Archive for Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity members to live in box for charity

October 5, 2010

Kansas University’s chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity will host its semi-annual TKE in a Box charity event on Friday.

For 48 hours, fraternity members will live in a cardboard box house in front of Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway, to collect canned food and cash donations for the homeless. Fraternity members will be at the store from noon Friday until noon Sunday.

Food donations will benefit ECKAN’s Just Food pantry and cash donations will benefit the Lawrence Community Shelter.

During the past two years, the fraternity has raised more than $3,000 in food and monetary donations for the homeless.

Comments

Kontum1972 4 years, 9 months ago

will there be a pool for them to dive in? well it wont be far for them to walk from the club on 23rd street

garyr 4 years, 9 months ago

Not too sure I would call 2 - 3 hour shifts between frat buddies living. They're not staying there all night. The only way they are going to stay there all night is if they walk there after the bar and "go to sleep" (pass out). Again, not too sure I would call this living!

garyr 4 years, 9 months ago

"Like, do you have any cans of like food, so we can help the like food bank? Like we are trying to do this like community like service. And if you don't like give us any like food, we are going to like fight you. Because, like, we are a like fraternity, and therefore, we're like better than you. Rock on TKE!!!!!"

ggwalker 4 years, 9 months ago

Looks like Gary did not get invited to play in their reindeer games. Boo Hoo.

christy kennedy 4 years, 9 months ago

So far comments don't make much sense and aren't that funny. And whether or not TKE members are required to participate, or how much time they spend they're in the box, I don't know—but at least they're doing something, and it benefits the local food pantries that are very much in need donations of $ and food. What are you folks (above) doing?

jayhawkblue 4 years, 9 months ago

These young men should be encouraged and congratulated for doing something right for our community. And yes garyr they do stay in the "box" all night, just as they did last year in the cold pouring down rain, and accept donations for the homeless. These guys don't even have a fratenity house of their own but they still function on and off campus and set a good example. Take your loser attitude back to Columbia, Mizzo.

Kash_Encarri 4 years, 9 months ago

While I can applaud them for their efforts benefitting the food pantry I won't pat them too strongly on the back. While they were "in the box" they were able to run into the store to use the facilities and buy whatever they wanted. I also found it a bit funny to see the pizza delivery guy bring a late night snack to the group. The homeless, who's experience they are trying to relate to, don't have those opportunities. If the TKEs want to really have the experience, leave the sleeping bags at home. Don't have your billfold and credit cards with you. Live it all for a couple of days and then you can appreciate the efforts that much more.

lily 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't care if they spend all night or not. At least they are doing some good. The jokes etc are not supportive of the overall reason for this article. Load 'em down and make 'em haul a lot down to the food pantry.

garyr 4 years, 9 months ago

I pledged and was a member of KU Sigma Chi Chapter for 2 years. Starting my junior year, I could no longer watch the new pledges having to go through the same ridiculing hazing as I did, while the other members laughed, joked and abused (mentally and physically) the pledges. Two and a half years was enough for me. I am not ashamed to say I'm a Sigma Chi, but it does bring up some harsh feelings. A few times I stepped in and tried to help the pledges or stop my "brothers" from continuing the hazing, but all for nothing. When I got out of there, I took three of the pledges with me, and I have no regrets. So, say what you want, but until you are in my shoes, or have been in a fraternity, you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 9 months ago

I was in a house too and we had no hazing. I spent all four years in house and made some of my life-time friends there. In fact, the day I got married, 4 of my 6 groomsmen were also fraternity brothers. Every house is different and things today are much different than they were 25-10-even 5 years ago. Never rush to judgment. The TKE's don't even have a house and yet they find the time and energy to put together a philanthropy to benefit the ever booming homeless population here. Way to go guys, see you at Hy-Vee!

dj_chef_nguyen 4 years, 9 months ago

I support this response. However most replies here are quite distant from the point of this article. The TKE's have done this philanthropy before in the past, and this proves to be successful for them to do. I must say that this is something clever, so kudos to them. In addition to what you said Z, although the TKE's don't have a house anymore, it's good that they are taking the time and effort to form something to actually do something for the community. Not very many people realize it and it is often overlooked .

smot 4 years, 9 months ago

There are few things that get the LJW readers more in an uproar/ outrage than the discussion of the Greek system. There are a lot of haters. Just like most organizations, there are good and bad apples and good and bad actions. Some people enjoy the sense of belonging which Greek life offers. Stop trying to categorize all Greek members by your perception of what Greek life may or may not be like.

nobody1793 4 years, 9 months ago

Actually there are many things that get LJW readers in more of an uproar: Bicyclists Global Warming Athletic Directors Mill Levies Roundabouts Brownback Smoking Ban Dolph Jr. Yellow House K2 etc.

Don't worry though, there's plenty of hate to share with everyone.

thomgreen 4 years, 9 months ago

I applaud them for any effort they take towards something good. Apathy is by far one of the most dangerous aspects in our society. Every little bit helps.

Now, with that said, I do have to admit I was originally going to make a low ball joke referencing the SNL skit about a certain box, but lily changed my mind.

Being that I will be out of town during the time they are doing this collection, does anyone know where I can maybe drop off some stuff early to help in the drive?

slowplay 4 years, 9 months ago

Most of these childish responses come from people who have never lifted a finger to help others, but they are very good and posting idiotic comments anonymously.

DevsAdvocate 4 years, 9 months ago

garyr 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh, boy, here we go again!!!! Removal happy!!!!!

BruceWayne 4 years, 9 months ago

yeah, Slowbus brings out the best in people.

Danimal 4 years, 9 months ago

I've always thought that this fundraiser was in poor taste at best, and an outright mockery of poverty by the privileged at its worst. Seriously, they're only doing this because it's a way to get in some community service hours without having to work very hard. There are a lot of other ways to collect food for our local food pantries without parodying the people you're trying to help.

booyalab 4 years, 9 months ago

I doubt the people they're supposedly parodying feel the same way as you do. Getting easily offended is a privilege not "enjoyed" by people who don't have any of their real needs being met.