Archive for Monday, November 29, 2010

Hundreds line up at Andover, Kan. grocery store for Sarah Palin book signing

November 29, 2010

— Hundreds turned out to get a glimpse of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin signing books at a southern Kansas grocery store.

That includes about 100 who spent the night Saturday outside a Dillons store in Andover hoping to be at the front of the line to see her.

The Wichita Eagle reports Jane Keliher of Wichita was first in line, arriving at the store at 8 p.m. Saturday. Others in line included Wichita resident Gib Schwemmer, who said he wrote in Palin's name for Kansas governor in the most recent election.

Palin was in town Sunday promoting her new book, "America by Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith and Flag."

Comments

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 4 months ago

Will Dillon's on 6th St. in wonderful Lawrence prominently display her book with huge 40 (or whatever percent) stickers plastered all over them like they did W's book right after it hit the racks? Another Lawrence business I'll start avoiding like the plague.

Keith 4 years, 4 months ago

If you can't sell them at full price, you have to discount them to move them. And yes, they do have her book on display, and no Dillon's isn't a Lawrence business, they're from Hutchinson. Facts are stupid things.

overthemoon 4 years, 4 months ago

like maybe its that old free market capitalism workin' for good Americans who just want cheap crap cheaper .

Scott Drummond 4 years, 4 months ago

Clear evidence of the liberal, mainstream grocer bias normal Amuricans are forced to endure.

overthemoon 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm laughing because I believe you're being a bit sarcastic?

overthemoon 4 years, 4 months ago

That would be great. Avoid Dillons, one of the larger more conservative business interests in Kansas and owned by Kroger...who are not from Kansas at all.

overthemoon 4 years, 4 months ago

You're stretching for something there. I didn't say boycot them, that was Spewman's idea. Shop there regularly...but I am aware of what they do with the money I spend there. Shop at the Merc, too. And Checkers. Never Walmart. Just don't like it and the lighting sucks.

notanota 4 years, 4 months ago

Thought you didn't live in Lawrence and therefore avoided ALL Lawrence businesses. Did someone foreclose on your yacht?

d_prowess 4 years, 4 months ago

I am pretty sure every bookstore in america was offering the W. book with a discount. It is actually a pretty common practice for all books when initially released. Venture into Borders some time and you will find I am right.
Or just believe that this was another random act of hatred by the left.

monheim 4 years, 4 months ago

Don't forget to wear your foil shiny side out, Tom. It helps keep the evil Muslim Socialist Lamestream Liberal Media Abortion rays from entering your brain.

Scott Drummond 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm deducting points for lack of reference to gun nut rights, but otherwise brilliant. Bravo!

overthemoon 4 years, 4 months ago

NO NO NO NO...Shiny side in!!! Research proves that shiny side in preserves conservative mutated brain cells. Shiny side out and you turn into a liberal. I'm not sure we really wan Spewman on our side!!!

cowboy 4 years, 4 months ago

watched a bit of hoochie mama's Alaska show last night. Was struck by the fact that here her family has rolled in millions of dollars in the past year yet they are out hammering salmon , 3000 lbs , shooting trophy deer , shooting fireworks into Bristol Bay , and generally out ravaging the wildlife for no apparent reason other than to film it.

I'm not anti hunting at all but do multi millionaires need to be out harvesting what they obviously don't need.

I may look for it , whats the title ? Sarah Palin , American Quitter

sherbert 4 years, 4 months ago

I caught part of last nights show too, and it seemed she was going out with the fisherman who do this for a living to highlight an Alaskan industry, not so she could catch a fish to take home and eat. Did surprise me though that they had to club the fish after catching them.

whats_going_on 4 years, 4 months ago

you do know that by watching it you are supporting her, right?

I hate that.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 4 months ago

you are correct sir. When obtaining a fishing license, one should have to show IRS tax forms. Perhaps 5 years back in case one of them millionaires trying to pull a sneaky one.

Oh yea folks of no travels. There are areas of the country which harvest fish for us flatlanders to munch on. These people even fish the Great Lakes. Hint. The Palin's harvest the fish to pay bills. Perhaps Todd her husband and part Native American likes doing this activity.

Let us know when you libs outlaw this activity. Oh my, my oh my. Dems used to be the party of freedom.

booyalab 4 years, 4 months ago

No they didn't. Remember the civil war?

Sean Livingstone 4 years, 4 months ago

If Sarah Palin wins the presidential election in 2012, that'll be the single worst era America will face.... can some Republicans take care of her? People like Mitt Romney? Pleeeeasseeee?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

"Media members weren't allowed behind a black curtain where Palin was signing books, other than to take pictures of her."

Yea, I'm sure her handlers are deathly afraid of anything resembling a press conference where something beyond carefully scripted talking points might slip out.

4 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone else think it's funny that she was in Kansas and they were saying "Don't look behind the curtain. Don't mind that person behind the curtain."

overthemoon 4 years, 4 months ago

And its oddly symbolic as she hides behind all sorts of curtains to avoid ever being exposed to real questions or the bright light of truth that will cause her to melt faster than a wet witch.

missmia 4 years, 4 months ago

I want to "like" this, like on facebook :)

4 years, 4 months ago

If she hangs around till Spring, maybe a tornado will drop a house on her. But if she nominates a VP like McCain did, we might get a flying monkey

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

Nah. What I think is funny is how the far left quivers in their own excrement at the thought of Sarah Palin toppling the house of cards they have built.

And no, I do not support her as the future POTUS.

Even though she is . . . HOT!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

I'll agree that our current political/economic structure is a house of cards, but the "far left" has had almost nothing to do with its creation. That honor falls to the corporate right.

But Sarah Palin becoming president does make me nervous-- just as a three-year-old with a fully loaded automatic weapon would.

overthemoon 4 years, 4 months ago

Agree. That woman is causing a lot more fear and loathing on the right than on the left. Some are finally coming out and saying, others are still hiding behind the other black curtain of party unity at all costs.

notanota 4 years, 4 months ago

I really hope she wins the primaries. Nothing quite says "four more years" like the quitta from Wasilla.

tbaker 4 years, 4 months ago

Generally speaking I like her, but if the Republicans nominate her to run in 2012, then you might as well start buying those 2nd Obama Inaugural Ball tickets right now. She will lose because she is polarizing. She can't win the middle and that is who elects presidents in the US. If the adults run the show for a change, and the Republicans don’t nominate her, then Mr. Obama will lose the election for precisely the same reason Mrs. Palin would have.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

Obama is a centrist. About as centrist as it gets. (which in our corporate controlled culture means somewhat center-right.)

He's only "polarizing" to those on the right who are permanently self-polarized, most of whom are largely ignorant of most of what goes on in the world because any information about it is drowned out by Fox News and the other monotone "news" outlets that are their only source of information (well, disinformation.)

overthemoon 4 years, 4 months ago

Sorry Tom. Its true. If you ever ventured out of the fox bubble you would know that. Heck, that health care reform you hate so much is a frickin' REPUBLICAN plan from a couple of years ago. Problem is, thanks to fox and friends, the right has moved so far right that you guys can't even SEE the center any more.

hail2oldku 4 years, 4 months ago

Now you've gone and stimulated the economy. After spitting my drink all over my monitor and keyboard I'm gonna have to go and buy a new pair.

tbaker 4 years, 4 months ago

Polling of the independant voters who elected him tell a different story Bozo.

shadowlady 4 years, 4 months ago

While I don't think she would make a good President, I'm like tbaker, I like the woman, and her family. Now tell me, I can't see many 16 year old girls out there cutting up fish, and doing what Willow and Piper were doing. I've got to hand it to them. It did not look to me that it was all put on. They all seem down to earth people, money or not. We shouldn't judge them, just because they have money. The hate mongers should try to look past the hate, and see what is inside a person. This is just my opinion and only my opinion.

meggers 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, such a wholesome and charming family:

I could care less how much money Palin has. She's still a vacuous, self-absorbed hypocrite peddling her hatred to people naive enough to actually think that she's "one of them".

4 years, 4 months ago

She might win if the election of 2012 is a call in vote so her supporters can call in multiple times to elect her.

madameX 4 years, 4 months ago

Killing animals, while generally done out among various elements of nature, does not necesarily make one a naturalist. Quitting halfway through a gubernatorial term to go smile pretty on Fox news, however, does kinda make one a quitter.

Although I'm keeping in the back of my mind that hotness seems to be a deciding factor even though looks have no discernable effect on, well, anything relevant. If I ever want to run for office that might be useful.

4 years, 4 months ago

Let's talk about a designated quitter. See----Former Alaska Gov. Open mouth, insert foot, Corky

monheim 4 years, 4 months ago

I love how Palin supporters immediately resort to hyperbole about liberals supposedly being scared to death of her because deep down we know she's a strong, principled true 'Merikan and we just can't handle it.

Frankly, if enough people really are desperate and credulous enough to elect her President, I think we deserve the disaster that would happen afterwords. Or rather, during the year she'd serve out before quitting.

The only skill Palin seems to have is an inexplicable ability to speak to people's desperate, silly anti-intellectualism. She is a walking "just plain folks" fallacy who speaks in silly platitudes and has proven she doesn't give a lick about reality. She'd rather just say "Ohhhh yooo betchyaaa! Momma grizzlies and death panels!" and capitalize on book tours, speaking events and TV shows than actually go try to learn something about civics, governance, politics or even the history of this country that she supposedly thinks is the greatest one on earth and 'God's chosen land.

Liberty275 4 years, 4 months ago

"I think we deserve the disaster that would happen afterwords."

I think America deserve the disaster obama has given us in two years and for the next few decades to come while we pay off his socialist garbage and disassemble his corrupt heath insurance fraud scheme.. We also deserve the looming disasters ahead with virtual war on our southern border and more people getting booted from their houses.

When a people are stupid enough to elect what should be a used car salesman at a shady car lot, they don't deserve anything but a lemon.

4 years, 4 months ago

Ha Ha Ha ! Short memory, Liberty

Ralph Reed 4 years, 4 months ago

Corky, she did quit.

As Keith said above, "Facts are stupid things."

Ralph Reed 4 years, 4 months ago

“Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, for I am the great and powerful OZ!” yelled the wizard in L. Frank Baum’s “The Wizard of Oz.” The Great Oz or the man behind the curtain turns out to be a humbug – a hoax or a jest, or as Dorothy says, “a very bad man,” in the classic movie. (http://www.artslant.com/no/articles/show/8569)

trinity 4 years, 4 months ago

given her penchant for wasillabillyspeak-is the letter G included in this book? or does it read, "i love huntin' with my family and goin' and gettin' big ol' moose"...i can just picture the entire book sans Gs at the end of words that require them. ;)

and no, her "plain" talk does not make her accessible, folksy, down to earth, blahblahyadda; it just makes her appear-stupid.

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

gonna have to werk on that trinity. biG gots a g on the end. but i caint talk boutit

:-p

trinity 4 years, 4 months ago

hmmm maybe i need to simplify/clarify-let's say, the "I-N-G" words. n'est ces pas? :)

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 4 months ago

Roe doesn't understand Frog language, trinity. All he sees/hears is croaks. He still eats Freedom fries.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

She doesn't visit "real" America, as she claims, she is clearly visiting surreal America. 100 people spending the night in line just to see Palin in the flesh and get her "X" in a book that was almost certainly written by someone else?!? As Tom likes to say, wow, just wow. Fools and their money: I hope she is able to draw as much of it from this crowd as she possibly can.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

As long as she remains satisfied with being a celebrity despite having no discernible talent to justify it, all is well. But if she manages to take that vacuousness into the White House, it really would be like giving a loaded automatic weapon to a three-year-old. And sadly, there are millions of people out there as clueless as you, Tom, who think that'd be a good idea.

Keith 4 years, 4 months ago

"Now who can argue with that..... I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, but it expresses a courage little seen in this day and age!"

4 years, 4 months ago

So.... you are also against the environment? Nice! Do you hate everything that doesn't fit your small minded world?

tomatogrower 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, Bozo, can't you just see it now. A president on the celebrity dancing show? It would be like Nero playing the violin while Rome burned.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

Please show me where I called Todd Palin a "moron." I doubt seriously you will be able to find it. Instead, I called Todd Palin a former member of a successionist party -- how is that for being proud of your country?

The left is afraid of Sarah Palin because we know there are enough foolish people who admire her that they might actually vote for her despite her obviously lack of knowledge of the world around us. It isn't Palin we are afraid of as much as it is her horde of worshipers that scare us.

trinity 4 years, 4 months ago

that whole "scared of her" thing-wow, just wow. i'm thinking somebody needs to learn the difference between being scared of something and being just plain repulsed by something. but hey on second thought-maybe i am scared to think that such an empty-headed quitter could ever make it to the nation's highest office. face it all you sarah lovers-she does not have the gravitas to be president. period. and noooo i'm not afraid of her, i just plain don't like the jack-wagonette.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

Tom, you are clearly miserable. Try accomplishing something in your own life before calling a President a loser. How asinine.

By the way, think Whites still don't have any power now?

Scott Drummond 4 years, 4 months ago

Even if one accepts your premise, Tom (a very big if, since so few share your irrational hatred of the mixed race President) what to make of the sheer success of Obama in imposing his America hating, diabotical plans? Has he not been more successful than Ms. Palin in the last two years? By your own account he is succeeding in all the evil that he has planned, while Sarah has accomplished.......what?

webmocker 4 years, 4 months ago

"Others in line included Wichita resident Gib Schwemmer, who said he wrote in Palin's name for Kansas governor in the most recent election."

WTF? Perhaps someone needs to inform this Schwemmer that Palin quit as governor of Alaska, in the middle of her term, for no reason other than to ride the money train.

tomatogrower 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh webmocker, you would be confusing the poor man with facts, like you have to be a resident of Kansas to be governor. Please don't confuse Palin followers with facts, you give them a headache.

Scott Drummond 4 years, 4 months ago

From another article on the appearance:

“It’s not very often you get the chance to have a book signed by someone who might be the next president of the United States,” Metzger said, dressed in camouflage gear.

His 14-year-old granddaughter, Brielle Austin said she was “here for my future generation.”

She said she thought it would be cool to look back on her life and tell her own grandchildren that she once met Palin."

What a life that's going to be! Mr. Schwemmer clearly is not alone in his ignorance.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 4 months ago

She beat Biden except for CNN's poll (which has been wrong more than any in the past 5 years) in a slanted against her debate.

Did President Obama and Joltin Joe Biden quit office as well? Perhaps she is planning on running for POTUS. Wouldn't it be nice to vote for somebody who actually knows the people electing them?

Pull the plug on President Obama's teleprompter and she would beat him in a debate as well. uuhhh, uhhh, cough, uuhhhhhh ummm, uhhhhh, cough.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

If Obama doesn't have a teleprompter (which he NEVER used in a debate), would Palin also have to wash the answers off her hands?

I'm sorry, but your delusion about Palin "winning" the debate is a mistake, at best. Viewers were only surpised that she didn't have to yell out "I've fallen and I can't get up." Biden took it easy, so as not to appear an intellectual bully.

Of course, it doesn't matter. We know who actually won the election, so believe what you wish. Should Palin choose to run for President in 2012, her fellow Republicans will certainly test her debating skills without pulling any punches. I'm sure it would make for some entertaining television, don'tcha know (wink, wink).

verity 4 years, 4 months ago

If Palin does run for President of the United States and is in a debate with the other Republican candidates, there will be blood. Romney and whoever else runs will come at her like jackals. Then she will whine that she is a victim and everybody is mean to her and quit. Unfortunately, I see no way in which she becomes the Republican candidate. I say unfortunately because that would assure Obama's reelection.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 4 months ago

Palin has been debating other Republicans over the past months. In fact debating Dems as well. Nothing positive will be come on this forum regarding Sarah Palin. Fortunately as stated many times, over many years, by many better than I, Lawrence Libs really matter little in the whole scheme of things.

The simple fact 1 Palin is a Republican front runner. Fact two, dems blew it. Add one and two, and you have a very serious electable candidate.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

Where have these debates been taking place? I've read of accusations, attacks, and outright lies thrown out on twitter, but no actual debates? I'd love to see Palin in a formal debate with her fellow Republicans, so please provide a link.

When thinking of Palin's electability, consider the smaller scale model offered by Christine O'Donnell. She was the Republican front runner, the dems blew it, and the dem won by a wide margin. And O'Donnell never quit an elected office. I'm sorry to break it to you, but Palin really is un-electable on a national level. But hey, if she decides to go for it and needs campaign contributions, feel free to give.

verity 4 years, 4 months ago

Surely you jest. You certainly made me laugh.

BorderRuffian 4 years, 4 months ago

Did anyone see Sarah in the background in DWTS? She's so freakin' HOT!!!

Scott Morgan 4 years, 4 months ago

beatrice, Christine O'Donnell lost. Big deal it happens. What doesn't happen is the state level foundation shattering number of republicans elected at the lowest to medium levels in state governments. Then add in the major state races and you have a near off year revolution.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 4 months ago

Baaaaaa! Was there a border collie keeping them in line?

John Clayton 4 years, 4 months ago

that Mrs. Palin sure is something, why she's a real clown magnet, like moths to the flame:

TopJayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Obama is a centrist. Bozo, you need to get a job and rejoin reality.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 4 months ago

So the 2010 off year elections were not a big win for the Republicans? ummm Whistling, whistling da da da A record win for the Republicans? ummmm whistling

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, nobody is denying it wasn't a big election for Republicans. It is just that it was a big year despite Palin. As others have noted, several of the major candidates she supported lost -- in a big, big election for Republicans. This includes a loss against one of the least liked Democrats, Harry Reid. Why? Because he ran against a Tea Party candidate who, like Palin, is far too polarizing. I'm sure many people held their noses when voting for Reid, but they did so out of necessity to keep the Tea Party at bay. If you can't see that, that is fine. Support Palin all you wish. Just know that there is no way she will ever get elected to another national position.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 4 months ago

Off subject perhaps. I came very close to voting for President Obama. I still wish him or any of our leaders good will.

I listened to his chats, read with interest, and believed he was on the right track. I believed he was not a divisive party line leader. I still think it's time we come together and quit fighting among ourselves.

My faith in President Obama has taken some big hits lately.

One of the reasons people, not all, but many like Palin is she does talk about what a great nation we live in. How lucky we are.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 4 months ago

lol, really, Tom Shewmon thinks discounted books are also a liberal plot?

He should love Sarah Palin, they are so much alike, paranoid, stupid and dishonest.

tomatogrower 4 years, 4 months ago

It just goes to show you how seldom Tom ever goes to a book store.

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 4 months ago

When I was a kid I loved going to the fair and paying a dollar to go in a tent to see the world's largest cow. It was huge.

We really don't know all the reasons why people want to see Sarah Palin but I imagine a lot of them feel the same way I felt when I wanted to see the world's largest cow.

miker 4 years, 4 months ago

Read Keith Richards' "Life" instead..........I don't like to read fiction !

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 4 months ago

The half-governor's book should be titled "America by Fox: Flim-flam, farce, and falsehood."

Scott Morgan 4 years, 4 months ago

Realizing this was a no win or even intellectual exchange I vowed to stop posting on this topic.

The fact somebody actually paid a dollar (1940s-?) to voluntarily and actually become excited to see a cow inside a tent is too much for me. You guys win. Now, begin whistling how everybody in the country believes as you.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 4 months ago

Palin quit, and for the life I me I don't know why she would do that and run for President in 2012 (if she does). She would get hammered on it all primary season from her own party.

pace 4 years, 4 months ago

I wish Barney would come to Dillons in Lawrence. I like Barney.

tomatogrower 4 years, 4 months ago

I just read that Palin criticizes untalented people on reality shows. I can hardly type; I'm laughing so hard.