times too many to count and they need to go to The Cave as well.

IslandContributor 3 years, 10 months ago

ToriFreak13 3 years, 10 months ago

Elise Higgens get a clue! That incident proves nothing! That area is lit up like the Plaza at Christmas. Stop preaching ignorance and start campaigning the college for a safety class during freshman orientation discussing safe-ride and that is not just for when you are drunk. Put posters in the dorms like the ones discouraging drunk driving! Express that it is vital to your health to be extra alert and protective that late at night in any town. Do not waste money on lipstick for a pig! She was in a parking lot...not on the main street anyway! Offer free self defense classes in the state of the art athletic facilities or recreation center. A light is not going to stop someone from committing a crime. I am sure they can find stats to prove this, and of course once again she wasn't on the proposed lighted path anyway. It has amazed me how many times I have seen girls and guys walking alone in various spots of town. We can't hold everyone's hand through life or put lights everywhere an egotistical human being chooses to roam.

sandrat83 3 years, 10 months ago

Kupd is crap lpd is a joke. Why can't the sheriffs office run the city and the county. Them boys do there job. Never seen much bad pr on dcso but crap always on kupd and lpd

DillonBarnes 3 years, 10 months ago

Haha, You mean there is more stuff happening where 80% of the population of Douglas Co. lives. Amazing! I also heard it gets wet in places where there are rain clouds.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 10 months ago

What have KUPD and LPD done to make you so bitter? Were you arrested for something?

Scott Morgan 3 years, 10 months ago

Lawrence

We welcome all legally kicked out of other nearby cities and towns. Give me cheap housing, give me help in finding work even though I don't want to, give me those gooders suffering from Libguilt, give me a police dept. who believes whatever I give for an excuse for being drunk at 3 A.M., Give me those who preach soft penalties for criminals before it happens to them,

Give me Lawrence 2010. Let me dream of Lawrence 2015.

Is crime rising?

Hoots 3 years, 10 months ago

I would agree. I see it every weekend and I'm amazed. Ask the Lawrence Fire Dept/ KUPD? LPD how many times they respond on any given Thurs-Sat night to kids in distress due to alcohol. I wish the LJW would do a story on the numbers. These kids put themselves in great danger in the spirit of just having fun. It's sad that no one seems to care. If you saw what I've seen you'd be alarmed. Drinking heavy has a whole new meaning in todays world. Just watch the Movie Haze on Hulu. Paints a true but limited picture of the real story on campus today. http://www.hulu.com/watch/62974/haze

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

Hey KU police how about using some dough for late night foot and bike patrols throughout the known student areas. KU students provide a ton of money = job security so why not provide them with more foot patrol security and lots of lights. Late night foot patrol officers would be more likely to hear a scream.

AND KU police know rape takes place wayyyyy too often.

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 10 months ago

Having lived in that area for a while, I know that there usually is a heavy police presence at that time (when the bars close). But they can't be in every dark corner of every parking lot. Even if there was a lighted pathway built already, it wouldn't be through a parking lot belonging to KU. There's not enough information in this story to know what might have prevented this crime, but what it comes down to is, if someone's wanting to rape someone, they'll find a victim no matter how many safeguards are in place.

trinity 3 years, 10 months ago

my darling baby girl lived at 14th&ohio for a while...even tho she had a huge measure of ornrey in her, she didn't have any problems there other than two idiots in a fight knocking the mirror off her car, once. my heart goes out to the girl who was raped. please, young'uns&old'uns alike, be aware...be careful...and whoever does these sorts of things to others? i hope your cajones shrivel&fall off, your little wanker, too.

Madd_Mike 3 years, 10 months ago

Gonna blame Topeka for this one?

kernal 3 years, 10 months ago

Hadn't thought of it until you brought it up!

Shardwurm 3 years, 10 months ago

The first step in preventing attacks is not putting yourself in a position to be vulnerable.

1. Be aware of your surroundings.
  2. Bring a friend.
  3. If you must be in a sub-optimal situation carry mace or another means to protect yourself.

I am so sorry for this young lady...but this was a preventable tragedy.

As I tell my kids: "Play heads-up life."

ToriFreak13 3 years, 10 months ago

I also understand safe-ride is usually quite busy during these times, but they should think about have a roaming car looking for these students wandering alone and offering rides. If nothing else it puts another mobile set of eyes out and about the campus instead of a group of cars hanging out around the union.

Shardwurm 3 years, 10 months ago

No one is excusing the rapist...but we're intelligent enough to know that you will never purge the planet of criminals. Therefore we are addressing ways to minimize vulnerability. GENIUS!!!!