Archive for Thursday, October 14, 2010

KU police report student raped in parking lot near 14th and Ohio streets

KU police are investigating a reported rape near the intersection of 14th and Ohio Streets. The incident happened Wednesday morning.

October 14, 2010, 7:22 p.m. Updated October 14, 2010, 7:22 p.m.

Kansas University police are investigating a rape that occurred this week in a campus parking lot.

Police said the incident occurred between 2:30 a.m. and 3:10 a.m. Wednesday, in parking lot No. 100, which is near 14th and Ohio streets.

A female KU student told police that after leave The Wheel, she was raped by an unknown male, who she described as having a medium build and possibly being white, police said.

In a crime alert, the campus police department encouraged students to be aware of their surroundings, to stay on lighted pathways and to avoid taking shortcuts behind buildings and through parking lots.

"It's not just about watching out for you, it's about watching out for everybody," Captain Schulyer Bailey said, KU police. "If you go out in a group, go home in a group."

Recent KU graduate Elise Higgens said this latest incident should send a clear message to officials that a lighted pathway is needed in the area.

"The city needs to make creating that lighted pathway a top priority and so does the University of Kansas," Higgens said. "Student leadership and city leadership really need to work together soon to make the lighted pathway happen."

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call KU's Public Safety Office, at 864-5900, or anonymously to the Crime Stoppers hotline, at 864-8888.

Comments

Steven Gaudreau 3 years, 6 months ago

Let's blame Wheel and Lawrence Park and Rec who built the bike path off k-10 where a girl was attacked. Close the Wheel and the bike path. We should also close any apt. complex where rape has occured which almost all of them. Close all parks and any street where an attack happened too. Let's blame everyone except the scum bag rapist. GENIUS!!!!

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 6 months ago

1. KU parking lots, all inadequately lighted
  2. tThe entire oread area from Arkansas street , 9th to 17th, to Kentucky needs trees REMOVED and every tree trimmed.
  3. A lighted pathway will do no more than the fancy lights across from the Oread INN, they don't lite up diddly squat.

What to be done?

City Commission needs to put Foresty into the area asap. KU Parking services which is a rip off to students needs to drop a dime or two and install real street lights in parking lots. (of course the city lots downtown are lighted any better, with burned out bulbs and trees growing over the light fixtures:"

But hey, Lawrence has a pretty Main Street! Go figure.

ToriFreak13 3 years, 6 months ago

I also understand safe-ride is usually quite busy during these times, but they should think about have a roaming car looking for these students wandering alone and offering rides. If nothing else it puts another mobile set of eyes out and about the campus instead of a group of cars hanging out around the union.

Shardwurm 3 years, 6 months ago

The first step in preventing attacks is not putting yourself in a position to be vulnerable.

1. Be aware of your surroundings.
  2. Bring a friend.
  3. If you must be in a sub-optimal situation carry mace or another means to protect yourself.

I am so sorry for this young lady...but this was a preventable tragedy.

As I tell my kids: "Play heads-up life."

Madd_Mike 3 years, 6 months ago

Gonna blame Topeka for this one?

trinity 3 years, 6 months ago

my darling baby girl lived at 14th&ohio for a while...even tho she had a huge measure of ornrey in her, she didn't have any problems there other than two idiots in a fight knocking the mirror off her car, once. my heart goes out to the girl who was raped. please, young'uns&old'uns alike, be aware...be careful...and whoever does these sorts of things to others? i hope your cajones shrivel&fall off, your little wanker, too.

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 6 months ago

Having lived in that area for a while, I know that there usually is a heavy police presence at that time (when the bars close). But they can't be in every dark corner of every parking lot. Even if there was a lighted pathway built already, it wouldn't be through a parking lot belonging to KU. There's not enough information in this story to know what might have prevented this crime, but what it comes down to is, if someone's wanting to rape someone, they'll find a victim no matter how many safeguards are in place.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 6 months ago

Hey KU police how about using some dough for late night foot and bike patrols throughout the known student areas. KU students provide a ton of money = job security so why not provide them with more foot patrol security and lots of lights. Late night foot patrol officers would be more likely to hear a scream.

AND KU police know rape takes place wayyyyy too often.

Hoots 3 years, 6 months ago

I would agree. I see it every weekend and I'm amazed. Ask the Lawrence Fire Dept/ KUPD? LPD how many times they respond on any given Thurs-Sat night to kids in distress due to alcohol. I wish the LJW would do a story on the numbers. These kids put themselves in great danger in the spirit of just having fun. It's sad that no one seems to care. If you saw what I've seen you'd be alarmed. Drinking heavy has a whole new meaning in todays world. Just watch the Movie Haze on Hulu. Paints a true but limited picture of the real story on campus today. http://www.hulu.com/watch/62974/haze

repaste 3 years, 6 months ago

Alcohol makes things worse.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence

We welcome all legally kicked out of other nearby cities and towns. Give me cheap housing, give me help in finding work even though I don't want to, give me those gooders suffering from Libguilt, give me a police dept. who believes whatever I give for an excuse for being drunk at 3 A.M., Give me those who preach soft penalties for criminals before it happens to them,

Give me Lawrence 2010. Let me dream of Lawrence 2015.

Is crime rising?

sandrat83 3 years, 6 months ago

Kupd is crap lpd is a joke. Why can't the sheriffs office run the city and the county. Them boys do there job. Never seen much bad pr on dcso but crap always on kupd and lpd

ToriFreak13 3 years, 6 months ago

Elise Higgens get a clue! That incident proves nothing! That area is lit up like the Plaza at Christmas. Stop preaching ignorance and start campaigning the college for a safety class during freshman orientation discussing safe-ride and that is not just for when you are drunk. Put posters in the dorms like the ones discouraging drunk driving! Express that it is vital to your health to be extra alert and protective that late at night in any town. Do not waste money on lipstick for a pig! She was in a parking lot...not on the main street anyway! Offer free self defense classes in the state of the art athletic facilities or recreation center. A light is not going to stop someone from committing a crime. I am sure they can find stats to prove this, and of course once again she wasn't on the proposed lighted path anyway. It has amazed me how many times I have seen girls and guys walking alone in various spots of town. We can't hold everyone's hand through life or put lights everywhere an egotistical human being chooses to roam.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 6 months ago

I read the words "leaving The Wheel" to often on these things.

kernal 3 years, 6 months ago

Landlords need to quit renting to registered offenders, especially in the student ghetto.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 6 months ago

My heart breaks for the woman this happened to. Talking about lighting and self defense may help to keep it from happening again but it does little for the victim of the moment. She was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sending my strength and hoping she heals.

ToriFreak13 3 years, 6 months ago

Shining a light on the sidewalk would never have stopped this from happening. Education..whether it be self-defense or knowledge of Safe-Ride. We were taught the buddy system in kindergarten. At that time of night, and that location, there should have been plenty of witnesses that saw something.

Ken Lewis 3 years, 6 months ago

Hmmmm. In a car....on the ground...in the weeds. Where exactly. Raping someone out in the open would be pretty risky. And she does not know the race or skin color of the attacker.

Anyway, the KS Attorney General is not concerned. He is busy setting up stings on Backpage to support a political agenda.

Curtis Lange 3 years, 6 months ago

Lived down in that area for three years with no issues whatsoever, then my apartment was broken into less than a month before moving. So glad to be out of there and in a more "adult" part of town now.

dumbkansans 3 years, 6 months ago

rodentgirl16 3 years, 6 months ago

I'd be looking at whether this was related to the Lawrence/Manhattan serial rapist case. Was last weekend fall break for KU? I know this happened on Wednesday, but maybe the perv is trying to throw people off a bit. It fits the pattern and description of the perp.

Bob Forer 3 years, 6 months ago

Has the planned lighted pathway for this area been constructed yet? Seems to have been quite a bit of violent attacks in this area over the last few years.