Archive for Monday, October 4, 2010

Gill says team policy on women not causing a negative reaction from players

Kansas head coach Turner Gill gathers with the team during spring practice on Sunday, March 28, 2010.

October 4, 2010

Kansas coach Turner Gill talked publicly about his team’s curfew policy Monday morning, saying he didn’t believe it was an issue on his team.

Jayhawk football with week off to regroup

After being dismantled by Baylor on Saturday, the Jayhawks will get a full week off to work on their game. KU will take on Kansas State in Memorial Stadium next. Enlarge video

As the Journal-World reported on Sept. 24, a rule in the KU football players’ manual states that KU’s players cannot be with women past 10 p.m. on any night.

“We’re just teaching them discipline,” Gill said Monday during the Big 12 coaches’ teleconference. “I’m not going to go into all the details of what we have on our team policies and all those things, but everything that we do is all about disciplining our guys and preparing them for life with football and preparing for them for life without football. It’s just part of our makeup.”

Gill was then asked if he believed the policy could affect recruiting.

“I guess it could, but we can explain (what it is),” Gill said. “It’s not that big of a deal. It’s really just a situation of trying to teach guys how to do things in the proper way and be respectful to women and be respectful to everything that we do in our society. It’s teaching people all about things about life.”

Gill said that he didn’t believe the policy had affected his players.

“There hasn’t been any negative reaction to anything,” Gill said. “We’ve just been inconsistent in playing the game of football, just like any other teams.”

Gill also was asked how he would feel if his college coach at Nebraska, Tom Osborne, had implemented a similar curfew policy when Gill was a college football player.

“How would I respond to it? Oh, it’s a policy that I understand what the purpose is,” Gill said. “I explained to (the players) what the situation was all about. That’s what it has been all about, and I explained to our players, and we’ve done things in the right way.

“I understand the situation, what you’re talking about, but again, we’ve explained everything to our players, and we’re teaching them about discipline and about life and discipline also with football.”

Comments

local_support 4 years, 7 months ago

What if the woman is a tutor? No homework help after 10 pm from a female? Or what if the player is working in a group and they are meeting late? I know that I did a significant amount of group work late at night since that was usually the only time when schedules didn't conflict.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 7 months ago

Yep, you are correct. This is not about discipline. It's about christian ideology.

If it were about discipline, it would be a 10pm curfew, period.

Specifying women is just silly and smacks of outdated christian school rules.

Gill should be more concerned with the product he is putting out on the football field. Maybe Gill needs to stay away from his wife for a while to get the discipline that is lacking in his coaching.

Silliness.

Ryan Shumaker 4 years, 7 months ago

no rule against a gay guy having dudes over

CLARKKENT 4 years, 7 months ago

HEDLEY--ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????????????

mattfrost22 4 years, 7 months ago

Silliness? Your point that Gill should be more concerned with the product he puts on the field than caring about his players is exactly the kind of thinking that teaches our kids to win at all costs, without regard to morals and ethics. Silliness? You're post is the very definition of the word.

Right or wrong, they knew what they were getting when they hired him and you should take it up with the people in charge if you think he is doing something wrong. Seriously, we are condemning a man for trying to teach something positive to young men? Find something else to whine about that is actually worthwhile. Just because something may have a religious foundation doesn't mean it should automatically be discounted because you have a "free mind". Kids need guidance and this man is teaching them to stand for something. Religious or not, that is what it means to be a man; to believe in something and be compassionate toward others. Go throw stones somewhere else.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 7 months ago

I have no problem with discipline and the cell phone ban. Heck, a strict 10pm curfew would be fine.

But to single out "no women" is just silly and smacks of christian ideas of the corrupting nature of women. Eve bit that apple, after all.

"Religious or not, that is what it means to be a man; to believe in something and be compassionate toward others."

I fail to see how restricting contact with women after 10pm is what it means to be a man. Plenty of trouble can be had before 10pm. You can actually have sex before 10pm.

True character is built by behavior through choice. Players must be taught to behave like men when no one is watching. Gill's method is restricting choice and is not character building.

BorderRuffian 4 years, 7 months ago

So let me get this right. If respecting women is Christian ideology, and since the general inference in your comment is that Christian ideology is undesirable at best and despicable in general, and further, that since Christian ideology ought to be rejected, therefore, the norm ought to be to have no respect for women in your self-serving, ideal-less "I'm OK, You're OK" little world?

Absolutely, let's endorse wholesale contempt for women in general and morality and respect in particular.

Laura Wilson 4 years, 7 months ago

And if a player is married? Because I know we've had married basketball players in recent years. "Sorry, honey, you gotta sleep on the couch". snort

Make it a curfew period or otherwise this is just way to 1950s and you know the guys are breaking this rule.

Ryan Shumaker 4 years, 7 months ago

blown out by Baylor (who set multiple records against us), loss to a D1-AA school, no girls after 10, no cell phones before gameday. How exactly are we supposed to win any recruiting battle? This is worse player abuse than Mangino...

dogsandcats 4 years, 7 months ago

Come on, a gay football player? Do you really think the team would allow that?

DevsAdvocate 4 years, 7 months ago

fact: 1 out of 11 people are homosexual. you do the math.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

heck, after the last football game maybe we tell the boys no girls at any time untill they get two wins in a row?

that'd work! can I get a $125,000 salary as a consultant too?

besides, it's all about preserving their precious bodily fluids [smirk] {note, this is ref conspircy theories and a movie or two}

John Kyle 4 years, 7 months ago

The women are trying to steal their 'essence'. I wonder if he lets them drink fluoridated water.

Brandon Devlin 4 years, 7 months ago

"A loss of essence." That's exactly what's happened to the KU football team. "Preverts."

handlon 4 years, 7 months ago

Git these boys their cell phones back and git 'em a gurl after 10:00pm and maybe we'll start a winnin.... yup

nobody1793 4 years, 7 months ago

Maybe he should ban players from playing like girls.

No disrespect to all the women linebackers out there, of course.

Jock Navels 4 years, 7 months ago

caught any lingerie league games on your cable yet?

cowboy 4 years, 7 months ago

whack job - start recruiting the new coach

CLARKKENT 4 years, 7 months ago

REALLY, THE BOTTOM LINE IS---THIS IS JUST A DUMB RULE.

garyr 4 years, 7 months ago

A dumb rule from a dumb coach for a dumb team. Face it, they're all worthless. No wonder no other confrences wanted us. We would bring them down. Probably couldn't even win a game in the Missour Valley this year.

kthxbi 4 years, 7 months ago

You are the Eeyore of the Lawrence Journal World's 100 acre wood.

Denny2009 4 years, 7 months ago

Pretty petty rule, I could see something like no being out on the town after 10PM leading up to gameday, but no women after 10PM On any night? Someone mentioned this being negative toward recruiting and they're correct, what young man would want that rediculous "structure" in their personal lives? There's a lot to be said about coaches being a "players coach," and typically football players will work harder and fight harder for a coach that respects their freedom off the football field...but within good taste. Obviously you can't have b-ball and football players brawling on campus..

dogsandcats 4 years, 7 months ago

What if a player is married or (more likely) has a long-term girlfriend?

4everahawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I agree with whoever said this is not teaching them life skills, it is trying to push his christian idealogy down their throats! He was not hired to be a life skills teacher - athletics department has people to do that - he was brought here to coach football and improve our athletes' football skills. I knew he was pompous and self-righteous, but clearly someone needs to tell this man he is making a laughing stock out of our team. The jokes have gone almost national about our Preacher Gill.

mom_of_three 4 years, 7 months ago

So I guess football players do not date during the season. Also hope their moms never come to visit.

WHY 4 years, 7 months ago

The fact that grown men let another man tell them when they can have sex should tell you a lot about KU football. If he is prepping them for real life he should ask himself whether any boss in any other field would ever tell an employee when to have sex.

slowplay 4 years, 7 months ago

It doesn't prohibit them from having sex. They just can't lay any pipe after 10pm.

WHY 4 years, 7 months ago

Which is why I included the word "when." Not only can my boss not tell me if I can have sex, he cannot tell me when. I wonder if the hours are 10-6 so the boys can get in a morning quicky.

WHY 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry to hear that. You need to find a new job.

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 7 months ago

Most of you are just so ridiculous. You are going to ridicule Coach Gill for trying to employ some self restraint and discipline on these guys ? This is the best thing i have seen regarding the KU football team in the past 30 years. It certainly beats the days when the athletes were out fighting and drinking and carrying on nightly...which has pretty much continued on throughout the athletic department and is, usually, quickly swept out of the media eye. My congratulations on Coach Gill being a stand up guy...and what exactly is wrong with that you complainers ?

mrbig 4 years, 7 months ago

From what I saw when I went to KU, a lot (not ALL before I get hateful comments) of the football/basketball players thought they were 'womanizers' and would have a different girl in their room at the towers every night. They also feel they can't get parking or speeding tickets or pay for their drinks or meals when they go out 'because they are basketball/football players'. They feel they are privledged to act however they want in Lawrence, because they play sports. KU even has a program set up to where someone from the Athletics dept makes sure that they actually go to their classes by sitting outside the door EVERYDAY before class. I think that teaching them values is a good thing.

gatekeeper 4 years, 7 months ago

That's all major univerisities, not just KU. A lot of jocks think they are the best thing on the planet. Trying to keep them from getting some after 10 isn't going to change that. It's going to kill our recruiting though.

DrRustinMcGillicuddy 4 years, 7 months ago

I respect Gill for stepping up and talking about some of the team policies, and I don't think that this is a big deal. Maybe we should look to Coach Leach for some advice, haha.

frank mcguinness 4 years, 7 months ago

"and preparing for them for life without football"

Because the team is so sorry they couldn't possibly play in the majors. What a GREAT recruiting tool too. Since our team is so bad and you won't get to play PRO ball I'm going to teach you how to live without football.

anonyname 4 years, 7 months ago

Do the math. 117 D-1 football teams, allowed 85 scholarships each = 9,945 athletes, not counting FCS, D-2, D-3, and NAIA (and yes, a few from those schools do get to the pros). NFL 32 teams x 53 roster spots each = 1,696 in the pros. Even if only D-1 players could play in the NFL, 82.9% of them are done after their college years. The lucky 17.1% will, of course, still have life after football, though perhaps addled by concussions, etc.

I'll be the first to agree this specific rule is lame, but the concept in general of preparing students for life after football is a good one.

mhenders 4 years, 7 months ago

The "lucky" group is even smaller, closer to 3% since not all pro spots turn over each year.

cozy 4 years, 7 months ago

WELL, I guess this was not in effect last year about this time....If I remember correctly, the basketball/football brawl-ordeal was over some skeezy 'woman'.

CLARKKENT 4 years, 7 months ago

COZY--KEEP THE "SKEEZY" WOMEN AWAY FROM THE TEAM AFTER 10:00. [SMILE]

cozy 4 years, 7 months ago

I would say that the overwhelming majority of ladies they come into contact with are skeezy/scandalous, it doesn't matter what time it is.

Jock Navels 4 years, 7 months ago

i played at a school in the early 60s where the guys in the athletic dorm had no rules, but the women in the women's dorm could meet men till 10 pm in the lobby or front porch, and be out till 11 on friday or saturday nights...i lived...i see the same posters who used to complain about 'thugs' and clubbing and fighting and womanizing and not going to class now whining about the fix. give it a miss, boys and girls, and give the man 4 years...actually, mangino's record is a pretty low hurdle...win 2 more games than you loose in however many 7 or 8 years total...win more than you lose in the conference about 12% of the time...and be the most undisciplined fat slob in all of football...right. we had jabba the hut talking to the reporter at half time on national tv...that's the embarrasment.

allgoodtoldya 4 years, 7 months ago

With all of the previous ignorant remarks, I wonder how many of you have even set foot in a football huddle. I have never heard such childish remarks in all my days. One week it's "oh wow" how good KU looks, and the next they are bums. It's hilarious!!!!

slowplay 4 years, 7 months ago

It's a silly rule, to be sure, but not over the top. It will not affect recruiting. The humiliating loss to Baylor WILL affect recruiting.

garyr 4 years, 7 months ago

Can the players hang out w/ Rosie Palm and her five sisters after 10 pm, or is that off limits too?

whats_going_on 4 years, 7 months ago

while we're at it, can we ban the sk*nks at KU from going after any and all jock meat they can?

Actually, can we just ban all sk*nks from KU, period?

cozy 4 years, 7 months ago

I just brought this up. When I say skeezy, this is what I am talking about.

They are working on their MRS degree by looking used up and trapping the guys with kids.

BruceWayne 4 years, 7 months ago

"it's just part of our make up" he says this 56 times everytime I hear him talk. Turner Gill is a JOKE. A joke played on us by Mr.Perkins.Sad part is he is not going anywhere for 5 years. KU is not about to buy out another coach. i said it the day they announced this TERRIBLE hire...dark days(5 years of them) ahead in the jayhawk nation."oh you need to give Gill a chance..." a chance to what? show us he can't win? he showed that at Buffalo...Perkins was allowed to hire a losing coach and now we are all in shock? what did you expect? Put the names back on the jerseys, stop telling us how great you and your staff are, let the boys get a little sumpin sumpin after 10, put away the bible, and try to learn these guys something.

garyr 4 years, 7 months ago

I said as much. Check the archives. I knew Gill would be a lousy coach, and I said it back then. At least he isn't dissapointing, right. If you knew he was going to be lousy, and he is, can it be considered as a dissapointment?

slowplay 4 years, 7 months ago

"a chance to what? show us he can't win? he showed that at Buffalo."....

Turner may or not be successful at KU, but at least get your facts right. Turner took over a Buffalo football team that had gone 8-49 under the previous coach. In 2 years he had 5-3 record in the MAC. The best record ever for Buffalo. He was the MAC coach of the year. In 2008 they won the MAC by beating undefeated Ball state. He also took them to the Buffalo's first ever bowl game.

Whether or not his pedigree will transfer to success at KU will not be determined until his 3rd year. Mangino left him with no QB, no running game and a shaky defense. 3 years will tell if can teach and recruit.

If anyone is a JOKE, you are.

BruceWayne 4 years, 7 months ago

ummm...my facts are right. his record was 20-30. MAC? Are you serious? So you decided to make a personal attack on me. What did you gain? What about my comment would warrant you calling me a joke? FACT. Turner Gill is in WAY over his head. I am just being realistic and preparing for a full 5 years of terrible football being played by the Jayhawks.

slowplay 4 years, 7 months ago

"So you decided to make a personal attack on me."...Yet you prefer to personally attack Turner Gill on the vague premise that he will not succeed because YOU are the great evaluator of coaching abilities.. He did a very good job at Buffalo, maybe not to your exalted standards but his peers did vote him COY, the fans loved him and his players played to their capabilities. And that means a hell of lot more than your crude assessment. You are a JOKE.

BruceWayne 4 years, 7 months ago

again...it appears you are an idiot. 20-30 is NOT a very good job.Crude assessment? Did you watch the game saturday?

slowplay 4 years, 7 months ago

Go away Bruce. You are a waste of bits and bytes. The best thing is that Gill is going to be here for awhile and I hope it irritates the hell out of you.

BruceWayne 4 years, 7 months ago

as I said before, not sure what your problem is with me. If you will read the comments here, a majority of folks here don't care for Gill and his dated ways. So I ask...other than his 20-30 record and "his team thinking he was a swell guy", what leads you to feel he was the right choice for this job?

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 7 months ago

Mangino was tough on his players, but he never "rooster"-blocked them like Gill is doing.

Good luck recruiting.

missmagoo 4 years, 7 months ago

This is pretty ridiculous. These are rules for a high school team, maybe, but not college. Gill would be better suited for a private or religious-based university, perhaps.. where they focus more on morals and less on winning. If you're going to control these players like children, at least get the W's to back it up!

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 7 months ago

Baylor (the victor in last Saturday's debacle) is a Southern Baptist institution. The men have to wear ties to class. I think the girls have to wear underwear. I never have been able to equate the tie business with Christian values, I think it is more conservative conformance than anything else. But the Baylor "men" whomped the nameless KU team.

I always have a healthy and stalwart suspicion of any enterprise or institution that tries to aggrandize itself by embracing so called "Christian" values, these people are to be carefully watched and not trusted. They are using their imagined "virtue" to sell something and the buyer better beware!

irvan moore 4 years, 7 months ago

I thought we hired him to win us some football games, not to build character and teach them not to swear. i still can't believe we passed on Tuberville.

slowplay 4 years, 7 months ago

Tuberville had his A$$ handed to him on platter vs that perennial powerhouse Iowa State whose only wins prior to that were against N. Illinois and N. Iowa. There is not much love for "tubs" in Lubbock these days.

cozy 4 years, 7 months ago

Wedlock is what the ladies are hoping for.

cozy 4 years, 7 months ago

*They are hoping for a permanent, sporty, meal ticket. Do they not realize not all these guys end up doing professional sports? lol

kmcd028 4 years, 7 months ago

One only has to look in the stands on a Saturday and see all of the babies fathered by the players...the last time I checked, people can do anything at 3 p.m that I could do at 10:00 p.m. This rule is CRAZY!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

though I was joking about "precious bodily fluids" you got it Qeequeec.

I was serious: if you want the team to perform better, withold certain privileges when they don't perform.
the boys don't have to spend time with the wenches. of course exceptions for sisters and mothers and grandmothers would be good.

maybe we find other privileges theycan live without.

missmagoo 4 years, 7 months ago

This isn't witholding. This is a team rule, win or lose.

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 7 months ago

Gill has a player who just got a girl newly pregnant.

There is nothing wrong with having kids but when you are a college athlete the school expect you to give 100% to the team and we all know when there are kids involved it's impossible to stay totally focused.

missmagoo 4 years, 7 months ago

Kids have sex, curfew or no curfew. This doesn't change that -- it just changes whether they do it at midnight or noon. And seeing as how we don't have the wins to back it up... I'd say the team really isn't focused anyways! This is a PUBLIC UNIVERSITY. These kids are ADULTS.

kmcd028 4 years, 7 months ago

True, and the girl I know was dumped by the guy when he found out and then decided two months later to give it a try.

booyalab 4 years, 7 months ago

Morality is not some abstract construct completely separate from everything else in the universe. The fact is, when you're trying to do something as intense as juggling school almost every day and winning football games every week, trying to get laid and/or party every night is NOT conducive to winning, in either arena. When someone is better at life, is being better at football not included in that?

sharong 4 years, 7 months ago

You are all missing the point. Think about it... no cell phones before a game, no girls after 10:00 p.m.... let's put all that energy into team practice and coaching.... Get your priorities straight!!!! COACH THOSE KIDS!!! They don't need this to make them focused and better players.... they need coached on how to play football!!

Richard Heckler 4 years, 7 months ago

55-7 who was calling the strategy? Are we saying women were the problem at Baylor?

6th_Hawkarusa 4 years, 7 months ago

This reminds me of the Bush that told us he was a compassionate conservative. I give the man an F- for preparing OUR football team. He doesn't own anything yet except 2 of the worst losses in our history.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 7 months ago

Gotta say, Gill's rule is not Bible based, or half the professional boxers in the past 100 years were born again too. Nook makes the legs wobbly. Too much nook ........... Boxing managers knew it.

Dan Thalmann 4 years, 7 months ago

I would assume one of the benefits of being a college football player is having "relations" with a lot of women after 10 p.m. Isn't this a recruiting tool too? Bring the 17-year-olds to campus and get them around some very supportive gals? How will he recruit the future baby daddies without this option? C'mon Turner, you shouldn't have high moral expectations of your guys. Winning is way more important!

gorilla10 4 years, 7 months ago

These kids are adults if you ask me. We work so hard to get kids ready for the real world and then when they get to college, they had a curfew, no women, and they have to give up their cell phones. I think this causes more of a distraction than just allowing them to do what they want. Too many rules is sometimes a distraction in itself. We need to focus more on WINNING games than what we do OFF the field. School should come first, then football. We should look into some of Bill Selfs rules...........Because Turner has one of the best coaches in the country right across campus..................

Bamastreet 4 years, 7 months ago

The other new rule is that the offense can't meet up with the end zone after halftime. This was implemented prior to the Baylor game.

7texdude 4 years, 7 months ago

If Gill starts winning next year and builds great recruiting classes, then everyone who is complaining online or in the bars or at church will look foolish. Simple as that.

The people who say "I miss Mangino," ignore that Gill is inheriating a lot of his problems. No defense. No team speed. No heart. And, yes, those guys that looked so great in the Orange Bowl looked slow and mediocre last year. And what about all the problems Mangino's guys had with the law. Driving over other players with your car, talking smack to Tyshawn Taylor that led to the fights with the bball team and how many other crimes? Where were the Mangino defenders then?

If Gill turns it around next year, then good for him and good for us. Everyone loves a winner. It doesn't matter if he does it with cheeseburgers and beer or prayers, crosses, curfews and Bibles. I may not be sold on Gill, but I don't miss MM. His sorry team stank last year and went 1-7 in the Big 12. Gill's team isn't better.

Pile it on, but don't forget to look at the guys who are to blame: the football players. Why don't you point the finger at them for once? They are the guys who run slow, miss blocks and tackles and gave up in the second half last week in Waco. Those great Baylor Bears got spanked 45-10 by TCU two weeks earlier. Yeah, BU is awesome........or maybe the Jayhawks are horrible.

drnater 4 years, 7 months ago

Dont forget to mention that the fights were over a girl, that sheds a whole new light on the situation.

cozy 4 years, 7 months ago

lol. One that is 'probably' Not worth it.

drnater 4 years, 7 months ago

"My job is to make football a learning experience, and there are so many things they can learn from being a part of our team that will help them be successful later in life as a father, member of a church, or member of the community. There are so many intangibles we can teach that they can take with them.”

"If all I have taught you is how to block and tackle, then I have failed as a coach." -The Late Ed Thomas (may he R.I.P.)

This is what all football coaches should inspire to do, because in fact, if they arent ready to be men outside of football, then what matters? So for all of you crying about Gill's philosphies, think about what message your sending these players.

sad_lawrencian 4 years, 7 months ago

At least Coach Mangino was winning games...

sad_lawrencian 4 years, 7 months ago

And has anyone noticed the fact that Mr. Perkins was the AD at Wichita State when they canceled their football program in 1986?? Perhaps Coach Gill is a joke played on KU by Mr. Perkins. Perhaps after a few more games/seasons the team/program will be so bad that KU will have no choice but to cancel it. History repeats itself.

kujhawkfan 4 years, 7 months ago

"At least Coach Mangino was winning games..."
Did you happen to watch KU last season??? They were ranked 15th in the country before they went to Boulder. Then they lost 7 straight games to finish the season. That was without a doubt one of the worst coached teams not just in KU history, but in college football history. There is no excuse for being picked by many to win the Big 12 North and then to finish the season with 7 straight losses. Mangino was fired because he lost total control of his players and there was no way any coach could keep their job after the way that team fell apart. Take out Mangino's one miracle season and his teams were 4-23 on the road since 2003!

independant1 4 years, 7 months ago

No women? Is just plain mean. But then maybe he was reacting to his players shenanigans.

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm gonna say that the reason the players don't think this is a big deal, is b/c they don't abide by it. What a stupid rule.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 7 months ago

Has Gill accepted any responsibility for the 55-7?

BruceWayne 4 years, 7 months ago

no. but according to slowplay this acceptable.

kujayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm getting tired of Gill's gimmicks.

Kontum1972 4 years, 7 months ago

well those of you who want him out....gather up your mob and go tell him to his face..if your so tired....be real men...confront him head on...mb he will ask your adivce....lol! funny how all u sofa coaches didnt apply for the job...

how many of you are season tickets holders?

if so ,was there a gun to your head to buy tickets....if you dont like the football program at KU dont waste your time reading about them find something else to do....try fishing.

RockinChalkinHawkin 4 years, 7 months ago

Rules to follow?! Maybe they need to enforce them better if they are going to try to set them. Taking away cell phones does no good when majority of them turn in a second phone that doesn't work while still using their real phone. The no girls rule... A JOKE. Several of them are with girls still after 10 pm. As long as they don't get caught in public or in a wreck there is no way coaches will know. The kicker, Branstetter is married now too, so what is the rule on that? Still not sure what all this is suppose to teach these boys?