Archive for Thursday, November 18, 2010

Kansas Gov.-elect Sam Brownback inaugural to include community service events, prayer service

November 18, 2010

Precinct-by-precinct breakdown of the 2010 race for Kansas Governor

View our interactive map that provides a precinct-by-precinct breakdown of how Lawrence voted in the 2010 election.

— Inaugural festivities for Kansas Gov.-elect Sam Brownback will include community service events and a prayer service.

Brownback says his inaugural committee is working with community groups to organize the service events. He said Kansans need to help each other because more than 100,000 people are unemployed.

The inaugural committee plans to have those events from Jan. 5 through Jan. 7.

The traditional inaugural ball is Jan. 8 in Topeka, with the prayer service Jan. 9 at MidAmerica Nazarene University in Olathe.

Brownback and other statewide elected officials will be sworn in Jan. 10 on the south steps of the Statehouse in Topeka.

Comments

leftylucky 4 years, 6 months ago

Hope he invites Bucky.

www.kansas.com/static/brownback-girl/

trinity 4 years, 6 months ago

i will affix my favorite old colander atop my noggin and give homage to the FSM grand poobah! that'll be a way to celebrate, hells yeah!

gccs14r 4 years, 6 months ago

Obama is about as far left as Richard Nixon was.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 6 months ago

Keep your religion to yourself please, Mr. Brown Nose. Separation of church and state!

Larry Bauerle Jr. 4 years, 6 months ago

So, he has a prayer meeting the day before he becomes a state employee on private property, and that somehow violates "separation of church and state"?

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

yes, Kansans, let's help one another. Instead of getting on your knees, and clasping your hands together, making an internal wish for things you'd like to happen; get up and use those hands to make something happen.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 6 months ago

They are no longer allowed to say "In Jesus name we pray..." Just a simple "Amen" has to suffice.

BUT...we do still have "One nation under God" & "In God we trust".

somedude20 4 years, 6 months ago

Oh lordy lordy the savior is a comin to shine his light down on us and smite all of the sinners. I'm a gonna put some extra coins in the preist's baskest on Sunday so he cans fill me with his holy ghosts!

god bless you Brownback, you are a saint amongst these Lawrence heathens

tomatogrower 4 years, 6 months ago

"I'm a gonna put some extra coins in the preist's baskest on Sunday so he cans fill me with his holy ghosts"

Or so he can pay for his fancy car and his hookers.

Steve Bunch 4 years, 6 months ago

If ever there was a need for prayer, this is it.

Gene Wallace 4 years, 6 months ago

I do banish and cast from you, Mr. Brownback, all that is unfit and unclean that you may become a proper public servant. So Mote It Be!

riverdrifter 4 years, 6 months ago

Maybe somebody can sneak into the prayer meetin' reception and spike the punchbowl with a half-gallon of Everclear. "Loosen up Brownie, you're too tight!"

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 6 months ago

Are state funds being used to pay for the "prayer breakfast"?

Larry Bauerle Jr. 4 years, 6 months ago

It's a Sunday morning. . . at a church. More than likely a regular service. It didn't even say breakfast. He wouldn't even be a state employee yet, and would have already relinquished his federal job. Breathe slowly. It will be okay.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't care as long as state funds aren't being paid to fund a religious function. He can party over his inauguration in any way he wishes as long as it doesn't come out of our (broke) state's pockets.

BigDog 4 years, 6 months ago

State funds don't pay for the inauguration ..... it is paid for by contribution.

I would like to know if you or others asked this question when Governor Sebelius had her prayer breakfast and mass at Assumption Church as part of her inauguration?

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 6 months ago

OK. Calm down. I just asked the question. No, I didn't know about Sebelius. I wasn't living here when she took office. See my comment above.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 6 months ago

Alright, let's just focus on the "Prayer Service" and ridicule that, and completely ignore and grant no credit to the "Community Service Events".

Liberals.................

mr_right_wing 4 years, 6 months ago

"Separation of Church and State" is a concept explained in a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association from Thomas Jefferson:

Here's what The Constitution actually says:

Please read the whole thing carefully; it protects the right of free religious expression, etc. By reading the whole text you'll notice the protection goes both ways; separation of church from state AND separation of state from church. It's not the one-sided issue folks like you portray it to be. (Either through ignorance, or very selective reasoning.) The article does not call for a 'Godless nation' it rather forbids a "Church of England" situation to exist in this country. (...and rightfully so.)

Keep in mind friend that every single piece of paper money as well as all of your coins have the national motto "in God we trust" imprinted on them. (If I considered myself a 'serious atheist' I'd refuse to handle any currency like that....)

MrRighty 4 years, 6 months ago

So who decided my reply to Ricky Vaughn and the lesson about separation of church and state needed to be removed? Speak up....don't be a coward. I don't believe there was anything derogatory or offensive in the post. Just a REAL history lesson. Too bad the world is so full of such shallow-skinned individuals.