Archive for Tuesday, October 5, 2010

KU men’s basketball second in preseason Big 12 coaches poll

For first time in conference history, K-State picked to win league crown

Kansas head coach Bill Self watches the action from the bench during the second half, Thursday, Nov. 19, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

October 5, 2010, 10:26 a.m. Updated October 6, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

Big 12 basketball coaches believe Kansas University’s string of six straight league championships will be snapped in 2010-11.

Big 12 coaches poll puts KU second this basketball season

K-State received the most first-place votes. Enlarge video

The Jayhawks placed second to Kansas State in the league’s preseason coaches poll, which was released on Tuesday morning.

The Wildcats received 10 first-place votes and totaled 119 points. KU landed two first-place votes and garnered 109 points. Texas (99) and Baylor (96) placed third and fourth respectively, followed by Missouri (82), Texas A&M (69), Texas Tech (52), Oklahoma State (51), Colorado (46), Nebraska (31), Oklahoma (27) and Iowa State (11). Coaches were not allowed to vote for their own teams.

“Based on what K-State returns and the year they had last year, I voted for them to win the league as well,” KU coach Bill Self said.

KSU returns four starters off an Elite Eight team that won a school-record 29 games.

“I do like our team a lot. It is a goal of our team every year to win our league. Even though we are not picked to do that, we are going to work hard to try and achieve that. I do think the league will be as strong as it has been for the last few seasons with as much parity as there has been,” Self added.

KU was last picked to not win the league during the 2008-09 preseason, when the Blake Griffin-led Oklahoma Sooners were No. 1.

“A preseason poll is a preseason poll. It is not going to affect who is going to be there at the end of the year,” said KU senior guard Brady Morningstar.

“We’ve done our work the past six years. Obviously Kansas State is returning four starters from an Elite Eight team. They’ve done their work to be considered one

2010-11 Big 12 preseason poll

1. Kansas State (10) 119
  2. Kansas (2) 109
  3. Texas 99
  4. Baylor 96
  5. Missouri 82
  6. Texas A&M 69
  7. Texas Tech 52
  8. Oklahoma State 51
  9. Colorado 46
  10. Nebraska 31
  11. Oklahoma 27
  12. Iowa State 11

Comments

3 years, 11 months ago

Pre-Season #7 now #2 in Big 12, good luck Hawks.

Daniel Kennamore 3 years, 11 months ago

Aw...look, little brother is above us in a meaningless poll. How cute.

Daniel Kennamore 3 years, 11 months ago

It really doesn't. I think is adorable, because Kstate fans will point to this as something to be proud of...yet this march we'll once again be seeing KU above them in the standings.

emaw 3 years, 11 months ago

Will we see another early exit from the hawks come March?

BigAl 3 years, 11 months ago

Or another National Championship. I guess you wouldn't know about that.

puddleglum 3 years, 11 months ago

probably gonna see another big 12 championship trophy for the hawks..... wuzzzat? 7 in a row? I lost track

jonas_opines 3 years, 11 months ago

Should be a good conference season this year again. It's nice having a rival that can. . . well. . . rival us.

TrueJayAlltheWay 3 years, 11 months ago

not only that, but 2 teams from the north, and 2 teams from kansas, lovin it

Bob Forer 3 years, 11 months ago

Gotta hand it to Frank Martin. A lot of folks laughed when he was named head coach. Time for those folks to eat a little crow. "Coach Martin is the real deal," says a poster above. Absolutely. While I am a tried and true Jayhawk, I look foward to a revived Sunflower rivalry we have not seen since the days of Jack Hartman.

TheOriginalCA 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree. The reason why people laughed, though, was because Michael Beasley demanded that Martin be hired as Head Coach and he dictated the decision. Martin is a tyrant during games but I genuinely like the guy and I love to hear him talk basketball. Maybe Michael Beasley should be the AD at KSU because it turned out to be a helluva decision and possibly better then the AD himself would have made..LOL

Bob Forer 3 years, 11 months ago

They also laughed because most of his career experience was coaching HS in Florida, although he had spent the previous six years as an assistant in the college ranks, with the last two years under Bob Huggins. It was like "Frank who." Anyway, he seems to have come out of nowhere. yes, he is a tyrant during games, but I think his players truly have much affection for him, and he obviously is a great recruiter. I betcha he'd be a lot of fun to have a few beers with.

Danimal 3 years, 11 months ago

Should be a good year and K State will be very tough, but I don't see how any intelligent person could pick them #1 in the conference.

readytoroll 3 years, 11 months ago

Well Bill Self and 9 other B12 coaches picked them......

Daniel Kennamore 3 years, 11 months ago

Bill Self can't vote for his own team under the rules of the poll.

readytoroll 3 years, 11 months ago

Indeed...that'd be why he voted for the cats.

sparky1958 3 years, 11 months ago

nooooo he voted for the cats cause he knows how good they'll be.

Bob Forer 3 years, 11 months ago

Do not underestimate Frank Martin and the Wildcats. I am a 40 year Jayhawk fan, but I admire what he's done in the short time he's been at K-State. Don't let your dislike for K-State cloud your judgment. Remember, they are Kansans, too, and I will always root for them unless they are playing us. Anything less reinforces the Snob Hill myth, which has some basis in fact.

BigAl 3 years, 11 months ago

I assure you sir that I do not know of any KSU fans that root for KU in anything. And I do like Frank Martin but just because you root for them, doesn't mean that I have to.

The statement "Anything less reinforces the Snob Hill myth, which has some basis in fact ", is simply a big batch of KSU whining. You can call it Snob Hill myth if you want. I call it an obvious case of "little sister syndrome".

buddy2me 3 years, 11 months ago

BigAl, you must not know many KSU fans, because I am a KSU fan and I am from Lawrence,KS, live here, went to LHS here, but left to attend KSU, came back to live with my husband here in Lawrence, KS. There are a ton of KSU fans that support KU when we are not playing each other. There are also a lot of KU fans that support KSU when they are not playing each other. Grow up!

BigAl 3 years, 11 months ago

I stand corrected. I now know one KU fan that supports KSU (TheSychophant) and one KSU fan that supports KU (buddy2me).

I will do my best to grow up.

rorik23 3 years, 11 months ago

Colorado and Nebraska have two of the worst basketball programs in the Big 12.

Will Babbit 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm thinking he was being facetious...

CLARKKENT 3 years, 11 months ago

HEDLEY--ARE YOU TALKING BOTH FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL? OR ARE YOU TALKING JUST BASKETBALL? [SMILE]

Armen Kurdian 3 years, 11 months ago

Good, something to make them sad when they don't end up #1.

Kansas State shall be destroyed. We shall destroy them! DESTROY THEM ALL!!!!

Jeannie Merritt 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm going with the Jayhawks until someone unseats them. Wildcats will be good but they lost alot wih Clements gone. Pullen won't have the year he did last year w/o Clements in the back court with him.

Jayhawks win the league by two games.

pfeifer 3 years, 11 months ago

One has an "e" and one has an "s." Also, one was a star basketball player for KSU and led them to the Elite Eight, while the other has done nothing of the sort.

BigAl 3 years, 11 months ago

Has Kansas won like 6 Big 12 Championships in a row? The law of averages says someone else HAS to win it sometime. Kansas is still the basketball power in the Big12 if they win it this year or not. Kansas State may very well win it this year. Last year, KSU had one of their best seasons EVER and KU still beat 'em 3 times.

No one, not even Kansas, can win their conference every year. But, you can bet that if Kansas doesn't win it, they will be in the hunt.

By the way, I like Frank Martin also.

Eride 3 years, 11 months ago

Your statistical reasoning is flawed.

whats_going_on 3 years, 11 months ago

All of you saying KU will be #1 and they'll all be laughing.

Put your foot in your mouth and quitttttt jinxing it.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 11 months ago

Not the greatest of freshman class coming in. Selby was about it. And KU does not have a top-100 player in 2011 (yet)

independent_rebel 3 years, 11 months ago

The Sporting News annual really dissed Coach Self this year. They show lists for various categories (best player, best defender, the coach most likely to get a technical, best coach, best recruiter) for each major conference.

For example, The Sporting News selected John Calipari of Kentucky as both the best recruiter (I'd agree as he's slime) and best coach in the SEC. I'd not select him as the best coach, but the media sucks on Calipari's teet.

Every major conference, and all the mid-majors that I could tell, have a head coach listed as the best recruiter....except The Big 12. The Sporting News dissed Coach Self and listed Joe Dooley as the best recruiter. Yes, Dooley is an assistant at KU, but seriously, they chose not to list Coach Self?

Frank Martin was their choice as the best coach in The Big 12. Martin is a fine coach, but seriously? They don't pick Coach Self. He's only won a national championship and finished first almost every season he's been a head coach in both the Big 10 and Big 12, while taking three programs to the Elite Eight in the NCAA tournament.

Last season there was an pre-season basketball annual that showed a painting of Roy Williams in boxing gear, standing over a knocked-out Coach K, the headline delcaring that the battle is over, and UNC has knocked out Duke. The story went on to say that Duke is down and out and won't recover. What happened? Roy's "boys" were poorly coached (defense anyone?) and had a poor season, and the dead Dukies (much to my horror) won another national championship.

What does all this mean? I don't know. I was just bored and wanted to post something that Merrill would have no interest copying and pasting his usual crap...although I'm sure that someway, somehow, Merrill would tie Bush/Cheney and the Tea Party to the dissing of Coach Self.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 11 months ago

Self has made "only" one final four, but he did make it count. You just can't talk up his coaching ability after that last game. John Calipari is slime, and Self is not willing to go there, so he gets credit for that.

independant1 3 years, 11 months ago

Well done! Mission accomplished! No. 2 ain't so bad for a big 12 poll.

scraptown 3 years, 11 months ago

I think the average Kansas state fan is excited for the season, but they know preseason polls don't mean much... more than anything though, they look forward to not hearing, "wait til basketball starts!" from dejected ku fans when leaving football games.

CHEEZIT 3 years, 11 months ago

Yea KU"s not very good? Won the league the last five, oh wait we won last year too, six years. Over 2000 wins overall!!! As for the tournament, better to be invited to dinner and get a little to eat than to not be invited at all!!!

Kontum1972 3 years, 11 months ago

Coach Martin is the way he is because..he is a "Marine"

hammerhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I like Coach Martin but not enough to wish him or his team well. Actually, I wish I didn't like the guy as much as I do. But it is so easy not to like the little apple in anything.

I don't think that those pussycats from up the river will win the last real Big 12 Basketball Championship because the MIGHTY KANSAS JAYHAWKS will do that. Again.

By the way.... PUT THE NAMES OF THE PLAYERS BACK ON THE FOOTBALL UNIFORMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not too happy with the new football coaching staff.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Whatever clorox. Get a life and a clue. KSU or MU troll!!