Archive for Sunday, November 28, 2010

Inmate, convicted by Douglas County jury, aims to come clean for crimes

November 28, 2010

Devin T. Galloway

Devin T. Galloway

In 1985, a Douglas County jury convicted Devin T. Galloway of Lawrence of the kidnapping and rape of a neighbor. Galloway was paroled in 2006 after serving more than 20 years for the crimes.

But Galloway, 48, says he committed several other local crimes for which he was never prosecuted.

As he settles into middle age — and a life sentence in a Texas prison for committing another crime — Galloway says a guilty conscience has him trying to set the record straight.

“I would very much like to express my sorrow and remorse,” wrote Galloway in letters to the Journal-World. “Also in my wake I left a lot of victims most are still living and I assume some have passed on to which I believe that revealing these crimes this will give my many victims some closure maybe?”

In the letters, Galloway takes blame for five Lawrence crimes — all occurring in the early 1980s. He wrote about three of the crimes, including:

• A 1982 robbery at gunpoint of a 16-year-old girl shopping on Massachusetts Street.

• A 1981 armed robbery at the Town & Country store. Galloway said that he “pulled the trigger on the gun however the gun misfired.”

• A 1983 armed robbery of a “credit union bank” near 23rd and Iowa streets.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, spokesman for Lawrence police, said investigators are looking into whether the information provided by Galloway matches with any unsolved cases from that time.

“It’s always nice to clear some old cases,” said Sarna, who added that police probably wouldn’t take any action against Galloway, as the statute of limitations on many of the crimes has long passed.

Admission by offenders for all crimes committed — even those they haven’t been arrested for — is part of the therapy and treatment in Kansas prisons, said Rik Kendall, director of correctional programs for DCCCA Inc.

But the lack of any repercussions for Galloway has Kendall, who has worked with thousands of offenders over the years, questioning Galloway’s motivation.

Is he a repentant offender trying to give closure to victims, or a publicity-hungry inmate with a lot of time on his hands?

“I wouldn’t attribute it to any sense of altruism,” Kendall said.

Galloway’s Douglas County conviction stemmed from a 1984 crime in which a neighbor said Galloway tied her up in her apartment and raped her. Galloway was sentenced to 30 years to life, though he was paroled after serving 21 years.

Galloway was arrested, convicted and sentenced to life in prison in Texas for a sexual assault committed shortly after he was paroled from Kansas in 2006.

Comments

justme1983 2 years ago

Devin hurt a lot of people. Being someone who was hurt by him, I wish he never did this (contacting ljw) please don't talk ill of all Galloways. I wish this story would be removed. It was printed 2yrs ago and having people contact me about this opens up things I don't want to know.

andrew55 3 years, 4 months ago

Devin is the only one that knows why he decided to open wounds that time alone will never heal. He forfeited his freedom accordingly. His victims and family are still suffering.

fu7il3 3 years, 4 months ago

I would seriously doubt the list is complete. The guy went to prison here for rape. He then went to prison in Texas for rape. Yet there are no sex crimes or rapes on the list. Are we to really believe those were the only two he ever committed and he just happened to get caught on both of them?

TopJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Paul I got a bridge to sell you. Jeez

ralphralph 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree. I like the idea of the program, and of resolving old, unsolved cases.

TJ_in_Lawrence 3 years, 4 months ago

I care not about galloway's reasons. But if his admissions help anyone who was victimized then great!!

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

i wish more people would own to their crimes.A lot of people sit in jail for other's deeds. I don't know how many people are capable of change, or being betterpersons but few will become better persons without facing what they did. I don't know about public confession but I do know that a lot of people lie to themselves, telling themselves they didn't do anything wrong. It is easy to dismiss or challenge the meaning of admission, owning some responsibility .It doesn't mean a thing if you doubt or "know" there are a hundred reasons, mostly bad for such confession. It might relieve a victim or be a step in being a responsible adult. I think it is better for the victims to know who did these crimes and for the victims to know that person is not on their block.

Paul Hahn 3 years, 4 months ago

I commend Mr. Galloway for trying to do the right thing.

Starlight 3 years, 4 months ago

We can hope if 2036 doesn't turn out to be a life sentence that at 74 he won't be as anxious to get back to his butt-buddies as he was the first time he was paroled.

edjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

He should be counting his stars that he didn't get the chair.

PrettyTony 3 years, 4 months ago

Thats what I was thinkin' srj.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 4 months ago

I think he has accepted his fate. But these where in the early 1980's, I hope some other black men did not go to prison for his crimes.

Joe Hyde 3 years, 4 months ago

Regardless whether Mr. Galloway's expressions of sorrow and remorse are truly heartfelt, if his belated confessions to these other crimes contain information that can be compared to the case data and confirmed, then the PD gets to close these cases. Removing those cases from further study makes life a little easier for investigators.

smitty 3 years, 4 months ago

If this prison program is so damn helpful, where is the publicity for any of the other prisoners who have seen the light? Where, DCCCA, are the other confessors?

My guess is the power behind the grant, the pimp, has pushed this story to keep the program alive...job security?......since it was Rik Kendall, director of correctional programs for DCCCA Inc., who is on the books for this. Bingo!!!

This is no more or no less an AA twelve step program just like the one offered at the community shelter for addicts....voluntary and easy to jerk around. The only publicity for such a twelve step action must be anonymous to work...however DCCCA gets a token approval to publicize his name. Surely DCCCA wouldn't break confidentiality.

This mimics the sexual offender snafu a couple of years ago when the prison/social system tried to use their social theories. complete with government grants, to house sexual offenders in communities.

What a load, DCCCA! Unacceptable rubbish.

Amy Heeter 3 years, 4 months ago

His contrition holds little weight with me. We have no way of knowing if he really feels sorrow for his wrongs or not. Perhaps he should consult a priets rather than the LJWORLD.

thebigspoon 3 years, 4 months ago

Galloway was a terrible person way back when he attended West Junior High school. He was a socipath then and will always be, period

fu7il3 3 years, 4 months ago

What would be the point of anyone going there? He's confessing to crimes he knows he can't be held accountable for due to statute of limitations. The guy is scum. He got paroled from a rape conviction, thus supposedly "rehabilitated," and immediately committed another sexual assault.

There is no rehabilitating this guy. Let's hear about other crimes he committed prior to his arrest in 2006, after he was paroled. Those he could actually be prosecuted for.

somebodynew 3 years, 4 months ago

WOW, guess we are touchy today. That is OK, I actually thought of more appropriate things. IF this guy really wants to clear his mind, why didn't he just contact the cops and let them check everything out BEFORE he went public.??? Did he bother to think that some of his victims (more than he listed) may not want to be reminded. This is just self-serving publicity on his end. Somrthing tells me he will politely refuse to be interviewed by detectives if they go there.

50YearResident 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe some of the other inmates will man up to the crimes that they 'got away with' too. For every crime a fellon gets caught for there are 10 more he committed that went unsolved. When making arrests, the police need to ask them all, what other crimes have you committed? But we all know that every person in jail now with the exception of this one person are "innocent" and wrongly convicted. They are waiting for their appeal to be heard so they can get released from a false conviction.

smitty 3 years, 4 months ago

He's being pimped by the therapy and treatment program in Kansas prisons, most probably.

Must be time to justify the renewal for that grant.

BigPrune 3 years, 4 months ago

maybe he found God. At least he's admitting to some things he may have or may not have allegedly committed.

Paula Kissinger 3 years, 4 months ago

Since his scheduled parole date is in 2036 I am going to go out on a limb here and say that for whatever reason he IS actually trying to do what his "rehabilitation" calls for which is admitting the crime, demonstrating remorse for it, making court ordered restitution to the victim, etc. I am at the end of that family's love list but admit that it appears to be a step in the right direction which I believe is very commendable for such an individual, given his inherited and behavioral family stigma. I have not seen it before overtly in any member of his family and admire his apparent decision to man-up and get it straight. I will guardedly and cautiously say to him : Good job on trying to break the cycle.

Amy Heeter 3 years, 4 months ago

somebodynew 3 years, 4 months ago

Soap 3 years, 4 months ago

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for quitting my job at the Hy-Vee bakery without proper notice in 2001.. To those of you who did not get donuts that day, I am sorry..

Clare Galloway 3 years, 4 months ago

ok why even bother with this now he isnt going any where new, and devin if your reading this why would you put family through more of your trouble, we have enough trouble getting over the last name and now this!!!

bigdave 3 years, 4 months ago

What a waste of money keeping this scum alive!!

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 4 months ago

what a slimeball. slimey as they get.