Archive for Thursday, October 7, 2010

Injuries detailed in Lawrence child abuse case

October 7, 2010

New information surfaced Wednesday in court about the injuries of two children a 29-year-old Lawrence man is charged with beating in September.

Amy McGowan, a chief assistant Douglas County district attorney, told a judge the 6-year-old child in the case was allegedly choked. The defendant, Bradley W. Ford, is accused of beating the 6-year-old child on Sept. 22 and two days later beating an infant who was 6 weeks old at the time at Ford’s home in the 200 block of Pinecone Drive, southeast of 19th Street and Haskell Avenue. He’s also accused of injuring the infant on Sept. 20.

Douglas County District Judge Michael Malone was considering a request from defense attorney Elbridge Griffy to lower Ford’s $100,000 bond. Griffy said Ford would agree to live with his parents in Osage City and have no contact with children if released while charges are pending.

Officials also have said the 6-week-old baby had broken bones.

Ford faces two child abuse charges, and he faces an aggravated battery charge stemming from an allegation he “caused great bodily harm” to the infant on Sept. 20.

McGowan also told Malone the infant is Ford’s child. She said Ford was not the father of the 6-year-old child, but the two children have the same mother.

Malone denied the defense’s request on the bond reduction but said Griffy could bring the request up again later. Prosecutors are expected to present evidence at a preliminary hearing 9 a.m. Oct. 22.

Comments

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 6 months ago

"Because children have more flexible chest walls than adults do, their ribs are more likely to bend than to break; therefore the presence of rib fractures in children is evidence of a significant amount of force..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rib_frac...

An interesting article about abuse and bone fractures; rib fractures are missed many times in x-rays. Rib fractures of infants tend to occur during violent shaking of the infant. http://www.radiologyassistant.nl/en/43c63c41ef792

Hotheaded 3 years, 6 months ago

Judges until it happens to your family??? Nooooo, that's not the case here. The fact of the matter ..there is no way on Gods green earth that someone could beat my children..not once but THREE times and I would know nothing about it. I believe that you trusted what this person told you because ohmy gosh who would want to believe a father could do this and just as bad that the mother could turn the other cheek. Im not for a second condoning what the father did..but as I said before..he is getting his punishment and hopefully help right along with it. But come on, you have to see she deserves punishment and help as well. These two will forever be parents to these children..biological at least..he will obviously have to take some anger management and other other therapy..along with whatever sentencing the court decides..but what she should just walk off and raise her kids with no repercussions...because she didnt actually do the beating? Now that sounds like a crock of crap to me. A mom isnt just the one who pushed you out..she is your advocate..your PROTECTOR...I would rather live with a pack of wild dogs then a mother who would stand by and not protect me. Yea, she sounds real great to me..real mother of the year material.

KcSlumper 3 years, 6 months ago

Come on Judge lower that bond....I'll pick him up and give him the ride of his life.....ok so that's not going to happen, I hope he doesn't come out of prison upright.
For the mother, she needs her tubes tied and then charge her right along with the POS. There is no way she did not know!

vlreed 3 years, 6 months ago

No she wasnt home for any of them. and i do believe she didnt know anything. she is hurting from this too. you think you should of seen it but you didnt. everybody judges until it happens to your family

ckgmom 3 years, 6 months ago

Well apparently my comment was removed for violation, so I'll just say this....the mother was not home when the events occured b/c she chose to engage in other activities, those of which included various libations.

whats_going_on 3 years, 6 months ago

started acting funny and they told her she was just spoiled

uhhhhhhhhh, what kind of quack does she see? I've never heard of a pediatrician or ANY doctor saying this type of thing. And clearly, a doctor would notice something if the mother actually didn't.

Sounds like you're being fed a huge fat lie.

Hotheaded 3 years, 6 months ago

So, the mother wasnt home for the abuse, or wasnt home for several days? I believe the papers say there were 3 separate occasions abuse took place. She really didnt know anything about this? I dont judge you as their neighbor for not knowing what was going on..we dont always know what goes on behind our neighbors doors.

vlreed 3 years, 6 months ago

i live by these people, and i can tell you that this guy does not look or act like he would do this, so you never can tell. and no the mother was not home at the time these things happened. she did take the baby to the doctor when the baby started acting funny and they told her she was just spoiled. when in fact she had 2 broken ribs. you should not pass judgement on something that you dont know anything about. my child played with the 6 year old daily and we didnt know this was happening.

ckgmom 3 years, 6 months ago

jackbinkelman 3 years, 6 months ago

Beating a 6 month old only makes it cry and scream more... Or is this person simply a sadist?

Hotheaded 3 years, 6 months ago

I have not read anywhere that this was an ex. Looks as though they all shared the same address. In my opinion, a man threatens my kids or myself...isn't that more reason to leave? Im saying..when you have kids your first responsiblity is to protect your kids. I understand if a man hurts a woman and she is frightened to leave for fear of what he will do to the children..but if someonehas hurt your child and you dont protect your child the INSTANT you are aware...you are every bit as guilty as the abuser. Furthermore, I have a hard time thinking that the mother was abused because I think charges would have been brought forth for that as they have been for the child abuse.

Azure_Attitude 3 years, 6 months ago

I agee the mother is also responsible for leaving the children in his care, but what if he was threatening the mother as well? Did he threaten to kil her or all of them if she told or left. How often do we see on the news where a guy decided to kill the ex, and most of the time the kids too? She very well could have been threatened in to some level of compliance.

acg 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree with hotheaded. When I leave for work/store/errands or what not the first thing I do when I come home is hug and kiss the kids, chat with them about their day, etc. When they were babies, I would grab and snuggle and kiss and hug them tight (because you miss being away from them the most when they are tiny). If my 6 week old baby had broken bones, I would've known about it. There would've been obvious signs of pain and distress. How do you not recognize that problem and seek medical attention for your baby? It seems to me that what happens a lot (and I'm not saying it's definitely what happened here so don't go off on me) is the woman is more worried about losing her man than what may be happening to her children.

Hotheaded 3 years, 6 months ago

My thoughts are...as a mother I can tell if something is wrong with one of my children. It says in these articles that the instances of abuse did not all happen on the same day. So at the very least is she not an accessory? Is this not neglect or endangerment on her part? Why am I blabbing the mother? Well, I blame both the mother and the father. But, it looks as though the father is already being punished as the court see's fit...but then what? Does the mother just get to go off and act as though she is innocent? It sickens me when I feel the system only does a half a$$ job.

proudmom 3 years, 6 months ago

She knew!!! It will all come out in time but you can't NOT know when your baby has broken bones and a six year old beat and strangled and not know. Even "if" she was at work or away while it took place, she came home to it and remained with the children in the house!!! She should have taken them and ran after the first situation with the 6 week old. You don't leave your children in danger. Who knows if this was even the first time that the 6 year old had to endure this kind of treatment!

haggisgirl 3 years, 6 months ago

I haven't read anything that said the mother was involved or even there when the incidents happened. Perhaps she was working or at the grocery store or in school. I've seen nothing that says she was even aware that it was happening. Why are you blaming her?

Hotheaded 3 years, 6 months ago

I have read a few articles about this case and my question is...where the H#LL was the mother??? Why are we not hearing anything about her being brought up on endangerment charges at the very least? That is bullarky!

pagan_idolator 3 years, 6 months ago

A 6 week old infant with broken bones. Truly sickening.