Archive for Monday, October 4, 2010

Fort Riley soldiers begin deployment in Iraq

October 4, 2010

— Soldiers of the 1st Brigade of Fort Riley's 1st Infantry Division have begun a yearlong deployment to Iraq.

The units are among the first to deploy to Iraq since President Barack Obama declared an end to major combat operations.

Only part of the brigade is deploying as an advisory and assistance task force in northern Iraq. The soldiers will work with Iraqi forces taking more responsibility for security and governance.

This is the brigade's first deployment since 2004.

Comments

Brandi Simpson-Glover 4 years, 6 months ago

my brother is included in that group-stay safe troops!!

1234 4 years, 6 months ago

I met a officer yesterday being deployed..... Nice guy... Hope things go well for you man, thanks for doing what you do.

uncleandyt 4 years, 6 months ago

Jesus Christ ! The Mission continues. The AP blurb doesn't mention how many people are being deployed. I hope that the troops stay safe too. Advice and assistance can be positive. Military advice and assistance sounds dangerous to me. Why are we doing this?

Majestic42 4 years, 6 months ago

Try supporting our troops instead of demonizing them. Go get 'em, boys. We'll be praying.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

I didn't think this post demonized the troops at all. It certainly calls into question; what are we doing there? These brave men and women are going to a foreign land to try and maintain the latest propped-up, future dictator. So far, the Iraqi's are playing ball and allowing us their resources, which they owe, to pay off their international debt. Saddaam didn't want to play, and could not to assassinated; so we sent in the military option, and here we still are today.

I wish our troops weren't being used as pawns by corporations and bankers.

ctutgo 4 years, 6 months ago

My son is also included in this. This is his second tour in Iraq. I don't know if I dare feel more secure this time of his safety. God Bless you Bud! God Bless all of you who serve! We will pray for you every day.