Archive for Friday, November 26, 2010

Fambrough won’t be rallying KU before Mizzou game this year

November 26, 2010

One by one, former Kansas University football players stepped forward this week to talk to the current Jayhawks about what this weekend’s game with Missouri means.

As spirited as the speeches were, they generally lacked one thing — hatred.

Former KU coach and notorious Missouri-hater Don Fambrough was not asked by KU coach Turner Gill to speak to the team. Fambrough, a regular at practices under Mark Mangino, has not had the same relationship with the new KU coach, though he repeatedly has spoken out in support of Gill. Asked if Fambrough would talk to the team, Gill cited the former KU player and coach’s health as a reason he would not.

Before leaving his house Thursday for a Thanksgiving dinner at his son’s in Baldwin City, Fambrough said, “Nothing wrong with my health. I fell and broke my hip awhile back, but I’m OK. I’m up and at ’em. I can go against almost anybody in a one-on-one drill. Anybody wants to challenge me, I’m ready.”

For the newcomers on the KU roster, Fambrough’s absence did not mean much. For the veterans, though, it was a tough pill to swallow.

“That’s definitely one of the things you wait for every year, to hear him talk and tell the stories,” senior safety Chris Harris said. “That’s something we always love to hear every year, so it’s been kind of weird. We definitely miss it.”

Gill said Tuesday that he was aware of Fambrough’s feelings about the Tigers. For those who may not know them, here are some of Fambrough’s most outrageous rants:

— In 2005, when Fambrough was asked what he would say about Missouri if someone told him he had to say something nice: “I’ve been thinking about that for years. And I haven’t come up with one good thing yet.”

— In 2006, he recalled a time when doctors told him he needed surgery and recommend he visit a surgeon in Missouri: “I wouldn’t go,” he said. “I’d rather

die. I’d rather die than have some Missouri bastard cut on me.”

— In 2009, when being interviewed by a FOX Sports sideline reporter during KU’s game against Northern Colorado: “I disliked Missouri when I played against ’em. I disliked Missouri as an assistant coach. I disliked Missouri when I was a head coach, and I dislike ’em now. And I always will.”

— In 2009, during that same interview, Fambrough told a tale about a clause in the college fund he started for his young granddaughter: “Right at the top of the policy it says, ‘If you should by any means go to the University of Missouri, this scholarship is null and void.’”

For Fambrough, who vows to this day never to spend a dime in Missouri, the Border War — 11:30 a.m. Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo. — is about much more than football. It’s about right and wrong.

“He definitely takes this game real serious,” Harris said. “It’s not just a game for him. That gives us some motivation.”

Fambrough does not go to the game at Arrowhead because he believes strongly the rivalry games should be played on campus.

“You bet I’m supporting the team, and I always will,” Fambrough said. “This is my school. This is where I got my degree and where I played football. I’ll always be loyal to KU.”

Fambrough, whose salty language when talking about Missouri is in conflict with Gill’s no-cussing policy, said he had been asked to speak at a charity fundraiser tonight at Lawrence Country Club. He will share his feelings about Missouri there.

Gill had former Kansas offensive lineman David Lawrence, one of Fambrough’s all-time favorite players and the current color commentator on broadcasts, speak to the team about Missouri. Former KU linebacker Banks Floodman also shared his thoughts earlier this week.

Though Fambrough won’t be able to address the Jayhawks prior to Saturday’s game, Harris gave a pretty good impersonation of what the old coach might have to say.

“He’s always just like, ‘Guys, you block hard, you block hard and then block two more counts,’” Harris said with a scruffy voice. “He’s pretty much old-school, and he just tells us that every play we have to push even harder. Even if the whistle blows, we have to keep blocking.”

Comments

Robert Rauktis 4 years, 1 month ago

They STILL play this game in Kansas City?

somebodynew 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes, but Lew is gone, so maybe sanity will return for future games.

Matt Bowers 4 years, 1 month ago

WTF! Gill at some point you have got to realize that this is the Big XII and that cussing isn't a big deal. You coach the most violent sport, are you that stupid, that cussing is a point of emphasis. You are asking these young men to take hits and get the hell knocked out of them, but heaven forbid they break your moral code. You are not the moral police. Stop changing everything and just coach.

Too bad about Fambrough, hope Gill has got a good speech lined up. Since he won't cuss, I will. "Men, today you play like this is the only game of the season. Play like today is the only opportunity that each of you have to leave your mark on the field. Today you are going to go out there and knock the hell out of them, when they get up, knock the hell out them again. If you take a hit...just smile. Remember this one thing, there is nothing more enjoyable than beating Misery. Now go out there and give them hell!"

Rock Chalk

irvan moore 4 years, 1 month ago

coach Fambrough deserves a lot more respect than he is being given by the present coach, he earned it.

4everahawk 4 years, 1 month ago

kustrong: Loved your pregame speech. It is absolutely disgusting that Gill didn't have Fambrough give his annual speech. Sure, Gill doesn't cuss, but guess it's OK to LIE! Lying to the press that Fambrough had health issues that prevented him from speaking is worse morally than lying. Gill is a d-bag and still doesn't get it. Certainly hope a new AD sets him straight on a few things when he gets here. Gill probably won't be fired for a couple of years, but we can hope that the new AD will have some strong advice for him. I had to laugh when Gill said recently that his job 'didn't feel like a job''........well, he doesn't ACT like it is a real job either. He merely shows up and collects his 2 mil paycheck. In that instance, it appears that he finds nothing morally wrong with taking money that he hasn't earned and definitely doesn't deserve.

rse1979 4 years, 1 month ago

Agree. I'd much rather someone swear at me than lie to my face.

rgh 4 years, 1 month ago

There is NO ONE who understands the meaning of this game better than Coach Fam. If Gill had at least contacted him about possibly speaking and was told he couldn't that would have been one thing but to say he had health issues when Coach Fam himself denied, then something's wrong. I thought Gill was suppose to be an upfront and honest man.

jimmyjms 4 years, 1 month ago

Turner Gill is an embarrassment. Keep in mind that he makes something like $177,000 a game.

Jock Navels 4 years, 1 month ago

Kansas; protecting the world from Missouri since 1854...rip their beating hearts out.

newmedia 4 years, 1 month ago

How about using some of the money from the ticket scandal should any of it ever be recovered. That would make some nice seed money.

irvan moore 4 years, 1 month ago

ya know why it would cost so much to buy him out? because it's worth it!

Larry McGlinn 4 years, 1 month ago

It is becoming more and more evident why Tom Osborne did not want Gill for the Nebraska football coach. God! I wish he had hired him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drnater 4 years, 1 month ago

Your right Nebraska might be winning but there head coaches little temper tantrums he throws are so much better than Gills morals. Osbornes had to cover his backside a few times since the hiring, and he just had another outburst, worse than all of em. You guys crack me up in your backwards worlds.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 1 month ago

"Your" should be You're.... "there" should be their...... "coaches" should be "coach's" "Osbornes" should be Osborn....

You nonbackwards world people didn't have to learn how to use English?

oldvet 4 years, 1 month ago

Hit the road, Gill, And don't you come back No more, no more, no more, no more!

Hit the road, Gill, And don't you come back No more...

What'd you say? ( repeat from the beginning....)

mr_right_wing 4 years, 1 month ago

Just in case there were a few who didn't think Coach Gill is a certified moron, there's your proof; give the cold shoulder to probably the biggest and most fiercely loyal fan the football program has (and will ever) have.

...and even after that, Coach Fam will be cheering for Coach and the team150%