Archive for Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hostile K-State awaits NU

October 7, 2010

— Maybe Kansas State’s marching band should forgo its traditional “Wabash Cannonball” for something more fitting, such as “So long, it’s been good to know you.”

At Bill Snyder Family Stadium tonight, the dying hours of a 99-year relationship will start running out.

Among other things for Kansas State (4-0), the nationally televised game is a chance to jump high into the rankings and give running back Daniel Thomas’ Heisman hopes a boost. For seventh-ranked and Big Ten-bound Nebraska (4-0), it’s the first leg in a not-so-fond farewell tour of Big 12 schools the Huskers are leaving behind.

Expecting a huge crowd, Kansas State warned fans to arrive early.

Maybe Nebraska needs a warning, too.

More than 50,000 resentful Kansans will occupy those seats, most of them fully aware that Nebraska’s decision to defect to the Big Ten came close to dealing their school a horrible setback.

So now, with a collision of unbeaten teams and a running back averaging 157 yards per game, Kansas State would love to boot the haughty Huskers out the door of the Big 12 with a big loss to remember them by.

“They’re good fans, but they’re also very classy people,” Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said. “I would think they are going to treat our football team the right way.”

Snyder admits he didn’t want to see the Huskers go.

“I’m disappointed and saddened by Nebraska not being in the conference. There’s just so much history there, so much tradition,” he said.

Comments

LogicMan 4 years, 10 months ago

KU Jayhawks everywhere are cheering for the Wildcats this day!

DaBellaDaBall 4 years, 10 months ago

And not this one. If KSU never wins again, it will be okay with me. The vulgar abuse subjected on myself (and many others) while walking to my car after last year's game was typical of people of the purple ilk. Bo Pelini is obviously measuring his words carefully. Any NU, KU, UT, MU or OU fan will attest to the fact that these are nasty, classless, and hateful people who live in fear that others view them as peculiar by-products of the barnyard. It has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Pound Purple!

buddy2me 4 years, 10 months ago

What a stupid comment! You will always have a bad apple in the bunch, but you can not say that all the KSU fans are nasty and classless! Also there have been letters to the editors from fans this year that have visited Manhattan for games and they have nothing but the best to say about them. Please don't tell me that your KU fans are so great, NOT! Been to many games here and they are rude, and disrespectful to not just fans of the other teams, but to fans of their own. No get off your high horse and come back to reality!

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

not this one either... I can't support ugly people. Go herbie husker! pound those kittykats

buddy2me 4 years, 10 months ago

Wow, this is a real classy comment. Sure hope you are a MU fan not a KU fan since dabell... thinks KU fans are so classy. This comment shows how some KU fans are really nasty

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

oh c'mon buddy2me, its not like I hate kittykats-everybody knows the pretty people go to the big University to get the big degree..we still like little brother just fine. Now missouri, yeah-hate 'em

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

Looks like T-magic is running all over the purple D.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

wow. another 80-yard touchdown on 3rd and 10?
I dunno what the huskers are gonna do to KU, but I'm sure it will be just as bad.

CHEEZIT 4 years, 10 months ago

Why would any KU fan root for KState? Yea we are so upset that Nebraska is leaving our league. Talk about fans, I once got in an argument with an elderly Big red fan because she thought we didn't have enough buses to get her big behind back to her SUV because they all had to stay until the end of the game because KU almost upset their precious team!!!

fancy80 4 years, 10 months ago

I'll admit that I VERY seldom root for the Mildcats, but I did want them to give Nebraska a double "you're number 1" sign (with both middle fingers), knowing full well if K State could pull out a win, I'd never hear the end of how K State is having another "miracle season" from my purple clothed co-workers. Looks like that's not going to happen and I don't think I'll lose much sleep over it. I hope we get some things straightened out by the time we go up there for the final game. I'd like for someone from Kansas to say "Thanks alot Cornhuskers, for being cry babies and ruining the big 12....take this Crimson and Blue boot in your a$$ with you when you go to the big 10.

BruceWayne 4 years, 10 months ago

LJW-care to print a retraction on that headline? EGIN!

GUMnNUTS 4 years, 10 months ago

I guess Synder does not like to swear either.