Archive for Monday, November 29, 2010

Kansas election results certified with few irregularities reported

November 29, 2010

Election 2010

Find detailed candidate profiles, campaign finance information and complete election coverage in our Election Guide.

— The general election results were certified on Monday, and officials said there were a few reports of ballot irregularities and no allegations of illegal immigrants trying to vote.

The Kansas State Board of Canvassers signed off on the Nov. 2 election, which produced big gains for Republicans.

“We all lost fair and square,” Democratic Secretary of State Chris Biggs quipped after chairing a meeting of the board.

Biggs was defeated in the election by Republican Kris Kobach, who said that during the campaign voter fraud was a major problem in Kansas and that he planned to push for changes to ensure that illegal immigrants weren’t voting.

Kobach, an attorney who fights in court on behalf of state and city governments trying to establish their own immigration laws, has said he will push in Kansas for measures that will require voters to show a photo ID at the polls and require people registering to vote for the first time in a given county to present proof of their citizenship.

On Monday, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Brad Bryant said there were three cases in Johnson County of people who allegedly “double voted” during the Nov. 2 election. Those are being investigated by the district attorney’s office there, he said.

He said there were no allegations of illegal immigrants trying to vote.

There were 856,831 Kansans who voted, or half of the total number of registered voters.

That 50 percent total was pretty much in line with previous nonpresidential year elections. Voting in presidential election years is much higher, with 71 percent voting in 2008.

Republicans made significant gains in the 2010 election, capturing all the statewide and congressional seats on the ballot and improving their advantage in the Kansas Legislature.

Comments

WilburM 4 years ago

Amazing how the Vote Kommissar Kris Kobach has been silent about fraud once elected. But don't worry, he'll find plenty of it as he seeks to make voting more restrictive.

WHY 4 years ago

Fear wins elections. Democrats should start trying it.

monheim 4 years ago

Things are bad enough with only one side resorting to it constantly.

kansanjayhawk 4 years ago

What are you talking about ? Remember the mediscare tactics of the Clintons? Fear didn't cause the D's to lose it was their miserable failed big government policies.

WHY 4 years ago

I know that big bad government. What were they thinking. We need to crush that monster before it eats our young. AAAAHHhhh.

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Where have you been since Jan 2009? The Fear Monger in Chief has worn out 8 teleprompters trying to frighten Americans.

WHY 4 years ago

Its that calm tone and uneven delivery. Puts me to sleep every time.

monheim 4 years ago

Undocumented migrant workers are not interested in voting. I mean, we're talking about a demographic of people who are usually hesitant to even fill out their Census forms for fear it'll put them on the grid. Why on earth would they show up at a polling place and try to vote? I hate to make it seem like I'm pigeonholing an entire ethnic group, but...honestly, it's not on their radar.

kansanjayhawk 4 years ago

Give Mr. Kobach a chance you liberals...

George_Braziller 4 years ago

He's not even officially in office and the primary focus of his campaign has already been discredited. It doesn't have anything to do with political affiliation.

eric1889 4 years ago

Practice what you preach, and give President Obama an honest chance.

Steve Bunch 4 years ago

Illegal Canadians must be stopped from voting. Right now, no one is guarding against the Canadians. It's our soft underbelly. Ai yi yi.

tolawdjk 4 years ago

This one time, at curling camp, I saw a Canadian watching me while I was picking out maple syrup at the camp commisary. Don't ask us what we did with the syrup. I think he was an illegal cause he showed up with 30 other Canadians on a zamboni.

The way he looked at me, I just knew he was there to take my job and/or our easy access to arbor based syrups. Creeped me out.

jayhawklawrence 4 years ago

We don't know a lot about Mr. Kobach, but we do know one thing for certain.

He is a liar.

billbodiggens 4 years ago

The lack of "voter fraud' in Kansas appears to be absolutely deafening. My oh My. How are we ever going to stop all the fraud?