Archive for Friday, October 1, 2010

Faulty transformer creates traffic signal problem at Sixth, Monterey

A faulty traffic signal at the intersection of Sixth and Monterey has been causing traffic to back up since Wednesday. Someone will be on call during the weekend in case the problem continues.

October 1, 2010

Beware of a possible traffic light out at the intersection of Sixth Street and Monterey Way.

The light has been giving drivers and city engineers problems since Wednesday.

City worker were at the intersection several times to change mechanical parts and re-set the light before finally solving the issue. The city said it’s a transformer that keeps shorting out.

The light was finally fixed mid-afternoon on Friday but the city will have someone on call all weekend in the event the problem continues.

“The main thing here is we want drivers to be aware that it could go out again and to be cautious when approaching the intersection,” said Megan Gilliland, communications manager for the city.

Comments

LogicMan 4 years ago

"but the city will have someone on call all weekend"

The City normally doesn't have someone on call every weekend? That's not very reassuring.

MYOB 4 years ago

How about "Monterey" in the headline?

wmathews 4 years ago

Fixed! Thanks for noticing that!

Whitney Mathews Online Editor

nobody1793 4 years ago

Beware the intersection of 6th and Monterey, but continue driving recklessly everywhere else.

GardenMomma 4 years ago

I wonder if they can fix it to give the left turn arrow to cars turning east onto 6th on a more regular basis. It seems very hit and miss as to whether or not it gives the arrow. There can be ten cars wanting to turn on both sides and no arrow or a single car and it gets the arrow or vise versa. Very inconsistent. Anyone know what the criteria is for tripping the turn arrow light?

jfcm77 4 years ago

I agree with you 100%! I would love to know the criteria for that arrow.

kernal 4 years ago

I've also wondered what trips it as it seems to be very infrequent. I've used that intersection at all times of the day and have not noticed any sequence and it doesn't seem to tie in with how much traffic is flowing through.

Kris Adair 4 years ago

I drove through it Friday as it went out again and it was a little scary. Right as I was about to enter the intersection the light went out completely. Since I was not watching I just looked up to see it out and I got a little nervous. I saw all the cars around me go through so it calmed me a bit. It was out several times and I just got to the point where I started watching it.