Archive for Sunday, November 28, 2010

Armed robbery at Zarco Gas Station on Sixth Street

November 28, 2010

Lawrence Police Dispatch reported an armed robbery at Zarco Gas Station, 1415 W. Sixth Street at about 10 a.m.

Sergeant Kirk Fultz said the armed suspect went into the gas station demanding money from the cashier. According to police dispatch, the suspect stole several hundred dollars in cash before taking off on foot. Dispatch reported the suspect running southbound, wearing a dark, hooded sweatshirt and dark colored jeans.

Sgt. Fultz could not confirm the amount of money stolen, the type of weapon or a description of the suspect. The investigation is still ongoing.

Check back at LJWorld.com for more updates as they become available.

Comments

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

Daylight robbery? The miscreants are getting bolder.

fu7il3 4 years, 5 months ago

It also seems to be getting more frequent.

this_guy 4 years, 5 months ago

WOW! thats pretty krazy but the less you have to lose the more risk you take and the holidays put a lot of pressure on people.

50YearResident 4 years, 5 months ago

Couldn't there be a better description of the robber instead of the bland description of the two items of clothing? A little more help with information and the robber might actually be caught.

Bob Forer 4 years, 5 months ago

50YearResident 4 years, 5 months ago

Jerk? You must be talking to yourself while looking into the mirror. Anyone facing a gun can tell who is pointing it at them and remember some basics. Male/female, tall/short, color of face/hands, heavy/thin, maybe even eye coror and accent. Jerk!

sharong 4 years, 5 months ago

50year: You are a fool. You obviously have NEVER been the victim of an armed robbery! If you don't know what you're talking about, then SHUT UP!!!!

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 5 months ago

I bet it was one of the Anointed One Barack Obama's army of kleptosocialists trying to redistribute wealth.

JayCat_67 4 years, 5 months ago

Well at least it took five comments before someone made a politcal statement out of it. Granted, my sarcasometer is pegging right now, but jeesh!

Hope the catch the slimeball though.

1234 4 years, 5 months ago

These guys are brave with the number of CCW permits around this area........ one of these days the good guy will be in the right place at the right time, or the wrong place at the wrong time..... however you wish to look at it.

1234 4 years, 5 months ago

May not, but I bet I feel a lot better knowing I have some kind of protection against idiots like this guy..... and I bet you would feel a lot better if you were around a ccw carrier in a awful situation where a cop could not be there at that split second. Just saying.

overthemoon 4 years, 5 months ago

so everybody can get shot? No, I don't feel safer with people wandering around with loaded weapons. Not for a minumte.

DillonBarnes 4 years, 5 months ago

Yep, because all the CCH folks have been shooting everybody up over the last three years they've all been "wandering around with loaded weapons."

Three years, how many minumtes is that?

monheim 4 years, 5 months ago

Protection against a guy who is holding up a gas station? This isn't the Alan Rickman character from Die Hard here. I would much rather be in a situation of having a petty robbery going on and knowing no one around me has any guns and isn't going to start a firefight with this clown.

A bank robbery or a hostage situation is another story, but honestly...this isn't a saloon in Dodge City 1868.

DillonBarnes 4 years, 5 months ago

It's really situation dependent, whether that CCH holder feels that his or another life is threatened. How do you know that someone in that gas station wasn't carrying concealed and made the decision not to shoot?

This isn't Dodge City in 1868, but it is Lawrence, Topeka, and Kansas City in 2010, which is safer?

Jim Phillips 4 years, 5 months ago

Um, wrong! According to the Uniform Crime Reports maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, violent crime rates drop when Concealed Carry law rule the State. CCH holders may not personally quell a specific incident, the fact that CCH holders are out there does have an impact. And no, I will not cite chapter and verse for you. It is called research. Try it sometime.

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

There is nothing that makes a nation or an individual as mad as to have somebody say, “now this is really none of my business but I am just advising you.” If I sleep with a gun under my pillow, I don’t want somebody from across the street to “advise” me that I don’t need it.

Will Rogers

nomorebush 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't think they post crimes prevented by ccw holders butt I think they should.

frankfussman 4 years, 5 months ago

I thought that Zarco station had the cashier behind glass in the booth with a lower-level slot to use for transactions.

kinetix 4 years, 5 months ago

The suspects were likely from Topeka, agree?

50YearResident 4 years, 5 months ago

Maybe it would be a good idea to put a metal detector at the shelter entrance and others at the free meals places. Nab them before the next robbery.

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

Full body scan and pat downs are a small price to pay for security for the shelter workers and the rest of the town.

jackpot 4 years, 5 months ago

Presto on 9th went north, Zarco on 6th went south. Maybe the same guy?

50YearResident 4 years, 5 months ago

We will never know unless he was wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and dark colored jeans.

jackpot 4 years, 5 months ago

I remember the hooded sweatshirt, can't remember the jeans.

this_guy 4 years, 5 months ago

well a least he did try to be a hero . could have ended really bad , the gas station won't miss that 200$ the price of gas will cover that now if he would took gas that might have hurt them.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 5 months ago

once again thePsychofant is a blowhard.

I bet they've got video there, that's got your description dude.

yeah, wondered if Presto-thug was same guy. at least this time he didn't set the automatic on the counter, lol.
learning.

again I say: I blame the Hooddies!

notanoobhere 4 years, 5 months ago

He went south to mini Topeka "Ottawa". Or he was to stupid to know that I-70 is North gotta be the fastest way back to T-town.

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years, 5 months ago

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years, 5 months ago

here's what wasn't in the paper- a guy got robbed and pistol-whipped at Burger King last night, and some subjects were reported to be waving a gun around on Haskell this morning. Oh-and a guy at the Pool Room was arrested for waving a gun around last night.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

They might be from Topeka. You rob there, you might well get shot. You Lawrence folks are far too pc for anything like that. But it's okay to blame us. It makes you feel so much better. And we all know you guys don't worry about reality much.

monheim 4 years, 5 months ago

I would MUCH much rather be a bystander in this situation with no concealed carriers around. No shots fired, the perp takes some cash, runs off, gets busted later and the store gets its money back.

I just can't help but imagine if someone with a concealed pistol in there would have decided to intervene it wouldn't end well. What would normally be a petty stick-up for a couple hundred dollars could turn into a nasty firefight in an enclosed space with bystanders around.

DillonBarnes 4 years, 5 months ago

I think most CCH holders would agree that a couple hundred dollars isn't worth the life of the criminal. Unfortunately, you don't always know the intentions of the person robbing the place. How willing is that criminal to use their gun against innocent bystanders? We don't know that until after the fact.

Although I don't want anyone to get shot, if he is threatening lives, I'd much rather it be him than an innocent bystander.

this_guy 4 years, 5 months ago

hmmm... i still blame the holidays too much pressure . But it's not the people who have them legally who are committing thees crimes. let's be real BUSH voters they can find guns anywhere. Thats doesn't mean try to be a hero just be careful and if you at work . Its kind of weird that as many speed check and RADAR POLICE around none in that area. lol