Archive for Friday, November 19, 2010

Josh Selby nets nine-game suspension

Kansas freshman guard Josh Selby laughs with head coach Bill Self during a news conference announcing that Selby will be released to play following a nine-game suspension. Selby's first game will be Saturday against USC.

November 19, 2010, 9:09 p.m. Updated November 19, 2010, 11:51 p.m.

NCAA rules on Josh Selby

Josh Selby addressed the media on the NCAA's ruling after Kansas' win over Friday, November 19, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas defeats North Texas, 93-60

The Kansas men's basketball team made 14 of its first 15 field goals in the second half, running away from North Texas in a 93-60 victory on Friday night at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas freshman guard Josh Selby talks with media members along side head coach Bill Self during a news conference announcing that Selby will be released to play following a nine-game suspension.

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Josh Selby and Bill Self

KU freshman Josh Selby and KU coach Bill Self answer questions about the NCAA's ruling on Selby following KU's 93-60 victory over North Texas on Nov. 19, 2010.

The NCAA released the following statement regarding Josh Selby on Friday night:

The NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff has ruled University of Kansas men’s basketball student-athlete Josh Selby must sit out nine regular season games and repay $5,757.58 in impermissible benefits to the charity of his choice.

The university declared the student-athlete ineligible when it found Selby and his family accepted impermissible benefits prior to him signing an athletic aid agreement to play basketball for Kansas. The university can appeal the decision to the Division I Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee.

The reinstatement staff’s decision is consistent with student-athlete reinstatement committee guidelines which start at a 30 percent withholding from games for a student-athlete who receives impermissible benefits valued at more than $1,000.

“Our members have made it clear that student-athletes who receive impermissible benefits must be held accountable,” stated Kevin Lennon, vice president for academic and membership affairs.

The reinstatement committee is the final appeal opportunity in the initial-eligibility process. It is an independent panel comprised of representatives from NCAA member colleges, universities and athletic conferences.

Impermissible benefits are those benefits provided to an individual based on their status as an athlete, unless other NCAA rules permit the benefit in question.

The reinstatement staff considers a number of factors when deciding each case. These include the nature and seriousness of the violation; any impermissible benefits received; the student-athlete’s level of responsibility; any mitigating factors presented by the university; applicable NCAA guidelines; and any relevant case precedent.

“This process had several moving parts, the first one being academics," said KU Interim Athletics Director Sean Lester. "Once that was addressed we and the NCAA moved to the eligibility aspect. We knew it would take time, and we appreciate our partnership with the NCAA and our constant communication during this process.”

Selby will make his debut against Southern Cal on Dec. 18.

“Even though I’m disappointed I have to miss nine games, I’m happy that I know when I can be on the court with my teammates,” Selby said in a release. “I’m looking forward to helping my team win another conference championship.”

KU coach Bill Self commented on Selby's ruling after KU's 93-60 victory over North Texas on Friday night.

"It is fair and certainly understandable," Self said. "He is kind of a victim of circumstance, to be quite honest. We do have rules, and it's pretty clear how the rules read, but if you're a 17-year-old out there and nobody tells you these things, you could easily get caught up in the same thing. Hopefully, he can be an example for other youngsters out there moving forward.

"He's disappointed that it's that many games, but he's excited to know that he will be in a Kansas uniform before too long."

Interactive Timeline

Josh Selby Timeline

View the timeline in a separate page

Comments

CHEEZIT 4 years ago

Okay does that include games already played? Let the questions begin!!!

riverdrifter 4 years ago

Well, it's done. This is about as I anticipated. NCAA to students: don't hang with agent-types. Seems as though the NCAA could've revealed this ruling a month ago, though. Maybe the lengthy silent treatment from the NCAA is part of the punishment.

riverdrifter 4 years ago

Thanks, Charlie. So, tell us what you know about the NCAA and its thought process in this case.

topflight 4 years ago

Check out the CJonline. There article advises that he has already served three of the nine game suspensions. Urinalworld.com, gotta love it.

topflight 4 years ago

Sorry, "Their" article. Just excited KU fans finally get some good news.

KULHSLIONSfan 4 years ago

Great reporting LJ world. However, the game on the 18th is against USC. It was quite easy to add the number of games. Flight can take a hike and read news elsewhere. I appreciate the great job the LJ world does in reporting news. If you don't like it, don't read it.

It's amazing the number of whiners and complainers about our newspaper who continue to read it and complain. They must see something they like.

commentor2000 4 years ago

Oh God forbid anyone offer some suggestions. I forgot we live in a world where everything's rainbows and unicorns and you can't correct anyone.

Guess what, I like my son, so does that mean if messes up I should keep my mouth shut and go find another son? I'm thinking not. I could probably just correct him so he gets it right next time.

But it the spirit of things: It's amazing the number of whiners and complainers about our newspaper comments who continue to read the comments and complain. They must see something they like.

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

It is about right, and works out for KU, he gets some games in before the Big 12 season. What is going to make me mad if the same thing happens like the John Wall case, where the agent who got him in trouble ending up being his agent anyway in April.

MustHaveSalt 4 years ago

The NCAA has a lot of nerve. What a monopoly.

notajayhawk 4 years ago

What were these almost $6K in impermissible benefits, anyway? I really haven't been following this story much, have they said?

Yide 4 years ago

I'm wondering the same thing. What evidence do they have that he received these benefits? How long have they had this evidence?

Selby's response seems to be an acceptance of the punishment which implies that he actually did receive improper benefits. Otherwise he would be upset with the decision and try to appeal.

I just wish I knew how long they have had this "evidence" so I could be upset that it took them so long?

riverdrifter 4 years ago

Uhm, driving the DH agent's Bentley was, I think, an irritant to the NCAA...

Yide 4 years ago

Does anyone remember how much John Wall had to repay last year and how many games he was suspended for?

Rich Noever 4 years ago

NCAA has outlived it's usefulness.

ralphralph 4 years ago

Sleaze. What a filthy place KU is.

Let's see ... unethical AD, indicted ticket office staff, sleazy agent-bred recruits, .... nice.

Way to join the sleaze-fest, Bill Self.

notajayhawk 4 years ago

I can't help but wonder if the suspension might have been a tad longer if this kid hadn't been a top-ten recruit playing for a top-ten team. Seems fortuitous that his debut is scheduled for a Saturday afternoon game on ESPN-1.

pfunk81 4 years ago

He probably wouldn't have gotten any benefits at all if he wasn't a top ten player. Calhoun was trying to get this guy too, figured you would have known that.

notajayhawk 4 years ago

I did know that, actually.

And yeah, duh, he wouldn't have gotten the benefits, no kiddin'. I'm only saying that it seems like the length of the suspension had more to do with how much ESPN had at risk on selling commercial time than with anything else. And my comment wasn't so much directed at KU or Selby, but at the NCAA - it's not as if the same standards don't apply for other big names and big schools that the league makes their TV money from.

Gregory Newman 4 years ago

where have you guys been? The mom is a child hood friend of the agent. Its a sick sad foolish shame that someone would have to part ways because of the National Correctional Athletic Association. I have a 6ft 13 yr old grandson let them say he can't have PaPa's car. I will make it real ugly.

notajayhawk 4 years ago

Is PaPa a professional sports agent?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years ago

Oh, goodie, goodie, gumdrops! Another one and gone for KU's NBA program. Just when will the university wake up to the futility of coddling these kids with clear intention of using the KU team as a stepping stone to the pro leagues? And just what sort of character does he have with violations that rate a suspension?

Oh, but I forgot, winning is not everything, winning is the only thing. Great curriculum for a major university! Win or die.

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

KU can stop getting one and done guys, just don't recruit the top 10 (or even 20) high school players every season. How good will KU be, year to year.

Richard Payton 4 years ago

Why didn't the NCAA go after Ryan Leaf? Does the NCAA have a fair policy across the board not hardly. This is one of the few cases I think the NCAA did issue a fair ruling.