Archive for Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lawrence Zombie Walk takes over downtown

Zombies gather for instructions before making a scary stumble along Massachusetts Street Thursday night, Oct. 7, during the fourth annual Lawrence Zombie Walk. Participants were asked to bring donations for the Humane Society, local food banks and homeless shelters.

October 7, 2010, 7:28 p.m. Updated October 7, 2010, 9:40 p.m.

It took Tina Gordzica about 15 minutes to go from the living to the undead Thursday night.

Transformation to the living dead

Tina Gordzica prepares for the 2010 Lawrence Zombie Walk in this time lapse video. Her zombie makeup took about 15 minutes. Enlarge video

Downtown Lawrence overrun by zombies

The annual Zombie Walk took over downtown as more than 300 people turned to fake blood and gore for their weeknight entertainment. Enlarge video

Gordzica was one of hundreds of Lawrence residents who turned out for the fourth annual Lawrence Zombie Walk downtown.

"I'm excited," Gordzica said. "I have an affinity for zombies."

The horde that gathered in South Park before the walk began appeared to share the same passion for the living dead. The noisy crowd was filled with tattered clothing, face paint and spare body parts. Soliciting fake blood was an all-too-common occurrence within the group.

When those returning from the dead were ready, they made their way down Massachusetts Street to the delight, and sometimes horror, of people lining the sidewalks to watch.

L. Marie Avila of Lawrence sat on the steps of the Douglas County Courthouse with her 5-year-old son, Dameako, to watch the show. After seeing the walk advertised on a flier, she decided the event would be an entertaining way to spend the evening.

"It's interesting to see the people in character," Avila said. "It's like a piece of haunted house right here in downtown Lawrence."

Dameako showed his excitement by practicing his own zombie walk wherever he could find space.

Gordzica brought her 15-month-old daughter, Alyssa, along for the show. The young zombie, complete with face paint and a pink skeleton outfit, looked ready to fit in with the scariest of the pack.

“I hope she thinks they’re funny,” mother Gordzica said. “I think she’ll have fun.”

The numerous zombies came with a variety of personalities. Some were fearsome and interacted with onlookers while others took a more docile approach, aimlessly meandering down the sidewalk.

Amanda Wells of Lawrence and her three children were dressed in classic zombie attire. She said their approach to zombie-ness was straightforward.

“Just dead,” Wells said of their style. “We were just going for the good, old, cyanotic dead look.”

The walk, which took the undead from South Park to Seventh Street and back, provided more than entertainment for the community. For the second year in a row, the event also served as a way to collect items for the local food and homeless shelters and the Lawrence Humane Society.

The solid turnout of an estimated 350 people had many of the zombie walkers looking forward to next year. First-time zombie Kary Decunha held his zombie dog and looked at the crowd.

“It impresses me,” Decunha said. “I think everyone loves zombies a little bit.”

Comments

David Lignell 4 years, 2 months ago

Maybe this is footage from Missouri? :-)

yankeevet 4 years, 2 months ago

they are all jayhawk zombies; for sure........u can tell by the way they walk; sort of limping along...........

bearded_gnome 4 years, 2 months ago

"chek back for updates" scarey! Zombie updates!!!! run away!

besides, we don't need updates, the political debate is aired live!

[rim shot]

David Lignell 4 years, 2 months ago

And maybe the cats will join in after their schooling by the corn huskers? ;-)

verminiusrex 4 years, 2 months ago

The official count was 377, with people joining on Mass Street rather than in the park you can estimate about 400 walkers.

lesleydiane 4 years, 2 months ago

"Soliciting fake blood was an all-too-common occurrence within the group."

...seriously? This sentence was allowed to be published?

lesleydiane 4 years, 2 months ago

"Soliciting fake blood was an all-too-common occurrence within the group."

...seriously? This sentence was allowed to be published?

fester0420 4 years, 2 months ago

why do yall alway gotta complain about how its worded its just a fun story and you guys just gotta pic it apart. go get a life

Alice-Ann Darrow 4 years, 2 months ago

Sorry! I agree. I read that line and thought....why was that necessary?

cgordzica 4 years, 2 months ago

buddy jesus, back from the dead...perfect

Wijoselewis 4 years, 2 months ago

One of these zombies pulled off my glasses, scratching them on the sidewalk. I had motioned to him not to touch me.

Sigmund 4 years, 2 months ago

All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're at an impasse here, maybe we should compromise: If you open up the doors, we'll all come inside and eat your brains. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlznu... Re: Your Brains, by Jonathan Coulton

lily 4 years, 2 months ago

My family went for the first time as well. Most of the "zombies" were entertaining and fun to watch. The ones we saw weren't aggressive. If one had gotten a little too personal or taken my glasses as stated above, they would have been hauled to the nearest police officer. We didn't get right up in the middle of them so maybe that's why they left us alone. I appreciated that they were made to obey the crosswalk.

George_Braziller 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh lighten up and quit being such a grump. It was a fun event that people of all ages participated in. It was early enough in the evening I even saw a few toddler zombies with mom and dad zombies. It sounds like you could benefit from loosening the waistband on your granny panties and having some mindless fun.

Alice-Ann Darrow 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey George! Did you not read her last sentence. Geez!

gatekeeper 4 years, 2 months ago

It was a blast. Very glad I went to watch. Was impressed with how many people really played it up. Might have to join them next year.

schula 4 years, 2 months ago

I was downtown for diiner with a friend and we decided to hang around and see the parade. It was the first time I had seen it and it was a lot of fun.

lilygrace 4 years, 2 months ago

My granddaughter and I were Zombies last night. We had a great time. The reactions we got from other Zombies and parade watchers to our costumes was worth the effort. I'm already thinking about what kind of a Zombie I'm going to be next year.

ilovelucy 4 years, 2 months ago

It was a ton of fun. There were a lot of great characters. I especially liked the zombie family of 5, the "brains" vendor and Jean Ann Pike. What a great turnout! I don't think it's been this big before.

George_Braziller 4 years, 2 months ago

I was in front of the Courthouse but I wish I had been a couple of blocks down so I would have had more time to really see the masses coming down the street. It was very impressive.

scopi_guy 4 years, 2 months ago

Cool!

They're coming to get you, Bar-ba-ra...

Reuben Turner 4 years, 2 months ago

sounds pretty lame to me; folks can just make stuff up..

BigPrune 4 years, 2 months ago

Not to sound like an old fuddy duddy, but I would NOT take my 5 year old or my 15 month old kid down to the zombie walk, because it would scare them - for any of you youngsters who couldn't figure out the reason why.

George_Braziller 4 years, 2 months ago

Do you take them to the St. Pat's Parade? What's the difference? I think a shirtless drunken man who has painted his body green would scare them more.

Arana 4 years, 2 months ago

It actually isn't that bad. From year one there have been kids in and watching the zombie walk. There were actually tons of children this year, and while a few were a little nervous most were just taking in the sights. Most children I see at the Zombie Walk have a blast, moaning, groaning, and wearing make up... It is kinda like having two Halloweens minus the candy.

Jay Keffer 4 years, 2 months ago

Amazing how many of the zombies pictured seem to need glasses. Once you are dead, do glasses still help?

Sigmund 4 years, 2 months ago

Heya Tom, it's Bob, from the office down the hall. Good to see you buddy, how've you been? Thing have been O.K. for me except that I'm a zombie now. I really wish you'd let us in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlznu... Re: Your Brains, by Jonathan Coulton

mr_right_wing 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh.....so that's what was going on!!

Here I figured they were trying to recreate Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

I figured it was some kind of anniversary of the video......

Arana 4 years, 2 months ago

I've done the zombie walk for four years now, and it is a fantastic experience. It brings together people of all age groups to just have a little fun for one night and be silly. While there will be rule breakers unfortunately, most of the people around me were well behaved zombies. A peaceful demonstration proving that we zombies do not just want to eat you brains. Dead people need friends too.

asbury 4 years, 2 months ago

It looks like it was fun...and a fundraiser as well.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 2 months ago

.....just head on downtown any Friday or Saturday night....it's always the same.