Archive for Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Kansas Rep. Forrest Knox plans to push bill to allow concealed carry of guns in public buildings

November 24, 2010

A legislator is re-loading his bill that would allow concealed carry of guns in public buildings, including those at Kansas University.

“If you are not going to provide security, then don’t deny someone that the state has allowed to provide for their own security,” said Rep. Forrest Knox, R-Altoona.

Under Knox’s bill, persons who are licensed to carry a concealed gun would be allowed to bring a weapon into a state or city facility unless the building had adequate security measures, such as electric scanners, to ensure that no weapons could be brought in.

During the 2010 legislative session, Knox’s bill was approved by the Kansas House, 65-57, but it got bogged down in a Senate committee.

When the Legislature convenes in January for the 2011 session, Knox said he will be pushing his bill again.

“Rationality is on my side. I introduced it last year to get people thinking about security,” he said.

Rep. Paul Davis, D-Lawrence, whose district includes KU, disagrees with the bill.

“I think we have to give the universities the ability to regulate their own campuses,” Davis said. “This is really micro-management by the Legislature.”

Gary Sherrer, chairman of the Kansas Board of Regents, said the regents will oppose the proposal.

“Young people. Dormitories. Guns. Bad combination,” Sherrer said.

“We have looked at this issue and we believe there is a far greater danger by having a major proliferation of weapons on campus than there is by not having them,” he said.

He said regents universities have developed security plans with the assistance of a national consultant, and that consultant never mentioned concealed carry as a way to make campuses safer.

Comments

libertarianjim 3 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone really think the Kansas Legislature is capable of proper governance?

somedude20 3 years, 4 months ago

Well, I do not feel safe just having a loaded handgun hidden in my pants. With all of the thugs and people who already have guns, I will only feel safe once I can carry a loaded rocket launcher.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 4 months ago

There are a lot of countries in the world that rely on armed guards with automatic weapons to protect college campuses. I have been in countries where I could see guards with UZI's standing in plain view. It creeped me out.

If given the choice of having to rely on the government for protection, I would much prefer an armed citizenry.

That may be one of the prerequisites to maintaining our liberty.

It may be hard to understand today, but in a future when our country may become rife with civil strife, are we a nation that can put our complete trust in poltical leaders or does the United States of America exist because of free individual citizens who created a nation that fears the power of politicians?

I think we need to be more concerned about the amount of power the government has been acquiring over our lives, not just the Democrats or the Republicans but rather, anyone in power trying to take away our rights in the age of technology when every secret about your life is available with a few mouse clicks and no law is going to stop the government from getting something they want bad enough.

We should consider the lesson of the frog in the frying pan and ask ourselves an important question. Are individual freedoms, property rights and respect for individual citizens of the United States weaker or stronger than they were 25 years ago?

The growing power of technology to monitor the lives of individual citizens is something that may be our downfall if the children of free men are not threatened by being disarmed by their own government under the pretense that they will be safer.

seeker_of_truth 3 years, 4 months ago

Why doesn't this republican idiot work at solving the states real problems?

lorim 3 years, 4 months ago

I am a faculty member, and I do not want my students or my colleagues carrying concealed weapons on campus. It is a terrible idea. I will actively lobby against it.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

umm, mmm, mmmmmm, mm, mm! Give me my guns but don't touch my junk! . . . The Revolution is gonna be awkward . . .

Joe Hyde 3 years, 4 months ago

I wish the energy behind this issue of gun ownership/carry could be re-directed in such a way that the universities and the NCAA develop a comprehensive athletic program of competitive shooting sports. Pistol, rifle, air rifle, trap, skeet, metallic silhouettes, biathlon, sporting clays, etc. -- all these contests held between universities would be a great way for young folks who enjoy firearms to get their ya-yas out. They would be athletes officially representing their schools and their states, a pretty cool feeling as any athlete can tell you.

Moreover, holding these various competitive matches at college level would certainly improve our nation's chances of medaling in the Olympic shooting sports. The cream gets a chance to rise to the top.

By comparison, letting young shooters pack concealed heat into regular college classrooms does nothing to improve their shooting skill, much less generate a favorable public interest in the shooting sports.

autie 3 years, 4 months ago

To review briefly. The man is dumber than a brick. Go talk to him sometime. You will see what I mean.

getreal 3 years, 4 months ago

I just love these hypocrites. Government bad, but I'll take MY government paycheck. Government provided health care bad, but I'll take MY government provided health care. Gun bans in public buildings bad, but gun bans in the Capitol where Forrest works is good. The party so concerned with job creation gives us this right out of the gate. WHERE ARE THE JOBS YOU PROMISED??????????

Joe Blackford II 3 years, 4 months ago

RepKnox - May I suggest you call this the John Wilkes Booth Memorial CC Law?

and in other news, as KSU security arrived upon the scene, they mistakenly shot both students carrying guns. Manhattan's Barney Fife later found the CC permit on the dead hero. His Facebook page states Marshall "Burp" Earp was a fan of John Wayne westerns. The family traces its roots to the eldest Earp brother who owned a cathouse in Abilene, once protected by his brother, Wyatt, before moving to Dodge City . . . . .

oldvet 3 years, 4 months ago

Remember... when seconds count... the police are only minutes away!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 4 months ago

Well, just look at all the Wild West shoot-outs between concealed-carry permit holders in Lawrence over parking places! Oh, wait, that seems to have not happened despite being strongly predicted during the run-up to legalization of concealed carry.

booyalab 3 years, 4 months ago

The "gun free" signs are obviously so effective, I think we need to do the same for murder. I mean we need signs. Maybe hang a giant sign around lady liberty's neck that says "USA is a Murder Free Zone!" I just wouldn't feel safe in a country where people were allowed to conceal the motivation to murder someone.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 4 months ago

This probably wouldn't increase the likelihood of gun violence on campus. But it likely wouldn't decrease it, either. As long as we, collectively, believe that we need to carry guns around in order to be safe, that belief is not going to be limited to folks who are licensed concealed carriers.

The main effect concealed carry will have on society is to reinforce the idea that guns make us safe, and it's those who are most apt to commit violence who will feel the greatest need to pack a gun, legally or not.

As a society, we are rather immature and prone to violence. Until that changes, we'll go right on shooting each other to death, concealed carry or no.

autie 3 years, 4 months ago

Phorrest Knox is a royal dip of the highest degree. He is a huge embarassment to the mindful, educated people of his district. He is so bad he thought Alan Cobb was cool. He can take his gun totin law and pack it in his concealed carry gastric regions.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 4 months ago

“Young people. Dormitories. Guns. Bad combination,” Sherrer said.

This statement tells me that this man does not understand guns, gun owners, the concealed carry law, or who lives in dormitories.

Gary Denning 3 years, 4 months ago

Woudl this apply to K-12 schools?

parrothead8 3 years, 4 months ago

"Knox had said he believed the gunman who killed 32 at Virginia Tech University in 2007 would have been stopped more quickly if someone else had been carrying a concealed weapon."

That's laughable. There's nothing to prove that's true. More guns in an area full of people could just as easily have caused MORE people to get killed/injured.

I don't want people with concealed weapons roaming the halls of the public buildings I frequent. That's NOT going to make me feel safe.

scott3460 3 years, 4 months ago

Prediction: Guns in bars in Kansas in less than 5 years.

Betty Bartholomew 3 years, 4 months ago

I work in an office on campus that gets a lot of angry people in. People who probably qualify by legal standards (though not by mine) to carry a gun. People who are warm and fuzzy until they get to our office, then they turn into raving loonies. People who would normally leave their guns at home (where they belong!) because they are law-abiding, but would probably start bringing them to campus if this bill went through.

Do you really think I want to have to worry that Dr. Jekyll is going to turn into Mr. Hyde and pull a gun on me to get his way? Hell, no!

So unless and until the state (oh, we're so poor, we can't afford anything!) can find the money to help the universities in this state come up to whatever security standards this bill would require, they'd best shelve the idea.

michaelclayton 3 years, 4 months ago

Forget guns. I want to carry TNT.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Great! Hope this gets passed soon! Next we need a bill allowing legal concealed carry on aircraft! After all . . . .

Flap Doodle 3 years, 4 months ago

And just across our southern border, in a country that has very strict laws regarding who can own firearms: "MEXICO CITY - Mexico's government is telling migrants driving home for the holidays from the United States that they should form convoys for their own safety while traveling through Mexico, and an official said Monday that police will accompany convoys on the most dangerous stretches of highway. A seemingly intractable wave of drug cartel violence has made some border highways, especially in the states of Tamaulipas, Sonora and Sinaloa, so dangerous that the U.S. State Department urges travelers to avoid driving on some of the roads. "When there are hot spots, we can request that a patrol escort the convoy," said Itzel Ortiz, the director of the Paisano Program, which is in charge of welcoming returning migrants and ensuring their trips home are safe..." Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/11/22/20101122mexico-holiday-convoy-safety.html#ixzz16Eup9gR8

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 4 months ago

So if a place doesn't have metal detectors, I should be able bring a gun, just in case I have to shoot someone...

tomatogrower 3 years, 4 months ago

We don't have bigger problems in Kansas?

inquire 3 years, 4 months ago

Hey Mr. Knox, it is absolutely impossible to have gun related incidents in areas where guns are absent. Or... the more guns you have, the higher the chance for gun related incidents.

BrianR 3 years, 4 months ago

I really have no fear that a CCH person is going to pose a threat. On the other hand, the rest of the gun totin' public is a different story.