Archive for Sunday, November 28, 2010

Inmate, convicted by Douglas County jury, aims to come clean for crimes

November 28, 2010

Devin T. Galloway

Devin T. Galloway

In 1985, a Douglas County jury convicted Devin T. Galloway of Lawrence of the kidnapping and rape of a neighbor. Galloway was paroled in 2006 after serving more than 20 years for the crimes.

But Galloway, 48, says he committed several other local crimes for which he was never prosecuted.

As he settles into middle age — and a life sentence in a Texas prison for committing another crime — Galloway says a guilty conscience has him trying to set the record straight.

“I would very much like to express my sorrow and remorse,” wrote Galloway in letters to the Journal-World. “Also in my wake I left a lot of victims most are still living and I assume some have passed on to which I believe that revealing these crimes this will give my many victims some closure maybe?”

In the letters, Galloway takes blame for five Lawrence crimes — all occurring in the early 1980s. He wrote about three of the crimes, including:

• A 1982 robbery at gunpoint of a 16-year-old girl shopping on Massachusetts Street.

• A 1981 armed robbery at the Town & Country store. Galloway said that he “pulled the trigger on the gun however the gun misfired.”

• A 1983 armed robbery of a “credit union bank” near 23rd and Iowa streets.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, spokesman for Lawrence police, said investigators are looking into whether the information provided by Galloway matches with any unsolved cases from that time.

“It’s always nice to clear some old cases,” said Sarna, who added that police probably wouldn’t take any action against Galloway, as the statute of limitations on many of the crimes has long passed.

Admission by offenders for all crimes committed — even those they haven’t been arrested for — is part of the therapy and treatment in Kansas prisons, said Rik Kendall, director of correctional programs for DCCCA Inc.

But the lack of any repercussions for Galloway has Kendall, who has worked with thousands of offenders over the years, questioning Galloway’s motivation.

Is he a repentant offender trying to give closure to victims, or a publicity-hungry inmate with a lot of time on his hands?

“I wouldn’t attribute it to any sense of altruism,” Kendall said.

Galloway’s Douglas County conviction stemmed from a 1984 crime in which a neighbor said Galloway tied her up in her apartment and raped her. Galloway was sentenced to 30 years to life, though he was paroled after serving 21 years.

Galloway was arrested, convicted and sentenced to life in prison in Texas for a sexual assault committed shortly after he was paroled from Kansas in 2006.

Comments

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years ago

what a slimeball. slimey as they get.

bigdave 4 years ago

What a waste of money keeping this scum alive!!

Clare Galloway 4 years ago

ok why even bother with this now he isnt going any where new, and devin if your reading this why would you put family through more of your trouble, we have enough trouble getting over the last name and now this!!!

andrew55 4 years ago

I detect woe in your post. Not all with the surname of Galloway are on KDOC's list of inmates. Some (Pastor Galloway) have had a positive impact on Lawrence KS and the communities in which they live. Have you? Are you? Live above the fray. Don't let the past actions of others (over which you have no control) cause you to give up. It is not hereditary.

Clare Galloway 4 years ago

ok i know devin and his family there are a lot of good people in the family but this town(people) seem to want to link one person that did something and it reflects on the whole family- we just live the way we need to and are good people and do raise our kids to be good people i just want think devin is full of himself now

Soap 4 years ago

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for quitting my job at the Hy-Vee bakery without proper notice in 2001.. To those of you who did not get donuts that day, I am sorry..

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years ago

It's ok I went to Munchers instead. Haha I did the same thing, quit without notice. Felt like a real heel.

somebodynew 4 years ago

Amy Heeter 4 years ago

Paula Kissinger 4 years ago

Since his scheduled parole date is in 2036 I am going to go out on a limb here and say that for whatever reason he IS actually trying to do what his "rehabilitation" calls for which is admitting the crime, demonstrating remorse for it, making court ordered restitution to the victim, etc. I am at the end of that family's love list but admit that it appears to be a step in the right direction which I believe is very commendable for such an individual, given his inherited and behavioral family stigma. I have not seen it before overtly in any member of his family and admire his apparent decision to man-up and get it straight. I will guardedly and cautiously say to him : Good job on trying to break the cycle.

BigPrune 4 years ago

maybe he found God. At least he's admitting to some things he may have or may not have allegedly committed.

Amy Heeter 4 years ago

That I can agree with. I got one of those apologies when my father was incarcerated and involved in the sex offender training program. Then he appealed the conviction saying it was all lies. Inmates do these assignments so they can be housed in the threraputic comminities inside the prison.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

He's in a Texas prison, not Kansas

Amy Heeter 4 years ago

They have theraputic communities in other states too.

50YearResident 4 years ago

Maybe some of the other inmates will man up to the crimes that they 'got away with' too. For every crime a fellon gets caught for there are 10 more he committed that went unsolved. When making arrests, the police need to ask them all, what other crimes have you committed? But we all know that every person in jail now with the exception of this one person are "innocent" and wrongly convicted. They are waiting for their appeal to be heard so they can get released from a false conviction.

somebodynew 4 years ago

WOW, guess we are touchy today. That is OK, I actually thought of more appropriate things. IF this guy really wants to clear his mind, why didn't he just contact the cops and let them check everything out BEFORE he went public.??? Did he bother to think that some of his victims (more than he listed) may not want to be reminded. This is just self-serving publicity on his end. Somrthing tells me he will politely refuse to be interviewed by detectives if they go there.

fu7il3 4 years ago

What would be the point of anyone going there? He's confessing to crimes he knows he can't be held accountable for due to statute of limitations. The guy is scum. He got paroled from a rape conviction, thus supposedly "rehabilitated," and immediately committed another sexual assault.

There is no rehabilitating this guy. Let's hear about other crimes he committed prior to his arrest in 2006, after he was paroled. Those he could actually be prosecuted for.

thebigspoon 4 years ago

Galloway was a terrible person way back when he attended West Junior High school. He was a socipath then and will always be, period

Amy Heeter 4 years ago

His contrition holds little weight with me. We have no way of knowing if he really feels sorrow for his wrongs or not. Perhaps he should consult a priets rather than the LJWORLD.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years ago

While your opinions about DCCCA and Kendall may, or may not, be well founded, there is absolutely nothing in this article that supports them. Did you even read the article, or did you just see the names and feel the need to comment?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years ago

Go ahead and flatter yourself. No one else will.

Alceste 4 years ago

Off base here, smitty:

Rik Kendall is no poverty pimp for DCCCA. He is a straight shooter and operates as such.

Yes, DCCCA is PRIMARILY a poverty pimp operation....but not when it comes to the incarcerated.

Poverty Pimp status is better put on Bruce Beale of DCCCA and B. Wayne Sims for their pimping status with SRS and foster care and "re-unification"....now THAT, my friend is one big joke.....were it not so sad that the children are denied their rights and "placed", parental rights severed, and then said child is set in row boat...in foster care drift. B. Wayne Sims and Bruce Beale. Dare anybody to make a serious inquiry as to how much these pimps take in for "pay". What a laugh!

Leave Kendall alone....he does the best he can with what he is given.....and what he advocates for.....

Joe Hyde 4 years ago

Regardless whether Mr. Galloway's expressions of sorrow and remorse are truly heartfelt, if his belated confessions to these other crimes contain information that can be compared to the case data and confirmed, then the PD gets to close these cases. Removing those cases from further study makes life a little easier for investigators.

somebodynew 4 years ago

While that sounds good riverat, there are two things wrong with your statement: 1. What he has given so far won't actually be enough to legitimately clear a case, and I bet he refuses to talk in detail. 2. Iy you seriously think any of those old cases are still getting studied at all, you are sadly mistaken about investigations.

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

I think he has accepted his fate. But these where in the early 1980's, I hope some other black men did not go to prison for his crimes.

Paul Hahn 4 years ago

I commend Mr. Galloway for trying to do the right thing.

pace 4 years ago

i wish more people would own to their crimes.A lot of people sit in jail for other's deeds. I don't know how many people are capable of change, or being betterpersons but few will become better persons without facing what they did. I don't know about public confession but I do know that a lot of people lie to themselves, telling themselves they didn't do anything wrong. It is easy to dismiss or challenge the meaning of admission, owning some responsibility .It doesn't mean a thing if you doubt or "know" there are a hundred reasons, mostly bad for such confession. It might relieve a victim or be a step in being a responsible adult. I think it is better for the victims to know who did these crimes and for the victims to know that person is not on their block.

Terry Jacobsen 4 years ago

I care not about galloway's reasons. But if his admissions help anyone who was victimized then great!!

ralphralph 4 years ago

I agree. I like the idea of the program, and of resolving old, unsolved cases.

TopJayhawk 4 years ago

Paul I got a bridge to sell you. Jeez

pace 4 years ago

I don't believe a sorry or contrition without action. I don't think the person who buys a bridge is near as bad as the person who tries to sell the bridge.

fu7il3 4 years ago

I would seriously doubt the list is complete. The guy went to prison here for rape. He then went to prison in Texas for rape. Yet there are no sex crimes or rapes on the list. Are we to really believe those were the only two he ever committed and he just happened to get caught on both of them?

andrew55 4 years ago

Devin is the only one that knows why he decided to open wounds that time alone will never heal. He forfeited his freedom accordingly. His victims and family are still suffering.

justme1983 2 years, 8 months ago

Devin hurt a lot of people. Being someone who was hurt by him, I wish he never did this (contacting ljw) please don't talk ill of all Galloways. I wish this story would be removed. It was printed 2yrs ago and having people contact me about this opens up things I don't want to know.