Archive for Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Style Scout: Natasha Kastl

Clothing Details:

Blouse: LaRok, Fall 2009, $298.

Jeans: True Religion, Bauhaus, Fall 2010, $253.

Boots: Jessica Simpson, Bauhaus Fall 2009, $128.

Belt: Cole Haan, Fall 2010, gift.

Agate/Citrine Ring: Manu, Barney’s, Fall 2010, $245.

Necklace: Lydia Hull, Bauhaus, Fall 2010, $56.

Clothing Details: Blouse: LaRok, Fall 2009, $298. Jeans: True Religion, Bauhaus, Fall 2010, $253. Boots: Jessica Simpson, Bauhaus Fall 2009, $128. Belt: Cole Haan, Fall 2010, gift. Agate/Citrine Ring: Manu, Barney’s, Fall 2010, $245. Necklace: Lydia Hull, Bauhaus, Fall 2010, $56.

November 17, 2010, 7:14 p.m. Updated November 17, 2010, 7:14 p.m.

Clothing Details:

Blouse: LaRok, Fall 2009, $298.

Jeans: True Religion, Bauhaus, Fall 2010, $253.

Boots: Jessica Simpson, Bauhaus Fall 2009, $128.

Belt: Cole Haan, Fall 2010, gift.

Agate/Citrine Ring: Manu, Barney’s, Fall 2010, $245.

Necklace: Lydia Hull, Bauhaus, Fall 2010, $56.

Name: Natasha Kastl

Age: 27

Sign: Sagitarius/Capricorn cusp

Occupation: Buyer and boutique owner of Bauhaus

Hometown: Billings, Montana

Time in Lawrence: Almost 10 years

What were you doing when you were scouted? Working at Bauhaus

How would you describe your style? Eclectic. My style is always driven by self-expression. I don’t plan outfits ahead, I just have to feel them out day-by-day.

What are your current favorite fashion trends? I like to mix styles and genres and juxtapose textures. I was also awestruck by the mixing of patterns that showed up in so many fall fashion lines. It stood out as a very new trend, much different than the usual reinvention of trends and shapes from past decades.

What are your least favorite fashion trends? Although I do like some of the utilitarian, military-inspired fashions, I was a bit surprised that they’re back so strongly again. I’d prefer something fresh.

What would you like to see more of in Lawrence? Men catching up with jean trends. I feel like the Midwest is wearing denim that is two years behind, and I challenge all of Lawrence’s men to wear more fitted jeans.

What would you like to see less of in Lawrence? Less casual dressing for occasions that would typically be dressy. Lots of women in Lawrence want to dress up but feel like they’ll be over-dressed.

Do you have any fashion influences? For my shop, Lauren Conrad is a big influence. I personally love Kate Moss. She sets trends. She’s a model but she also serves as a muse for many designers.

Do you have any piercings or tattoos? I have a cartilage piercing and I’ve been contemplating a tattoo.

People say I look like… Taylor Swift, especially if I do my hair in curls or ringlets. I think people make that comment more often because she is associated with KU.

Tell us a secret: I have a girl crush on Alia, the owner of Adorned. She’s so exotic and beautiful. I’m in awe of her.

Comments

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 1 month ago

$250 jeans?

"For my shop, Lauren Conrad is a big influence."

Isn't she one of those reality tv failures?

"Men catching up with jean trends. I feel like the Midwest is wearing denim that is two years behind, and I challenge all of Lawrence’s men to wear more fitted jeans."

Good lord.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 1 month ago

"I challenge all of Lawrence’s men to wear more fitted jeans."

Even the ones 50 lbs. (or more) overweight?

monkey_c 4 years, 1 month ago

And I bet you look hot in them. I vote no on men wearing what look to be womens jeans (skinny jeans) yuck. And for that opinion I'm glad to be behind the times.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 1 month ago

A $130.00 belt ???? It better do more than hold your pants up.

amandalee 4 years, 1 month ago

Her shoes are $130. It didn't list the price for the belt. Learn how to read before you comment.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 1 month ago

More fitted jeans? I'm all for tights and cod-pieces.

somedude20 4 years, 1 month ago

I would wear a cod-piece if it had a saw blade sticking out of it and shot sparks like Blackie Lawless from WASP

monkey_c 4 years, 1 month ago

She does look nice, but not $980 nice.

compassionnotgreed 4 years, 1 month ago

There are people who don't even have a house to live in and this person is spending that kind og money on vanity; you should be ashamed of yourself

compassionnotgreed 4 years, 1 month ago

You are obviously a caring and compassionate person who understands the relationship between empoverishment and mass consumerism, after all when people in your own back yard don't have opportunities or even basic necessities there's nothing wrong with paying $900.00 for an outfit, and there is no relationship between that person's lifestyle and the continuous lack in the community's ability to develop successful programs for helping the poorest in the community and being abble to provide the appropriate resources for doing so, you selfrighteous twit... I've always heard you Navy boys were really up on the intricacies of socio-economic relations.

MyName 4 years, 1 month ago

So what if she doesn't have a car and spends some of the car payment on her clothes and gives the rest of it to the Salvation Army? Does that now allow her to join the Good Person(TM) club?

If you don't want people to be judged because they are poor, you should also be willing to cut some slack to those who are not poor.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 1 month ago

I'll spot her 900$ for her outfit. But the biddy from the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills that spent $60,000 on a birthday party for a 4 year old and doesn't work a day in her life; that is conspicuous consumption designed to pee off the masses.

Mari Aubuchon 4 years, 1 month ago

First of all, posting hurtful comments about strangers is hardly what I would term compassionate.

You do realize that she is wearing clothing from her own store, don't you? Fashion is her way of making a living and is reflected in the clothing she wears to work. Even if this were not the case, choosing to spend the money she earned on something she enjoys is not a sin. She is not depriving the poor of adequate clothing, food, or shelter by spending what is really a rather insignificant amount of her own money.

The money she pays in property and income taxes and that those who shop at her store pay in sales taxes supports programs that help the poor in our community, state, and nation. The rate of taxation, how the money is used and whether available programs are sufficient or effective are different issues entirely.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 1 month ago

I must have missed the memo that LJW was getting another designated scold.

MyName 4 years, 1 month ago

yeah, didn't you get that memo? It was right after the one about the new cover letters on your TPS reports...

deec 4 years, 1 month ago

Yeahhh...I'm just gonna go ahead and get you another copy of that memo...

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 1 month ago

All those kids from Johnson County that go to KU, yo. People that actually live here tend to shop at Salvation Army and Walmart.

labmonkey 4 years, 1 month ago

Men should get their jeans from unionlabel.com. They are $30-40 each, well made, and most importantly, American made.

BorderRat 4 years, 1 month ago

Fitted jeans are like a cheap Hotel.... No ballroom.

irvan moore 4 years, 1 month ago

i'm old and proud to be a heck of a lot more than 2 years out of style.

qheysea 4 years, 1 month ago

Man, this gal is doing something that NOBODY else is doing in Lawrence. More power to her and her business. Style changes from generation to generation and people who want to spend more money on what they wear always have and always will. Lay off of her, she's doing something good for our town, unlike all this stupid negativity that the same 5 people always dish out on these comment threads. Here's an idea, how about you try and say nothing but nice, supportive things for 1 week and see how you feel. Judging is so worthless. Peace.

wysiwyg69 4 years, 1 month ago

Why, I ask, why, would anybody in their right mind leave Montana and move to Lawrence?

farmgal 4 years, 1 month ago

Have you ever been to Billings? it's a dump. now NW Montana, yes, that's paradise compared to Lawrence.

Mike Hoffmann 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm telling you you look like Carly Simon.

riverdrifter 4 years, 1 month ago

I'd have to sell one of my shotguns to dress Natasha today. Pass.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 1 month ago

You look nice in that outfit Natasha. Even if if the cost of of would pay nearly two months of my rent. I'd like to know something, though. All but a couple of pieces of it came from your own shop. Did you by chance pay wholesale for it and then report the cost in retail?

Scott Morgan 4 years, 1 month ago

Tasha, Keep it up. You have a gorgeous smile and look great. I guess some around here would have a Ford car dealer drive an old Pinto, or a paint store owner live in a poorly painted house.

My bride of many moons loves fashion clothes. She lives for bargains too. I like comfy clothes and hate shopping. Big deal we get along fine.

Guiltolibs are something. There once was a place where everybody lived and dressed almost the same. Memory is fading, but didn't they have to build walls and fences to keep citizens in?

blindrabbit 4 years, 1 month ago

farmgal: Right on about Billings; but give me Bozeman, Livingston or Missoula!

missmagoo 4 years, 1 month ago

I was thinking mid-40's when I saw the pic.. 27? No way.

damnitimpissed 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh wow, that one may have been the worst....

cozy 4 years, 1 month ago

I was thinking mid-late 30s.

I can also see a couple other places where some cash shouldve been spent.....

Kansas_Scene 4 years, 1 month ago

STEP UP YA GAME AND QUIT HATIN Y'ALL SLEEP WALKING

Danimal 4 years, 1 month ago

Boooo fitted jeans on men, booooooo!!! Men in the Midwest don't wear fitted jeans because we're still men, unlike our androgenized brethren on the coasts.

Alison Roberts 4 years, 1 month ago

Any man that wears skinny jeans should be shot. How do your balls breathe? I do NOT like that trend and there are plently of hipster/emo spazoids in Lawrence that wear them--they all look like they are in pain and I have a feeling they will have trouble procreating later in life.

amandalee 4 years, 1 month ago

It is so easy to hide behind the anonymity of online comments. It's ok to disagree with her, but some of your comments are attacking her personally. Get over yourself. I would love for some of you to be featured in the LJ world, just so others can make crude and ignorant comments about you.

So what if you wouldn't pay this much money for clothes? No one is forcing you. I challenge all of you walk in her boutique and meet the store owner yourself. She is a lovely person, who will treat you with kindness and respect, no matter how expensive your outfit is.

mindymei 4 years ago

Wow. Just, wow. I always thought of Lawrence as a tolerant place, but apparently a feature on a local business owner gives people free reign to attack her personally. Yes, you can disagree with how much her outfit cost, but tearing apart her age, her looks, where she's from?? I can't believe this.

I echo amandalee's challenge. Go in, meet her and understand she's a real person instead of attacking her on an anonymous forum.