Archive for Wednesday, October 6, 2010

McLouth football player Trevor Roberts confident he’ll pull through in wake of leg amputation

Trevor Roberts rolls away in a wheelchair under his own power after a news conference Wednesday at Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. With him are his guardian Lisa Humerickhouse, center, and his girlfriend, Kelsey Campbell, of McLouth, at right. Turner Gill recently contacted the teen and invited him to be on the sidelines during the KU vs. K-State game.

October 6, 2010

McLouth football player has leg amputated after accident during game

Trevor Roberts is now in the hospital after he injured his leg during a football game. He went home, but had to return when they noticed his leg was decaying. Enlarge video

From left, Trevor Roberts, Lisa Humerickhouse and Jerrad Humerickhouse talk with the media during a press conference Wednesday, Oct. 6, 2010 at KU Hospital. The 17-year-old McLouth High senior football player lost part of his left leg after suffering a compound fracture during a game on Sept. 24. The leg subsequently contracted gangrene.

How to help

A fund designed to help Trevor Roberts pay medical bills and other bills associated with his injury has been established at First State Bank and Trust, which has locations in Lawrence at 609 Vt. and 3901 W. Sixth.

Trevor Roberts remembered thinking at first that the injury would mean no more football this year. He said he didn’t initially realize it meant he’ll have to miss basketball and track, too.

After a compound fracture suffered in a football game got infected with gangrene, the McLouth High senior had his leg amputated on Thursday.

But, sitting by his two legal guardians as his girlfriend looked on, the 17-year-old Roberts was the one doing most of the smiling as he fielded questions from the media on Wednesday.

After three surgeries in five days, he said he was scared when he was told by a doctor his infection could mean he’d lose either his leg or his life.

Just like being down in football, though, he knows his recovery from this point on will take mental and physical toughness.

“It’s pretty much the same with this,” Roberts said. “I know I’ll pull through. Everything will be OK.”

The wide receiver and cornerback had been having a pretty good day on the field before suffering his injury. He’d returned a kickoff 80 yards for a touchdown, and had added two receiving touchdowns on top of that, accumulating 193 total yards in the first half.

He still didn’t know whether he’d be released in time to take his place on the McLouth High School homecoming court for Friday night’s homecoming game.

Roberts and his two guardians — Lisa and Jerrad Humerickhouse — thanked the community for the outpouring of support they’d received, from the cards, visits and signs people have made.

“I’ve broken about all the rules,” for visiting hours, Roberts said, saying he’s had people stopping by his room until midnight sometimes.

Lisa and Jerrad didn’t hesitate when asked who the strong one was; they quickly pointed in Roberts’ direction. He’s been the one who makes his visitors laugh, they said, and who’s been quick to put everyone at ease.

“I appreciate it all,” Roberts said of the support he’s received.

Comments

PikesPeakJhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I just read with great sadness the story of Trevor Roberts injury. I must say to you, Trevor,that you are a remarkable young man with a full life ahead of you. As another reader posted, the prosthetics that are out now ARE AMAZING!! i unfortunately witness this on a daily basis as I live on a military installation. Sure,you will have a long road ahead of you,but the love of your family,friends, and total strangers will be what sustains you. I look forward to hearing about your progress as I just now discovered that my husband's sister and her family are friends with your wonderful family.Great things are headed your way...sure, you will go through some hell along the way. I suspect it will make you stronger,if that's possible. But, I know with the love and support of those around you,NOTHING WILL STOP YOU! Good luck to you.

Lene 4 years, 7 months ago

Trevor, You sound like such a wonderul kid! Best wishes to you now and for always! I hope to continue to hear about your progress! My best wishes and prayers are always with you!

mr_right_wing 4 years, 7 months ago

So how many lawyers have visited this family with $$ sparkling in their eyes??

cal12345 4 years, 7 months ago

No doubt a traffic jam in town. "Lawyers" the single biggest reason that Healthcare costs and Insurance premiums are skyrocketing. Thanks Democrats for killing Tort Reform- I can't wait for November to get here!

Mike Slack 4 years, 7 months ago

I personally feel I must respond because comments like this ones why I consider commentary sections on such stories, or possibly even newspapers entirely, to be needless. Such stories aren't meant to incite debate, but to show the actual beauty humanity still has to offer in our times and possibly inspire others.

However, it seems every article such as this is turned into a right v. left political debate by one or the other. I don't recall any issue of this young man being denied any right he deserved due to one party's action or the other ever being mentioned

Why to attempt to ruin something inspiring, with a dissertation of a personal agenda with no relevance to the story. If it comes out he was denied treatment due to his insurance status, then feel free to flame on with political comments.

Suck it up people, leave the debate for where it matters, and maybe even try to be half the person, this 17 year old man is.

P.S. To sadly get political, cal12345: It's been established that tort reform by the Congressional Budget Office (non-partisan group) would at best save maybe a Nickel on the dollar in healthcare costs. And don't we all now that amount of money is the difference between

cal12345 4 years, 6 months ago

Harry, thanks for joining in from D.C.

volunteer 4 years, 7 months ago

Why was McLouth playing a game five miles from Wichita?

BruceWayne 4 years, 7 months ago

I am not thinking about lawyers,football, or where the game was played. I am thinking about this brave young man Trevor Roberts. I first heard about this last Friday night at the Perry Lecompton game. I thought about it all weekend, wondering how I would have handled this so many years ago as a 17 year old. It appears Trevor is a great kid that is focusing on the future. Nothing but support here for Trevor and his family.

chicago95 4 years, 7 months ago

Why have we not seen a story describing gas gangrene, its rarity or prevalence, and explaining how a kid treated in a modern hospital can contract it?

DillonBarnes 4 years, 7 months ago

Because LJW isn't your mommy and daddy, sometimes you have to do a little research on your own.

tyson travis 4 years, 7 months ago

This looks like a strong young man with a good attitude, and with the advances made in recent years in prosthetic technology, he'll get through it OK, although it will take a lot of effort from himself and his family. This whole story sounds like something out of the Civil War, where they just amputated the extremity if you suffered a bullet wound. I also may be naive, but I thought the KHSAA mandated medical coverage through the school districts, partly paid for by activity fees paid by the participants, to cover the expenses of something like this. The family shouldn't have to pay any of the medical expenses, the only thing in question should be any recovery from the hospital due to any negligence concerning the infection.

salad 4 years, 7 months ago

No kidding, I saw this on the news last night and couldn't believe it. This really sucks for Trevor; how does this happen in a modern hospital?!?!

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 7 months ago

Seriously. Infections happen, but how does it turn into gangrene without being caught? Did it happen that fast or what?

Hudson Luce 4 years, 7 months ago

Lawrenceguy40, Obama's health care plan had nothing to do with the medical care Trevor got. That's right, nothing. Right now we've got a totally for-profit model being used for the provision of health care, and it is that model which has failed. Remember Trevor got kicked out of the hospital 2 days after a titanium rod was put in, and sent home, and it was at home where he contracted the gas gangrene and it wasn't caught until too late. If he'd been kept in hospital, with regular dressing changes, they would have had a lot better chance at catching it in time, and they would have had a fighting chance to save the leg. But insurance industry policy, to minimize payout for medical care, is to insist on as short a hospital stay as possible, which means that lots of people like Trevor are being denied necessary medical care in order to fatten the bottom line of the insurance company. It's the for-profit, third-party-payer system that's the failure that's responsible for this 17-year-old being crippled for life; socialized medicine as in France or Germany would be a distinct improvement.

Lindsey Buscher 4 years, 7 months ago

yeah, i think lawrenceguy40's post should get a nomination for dumbest post of the year. There is socialized medicine in this country, but that is not what Trevor has.

salad 4 years, 7 months ago

"As I have posted before, conservatives do not care at all about the poor or about ordinary Americans. They only care about control"

-fixed

TheYetiSpeaks 4 years, 7 months ago

I guess you'll be going as an a-hole...as per usual?

garyr 4 years, 7 months ago

You are a DB. You must be new here. Last Login 10.07.10. This story has been nothing less that life changing. What a strong willed, inspirational young man. He will affect many people, and alot of people can learn from this great kid. Especially you. Take some lessons!!

TheYetiSpeaks 4 years, 7 months ago

What a refreshing young man this is. He is remaining so amazingly upbeat it's impossible not to be impressed with him. Seneca once wrote, " a man is as miserable as he thinks he is." It would seem Mr. Roberts has heeded this warning. Circumstances happen to us all (some worse than others) but in the end we all control our own happiness. This story made my day. Thank you sir. My prayers will be with you and your family but something tells me you are going to be just fine.

garyr 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm glad that perons post was removed, what a DB. Obiously, they must be new here. Last Login 10.07.10. This story has been nothing less that life changing. What a strong willed, inspirational young man. He will affect many people, and alot of people can learn from this great kid. Especially that heartless person. Take some lessons!!

Kristine Bailey 4 years, 7 months ago

Recipe for Disaster: Broken bone sticking out through the skin, rubbing on the field. Metal used to fix bone, wound closed. Sent home to another city.

Daniel Kennamore 4 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like he has the right attitude. With how far modern prosthesis have come, he'll be 'on his feet' in no time.

sunnybrook1952 4 years, 7 months ago

I am not privy to how his case was handled in Wichita and will reserve judgement on the staff there. Not only did he get released too early, but he had to travel from Wichita to Mclouth to get home just 2 scant days out of MAJOR surgery. It's no wonder that he suffered complications.

I have had numerous orthopedic surgeries since 1990 and NEVER was released from the hospital in under 5 days. During the time that I was there, they had me on IV antibiotics to prevent ANY infection...and my surgeries were not due to a bacterial riddled injury on a football field. Then upon release, they instructed me to go straight home and get in bed. They were concerned about the time it took me to get to my house from St. Lukes in Kansas City to my home in Olathe. It's only a twenty minute drive. They are concerned with blood clots if you are in a car for too long. I know that gas gangrene is from bacteria, and that had nothing to do with a car ride...just one more observation as to how insurance companies are the real medical professionals and not the Doctors that have their hands tied and are slaves to insurance.

This wonderful young man deserved to be able to stay in the hospital, and be monitored around the clock for infection in light of the fact that he suffered such an injury on a football field full of bacteria. There they would have been able to recognize the first sign of anything adverse going on with that leg, and if he had stayed at the hospital, they could have had him on massive doses of IV antibiotics from the minute he was admitted until they were certain that infection had not set in. I am sure that this will be review by the medical board, and I pary to God that they change their policies appropriately.

My heart and prayers go out to this wonderful family and their loving son. My grandaughter goes to Mclouth, and I know that this has been a sad time for all involved. God speed Trevor.