Archive for Thursday, October 14, 2010

Holland calls on Brownback to denounce Engle

October 14, 2010

— Democratic gubernatorial candidate Tom Holland on Thursday called on his Republican opponent, Sam Brownback, to denounce Lou Engle, a controversial anti-homosexual minister, whom Holland compared to Fred Phelps.

"I am calling on Sam Brownback to formally denounce Lou Engle -- not just `some' of his statements -- but his entire message of violence, hate and bigotry.

"Lou Engle sounds a lot like Fred Phelps," Holland said referring to the anti-homosexual preacher known for his protests at the funerals of soldiers killed in war. "But the difference is unlike Fred Phelps, Lou Engle lived with Sam Brownback in Washington, D.C.," Holland said.

Brownback, a U.S. senator, shared a condominium with Engle for seven months. Engle has gained a reputation for his opposition to gays and abortion.

Earlier this year, Engle went to Uganda while that country was considering legislation that could have resulted in the death penalty for some gays. Engle's critics said Engle praised those legislators who were pushing for that law. Engle has said his position was misunderstood.

In December, Brownback participated with Engle in a "PrayerCast" in which participants prayed against the passage of federal health care reform. Brownback has also spoken at rallies with Engle, and Engle had once said that Brownback would become president. Brownback ran for the Republican Party nomination for president in 2007 but was unsuccessful.

In recent days, Brownback has said he disagreed with some of Engle's statements. On Wednesday, he said he hadn't spoken to Engle for several months. Brownback said in the past he worked with Engle on measures that called for apologies for the treatment of Native Americans and African-Americans.

On Thursday, Brownback's campaign said the senator stood by his statements from the day before. E-mail messages left for Engle by the Lawrence Journal-World have not been returned.

Holland also said Brownback should say whether he would, if elected, continue an executive order established by former Gov. Kathleen Sebelius that bans discrimination in executive state agencies on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. Brownback has said he will review all executive orders if elected. Holland said he supported the executive order.

Comments

HMcMellon 4 years, 2 months ago

If Brownback, Phelps, Engle, Schmidt and other right wing crazies take over our State government, Kansas will be seen as a bugger joke than it already is!

Funny, how all these radical right wing fanatics like Brownback and Schmidt are running hundreds of television commercials every evening and nobody knows where the money is coming from. I'm a life long conservative Republican, but the ideas being advanced by Phelps, Engle, Schmidt and Brownback do not represent my values.

think_about_it 4 years, 2 months ago

"I'm a life long conservative Republican"

Ummm yeah, sure you are Mr Holland. How 'bout you buy your own advertising and stop trolling the ljworld.

HMcMellon 4 years, 2 months ago

You think I'm Tom Holland? LOL Why is it that extremists are so paranoid and delusional? I have never met Tom Holland. I know very little about him. My family is Republican, not Democrat. I have been registered Republican since the first time I voted. When I first joined the Party, I campaigned vigorously for Barry Goldwater, who believed strongly in keeping religion out of government.

As a loyal Republican, I still believe in traditional values of limited government and fiscal responsibility. As a loyal Republican, I am vehemently opposed to the big-brother-government ideas of so-called "social(ist?) conservatives" like Brownback. As a loyal Republican, I was also against Brownback's support of borrowing $1.3 trillion from the Chinese Communists.

It sickens me that the corporations who moved to China and stole our jobs and killed our manufacturing are now paying Brownback millions of dollars to run hundreds of television commercials each day to get himself and other extremists like Schmidt into power.

Crackpot extremists have no business in our Party. Politicians who have proved themselves to be fiscally irresponsible have no business in our government. Turning our government into a police state to promote the extremist views of Brownback, Phelps, Schmidt and Engle is not what my Republican Party is supposed to be about. I hope all my fellow Republicans will support the principles of our Party and not vote for these extremists.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 2 months ago

Honey, let me clue ya in. The GOP is no longer Grampa's Ol' Party. The GOP of Barry Goldwater is NOT the GOP of GWB or Sam Brownback. There was a time when the GOP would have reacted in horror to the idea of inserting religion into politics. They honored the concept of separation of church and state and kept it holy. That was the realm of the Dixiecrats, most of whom have now deserted the Democratic Party and joined the GOP.

HMcMellon 4 years, 2 months ago

Most racists and homophobes used to be Democrats. Homophobic and racist traditions for Democrats go back to the civil war. The "last straw" for many was the Civil Right Act . After that, they started changing parties. II believe it was wrong for my party to welcome these people. We should have encouraged them to join the Nazi Party. Great men such as Lincoln and Eisenhower are the heart and soul of the GOP. The idea of executing homosexuals, like Brownback's good friend supports, is against our Party's principles.

If Phelps still considers himself to be a Democrat, it is not because he supports Holland over Brownback. I'm sure everyone in Fred Phelp's family will vote for Sam Brownback. No question about that!

BigDog 4 years, 2 months ago

Maybe Tom could have came to the debate to express this .... instead calls the press to whine. He is starting to sound like Anthony Hensley ..... make whiny statements any time the press will talk with you instead of being a leader with ideas and solutions to problems. Not saying that would win the race for him but I am sure it would get hime more support than the tactics he is using. People want to hear what you are going to do .... not well I am not Sam Brownback won't you vote for me.

I am sure Senator Holland has friends who have bizarre opinions also .... some probably in the Kansas House and Senate.

think_about_it 4 years, 2 months ago

I am calling on Tom Holland to formally denounce Barack Obama -- not just `some' of his statements -- but his entire message of socialism, hate for The United States and bigotry.

HMcMellon 4 years, 2 months ago

You probably ought to keep your mouth shut if you want Brownback to win. Otherwise, people will know that it is extremists like you who support him. Speaking of socialism, seeking to set up a fascist, big-brother police state to control personal behavior is the same as spitting on the graves of the brave men and women who fought and died to preserve our freedom and democracy .

purplesage 4 years, 2 months ago

Pastoral staff at Senator Holland's own church hold some pretty extreme, liberal views. Mind you, not all of them, but there are some, one in particular. Jeremiah Wright serves as an extremist pastor associated with politicians.

He has a lot of nerve, failing to show up in a capitol city TV station debate opportunity. WIBW should not give him personal attention..

Godot 4 years, 2 months ago

And I call on Holland to denounce George Soros, Moveon.org, ACORN and Al Gore, Extremists, fanatics and eco/financial terrorists, all whom I have hard Holland praise.

HMcMellon 4 years, 2 months ago

Holy crap! There is a big difference between calling for the execution of homosexuals and any of the mostly unproven allegations against the people and organizations you mention. You are not helping Mr. Brownback with a ridiculous post like that!

HMcMellon 4 years, 2 months ago

That picture was taken 30 years ago, when Phelps was at a Democratic gathering and lined up with hundreds of others to have his picture taken with Gore. It was taken long before Phelps started picketing funerals and long before Brownback's best friend started called for the execution of homosexuals. It is hilarious that you think you can convince people with that picture that Al Gore supports Fred Phelps. Yeah, sure. LOL

HMcMellon 4 years, 2 months ago

vermont 4 years, 2 months ago

Holland does not support Cap & Trade. Holland is a very moderate democrat who used to be a republican until the party went nuts because of people like you and Brownback.

think_about_it 4 years, 2 months ago

HMcHolland will do and say anything to defeat our next governor, Mr. Brownback.

vermont 4 years, 2 months ago

i dont understand, holland isn't the one who lived with LOU ENGLE for 7 months in DC -- Brownback is.

vermont 4 years, 2 months ago

a Brownback administration would destroy Kansas...can't wait to be the laughing stalk of the nation again.

BigDog 4 years, 2 months ago

Most likely ..... Holland will win Douglas and Wyandotte

Beyond that not likely

HMcMellon 4 years, 2 months ago

The only jobs Brownback knows how to create are jobs in China and Mexico. It is impossible to imagine Brownback creating jobs in Kansas after he supported the fiscally-liberal, irresponsible and disastrous Bush policies, which increased the unemployment rate from 4% to 10% and caused the values of our homes and retirement funds to plummet

The issue goes beyond Republican or Democrat. I look for two things in a candidate: First ,I consider the kind of experience the candidate has had. Secondly, I want to make sure I can trust that he/she intends to represent ALL the people in Kansas, not just a vocal, extremist minority.

I trust Holland and believe he has the kind of experience we need in a Governor in these times. He is a successful small business person who knows what the real world is like outside of the Washington beltway.

Brownback doesn't have a clue about anything other than sticking his pseudo-pious, Koch-head nose up the butts of born-again Chinese Communists and obscenely-wealthy Saudi Arabians.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 2 months ago

Why would Brownback denounce Engle? By doing so, he would be enoucning his own views and would alienate many of his political supporters.